Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2012, 10:28   #3826
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

The XUV comes with scuff-plates, so I did not understand why you opted for the non-illuminated scuff-plates. Are they of a different size or material? Can you share a snap please?
I will take a pic during lunch today and paste it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Thanks Ash for your inputs. Lots to think about. Just correct me if I am wrong with regard to the Rear Parking Assist System (RPAS). While reversing you do get to see the sketch of the car,the distance you have to manouvere (as illustrated in the manual), and the audio alerts. With the reverse cam, you would actually see what's behind.

The default reverse assist has everything (beeps + distance indicator) except the live image. The camera adds this live image. I find this very useful and it gives a good idea as to the height of the object behind and the shape as well. Given the size of the vehicle I would say this is must have.
This accessory will not be visible from the outside so wont add to or spoil the look of the XUV.
Definitely a must have. I had no hesitation in adding this to my list.

I forgot to mention that I also got the side stripes added. It gives a very nice streaky look from the side. I dont exactly remember how much I paid for it (1.4K?). Since my xuv is white, this really enhances the look.

Last edited by ash_blore : 20th December 2012 at 10:30.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:02   #3827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
I too like SDP NEVER drive with the windows down, rain or no rain. If the car has been parked in the sun for long and the interiors are hot, I roll down the windows to let out the hot air for a minute or so. Then windows up and Ac on.
Likewise I too dont drive with the windows down be it rain or no rain. However, there had been situations where one is forced to roll down the windows partially while driving or atleast for a few minutes like
- a passenger is sick and would need some fresh air
- there is some odour in the car and driving with the windows down is the best way to get it cleared
- asking some one direction or paying toll at an uncovered toll booth or to collect something etc

Consider having to do any of the above in heavy rains. Water is sure to pour in. This may not be regular situations while driving in the rain. But I have experienced and know incidents where the switches on the door handles went bust due to water seepage and it mainly happens when water enters in such situations.

So final call on having a rain visor would depends on the location, the amount of rain driving and finally looks. Looks vise it came out well for my Honda city. Posting an image of my city with the visors. Have a feeling the tinted glasses also played some role in making the visors gel well. I have seen some XUVs on bangalore roads with the visor and have to admit they dint look odd. Not sure if it was third party ones that are sleeker.

FundaG
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img20120823wa0018.jpg  

Old 20th December 2012, 13:02   #3828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I noticed the often complained dashboard reflection the first time. Actually the golden crease on either sides of the screen, which runs till the windshield is quite prominent & really a distraction when the sun is shining. Anyone has found a solution to eliminate/reduce this reflection?
Though the reflection is a distraction initially, I feel it is something you get used to with time and goes unnoticed. I have been driving around for last 5-6 months with some long distance trips on sunny days and never felt it as a distraction unless you keep looking for the reflection on the glass. I too initially had issues with the reflection as my previous cars dint have dash reflection to this extent but then the human eye and brain just accommodates it in due time. One thing I have anyway done is place a rubberised mat on top of the dash above the central console opening. This is where I put my mobile or wallet and it sort of reduces the reflection. And again the mat is something that looks stylish and also can be moved around in comparison to a sticker which might leave gum incase of removing it in the future.

Just posting a pic of the illuminated scuff plate.

Also what does the switch with the cd icon on the dash do. Chk out the image where I have highlighted this switch. The manual says it takes you back to the source screen. I tried pressing while playing music but nothing is happening. I was thinking it was meant to load the CD directly like for Radio or Music.

FundaG
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-2012122012.31.30_small.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-2012122012.28.46.jpg  

Old 20th December 2012, 15:25   #3829
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Though the reflection is a distraction initially, I feel it is something you get used to with time and goes unnoticed. I have been driving around for last 5-6 months with some long distance trips on sunny days and never felt it as a distraction unless you keep looking for the reflection on the glass. I too initially had issues with the reflection as my previous cars dint have dash reflection to this extent but then the human eye and brain just accommodates it in due time. ....
Very well put! Every human sees his/her nose all the times, but we have tuned our brains so that it doesn't appear.

Quote:
...Also what does the switch with the cd icon on the dash do. Chk out the image where I have highlighted this switch. The manual says it takes you back to the source screen. I tried pressing while playing music but nothing is happening. I was thinking it was meant to load the CD directly like for Radio or Music.
If you are on any other functionality like Navigation , tyre-pressure info etc, pressing that button is a short cut to go back to the music screen.

PS: Thanks for sharing the pic with the "?" at the bottom. Looks like you are running the latest upgrade with the help functionality.
Old 20th December 2012, 20:55   #3830
BHPian

As promised, here are pics of the non-illuminated scuff plates.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20121220_150932_84_11.jpg
ash_blore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 22:26   #3831
Team-BHP Support

Thought to share this bit:

XUV 5OO got launched today at my place, Officially. Yes, I know its a bit late, but Mahindra was acting up a bit, else the dealer, Brajesh Automobiles would have cashed on the festive season.

25 XUV's are available. As per initial impressions, there don't seem to be many customers for the W6.

And there are quite a lot of XUV's already plying here, so no novelty anymore.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 23:31   #3832
BHPian

Quote:

If you are on any other functionality like Navigation , tyre-pressure info etc, pressing that button is a short cut to go back to the music screen.
Tried out the CD switch and it works the way you had mentioned. But then to return back to the current music screen, i could do that with the Music button or the back arrow on the screen. So basically this particular button does not do anything different. Or am I missing something.

FundaG
Old 21st December 2012, 10:54   #3833
BHPian

Quote:

PS: Thanks for sharing the pic with the "?" at the bottom. Looks like you are running the latest upgrade with the help functionality.
I believe the software update has solved a major issue faced by Samsung phone users. In the earlier version, the contact list, log details etc were not shown in the infotainment system for Samsung phones. It worked OK for nokia mobiles. But today I got a call while on bluetooth and the name was displayed. And when I checked further, I was really happy to see my contact list and call details being displayed. BTW I use a Samsung S2. So one more bug down.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:17   #3834
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the software update has solved a major issue faced by Samsung phone users. In the earlier version, the contact list, log details etc were not shown in the infotainment system for Samsung phones. It worked OK for nokia mobiles. But today I got a call while on bluetooth and the name was displayed. And when I checked further, I was really happy to see my contact list and call details being displayed. BTW I use a Samsung S2. So one more bug down.

FundaG
I'll disagree here. I have not updated to new infotainment software version.

I use samsung note and is able to access the contact list and call logs. Yes but not able to access the messages.

After updation are you able to access them?
Old 21st December 2012, 15:18   #3835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I'll disagree here. I have not updated to new infotainment software version.

I use samsung note and is able to access the contact list and call logs. Yes but not able to access the messages.

After updation are you able to access them?
Not sure about that. I had faced this issue of the contacts not syncing right from day one and I even posted it as a niggle. And SDP had mentioned that Samsung phones did face some issues with syncing.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2874889

Maybe this could be an android version not working properly with the previous version of the infotainment sw. No idea. It never worked for me and
since I had not updated the android version, it seems the bug was sorted out in the infotainment sw update.

I have not tried accessing the messages. Remember there was some setting in the infotainment system to disable viewing the messages. Did you check it out.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 18:58   #3836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I noticed the often complained dashboard reflection the first time. Actually the golden crease on either sides of the screen, which runs till the windshield is quite prominent & really a distraction when the sun is shining. Anyone has found a solution to eliminate/reduce this reflection?
I have stuck black insulation tape on the two shiny (silver-coloured in my car) bands on either side of the central 'waterfall' console (only in the horizontal area on top of the dashboard) to get rid of the reflection.

The area in between the two shiny bands is also quite reflective and sometimes causes distracting reflection (like a video being projected on the windshield!) of overhead trees or clouds. In such situations I simply cover the reflective surface with a dark-coloured cloth which I keep handy in the car.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 23:46   #3837
BHPian

OT : Just came across the Mahindra Live young, live free video. Was really impressed by the way the XUV's jump...amazing shots.

Felt mahindra should have used this for their ads. No Suv ads would come anywhere close.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 15:21   #3838
BHPian

Quick update on my xuv. Could take it out to highways first time last weekend for trip from bangalore to coorg. Overall FE was 11.8 kmpl which is decent. in Bangalore bumper to bumper traffic, I only get 9-9.5 kmpl.

It drives more like a car on highways and can cruise effortlessly at 100-120 kmph. I did not go beyond 120 kmph as my SA asked me to avoid high speed before first service. It absorbs small pot holes comfortably. went to Abbey falls in coorg where the road was very bad but I could glide it easily at 3rd gear.

Liked:
1. Apollo hawkz tyres are impressive and I am finding them really good.
2. Navigation system is good as it tells you to take at the right time. But I could not search some of the smaller areas in navigation system (e.g. Dubare, Abbey falls).
3. AC is dam good. You switch on rear a/c also and it cools every space in few minutes. It was 30'C + in coorg during day time.
4. Music system - I was on USB mode all the time and it has not hanged for me so far

Did not like:
1. Brakes are rather soft ( inspite of the fact that all are disc brakes). So I had to keep that in mind while speeding.
2. As posted many times on different threads, headlight is not enough and I had to keep my high beams always on in night on highway. I had never done this before. Note sure what is the solution.

We were 4 adults and 3 kids. I felt that I require roof top carrier to manage space nicely. I have not seen any xuv with roof top carrier ( or rear bull guard) in bangalore so far.. Can any one post some pictures if they have installed these accs.
Old 26th December 2012, 15:22   #3839
BHPian

Is there any discounts on XUV ? Looking at either XUV or Innova based on the final price quoted.
Old 26th December 2012, 16:28   #3840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalini_g View Post
Is there any discounts on XUV ? Looking at either XUV or Innova based on the final price quoted.
None! M&M has discounts for all other models except for XUV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks