Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 16:28   #4336
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
When you switch the engine on and put her into reverse, there is a delay - more than 10 seconds - before the reverse sensor kicks in. This is because of the Mahindra bootup screen et al.

If you daisy-chain the reverse camera into this setup, well, chances are you will get the first picture only a good 15 seconds after you switch the engine on. This can be avoided if you would go for an independent camera circuit setup.

The above-said scenario is not applicable when the engine is already running.

Disclaimer: My car has no camera.
I have a camera in my XUV. Adding a camera does not have any effect on the boot-up time. The infortainment system takes about 7-8 seconds to boot up. Yes, it is an irritant initially. After I read about idling the diesel engines to save the turbos from premature failing, I anyways wait for 30 seconds from engine-start till the vehicle starts to move. So now, the delay does not bother me.

Last edited by SDP : 7th May 2013 at 16:32.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 16:31   #4337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
When you switch the engine on and put her into reverse, there is a delay - more than 10 seconds - before the reverse sensor kicks in. This is because of the Mahindra bootup screen et al.

If you daisy-chain the reverse camera into this setup, well, chances are you will get the first picture only a good 15 seconds after you switch the engine on. This can be avoided if you would go for an independent camera circuit setup.
I faced a similar predicament, but guess what our forum had to offer - The Idling Rule. Switch on the ignition, wait for 30 seconds or so, then engage whatever gear you like. You essentially keep up the engine health and are not blinded in reverse. You let the lazy Nippon a.k.a visteon software to wake from it's slumber, in it's own sweat time.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 19:55   #4338
BHPian

Tire problem in My XUV 500

This is regarding the Tire totally worn-out in my XUV 500. I had bought this to the notice of the service advisor in Mysore, Karnataka in 3rs service Itself but apart from wheel alignment nothing else was looked upon now at 21000Kms I can see the steel treads clearly.

Note: All the service is done on time and at the same below mentioned workshop.

Please advice.

Serviced at: India Garage workshop, Mysore, Karnataka.
Tyre Brand: Ceat.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-photo-1.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-photo-2.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-photo-3.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-photo-4.jpg

Last edited by krishnathanthri : 7th May 2013 at 19:57.
krishnathanthri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 08:05   #4339
BHPian

Got my membership card to Purple Club with the below discount vouchers

- 2N/3D one time holiday from Club Mahindra
- Free foot reflexology at O2 worth Rs. 250
- 20% discount voucher from Dominos
- Rs. 1000 discount voucher at Raymonds
- 10% or Rs. 1500 discount whichever is lower for 'Croma' branded products.
Old 8th May 2013, 08:22   #4340
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tire problem in My XUV 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
This is regarding the Tire totally worn-out in my XUV 500. I had bought this to the notice of the service advisor in Mysore, Karnataka in 3rs service Itself but apart from wheel alignment nothing else was looked upon now at 21000Kms I can see the steel treads clearly.

Please advice.

The tyres seem to be from JK and not Ceat.

The wear is really bad. May be you didn't notice it earlier as it was on the inner edge of the tyre before rotation?

Anyways, looks like a problem with alignment. There are people who are running on original tyres even at 50K on the ODO. So do talk to the service center and ask for a replacement. Since the car has already run a good amount, I doubt you will get a free replacement. But even a partial compensation for the new tyre would be good.
Old 8th May 2013, 08:39   #4341
BHPian

Quote:

Please advice.

Thanks @krishnathanthri. I had been forewarned about the JK tyres and I had to take that warning with a pinch of salt as tyres are built to last atleast 50k km and not break apart after 20k. And so the grease monkeys are right then. Thanks for the pics.

This means Mahindra is also aware of this.

Mahindra, if you knew JK tyres would last only 20K km why have them in the first place. The bridgestone dullers make hella noise, but atleast they don't wear down like the rubber/eraser I used in school.

@krishnathanthri, please take this up with Mahindra and ask for free replacement of the tyres. Not the JK rubber again, but bridgestone or anything better that they have up their, well, sleeves.
Old 8th May 2013, 08:52   #4342
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Mudhalaipatti, only one tyre is worn at a specific position of the width. I doubt this has got to do with the manufacturing quality of the tyre.
Old 8th May 2013, 09:10   #4343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Mudhalaipatti, only one tyre is worn at a specific position of the width. I doubt this has got to do with the manufacturing quality of the tyre.
Ha. I thought it was all of them.
@krishnathanthri , could you please confirm.
Old 8th May 2013, 13:56   #4344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Mahindra, if you knew JK tyres would last only 20K km why have them in the first place.
I know another XUV W8 with OEM JKs and the vehicle had clocked more than 8000 kilometers in March. I did check the vehicle with a keen interest since I was preparing to take delivery of my car then. There was absolutely no alarming rate of tire wear. I am very sure about this.
Old 8th May 2013, 18:27   #4345
BHPian

Seems more related to vehicular alignment rather than with the tyre itself. I've clocked more than 24000 KM on my 7 month old W8 and the tyre treads are perfectly fine.

In more tyre related news, I just had to change my Rear left tyre due to a bad puncture (more of a slash on the wheel) due to some debris on the highway. The cost for ONE tyre (Bridgestones)came up to INR 14,000 odd!!!

I thought tyres were supposed to be cheaper!!

Last edited by reevester : 8th May 2013 at 18:29.
reevester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 18:34   #4346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please advice.

I think you should take your car to an independent alignment guy who knows his stuff and ask them to check the 'camber' as this looks like a bent strut kind of wheel wear to me.

This conditions applies based on the logic that the Mahindra guys adjusted your toe's correctly during each alignment.
Old 8th May 2013, 19:41   #4347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @krishnathanthri. I had been forewarned about the JK tyres and I had to take that warning with a pinch of salt as tyres are built to last atleast 50k km and not break apart after 20k. And so the grease monkeys are right then. Thanks for the pics.

This means Mahindra is also aware of this.

Mahindra, if you knew JK tyres would last only 20K km why have them in the first place. The bridgestone dullers make hella noise, but atleast they don't wear down like the rubber/eraser I used in school.

@krishnathanthri, please take this up with Mahindra and ask for free replacement of the tyres. Not the JK rubber again, but bridgestone or anything better that they have up their, well, sleeves.
I agree with what SDP says below. The problem is not with JK's but the alignment. I have JK and i have completed almost 30k on them with no issues like these. Infact i had Fiesta with JK and they completed 60K before i went with a replacement. If you look closely, the tread on the extreme right has worn out which shows the issue is with wheel alignment, which is a feature in XUV to say the least

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2013, 12:09   #4348
BHPian

Quote:

Ha. I thought it was all of them.
@krishnathanthri , could you please confirm.
All tires including the spare is worn out as they had changed the wheels during 3rd service.

Just left the vehicle for complete inspection of suspension, bushes Etc.

Expecting some amount after calculation of depreciation as refund.

Lets see

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post

I agree with what SDP says below. The problem is not with JK's but the alignment. I have JK and i have completed almost 30k on them with no issues like these. Infact i had Fiesta with JK and they completed 60K before i went with a replacement. If you look closely, the tread on the extreme right has worn out which shows the issue is with wheel alignment, which is a feature in XUV to say the least
Yes the problem is not with Jk. It's with the vehicle.

Jk has rejected the request for replacement for some reason. AS TOLD BY THE SA.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th May 2013 at 13:14. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 13th May 2013, 12:48   #4349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post

In more tyre related news, I just had to change my Rear left tyre due to a bad puncture (more of a slash on the wheel) due to some debris on the highway. The cost for ONE tyre (Bridgestones)came up to INR 14,000 odd!!!

I thought tyres were supposed to be cheaper!!

14k, that just scared me. Mine has already done 35k, and the tyres still look fine. I will be more than careful with these now.

I have got my brake pedals changed to the modded ones, and I can straight away feel the difference. Although I notice whereas it has now the initial bite right from the start, the feel for the brakes after the initial bite has become a little detached, and at least just after the replacement I am finding the middle section of braking not giving me any feedback.

I was also complaining to the SA about the low beam bulbs, and he asked me when did I got mine changed last. When I told him a month ago, he told me that would mean that I am on the new modded bulbs/system now and it should be fine now. Can anyone else confirm if there has been a new modded variety of bulbs/systems out?

In btw, I am now getting an exceptional mileage 17.8kmpl with AC 100% and fair amount of idling in peak traffic.
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 14:05   #4350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
In btw, I am now getting an exceptional mileage 17.8kmpl with AC 100% and fair amount of idling in peak traffic.
Is this the DIS figure or obtained via the tankful method ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks