Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 18:40   #4306
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
Hi friends, am a new XUV owner. The first thing I did was to read up the owners manual end to end.
The thread came handy wherever I was stuck, for the rest I sought help from SDP who was ever willing to answer patiently all my silly queries.

Have few queries for which I got contradictory answers from my RM, the person who came home for the demo and fellow colleagues who own the beast.
bnzjon, Please do take these queries in writing with the customer-care email as well. I am hoping that M&M would be slightly more careful while replying to written communication.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 01:47   #4307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends, am a new XUV owner. The first thing I did was to read up the owners manual end to end.
The thread came handy wherever I was stuck, for the rest I sought help from SDP who was ever willing to answer patiently all my silly queries.

Have few queries for which I got contradictory answers from my RM, the person who came home for the demo and fellow colleagues who own the beast.

My queries are
- does the car have driver side Auto-up windows ? Manual says so (sec 8-5)

NR: Yes it does.
- does the car have driver side Anti Pinch windows ? Manual says so (sec 8-6)
NR: Not sure, haven't tried it yet.

- centralised power window lock on driver side - when locked, does it also disable front passenger side window as well (along with rear windows) ? My RM says the front passenger should be able to access his window even when the central power window lock on driver door is enabled (locked).

NR: Yes it does. When you lock it from driver side, front passenger cannot open his window till the time driver unlocks it.
- the manual says that the whereabouts of the vehicle ( search function) can be enabled by pressing the 'unlock' button on remote for 3 secs and the hazard lights blink enabling us to identify the vehicle. While doing so, the doors are unlocked automatically while you are away at a distance from the car ! I find it strange that this leads to security breach.

NR: Never tried it so sorry.

- Section 7-12 of the manual says that the beep/alarm can be enabled by pressing the ' lock' button for more than 3 secs. Am unable to enable this feature. I want the car to beep every time I lock/ unlock my car.

NR: Even though it says so, however even i have not been able to enable this feature even after trying so many times.

- Auto AC : the system automatically enables the fresh air mode within 2 mins after I choose the circulation mode. It happens only once in the entire cycle (between starting and switching off the engine).

NR: Yup it works that way in XUV.

Thanks in advance to fellow bhp'ians for your advise.
(Will soon come up with my booking and ownership reviews).

Note : special thanks to SDP and Sathya_SC for their help in answering my queries and installing confidence in me to own the beast.
Please find my answers below in Bold.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 06:35   #4308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post

Hi Nitin. XUV has auto up windows on the driver side?! Was just wondering if you meant auto down instead of up. Unless it needs some special trick to enable it, I haven't seen this feature in my car. Hope you can help clarify. Thanks man!
Columbus_500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:52   #4309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

bnzjon, Please do take these queries in writing with the customer-care email as well. I am hoping that M&M would be slightly more careful while replying to written communication.
Hi SDP, thanks.
I have written a mail to Customer Care and Sanjoy Gupta on the same. Awaiting revert.
bnzjon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:53   #4310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus_500 View Post
Hi Nitin. XUV has auto up windows on the driver side?! Was just wondering if you meant auto down instead of up. Unless it needs some special trick to enable it, I haven't seen this feature in my car. Hope you can help clarify. Thanks man!
Columbus, see the attachment, it is the image from the manual, section 8-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Quote:
My queries are
- the manual says that the whereabouts of the vehicle ( search function) can be enabled by pressing the 'unlock' button on remote for 3 secs and the hazard lights blink enabling us to identify the vehicle. While doing so, the doors are unlocked automatically while you are away at a distance from the car ! I find it strange that this leads to security breach.
bnzjon, you are referring to section 7-11. In fact, you can keep pressing the "lock" button instead of unlocking and keeping the unlock button pressed for 3 seconds. So, no matter how many times you lock, your car is not compromised and you certainly see the lights flash once in case you are near the car. If you are not near the car, it wont flash and you know you are far away. In a very large area, it is very difficult to keep moving and locking, but that is what you should do if you dont know where you had parked the car.
Attached Images

krishnaraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 18:54   #4311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Just my 2 cents on auto lights and auto wiper.

During my initial days, I always left the light in auto light mode. Switching to the manual headlamp when required during the night. And while stopping the car in auto light mode, never used to switch it off. My car park at both home and office are in the basement and hence it was always good to have the lights in auto light mode. Now when you crank the engine, the lights turn off for a couple of secs and come back on. I thought this was some sort of protection mechanism for the lights until both my low beam bulbs conked off at the same time. And as per my RM, the reason could be cranking the engine in the auto light mode and with the lights ON. Though XUV is meant to have (no one is sure) mechanisms to overcome voltage spikes at the time of cranking, I was advised it was still safe to switch off the lights before cranking. So my understanding of both auto lights and auto wipers "in the XUV" - these are meant to be enabled each time when required. And not to be kept ON always or enabled everytime the car is started. Infact they should have been called semi-automatic.
Pretty strange that the bulbs are conking off due to cranking spike, I don't remember having switched off the auto light feature in my Scorpio ever (except when it was disabled during battery drain & change) and I have never lost a bulb.

The auto wiper however has to be enabled every time you start the car as it gets disabled automatically on switch off
Old 3rd May 2013, 05:09   #4312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus_500 View Post

Exactly.
I have sorely missed the auto up feature on my XUV, and have always assumed it wasn't provided because it didn't work!
Now if the manual enlists it, then it must be present, or in the very least, there must be a provision for it.
Need to check it out with the ASC. If anyone has any updates on this please post them here.
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:47   #4313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaraja View Post
bnzjon, you are referring to section 7-11. In fact, you can keep pressing the "lock" button instead of unlocking and keeping the unlock button pressed for 3 seconds. So, no matter how many times you lock, your car is not compromised and you certainly see the lights flash once in case you are near the car. If you are not near the car, it wont flash and you know you are far away. In a very large area, it is very difficult to keep moving and locking, but that is what you should do if you dont know where you had parked the car.
I had tried this feature sometime during my initial days and it worked. But the range of the remote is very less. You need to be very close to the car, say 10-12feet or less for the remote to work. The remote locks of most of the cars I had used earlier had a pretty decent range of atleast 30-40 feet or more.

So using this feature to locate the car in a parking lot is pretty difficult unless you are very very close to the car. And to locate a giant like the XUV while so close wouldnt require this feature.

FundaG
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:10   #4314
SDP
Team-BHP Support

^^ If you are worried about the remote's range, here's a smart little hack:
http://www.wikihow.com/Boost-Your-Ca...ith-Your-Skull

I believe was shared by one of the Mods on this or the niggles thread earlier.

Tested it, works!
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:29   #4315
BHPian

Quote:
^^ If you are worried about the remote's range, here's a smart little hack:
http://www.wikihow.com/Boost-Your-Ca...ith-Your-Skull

I believe was shared by one of the Mods on this or the niggles thread earlier.

Tested it, works!

That is a really funny hack. I was thinking of how it would look walking around a car park with the remote pointed at your chin and mouth open. Will surely try it out today.
And if someone asks what this is all about, I would say "Am trying to find my 15lac vehicle which has a weak remote and hence using my skull to amplify the signal and locate it. BEEP BEEP."

Dont let M&M know this else they would suggest this technique rather than improving their remote.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 16:03   #4316
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
...And if someone asks what this is all about, I would say "Am trying to find my 15lac vehicle which has a weak remote and hence using my skull to amplify the signal and locate it. BEEP BEEP."

Super sarcasm!

On a more serious note, rather than using the skull to amplify a weak radio signal, I personally prefer to use what's inside of the skull to remember where I parked in the first place!
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 13:51   #4317
BHPian

Had written a mail to M&M on the below queries. Received a call from the TN Sales head informing that one of the senior service guys will call me to explain.

The next day, the Works Manager from India Garage visited my residence and explained the following highighted in bold.

Quote:

My queries are
- does the car have driver side Auto-up windows ? Manual says so (sec 8-5)
the manual is incorrect. XUV does not have Auto-Up feature
- does the car have driver side Anti Pinch windows ? Manual says so (sec 8-6)
the manual is incorrect. XUV does not have Anti-Pinch feature
- centralised power window lock on driver side - when locked, does it also disable front passenger side window as well (along with rear windows) ? My RM says the front passenger should be able to access his window even when the central power window lock on driver door is enabled (locked).
all 3 power windows except the driver side will get locked when central locking is enabled on the driver door trim
M&M feels it is not a security breach as the range of the remote is less than 50 meters, which means you can enable the security hooter only if you are near the car
- Section 7-12 of the manual says that the beep/alarm can be enabled by pressing the ' lock' button for more than 3 secs. Am unable to enable this feature. I want the car to beep every time I lock/ unlock my car.
Manual is incorrect. No such feature in the recent batches. Initial batches had cars with such features.
- Auto AC : the system automatically enables the fresh air mode within 2 mins after I choose the circulation mode. It happens only once in the entire cycle (between starting and switching off the engine).
that's the way auto-ac functions if the temperature is set less than 22.5 deg C.

I have written to M&M to reply this on my email, which i doubt they will do. Let's see

Last edited by bnzjon : 4th May 2013 at 13:52.
Old 4th May 2013, 14:02   #4318
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had written a mail to M&M on the below queries. Received a call from the TN Sales head informing that one of the senior service guys will call me to explain.

The next day, the Works Manager from India Garage visited my residence and explained the following highighted in bold.
No surprises there!

Did they mention why the manual is incorrect at so many places?
Old 4th May 2013, 14:09   #4319
BHPian

Quote:
No surprises there!

Did they mention why the manual is incorrect at so many places?
The guys who came to my residence were from India Garage and they blamed it on M&M.

I have written to M&M on mail on reasons why the manual is incorrect despite the product is 2 years old. I am expecting them to reconfirm it back by mail but am sure they will not respond by mail but some one will call to explain.

They had offered alarm/beep while reversing, which i refused, as i found the alarm to be a nuisance when you park/reverse the car in the quiet neighbourhood/society.

Last edited by bnzjon : 4th May 2013 at 14:14.
Old 4th May 2013, 14:17   #4320
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The guys who came to my residence were from India Garage and they blamed it on M&M.

I have written to M&M on mail on reasons why the manual is incorrect despite the product is 2 years old. I am expecting them to reconfirm it back by mail but am sure they will not respond by mail but some one will call to explain.
You might have noticed that the printed manual differs from the PDF version available online.

For the online version, there are some obvious version issues where possibly features from a future version of the car have mangaged to slip through in the current version of the online PDF manual. Somebody at Mahindra Satyam needs some lessons in configuration management.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks