Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 15:01   #3721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo

Are you sure on this? Because, the RM categorically said that it is standard across all XUVs. I since then have checked one more in office and sure enough that also has no glass on it.
Your statement has put a doubt in my mind. So will wait for some owners to confirm it.
Old 12th November 2012, 15:10   #3722
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I discovered something yesterday after 7 months of ownership with 8000+ on the clock! And I was shocked initially. Have you guys ever realized that in the speedo console the right binnacle that houses the Temp Gauge, Tyretronics and such other indicators has no glass covering? I was zapped yesterday when I was cleaning the pod with a soft cloth and ended up touching the background on which the dispay lights up. I thought its some kind of a stupid oversight that left that part without the protective glass in my car.

However, as told to me by my RM, looks like thats by design and none of the XUVs have a glass on that binnacle. How strange! In fact, the area between the two pods that has those tell tale diwali lights of all sorts also has no covering and you can again touch the back surface. I thought of putting it in here as I realized that quite a few owners are not aware of this fact.
Accurate observation Zappo and what your RM is saying is also correct. This is by design. The 2 chrome lined circles and the Diwali-display have no glass on top. Never understood Mahindra's logic though. Cost-cutting could not be the reason, those pieces of plastic/glass would not cost more than 10Rs. for all 3.

Edit: Read your post again. Are you saying that the left chrome-lined inner circle (the ODO one) has a glass-top? And only the right does not?

Last edited by SDP : 12th November 2012 at 15:14.
Old 12th November 2012, 15:26   #3723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Edit: Read your post again. Are you saying that the left chrome-lined inner circle (the ODO one) has a glass-top? And only the right does not?
I think so! Are you saying that the left one also has the glass missing on it? When i touched it I felt it had glass on it. In fact had it been symmetrical in missing glasses I would not have been taken aback so much. Because I felt it was only one binnacle that had the glass missing that I got worried. I will check once again though for the ODO binnacle.
Old 12th November 2012, 16:26   #3724
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think so! Are you saying that the left one also has the glass missing on it? When i touched it I felt it had glass on it. In fact had it been symmetrical in missing glasses I would not have been taken aback so much. Because I felt it was only one binnacle that had the glass missing that I got worried. I will check once again though for the ODO binnacle.
Sorry, my mistake. Just went to the parking and checked. The ODO binacle has a glass, the other one does not.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 18:52   #3725
BHPian

Quote:
Had this doubt a year back. I had asked this then to the Customer Care by mail -

"I have noticed that on the tachometer, in the meter where the engine temperature gauge is located, there is NO protection glass,
whereas the same is present in the fuel gauge and other speedo and RPM meter gauges. Is this a fault in my vehicle or by design."

The reply from the Customer Care is -
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-untitled.jpg  

anandtheleo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 21:46   #3726
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Had this doubt a year back. I had asked this then...-
Typical CS gibberish. Instead of focussing on the real query/worry of the customer about the missing glass they blabber about how their LCD display is so superior.
Old 13th November 2012, 00:40   #3727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Cost-cutting could not be the reason, those pieces of plastic/glass would not cost more than 10Rs. for all 3.
May Weight Reduction. Read some where one focus area during XUV design phase was "weight reduction". In Nissan Leaf, EV, there is no glass cover for the touch screen unit (navigation and other displays), but a thin plastic cover. Nissan claim this is done mainly to reduce weight (even though it is negligible savings).
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 00:40   #3728

Hi fellow BHPians,

I have recently booked Mahindra XUV 500 W8 FWD (Moondust Silver) on Oct 16th 2012 from Sireesh Auto, Bangalore. The dealer has given me an estimated DD of 5/02/2013.
I have the following queries
1.) Will I get the 2013 Model or do I need to resort to cross check the VIN number of the vehicle(to verify if its a 2013 make) once it reaches stockyard ?
2.) Also I am interested in going for the Headrest mounted LCD TV screens that comes as a part of Mahindra's standard accessories. Please advice me if its worth going for it

Cheers,
Old 15th November 2012, 06:07   #3729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinad
Hi fellow BHPians,

I have recently booked Mahindra XUV 500 W8 FWD (Moondust Silver) on Oct 16th 2012 from Sireesh Auto, Bangalore. The dealer has given me an estimated DD of 5/02/2013.
I have the following queries
1.) Will I get the 2013 Model or do I need to resort to cross check the VIN number of the vehicle(to verify if its a 2013 make) once it reaches stockyard ?
2.) Also I am interested in going for the Headrest mounted LCD TV screens that comes as a part of Mahindra's standard accessories. Please advice me if its worth going for it

Cheers,
If you get delivery in Feb, there's a greater chance that you'll get a 2013 model. However, you might just get your delivery in Jan, in which case you could get a 2012 manufactured car. It's best to check it with the help of the VIN.
If you're not really in a hurry, you can insist on getting a 2013 car which might mean you having to give up your allotted car and waiting a little longer.

As far as the screen goes, if it's a M&M standard accessory, fitted by the dealer then there's absolutely no problem in getting it fitted.
Old 15th November 2012, 11:59   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
Hi fellow BHPians,

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post

As far as the screen goes, if it's a M&M standard accessory, fitted by the dealer then there's absolutely no problem in getting it fitted.
@Leinad: While I agree with Kaiserketkar that there should not be any issue with the fitment of the LCD screen from the dealer, I would strongly advice you check out some alternatives. The LCD accessories are of low resolution and expensive for the quality. If you are tech savvy and would like more entertainment options, I would recommend getting a couple of decent tablets (Nexus 7 or iPad, based on your budget and preference) with car mount kits, instead of the LCD screens. You can check out SDP's ownership thread which had a couple of discussions on this topic.
However, if you don't care about the resolution and don't want to go through the hassles of trying to mount the tablets, you can go for these.
Old 15th November 2012, 12:56   #3731

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
@Leinad: While I agree with Kaiserketkar that there should not be any issue with the fitment of the LCD screen from the dealer, I would strongly advice you check out some alternatives. The LCD accessories are of low resolution and expensive for the quality. If you are tech savvy and would like more entertainment options, I would recommend getting a couple of decent tablets (Nexus 7 or iPad, based on your budget and preference) with car mount kits, instead of the LCD screens. You can check out SDP's ownership thread which had a couple of discussions on this topic.
However, if you don't care about the resolution and don't want to go through the hassles of trying to mount the tablets, you can go for these.
Thanks @kaiserketkar and @DoneAndDusted for the info.

Actually I am not that tech savvy , but would definitely be interested if we have other brands of Headrest mounted Screens that are available that can be fitted. But again will it void warranty, if I fit any other brand's LCD screen ?

Has any XUV owner(s) fitted Mahindra's headrest LCD that comes as part of standard accessory? If yes, I would like to know how its faring so far.
Old 17th November 2012, 00:00   #3732
BHPian

Interesting article in today's Business Standard (Nov 16).
http://www.business-standard.com/ind...rubber/492749/
According to this article, Maruti Suzuki, XUV 500 and Duster are burning the tyres in an otherwise weak auto market. XUV has bookings of 17K, Duster 11K. Enjoy the article for more details.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 11:55   #3733
BHPian

Hi All
I got confirmation from the dealer that i would be getting my XUV w6 Dolphin grey next week . I would like to thank everyone who contributed their experiences in this and the niggles thread to help me make this decision

I was planning on the following immediately.
1. 3D Kagu Mats
2. GPS navigaton + Reverse camera.

I was planning to go to JC road to get accessories like 3D Mats etc. Would anyone suggest any place in bangalore where I could get these Accessories.
Old 20th November 2012, 13:18   #3734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
Hi fellow BHPians,

I am surprised that there is still so much of a waiting time for the XUV, here in Mumbai the dealers are committing 2-3 weeks of delivery time.

I am holding on for now only to go in for the 2013 manufactured vehicle (also hoping that few more niggles would be ironed out & may be get some pre budget offers )
Old 20th November 2012, 20:49   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I am surprised that there is still so much of a waiting time for the XUV, here in Mumbai the dealers are committing 2-3 weeks of delivery time.

I am holding on for now only to go in for the 2013 manufactured vehicle (also hoping that few more niggles would be ironed out & may be get some pre budget offers )
I am surprised. I just spoke to my SE today and she said that delivery for W8 is 5-6 weeks in Mumbai and W6 is about 2 months. Your figure of 2-3 weeks...did you get that from a very credible source?
By the way, she also told me that they delivered 45 XUV 500s on Diwali day !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks