Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2013, 21:27   #4246
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Thank You for your reply - I'm gearing up for the worst experience ( I've already gotten in touch with the Area Sales Manager from Mahindra, as a precautionary measure in case TVS tries to pull a fast one) .

Had a doubt while going through your post - Did you get to do a PDI? Also, do they let folks choose the car from the lot? ( As their logic for VIN was that is allotted on first come first basis)
Actually I did not get to do a detailed PDI. TVS said it was against the policy. I had travelled a week before delivery from bangalore to cochin for this but nothing happened. So I got to do the PDI only at the time of delivery which was sort of a quick 15 min check as there were other cars waiting to be delivered.

I was in Bangalore at the time my vehicle had reached TVS, I had to postpone taking delivery for another 2 weeks. At TVS cochin, they mentioned that their yard could only accomodate 30 cars at a time and my car would be kept there only if I paid an advance (which I did and they still did not keep the car in cochin for me to do the PDI). So the logic could be if someone else was ready to take delivery for the same color during this time, they would provide the vehicle to the other buyer. But like I noted in my earlier reply, my VIN matched, so not sure how true their words were.

Pls check out my earlier post on how things turned out during my PDI visit
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2864334

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 00:24   #4247
BHPian

First Service

March 17 we came back from an overnight trip to Madikeri (Coorg District, Karnataka) with the ODO having crossed 4500 kms. A 4 day trip to Mysore was planned from March 28-31, and I was initially thinking of doing the first service, after that trip, since 5000 kms would have been completed by then. However, I had a change of heart. Why not get the first service done and then make the Mysore trip.

I called up Karnataka Agencies (KA) in Mangalore on March 18, and asked for an appointment. They said they were full up for a week and the next appointment could be given only on March 26. I said fine and all was set. On Friday, March 22 I got a call from KA saying that my appointment needed to be postponed by another week since they were out of spares and no retro-fitting could be done. I told them that my vehicle was not part of the recall. To the best of my knowledge, only the first service needed to be done. So my original appointment was maintained.

My case is unusual in the sense that I bought my vehicle in Mumbai (my permanent residence), but I’m in Manipal on a temporary basis. Due to that, I was having some doubts about how they would treat me. However, when I reached the SS at 9AM, I found them very cordial. The SA inspected the vehicle and asked me to pick up the vehicle by 5 PM. I came back at around 2 PM and parked myself in the nicely appointed lounge. The SA told me that the vehicle was getting cleaned and should be ready in about an hour. He told me that everything was fine with the vehicle. The mandatory oil change was done along with the air filter.They had done all the other checks as well. They had also updated the infotainment system and the Help module had been uploaded.

I found KA quite professional and helpful. Though my car did not have any issues / niggles etc, I got the sense that they were quite capable and sincere. All in all a good first experience. Vehicle is absolutely first class, running beautifully. Had a great trip to Mysore as you can see in the pic below…. The Big Cat standing proudly in front of a gloriously lit Mysore Palace on Good Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-086.jpg  

Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 01:16   #4248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
First Service

March 17 we came back from an overnight trip to Madikeri (Coorg District, Karnataka) with the ODO having crossed 4500 kms. A 4 day trip to Mysore was planned from March 28-31, and I was initially thinking of doing the first service, after that trip, since 5000 kms would have been completed by then. However, I had a change of heart. Why not get the first service done and then make the Mysore trip.

I called up Karnataka Agencies (KA) in Mangalore on March 18, and asked for an appointment. They said they were full up for a week and the next appointment could be given only on March 26. I said fine and all was set. On Friday, March 22 I got a call from KA saying that my appointment needed to be postponed by another week since they were out of spares and no retro-fitting could be done. I told them that my vehicle was not part of the recall. To the best of my knowledge, only the first service needed to be done. So my original appointment was maintained.

My case is unusual in the sense that I bought my vehicle in Mumbai (my permanent residence), but I’m in Manipal on a temporary basis. Due to that, I was having some doubts about how they would treat me. However, when I reached the SS at 9AM, I found them very cordial. The SA inspected the vehicle and asked me to pick up the vehicle by 5 PM. I came back at around 2 PM and parked myself in the nicely appointed lounge. The SA told me that the vehicle was getting cleaned and should be ready in about an hour. He told me that everything was fine with the vehicle. The mandatory oil change was done along with the air filter.They had done all the other checks as well. They had also updated the infotainment system and the Help module had been uploaded.

I found KA quite professional and helpful. Though my car did not have any issues / niggles etc, I got the sense that they were quite capable and sincere. All in all a good first experience. Vehicle is absolutely first class, running beautifully. Had a great trip to Mysore as you can see in the pic below…. The Big Cat standing proudly in front of a gloriously lit Mysore Palace on Good Friday.
This is the reason why people go for Mahindra. They have good A.$$. and thats what matters. I have 2 friends who are thinking of getting one. They keep asking me if they are doing the right thing. I keep telling them that they dont need to worry about the car as it will be taken care of if things dont work out.Hats off to Mahindra.
Old 1st April 2013, 12:23   #4249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Have a doubt to ask, does the blower speed of the A/c have a constant speed. I get a feeling it slows down and speeds up frequently without any input (I don't have the a/c in auto mode, purely in manual mode only). I get this same feeling from my split a/c in my home, so its kinda weird.
Anand, I had raised this point almost a year back somewhere here. I have had this problem from day 1, but since I never got a very convincing reply plus I could not replicate the issue during the first service I kind of decided to wait and watch.

Since then I figured out a few things. This problem of varying blower speed happens in ACC mode (understandable) but carries on even when you switch off the ACC. I can't recall immediately if the problem shows up if you switch off the ACC when the car is still running. However if you switch off the engine and then when later you start the car without the ACC (even without AC) the blower speed starts going up. This problem goes away after a few runs (start and stop of the engine) without the ACC.

I have a theory. There is a bug in the software that controls the ACC. Although the ACC switch shows physically the ACC is off somewhere some flag remains set which causes the controller software to believe that the ACC mode is on. Funnilly enough this happens even if the AC is not running and only the blower is on. Thus the blower speed keeps increasing to get the cabin temp back to where it is set to be.

I am still not sure how the system figures out the ACC mode is off after a couple of runs without the ACC but once it does the blower speed stays where you have manually set it to be.

Quote:
Also does the "battery" indicator in the instrument cluster take a few extra seconds to switch off after the vehicle is started in cold-crank condition. I am not sure if this was the case when I bought the car. Can someone please help. Thanks.
Battery indicator stays on for a good while even after the engine has started (around 10 seconds). Thats by design. I panicked a couple of times at the beginning as I thought that the alternator went kaput in my new car.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st April 2013 at 12:26.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 14:39   #4250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Anand, I had raised this point almost a year back somewhere here. I have had this problem from day 1, but since I never got a very convincing reply plus I could not replicate the issue during the first service I kind of decided to wait and watch.

I have a theory. There is a bug in the software that controls the ACC. Although the ACC switch shows physically the ACC is off somewhere some flag remains set which causes the controller software to believe that the ACC mode is on. Funnilly enough this happens even if the AC is not running and only the blower is on. Thus the blower speed keeps increasing to get the cabin temp back to where it is set to be.

Battery indicator stays on for a good while even after the engine has started (around 10 seconds). Thats by design. I panicked a couple of times at the beginning as I thought that the alternator went kaput in my new car.
Ah! yes now I remember you asking about this issue. Thanks for the detailed reply.

But I am not sure we are in the right page regarding the blower problem. I see two things happening in the A/C blower without any user intervention.
  1. Here when we start the vehicle the blower even when it is in manual mode and has been shut-off previously in blower level 3, starts increasing the blower speed above level 3 automatically. Most of the time I have seen this happening when the car is parked in the hot sun. When this occurs, the blower speed indicator in my W6 console also shows the increase in fan speed (increasing notches) happening. During this my ACC is off, the A/c is on, blower is on and the 'Econ' mode is also on. This issues occurs once every 20/25 starts of the vehicle.
  2. Here the blower speed is constant and is 'set' as shown in the console, but the air-speed that is coming out of the blower is not constant, it comes in 'gusts' like say in a beach, where the wind is not a constant force and comes in waves kinda pattern. I can also clearly hear the blower speed raise and fall with corresponding fall/raise in air volume/speed. There is no indication of the blower speed change when this occurs in the console. This problem is not constant and comes intermittently but nowadays with the summer picking up in Chennai I see this often.
I too was scared on the battery indicator staying on for a longer time, relieved that its the norm in the XUV.
Old 1st April 2013, 15:40   #4251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ah! yes now I remember you asking about this issue. Thanks for the detailed reply.

But I am not sure we are in the right page regarding the blower problem...
If you are saying that you never engage the ACC but still see this variation in blower speed then I would not know. In my case I only see this problem once i engage ACC. The next time I start the car, even if the ACC is off (and even the AC at times is off), the blower starts running off. I see the screen also showing this increase in speed.

However, all this happens only once the ACC has been engaged for a while. Once the blower speed stabilizes after a couple of runs of the car this problem vanishes, till the next ACC engagement happens.

So you may have a different problem at hand in case you see this happening although you can vouch for the fact that you (or another person) did not engage the ACC in one of the previous runs.
Old 1st April 2013, 16:02   #4252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are saying that you never engage the ACC but still see this variation in blower speed then I would not know. In my case I only see this problem once i engage ACC. The next time I start the car, even if the ACC is off (and even the AC at times is off), the blower starts running off. I see the screen also showing this increase in speed.

However, all this happens only once the ACC has been engaged for a while. Once the blower speed stabilizes after a couple of runs of the car this problem vanishes, till the next ACC engagement happens.

So you may have a different problem at hand in case you see this happening although you can vouch for the fact that you (or another person) did not engage the ACC in one of the previous runs.
I do not own a XUV but have experience with cars with ACC so adding my 2 pence to the discussion . When an AC is in ACC mode then the functions that are controlled automatically are temperature , blower speed and ventilation. If any one of the above 3 are controlled manually through turning or pressing any of the relevant switches the ACC is switched off. Thus as you may note even with the ACC switched off (where you have manually adjusted the temp or ventilation) you can have an AC with variable blower speed .
Most of the modern ACCs sold in tropical climates like India are programmed to run with a higher blower speed at the start given the external temperatures. The blower speed is determined by the difference between the car's interior temperature and ambient temperature settings ( either pre-programmed where it usually ranges between 22-24 deg or as input by the owner )

Last edited by souravc : 1st April 2013 at 16:06. Reason: grammar
Old 1st April 2013, 16:21   #4253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Thus as you may note even with the ACC switched off (where you have manually adjusted the temp or ventilation) you can have an AC with variable blower speed .
Did not get this part at all. Are you saying that even when the ACC is switched off the blower will keep varying it's speed just like when the ACC is on? Then what is the point of Automatic Climate Control if even in the manual mode the blower runs on its own whim as if it were in ACC? I for one have never seen this happen in any other ACC equipped car.

Again, I am not sure whether you meant to say what I understood.
Old 1st April 2013, 16:49   #4254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did not get this part at all. Are you saying that even when the ACC is switched off the blower will keep varying it's speed just like when the ACC is on? Then what is the point of Automatic Climate Control if even in the manual mode the blower runs on its own whim as if it were in ACC? I for one have never seen this happen in any other ACC equipped car.

Again, I am not sure whether you meant to say what I understood.
As I said when ACC is switched on all three of temp , blower speed and ventilation are controlled automatically . Now assume the scenario that you manually switch on "ventilation" mode from "circulation" mode - in this case ACC is switched off due to your manual intervention but still blower speed would vary according to the ambient temperture which has been set by you .

I have experienced it my Swift and Vento , don't know about XUV though
Old 1st April 2013, 18:20   #4255
BHPian

Oh yes that is correct. The blower speed changes even when the ACC is off due to changing the air circulation mode. That is you have partially switched off the ACC and not fully. In order to fully turn it off you need to also/or change the blower dial. Then the ACC is fully off. Until and unless the blower dial is turned, the system thinks you are in partial ACC mode and changes blower speed.
Old 1st April 2013, 18:52   #4256
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Now assume the scenario that you manually switch on "ventilation" mode from "circulation" mode - in this case ACC is switched off due to your manual intervention but still blower speed would vary according to the ambient temperture which has been set by you .

I have experienced it my Swift and Vento , don't know about XUV though
In XUV the ACC causes the system to automatically switch over to fresh air mode within a few minutes of start but if you again change it to recirculation it does not switch off the ACC at all. ACC remains engaged with the ACC light still on

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaraja View Post
Oh yes that is correct. The blower speed changes even when the ACC is off due to changing the air circulation mode. That is you have partially switched off the ACC and not fully.
I am talking about a different scenario here. You turned off the car and went away. Later when you restart the car, you do not switch on the ACC nor do you switch on the manual AC. The blower still keeps running on its own. In this kind of a situation, all the indicators are telling you that everything is off, the ACC, the AC and yet the blower remains in the ACC mode.

Somehow this is not correct in my opinion. This is a communication failure. If your ACC logic says that it needs to switch over to ACC just because you were in that mode before turning off the car then it should either switch on all the modes (ACC, AC, ECON) on its own to restore the previous state or else it should treat the ACC as off. It is misleading to show the ACC as off and the AC to be actually off and still to keep running the blower in ACC mode. Running of AC should be the minimum criteria for the ACC to be considered on IMO.
Old 1st April 2013, 19:08   #4257
BHPian

Do you switch of vehicle without switching off the AC? If yes, when you slot the key to start engine but not started, the blower will turn on. If you start the engine now, the blower will go off and then on. Now the AC is in partial ACC mode because you did not switch off AC and you did not turn the blower dial before putting off the engine. Essentially the same mode as it was before the engine was shutoff.

Did I understand your scenario? Or at least in the scenario I have given the car will behave this way.
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:50   #4258
A.R
BHPian

Folks, couple of questions

(1) Can the middle row seat be reclined when the last row seats are folded down for luggage space

(2) Are there alternatives for the side foot steps, something flatter? I have elders in my family who will need a flat step to climb in.

(3) Lastly, what's the feasibility for a Speaker + Amp upgrade

Thanks Much.
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:12   #4259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Folks, couple of questions

(1) Can the middle row seat be reclined when the last row seats are folded down for luggage space

(2) Are there alternatives for the side foot steps, something flatter? I have elders in my family who will need a flat step to climb in.

(3) Lastly, what's the feasibility for a Speaker + Amp upgrade

Thanks Much.
Yes.. The middle row can be reclined when the last seat is flat for luggage.

Not sure about your second q. Let others who have put it respond.

I have put an amp and sub and it just sounds terrific.
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:22   #4260
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
You can check out options from Ajanta and ClaSSique. I have seen them on at least one XUV each. They are broader than the one offerred by M&M (if that's what you mean by 'something flatter').
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks