Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 15:50   #4156
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
There is definitely a way to switch off navigation.

You need to select "Route" menu in the Navigation screen (bottom left I think) and select "Delete this Route".
tachobells, I believe Vasuki is asking about how to switch off the complete map-my-india.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 18:39   #4157
Senior - BHPian

Guys, do you know if Dealers have increased the prices of XUV after the budget changes in taxes and now charging the increased price from customer? My friend booked a W6 last month and now he is being told to shell out 30K more due to budget. Is there a way he can get a old pre-budget price if he goes for, let say jan feb manufactured XUV? Is this possible?
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 19:52   #4158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

You need to select "Route" menu in the Navigation screen (bottom left I think) and select "Delete this Route".
Wow! You resolved a query (hopefully you provided a roundabout way). I tried this with M&M helpdesk even the MMI folks. Somehow never got a very convincing reply!
Old 13th March 2013, 19:54   #4159
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Right now I took GC measurements at 3 points only and my findings are as follows :
  1. Below the lowermost edge of the front mud flaps : 155 mm
  2. Below the lowermost edge of the rear mud flaps : 215 mm
  3. Below the lower edge of the front bumper : 390 mm
Debuda, can you please reconfirm the 390mm one? That's almost 1.3ft! Looks like a typo. Please recheck.
Old 13th March 2013, 19:56   #4160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Guys, do you know if Dealers have increased the prices of XUV after the budget changes in taxes ..Is this possible?
I booked my W8 on 3rd March and was asked to pay 41200 extra when I paid down on 9th. The prices came w.e.from 8th of March.

As you mentioned its' all tax + the corresponding increase in insurance premium. There is no way we can circumvent this, because its all depending on the date of sales invoice. Had I been paid the full amount before the evening of 7th of March....
Old 13th March 2013, 20:14   #4161
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Guys, do you know if Dealers have increased the prices of XUV after the budget changes in taxes and now charging the increased price from customer? My friend booked a W6 last month and now he is being told to shell out 30K more due to budget. Is there a way he can get a old pre-budget price if he goes for, let say jan feb manufactured XUV? Is this possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I booked my W8 on 3rd March and was asked to pay 41200 extra when I paid down on 9th. The prices came w.e.from 8th of March.

As you mentioned its' all tax + the corresponding increase in insurance premium. There is no way we can circumvent this, because its all depending on the date of sales invoice. Had I been paid the full amount before the evening of 7th of March....
The post-budget-announcement price increase is because of the increase in excise duty. As per my understanding, excise duty is paid when a vehicle leaves the manufacturer's factory/yard gate.

So conceptually, if you are picking a vehicle which is already in the dealer's stockyard, the excise duty has been paid as per old rates. The dealer may still try to take you for a ride.

For new bookings and orders, I don't believe there is much that can be done.

Last edited by SDP : 13th March 2013 at 20:26.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 21:18   #4162
BHPian

Quote:

Hey Tacho, I think that's the best we can do. All this while all I could figure out was to tap the speaker icon in MMI and mute it, but this is far more elegant. Thanks !!
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 21:24   #4163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
So conceptually, if you are picking a vehicle which is already in the dealer's stockyard, the excise duty has been paid as per old rates. The dealer may still try to take you for a ride.
TVS was willing to bill me till 7th evening in the pre-budget price and they conveyed me this verbally a couple of times between 3rd and 6th. During this period the price section of the XUV website was down. The TVS guys also pointed out this to me, saying that once the prices have been updated there is no way they can give me the pre-budget price.

Unfortunately I failed to arrange the funds as I was also installing a generator in our office. Double whammy for me..
Old 14th March 2013, 12:56   #4164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Debuda, can you please reconfirm the 390mm one? That's almost 1.3ft! Looks like a typo. Please recheck.
The ground clearance of the front bumper, as measured from the bottom of the number plate mounting, is indeed 395 mm or 15.5".

In the front part of the XUV, it is not the bumper which is low. It is the engine sump guard which is made of plastic (and apparently legally non-existent as far as Indian GC specifications are concerned) which has very low GC. This guard is steeply sloping towards the rear and so the GC is minimum at its rearmost point.

I would request any TBHPian who has contacts with ARAI or any other Indian automobile certification agency or any Indian car designer to find out how 'minimum GC' is specified and share the same with us.
Old 14th March 2013, 15:01   #4165
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ minimum GC is the distance between the flat floor (ground) or base of tyre, and the lowest part of the car - any part that is not designed to be contact with the ground. Hence a cover plate may not be counted if it is designed to handle impact with the ground but the part that is covering would definately be considered.

The thing about GC that in different cars the lowest part as defined above lie at different areas and the effective GC from the point of view of a car hitting a speed bump or not would depend on the location of this part as when a car goes over a road imperfection the tyres too go over it and over a speed bump they too rise. Also the extent of suspension travel and speed can affect what hits the base. Going at a slow speed without pressing on the brakes over a speed bump is best. One should release the brake before going over the speed bump or obstacle to release the suspention travel to the highest.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 15:09   #4166
BHPian

Quote:
It is the engine sump guard which is made of plastic (and apparently legally non-existent as far as Indian GC specifications are concerned) which has very low GC. This guard is steeply sloping towards the rear and so the GC is minimum at its rearmost point.
If I had a direct contact with Mahindra's, I would have advised them to change the guard to a metal one, because that would reduce the official ground clearence numbers and new customers wont have to pay the additional SUV tax.
It would also provide additional protection to the engine bay.
rohitbagai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 18:39   #4167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
^^ minimum GC is the distance between the flat floor (ground) or base of tyre, and the lowest part of the car - any part that is not designed to be contact with the ground. Hence a cover plate may not be counted if it is designed to handle impact with the ground but the part that is covering would definately be considered.

The thing about GC that in different cars the lowest part as defined above lie at different areas and the effective GC from the point of view of a car hitting a speed bump or not would depend on the location of this part as when a car goes over a road imperfection the tyres too go over it and over a speed bump they too rise. Also the extent of suspension travel and speed can affect what hits the base. Going at a slow speed without pressing on the brakes over a speed bump is best. One should release the brake before going over the speed bump or obstacle to release the suspention travel to the highest.
Bang on. Thanks. In XUV, speed breakers are not a problem since as you said, Wheels too rise hence XUV clears them comfortably. However, there if there is a stone or something in the middle of the road, then you cant expect XUV to go through it as it will hit that plastic cover for sure. This can be easy done in Scorpio, Endy etc but not XUV.
Old 15th March 2013, 14:26   #4168
BHPian

Quote:

I would request any TBHPian who has contacts with ARAI or any other Indian automobile certification agency or any Indian car designer to find out how 'minimum GC' is specified and share the same with us.
I have written to two gentlemen. Both are PhD's and hold senior positions in the automotive industry. One of them has responded and let me quote him verbatim below:

"Ground clearance is technically measured as the clearance between the suspension system & the ground. Many a time this is not enough as Front & Rear over hang is longer, then on bumps it will still hit the ground. Even some time front & rear bumper is below it but it is not going to affect the clearance."

To be honest, I am not completely clear about all that he is trying to say, but the basic definition of GC seems to be clear.

If I get a response from the other gentleman, who btw is from M&M, I'll let everybody know.
Heavy Horse is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 16:32   #4169
Senior - BHPian

I had posted this in the XUV500 vs Scorpio thread.

Has anybody got similar GC image for XUV500 and Scorpio? We will get some idea as to what is M&M's reference point. Scorpio has 4mm advantage over Innova whereas XUV500 as per specs is supposed to have 24mm advantage over Innova.
Old 15th March 2013, 17:49   #4170

Heard XUV 500 would be coming out with an automatic variant soon , the same 6 speed gearbox seen in the new Mahindra Scorpio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks