Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 22:51   #3676
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoboy View Post
Anand Mahindra@ In JDPower Customer Service Index results Mahindra ranks 5th out of 12 Auto cos with most improved score- a 54 point increase!”

What do you say guys!!!
Yes this is definetly an issue and can say it is relevant across the board. You do find rotten apple here and there. You had a bad experience.

BTW all these survey are sham, I have lost faith in themsince satyam fiasco wrt Pricewaterhousecoopers.

But as far as my case is concerned , touch wood, till now it has been wonderful. I have got a lady RM, who is more than helpful, they even helped to deliver side step & side mould on a recent holiday. I'm sure Zappo would agree to that. What say rest of guys?
Vasuki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 23:35   #3677
BHPian

There are 2 Main Fuses in my W6 -- MF1 (100 A) and MF2 (150 A). Today, as I was familiarizing myself about the fuses and relays in the engine compartment, I was quite surprised (and alarmed) to see that MF1 is not properly secured. Whereas MF2 is secured by a screw and a nut, MF1 is secured only by a screw on one side but the nut on the other side is missing.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mf-1.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mf-2.jpg

Apprehending arcing (and possible fire) due to loose connection on a high current (100 A) Main Fuse, I rang up the Service Manager of my dealer / A.S.S. and apprised him about my finding. He promised to check out other XUV's and revert. Subsequently, he informed me that only MF2 is connected in the circuit and MF1 is required to be put in circuit only if certain optional electrical accessories are installed and that is why MF1 has been deliberately left 'partially connected'.

I think the SM checked only W8's as mine is the only W6 to be sold in Jamshedpur AFAIK.

Could XUV (both W8 and W6) owners kindly inspect their engine compartment fuse box and let me know whether their MF1 too has the missing nut? I need to put my mind at rest on this issue.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:57   #3678
Senior - BHPian

Recently my friend's XUV5OO's PS went kaput which I posted in the niggle thread just before this. I sincerely had high expectations with this kind of pitching from M&M atleast on core parts and working of the vehicle and would have digested any issues with electronics. It does not matter that they are taking care of these core or non-core issues in warranty. What happens if these issues are to crop up suddenly on highway runs and one lands in serious situation? I am disappointed. It cannot be just a case of selling thrill to drive car. There are others that can satisfy to thrill to drive. This is a mass market car where reliability and safety is utmost important and even one case cannot be termed as let-go-off case.

One big question is how at all is M&M able to manage so many warranty claims and that too on critical parts? Mostly more spending goes into R&D to make fail-safe relatively long-life parts and vehicle. And Manufacturers try to avoid any warranty claims as far as possible. It is not a case of generosity in warranty in this case for sure.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 17:40   #3679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Apprehending arcing (and possible fire) due to loose connection on a high current (100 A) Main Fuse, I rang up the Service Manager of my dealer / A.S.S. and apprised him about my finding. He promised to check out other XUV's and revert. Subsequently, he informed me that only MF2 is connected in the circuit and MF1 is required to be put in circuit only if certain optional electrical accessories are installed and that is why MF1 has been deliberately left 'partially connected'.
I don't buy the explanation of the SM, seems to be a case of a missing nut, ask them to put a new one when you are there next time or better still you can get it at any nearby accessory shop and DIY.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:42   #3680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
One big question is how at all is M&M able to manage so many warranty claims and that too on critical parts? Mostly more spending goes into R&D to make fail-safe relatively long-life parts and vehicle. .
simple, part of the money saved in R&D will be used to procure parts that failed under warranty. That is the risk, M&M took, They were able to introduce the product quicker. If XUV was introduced after Strome and Duster, do you think, it will get the same attention it is getting now? The next version will be with less issues and people who are early adopters are/were mentally prepared for this. All is well!
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:46   #3681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
simple, part of the money saved in R&D will be used to procure parts that failed under warranty. That is the risk, M&M took, They were able to introduce the product quicker. If XUV was introduced after Strome and Duster, do you think, it will get the same attention it is getting now? The next version will be with less issues and people who are early adopters are/were mentally prepared for this. All is well!
Does it mean these core critical component failures are okay to live with in order to get an early launch? If M&M really thinks it took that risk, it is a risk with people's lives they are taking by introducing a not well engineered product without making 100% sure the fail-safety of these critical components. I don't think anybody will recommend living with these core issues. M&M's launch is not justified to capture market just by the fancy and frenzy of public. Their covering these issues in warranty is no solace/generosity to having these in the vehicle in the first place after launch. If it turns out that Storme is better engineered product than this, I would applaud Tata for taking all the time in world to make a fail-safe product. I am guessing even Duster would be better on these aspects at least. It doesn't matter when it is launched, what matters is a robust product.

Consider developing banking system and having flaws in it after going live. Would customers be happy if their transactions started resulting into incorrect funds transfer and people having to queue up/hassle for the same. The bank may revert faults but how good such a bank would be and what should happen to such bank's reputation.

Sorry but in my view, there are no recommendations to such failures. I wouldn't mind a faulty music system but not these. I just hope M&M gets their acts together and totally eliminate these core issues once and for all and re-launch it, recall all the batches they are unsure of such issues and perform immediate corrective measures.

Last edited by parsh : 3rd November 2012 at 13:49.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:10   #3682
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
simple, part of the money saved in R&D will be used to procure parts that failed under warranty. That is the risk, M&M took, They were able to introduce the product quicker.
No manufacturer will deliberately manufacture and bring to market a sub standard/ un developed/dangerous product, ever.

The fault lies with insufficient product/part testing facilities/experience/know how/dedication with most Indian manufacturers and the XUV too is an example of the same.

Unless our testing practices mature, we will not "get it right, the first time."
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 21:45   #3683
BHPian

I removed my engine cover (that black plastic thing with 'MHAWK 140' written on it) and discovered that it is actually a twin scoop directing ambient air entering through the front grill onto the huge intercooler directly under it.

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2012 at 11:52. Reason: No one else will be able to see your Assembly Line thread
Old 4th November 2012, 00:05   #3684
BHPian

My Cheetah is due for its first service in another 200kms. Due to some time limitations, planning to do a 600 odd km trip before the service . Some of the problems I have noted down so far are

- Brake replacement with new design
- kat-kat noise when accelerating
- gears not slotting proper especially while down shifting to 2nd/1st gears as well as reverse gear while moving from standstill
-wheel alignment
- thud noise with slightly strong impact felt within the cabin from the left front suspension, when driving over humps at fairly ok speeds.
- fogging within headlights
-window rattling noise on driver side
-minor issues like lose sun visors etc

Anything else, that I need to keep in mind or take note off based on common first service issues.

Also visited Anand motors on Bannerghatta road. They have taken over SKS and XUV's would be service here. The person informed me service would be starting in a weeks time and showed me around the service area. He also mentioned that they would be able to handle 30-40 vehicles at a time and hence waiting period post appointment would be 2-3 days at the max. And incase of any major delays to return the vehicle, a substitute car would be provided. Hope all this comes true in reality. Since its the closest one to my place, waiting for them to start.

FundaG
Old 4th November 2012, 06:41   #3685
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Dada, access to threads in assembly line is limited to thread-starter and Moderators only. Why don't you report the first post of your ownership thread and request the Mods to move the thread out of assembly line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
My Cheetah is due for its first service in another 200kms. ...

Anything else, that I need to keep in mind or take note off based on common first service issues.

My first service is also due.
I would suggest ask them to have them inspect your power steering as well. I am planning to do that.

Have you got your reverse-alarm enabled? If not, please get that done as well.

Last edited by SDP : 4th November 2012 at 06:44.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2012, 10:23   #3686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
No manufacturer will deliberately manufacture and bring to market a sub standard/ un developed/dangerous product, ever.

The fault lies with insufficient product/part testing facilities/experience/know how/dedication with most Indian manufacturers and the XUV too is an example of the same.

Unless our testing practices mature, we will not "get it right, the first time."
Absolutely.

But I believe now, the fault also lies in the basic design and engineering to cause such faults on various aspects of the overall fitment of the part in its assembly, various parameters that result into such faults, even if we say the quality of the part that goes kaput is low. And it may not be only the testing part that got overlooked in zeal to launch it to public.
Old 4th November 2012, 12:04   #3687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

n.devdath, I think both of us are saying the same thing. I did not say MM intentionally did it, but definitely they rushed the product to market. The long waiting list of XUV, proves that MM strategy worked as planned, people are okay with the list of issues.
Old 4th November 2012, 22:38   #3688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Dada, access to threads in assembly line is limited to thread-starter and Moderators only. Why don't you report the first post of your ownership thread and request the Mods to move the thread out of assembly line?
I tried to make my posts in my ownership thread as well-rounded and comprehensive as possible. I talked about my PDI, car delivery experience, doing insurance and registration on my own, feel of the XUV over a couple of short drives on the broken highways of Jharkhand, the engine cover's functionality as a twin scoop, etc. and uploaded quite a few pictures. I did report it but the Mods feel that I need to clock more miles in my XUV so that I can share a more authentic 'ownership experience' which will benefit members and followers of Team-BHP.

Now I'm a retired old fogey and drive less than 10,000 km per year. So it'll take me about a year to report a really meaningful ownership experience. But would my posts still be relevant after a year when the Mods finally decide to take my thread out of the freezer?

As a newcomer to Team-BHP, I clearly have a long learning curve ahead.
Old 4th November 2012, 22:56   #3689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda
the Mods feel that I need to clock more miles in my XUV so that I can share a more authentic 'ownership experience' which will benefit members and followers of Team-BHP.

Now I'm a retired old fogey and drive less than 10,000 km per year. So it'll take me about a year to report a really meaningful ownership experience. But would my posts still be relevant after a year when the Mods finally decide to take my thread out of the freezer?...
No, mods are definitely NOT looking at a 10K kms before you get the thread back in the section. They would rather expect you to click around a 1000 km or couples of weeks driving. So please do put some more kms on your ride & get a feel of your ride so that you can let us know some more details.
swiftnfurious is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 11:43   #3690
Senior - BHPian

XUV 5OO DC Lounge review:

http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...t-drive/14619/
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks