Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 17:23   #4471
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
EDIT: Sorry, this post came out with an edge sharper than I intended.
Completely understand. Now is there a formal channel through which we can route all major improvement points to M&M ? If not already available, why not compile a list of 'Ill-be-dead-if-not-rectified' issues, must have and nice to have features ?
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 17:35   #4472
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Completely understand. Now is there a formal channel through which we can route all major improvement points to M&M ? If not already available, why not compile a list of 'Ill-be-dead-if-not-rectified' issues, must have and nice to have features ?
Good point! No point ranting about it only on team-BHP.
I was planning to do a longish "A year with the XUV" post towards the end of June. I would put it in the "'Ill-be-dead-if-not-rectified' issues, must have and nice to have features" format and then shoot out a copy to Customer-Care.

Thanks for channelising the thoughts and emotions in the right direction.

Last edited by SDP : 11th June 2013 at 17:38.
Old 12th June 2013, 00:24   #4473

Making a choice is tough. What's making it more tougher is trying to convince mind that heart is right. XUV or the Duster. I have been reading for sometime and mind is prevailing over heart. Experts please speak your mind. Thanks in advance.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:57   #4474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityarath View Post
Making a choice is tough. What's making it more tougher is trying to convince mind that heart is right. XUV or the Duster. I have been reading for sometime and mind is prevailing over heart. Experts please speak your mind. Thanks in advance.
I'm no expert, but was in the same shoes as you were a month back. I listened to my heart and went ahead with the XUV. And I'm just loving it!

I haven't faced any major niggle so far (except 2 warning lights glowing) - the brakes are great, getting an average mileage of around 12 (bangalore traffic), no rattling noises.

I guess Mahindra as a manufacturer, though late, have started making changes to the production line.
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 16:08   #4475
BHPian

I am hearing a strange noise in the last 4 days. While driving, I hear a mild thud noise from the front passenger side, but not inside the car, it seems to be from outside. This noise is something like, say the side foot step, if the screws of one of the holders it not secured, the resultant metal hitting metal sound. I do have the side foot step, have inspected the screws and all of them look secured.

I hear this even if there is mild unnoticeable abression in the road and the car goes over that. Of course, even if goes over potholes to big ones, that comes up and what is surprising is that the intensity of the noise is not high - it is the same all through, no change in the volume level of that. I am in fact unable to narrow down to one or two things that I would suspect for me to say where could it be. For now, it is just the thud noise I hear towards the front passenger side, outside the car.

Has anyone faced similar thing? That noise, though mild, it is audible at all speeds (have not or could not cross 60, as my drive is inside city for last 4 days with no highway)

On a different note, the Air in all 4 wheels, I used to fill 31 or even 33 at times. All along, I used to feel the ride bumpy. Someone in XUV had done a detailed studay on the PSI in the wheels vs the bumpy ride and felt no matter what you do, it looks bumpy. However, for me suddenly after the first service, I felt the ride was sort of planted (much better than what it used to be before service) and I also felt I am seeing more road than earlier. This is when I realized the driver seat is raised to the max. I brought it down to my usual level. Oh no! I started to feel the ride bumpy. I stopped, came out and raised the seat level, started to drive, now it appeared planted! I also noticed that the A$$ folks had lowered the PSI to 30 in all 4 (through bluesence app).

Is driver seat hight one of the factors to get a planted drive? Or is it that the height adjust absorbs the bumpiness for the driver alone and the passengers will feel the bumpiness?

On FE, I dont want to blame the A$$ folks without proof, but when I gave the car for service, I had driven for 250 kms after tank full and the DIS showed the FE @10 for these 250kms. Also, the fuel indicator bar had two lights gone. The A$$ folks did not reset any trips though I had not mentioned, that is good. However, during the last 50kms that I have been driving after service, I see the FE stay put at 9 and now 5 lights in the fuel indicator have gone just for the 50kms I have driven. I have driven 4 hours during these 50km and the AC had been running with Auto + Econ @24 as temperature setting. I have not see 5 lights go off for 300 kms during my 5000kms run. I have noticed that for my driving, the first light goes off about 119 kms and each additional light goes off every 80kms. 5 lights gone for 300 kms, the math does not work out well. Do you guys feel any foul play would have been done? Though I feel this is remote in these days as all the A$$ are well equipped and they know they are questioned if such things happen. Did it happen in my case and am I ignoring it?
Old 12th June 2013, 16:33   #4476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaraja View Post
Is driver seat hight one of the factors to get a planted drive? Or is it that the height adjust absorbs the bumpiness for the driver alone and the passengers will feel the bumpiness?
I doubt if the seat adjustment will have an effect on the ride quality. Perhaps it's a matter of perception, owing to a better visibility of the road. I had done some analysis on the tyre pressure, loading and it's impact on ride quality. The final outcome is that if it's one or under 4 passengers, the ride quality is not a little no matter what pressure it is, except ofcourse if you decrease it below 28, compromising on FE. On a fully loaded vehicle (7 adults), I had increased the pressure to 38 and 36 and the ride was quite planted. Same with 36 and 34. Likewise with 34 and 32. Final verdict, the ride quality doesn't deteriorate with increase in tyre pressure on a fully loaded vehicle.

Quote:
On FE, I dont want to blame the A$$ folks without proof.......
On FE, I'm doing a detailed study with tyre pressure, loading, driving style etc and in these 4 months, the data is unambiguous. FE varies significantly based on driving style and not so much on other parameters like tyre pressure, loading or AC. If I drive below 100kmph on highways on cruise control, irrespective of loading, I get above 16kmpl. In city conditions, it's around 13 kmph. If I drive at 150kmph and rashly with just me, the FE is under 10kmph.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 17:04   #4477
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am hearing a strange noise in the last 4 days. While driving, I hear a mild thud noise from the front passenger side, but not inside the car, it seems to be from outside. This noise is something like, say the side foot step, if the screws of one of the holders it not secured, the resultant metal hitting metal sound. I do have the side foot step, have inspected the screws and all of them look secured.

Most likely the noise is from the balancer-bar. Please get the front-balancer-bar-bushes changed to the new design bushes. This is a fairly common problem.

Quote:
On a different note, the Air in all 4 wheels, I used to fill 31 or even 33 at times. All along, I used to feel the ride bumpy. ....
Interesting theory! Let me experiment.

Quote:
On FE, I dont want to blame the A$$ folks without proof, but when I gave the car for service, I had driven for 250 kms after tank full and the DIS showed the FE @10 for these 250kms. Also, the fuel indicator bar had two lights gone. The A$$ folks did not reset any trips though I had not mentioned, that is good. However, during the last 50kms that I have been driving after service, I see the FE stay put at 9 and now 5 lights in the fuel indicator have gone just for the 50kms I have driven. ....
At the service-center lot of start-drive for 5-10 meters -stop happens when vehicle moves from one bay to another. Then there are trial runs. Some mechanics have the habit of leaving the engine running with AC and music on full blast when they are working on the car. All that wastes fuel. Unless you are leaving the vehicle overnight at A.S.S., fuel-theft is a remote possibility.

Also, please note that the LED lights scale for fuel is not linear. The first 2 LEDs go off after a lot of distance and then the remaining ones go off in noticeably shorter distance.

Last edited by SDP : 12th June 2013 at 17:12.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 19:40   #4478
BHPian

Quote:
....On FE, I'm doing a detailed study with tyre pressure, loading, driving style etc and in these 4 months, the data is unambiguous. FE varies significantly based on driving style and not so much on other parameters like tyre pressure, loading or AC. If I drive below 100kmph on highways on cruise control, irrespective of loading, I get above 16kmpl. In city conditions, it's around 13 kmph. If I drive at 150kmph and rashly with just me, the FE is under 10kmph.
While I would wait and love to hear about your analysis, no matter what I do, how I drive, either rash or smooth, I get only 10.5 in city. On highways, I do 120 for over 90% of the time, the FE was 10.5 and while on just one time I did 100 and less, I got 11.7 a litre.

All these are tank-full measurements and not relying on DIS

For a good FE, there are various parameters, certain parameters are in the hands (and legs) of the driver and let me give those in my hands so that if I am doing a not-correct way, I will stand corrected. My only concern in this exercise is, I want to get a good FE at least once, which I have not gotten in the last 5200 kms. I will be satisfied even if I get 12+ in city if not 13 unlike you

Inside city, most of my drive during weekday is from home to work and return, each taking up 50 minutes for 14kms each way. I am not able to go beyond 4th gear all through and predominantly between 1-2-3 only. Very rarely 4th.

All my gear shifts happen few notches before 1500 rpm. When I overtake, that too rare due to traffic, single road for both direction traffic, bumper-to-bumper constraints it is once in a while, about 2000rpm. I switch to 5th gear if I happen to cross 55kmph and am certain will be there for at least 15 seconds. Otherwise, I dont shift.
Quote:
Most likely the noise is from the balancer-bar. Please get the front-balancer-bar-bushes changed to the new design bushes. This is a fairly common problem.
Front-balancer-bar bushes, ok, I will tell this to my RM and probably will take the car this Saturday.
Quote:
Also, please note that the LED lights scale for fuel is not linear. The first 2 LEDs go off after a lot of distance and then the remaining ones go off in noticeably shorter distance.
Ok, I have a consistently seen that the first light goes off at about 118-120 and thereafter, every other bar at 80kms interval. Anyway, I eagarly wait for Mudhalaipatti's report on FE.
krishnaraja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 20:51   #4479
BHPian

Quote:

For a good FE, there are various parameters, certain parameters are in the hands (and legs) of the driver and let me give those in my hands so that if I am doing a not-correct way, I will stand corrected. My only concern in this exercise is, I want to get a good FE at least once, which I have not gotten in the last 5200 kms. I will be satisfied even if I get 12+ in city if not 13 unlike you.

All my gear shifts happen few notches before 1500 rpm. When I overtake, that too rare due to traffic, single road for both direction traffic, bumper-to-bumper constraints it is once in a while, about 2000rpm. I switch to 5th gear if I happen to cross 55kmph and am certain will be there for at least 15 seconds. Otherwise, I dont shift.
I generally don't change the gears before 2200 rpm or sorts, definitely not below 2000 rpm. This since i believe the xuv turbo spools only after 1800, if you are changing before 1500 does it not mean that you don't let the turbo do any work and that your engine are maybe working on a 'rich mixture' of fuel. Just my thought. In highways my gear changes are generally are at 3000 rpm or more for gears after 1st.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 12th June 2013 at 21:00.
anandtheleo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 21:03   #4480
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
I generally don't change the gears before 2200 rpm or sorts, definitely not below 2000 rpm. This since i believe the xuv turbo spools only after 1800, if you are changing before 1500 does it not mean that you don't let the turbo do any work and that your engine are maybe working on a 'rich mixture' of fuel. Just my thought. In highways my gear changes are generally are at 3000 rpm or more for gears after 1st.
Anand, that sounds like a good advice.
What kind of FE numbers are you getting in city and on highway?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 08:23   #4481
BHPian

Quote:

You asked the question I wanted to. Will wait to hear from Anand and change the pattern.

If the turbo does not kick in, won't you very good milage?
Old 13th June 2013, 09:45   #4482
BHPian

Quote:

You asked the question I wanted to. Will wait to hear from Anand and change the pattern.

If the turbo does not kick in, won't you very good milage?
I get mileage of 10-11 in city, but my city commute to office is very less, only about 10 kms in heavy traffic where rarely i touch 4th gear. My highway mileage is 14 if i drive with family and if its with friends it drops to 12 with some heavy foot on the gas, lets just say the XUV 'chimes' through all the way with friends.

The turbo not kicking in is not good for the mileage as well for the engine AFAIK.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 13th June 2013 at 09:47.
anandtheleo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 10:02   #4483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Quote:
I am not sure that this advice really works. In my case I rarely rev up beyond 2000 rpm. The highway mileage I have been getting after doing more than 8000 kms, ranges between 13.8-14.5. very comparable to what Anand gets. My data btw is all based on TF2TF, not DIS. So I'm wondering if all that gymnastics is necessary?
Heavy Horse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 10:40   #4484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
I am not sure that this advice really works. In my case I rarely rev up beyond 2000 rpm. The highway mileage I have been getting after doing more than 8000 kms, ranges between 13.8-14.5. very comparable to what Anand gets. My data btw is all based on TF2TF, not DIS. So I'm wondering if all that gymnastics is necessary?
Here comes the XUV DNA. Every vehicle is unique and has it's own characteristics, custom made for each customer, except ofcourse the customer is not aware.

On a serious note, all the engines are made the same way isn't it ? How does the FE vary so much. Is it something to do with the run-in period run. I seldom took it beyond 90kmph during the trial-in, no hard acceleration, no hard deceleration et all.

@HeavyHorse, what was your driving style during the run-in period. The FE that you are getting is quite healthy.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 12:44   #4485
BHPian

Quote:
On a serious note, all the engines are made the same way isn't it ? How does the FE vary so much. Is it something to do with the run-in period run. I seldom took it beyond 90kmph during the trial-in, no hard acceleration, no hard deceleration et all.

@HeavyHorse, what was your driving style during the run-in period. The FE that you are getting is quite healthy.
Yes Mudhalaipatti, I am happy with my FE so far. To answer your question, my driving style whether run-in or otherwise involves, no hard acceleration, no hard braking except in an emergency. In the city my style is usually sedate. I don’t get any adrenaline rush by overtaking other motorists. I have all the time in the world so I leave early and drive “aaram se” to reach my destination well in time.

On the highways, I usually drive between 80-100 kmph. These are single lane highways which I encounter in coastal Karnataka and it’s hard to go beyond that speed for long stretches. On the Pune expressway and beyond till Belgaum, and also Mumbai – Nashik which has become 4 lane now, my speed is usually between 100-120 kmph and I am able to engage cruise control as well. Beyond 120 kmph, I start to feel uncomfortable and, believe me , I’ve never heard the “ting” beyond 150.

I ease into my gears gently as the appropriate speed range is reached, and unlike some I don’t rev up the engine prior to a gear change. In the XUV there’s a lot of speed overlap especially 4,5 and 6, so while upshifting on highways, I tend to skip 5 and go straight to 6. While down-shifting, I usually go from 6 to 3, since 6 to neutral is very easy and has a nice springy feel to it, and then straight up is 3. I also use 5 while downshifting from 6 about 10-15% of the time.

The real “core” of my driving philosophy is to “drive by ear” which means I’m basically always tuned in to the engine sound . At all times, the engine should sound “sweet”, in other words it should sound as if the engine too was enjoying the drive. That’s what really gives me a kick !

On FE I believe that tyre pressure and AC are two important factors that give it a boost. I stick to the recommended pressures and don’t experiment. I check them fairly often, but I find once a month with the XUV fine. The Apollo HAWKZ have been really good so far, barely a 2 psi difference after logging 400-500 kms. Before any long drive I check them and again before the return journey, and off course every time I fill up diesel.

With the AC, it’s always set to 24C, Econ mode and blower usually between 1-3, manual control, depending on the comfort level inside. This works very well since it’s usually me and my wife, so we need not bother about the back rows. Some people have been complaining about the effectiveness of AC in the second row.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed