Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2013, 14:08   #4351
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Is this the DIS figure or obtained via the tankful method ?
Heavy Horse, thanks for pointing this out.. i just realized the typo. I meant 13.8kmpl, and yes this is using the tank full method.
Old 13th May 2013, 14:12   #4352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Heavy Horse, thanks for pointing this out.. i just realized the typo. I meant 13.8kmpl, and yes this is using the tank full method.
Very good mileage at the height of summer in the North. Speaks highly of your vehicle maintenance and driving skills.
Old 13th May 2013, 20:51   #4353
BANNED

Quote:

I have learned from others experience on T-BHP and have shared mine, time and again. You just need to question each item and accordingly take a call. IMHO What is good here of M&M is that you scare them with a stick of writing to M&M they respond. With other brands generally the ASS will just smile and give you the take it or leave it attitude.
Thanks for sharing your frank opinion, friend ! Well, that's not what was expected of M&M ! I thought the folks only bashed TATA on this aspect.

Regarding the bulb fusing issue, I have NEVER lost a bulb till date. Period. From my KB-100, 118 NE, Indica DLE, Indigo eCS and now the ARIA. Maybe because I ALWAYS switch off lights, AC+ blower, then radio / ICE, etc prior to engine cut off. Again, I check for such items being ON before cranking as well. This ensures unneccesary electrical loads are NOT present when you are loading the circuit - with the starter. Transients and spikes are known to bust even normal filament bulbs at home , no ?

I sincerely believe one should leave alone the bells and jingles in the desi brands. The experiences of XUV owners here tell a tale that was predictable ! What purpose do the daytime running lights serve anyway ? I find them outright silly, even in the Audi's - like a child's toy, built to grab attention. Pl fit the bulbs yourself, without touching the glass - I bet the technicians touch them with greasy hands, leaving finger prints all over. I fitted the GE NHP bulbs on my high beams myself, holding the stems with soft tissue paper.
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 12:43   #4354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
I sincerely believe one should leave alone the bells and jingles in the desi brands. The experiences of XUV owners here tell a tale that was predictable ! What purpose do the daytime running lights serve anyway ? I find them outright silly, even in the Audi's - like a child's toy, built to grab attention.
built to grab attention Believe that exactly is the purpose of the DRL. Consider you are cruising on the highway and suddenly a glimmer on the rear view mirrors grabs your attention. It turns out to be a DRL of a car far behind you but most probably gaining on you. Gives you ample time to go for a race or let it pass.
VS
An unnoticed car suddenly appears behind you trying to overtake, while you were enjoying a relaxed fast drive.

Also there are times of the day when one fails to notice an approaching car due to bright sunlight or the color of the car merging with the background. If there are DRLs, it would surely grab your attention in such situations. I always felt DRL's are pretty useful to grab attention on the highways when people might be driving for long distances and go slightly unfocussed. Within city limits to an extent the DRL's are mainly a show-off piece.

WRT XUV, the DRL's are not really DRL's. Those LED lights are just meant to function as parking lights. Driving on the highways during daytime with these lights ON wont make much of an impact like the DRL's in the high end cars or even the ones coming in the latest i20.

Wishing M&M comes up with new bright LED strips and gives a free replacement.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 07:01   #4355
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp74 View Post
As per mahindra xuv 5oo manual kerb weight of W8 is 75 kg more then W6. I think due to which fuel average of w6 is more then 1.5-2.0 KM then w8.
I wonder, what could be the reason for ther weight difference?
Althogh W8 has more 'features' so to say, these features are electronic gizmos and should not account for too much of weight gain if at all.

6 airbags in W8 as compared to 2 in W6. How much does a airbag weigh?

W8 has alloys as compared to steel rims of the W6. But shouldn't alloys be lighter?

So suprised to see W8 heavier than W6. Can experts shade some light?

Last edited by SDP : 15th May 2013 at 07:02.
Old 15th May 2013, 07:46   #4356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I wonder, what could be the reason for ther weight difference?

So suprised to see W8 heavier than W6. Can experts shade some light?
Could they be talking about the AWD version of W8..? The BW transfer case and its corresponding systems should weigh around that much.

Can't see any other logic behind the mysterious weight gain.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 11:03   #4357
BHPian

After seeing a post above on the Bridgestone tyre cost being Rs.14000. I checked out changemytyre.com and saw that the cost was indeed that much.

I remember seeing that the Bridgestone cost being some Rs.9000 approx, but wanted to be sure and so mailed Bridgestone directly. Please see below my mail and their reply.

Also checked out how much the other tyre given for XUV, JK Tyres Elanzo cost, they are Rs.10192/tyre (changemytyre.com). That mean that is a cool Rs.21000 difference (14402 (BS) - 10192 (JK) * 5) in vehicle cost due to the tyres.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir,

We thank you for your interest towards Bridgestone tyres, the prices of the below mentioned size remains around Rs.14,000/- – Rs.15,000/- since 2011.

For further queries kindly contact the undersigned or provide your contact details.

Regards,
DSM,
Chennai.

Sent: 14 May 2013 PM 08:39
To: chennai@bridgestone.co.in
Subject: Tyres for my XUV500

Hi,

I have a XUV500 for which I was looking at the tire prices. I have seen that previously the stock tyre Bridgestone Dueller 684 235/65R 17
were available for Rs.9000 approx. Now I see that the prices have shot up to Rs.14000 approx.

Any particular reason why this is so? Can I expect the prices to come down in the near future?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 11:26   #4358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sir,

We thank you for your interest towards Bridgestone tyres, the prices of the below mentioned size remains around Rs.14,000/- – Rs.15,000/- since 2011.

For further queries kindly contact the undersigned or provide your contact details.

Regards,
DSM,
Chennai.
The company will always quote a higher price. I recently checked in Udupi and the dealer quoted me Rs 12.6 K per tyre for Bridgestone. The larger point is that from the dealer you will get a lower price because they are more likely to part from their margin, whereas the company will encourage dealers to sell and not undercut them.
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 13:47   #4359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
The company will always quote a higher price. I recently checked in Udupi and the dealer quoted me Rs 12.6 K per tyre for Bridgestone. The larger point is that from the dealer you will get a lower price because they are more likely to part from their margin, whereas the company will encourage dealers to sell and not undercut them.
What you say is true, must check with a local dealer here in Chennai to know the street price.

But I thought changemytyre.com prices would closely mirror the street prices. If there is such huge variance in price the brick & mortar shops will win hands down. Also a member had quoted that he had to buy one for 14000 when his tyre went kaput.
Old 15th May 2013, 14:06   #4360
BHPian

You are right. One member had indicated a price of Rs14K,which I had at the back of my mind. While I was recently parked outside a shop where my wife had gone shopping, I noticed a tyre dealer. I actually asked him for Apollo Hawkz which are on my XUV and he said he had Bridgestone. So I said tell me the price for that and he quoted me Rs 12.6K.

Regarding online portals, a lot depends on how active that website is. For instance I get superb prices on Flipkart but on similar portals which don't have a large volume of business, I get prices that are hard to understand. Glad you informed me of this portal changemytyre.com, I did not know about it. But for tyres, I would prefer a dealer, because the tyre has to be fitted and maintained and last 50K kms, and in case of any issues like a member from Mysore had recently, I want to be able to hold someone responsible and if required, twist his arm or better still
Old 15th May 2013, 14:11   #4361
BHPian

Got to know about changemytyre.com from here in Team-BHP only. Here is the related thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...yre-store.html
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 21:06   #4362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Got to know about changemytyre.com from here in Team-BHP only. Here is the related thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...yre-store.html
Thanks Anand. I followed that link and found it was GTO who started that thread. Interestingly, he too wonders why that website charges more than dealers, considering that the whole idea of e-commerce websites is to drive down costs by eliminating intermediaries!
Old 18th May 2013, 11:01   #4363
BHPian

Dear All,
Please let me know if it would be possible to retro-fit the infotainment system from W8 into a W6. I am about to buy a used W6 but I badly need the color display as well as reverse camera. Also, has anybody got reverse camera fitted into their W6?

Dear Mods,
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I am currently on page 183 of the discussion and have a lot more pages to go, while I need an answer on this within today. I tried searching as well but there are too many results as the key words are too generic.
Old 18th May 2013, 15:56   #4364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
14k, that just scared me. Mine has already done 35k, and the tyres still look fine. I will be more than careful with these now.

I have got my brake pedals changed to the modded ones, and I can straight away feel the difference. Although I notice whereas it has now the initial bite right from the start, the feel for the brakes after the initial bite has become a little detached, and at least just after the replacement I am finding the middle section of braking not giving me any feedback.

I was also complaining to the SA about the low beam bulbs, and he asked me when did I got mine changed last. When I told him a month ago, he told me that would mean that I am on the new modded bulbs/system now and it should be fine now. Can anyone else confirm if there has been a new modded variety of bulbs/systems out?

In btw, I am now getting an exceptional mileage 17.8kmpl with AC 100% and fair amount of idling in peak traffic.

I assume the brake discs were not changed when the modified brake pads were fixed ? In this case, the lack of bite in certain parts of the brake pedal are understandable as the pads will take some running in to match the disc after which they'll become brilliant.
Old 18th May 2013, 21:11   #4365
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post
Dear All,
Please let me know if it would be possible to retro-fit the infotainment system from W8 into a W6. I am about to buy a used W6 but I badly need the color display as well as reverse camera.
This has been discussed before, in fact, very recently. But there are no reported incidents of somebody actually having done it. Besides the color-screen, the buttons below the screen are also quite different in W6 as compared to W8. So its going to be a complex job..if at all possible. A quick call to a Mahindra service center might help.

Quote:
Also, has anybody got reverse camera fitted into their W6?
Quite a few people have done this. Extremely straight-forward. There are no issues.

Most Viewed