Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2012, 16:44   #3076
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
One more thing i am remembering right now.. I didn't notice any screeching and chirping of tyres on my last TD unlike the two TD's i took in nov after the launch. I took similar route as last time where there are two U-turn and the tyres screeched both the times but this time around didn't notice it at all. no screeching at all. has mahindra worked on this also? others confirm about this.
Might be just the make of the tyres. XUV5OO comes with 2 types - Bridgestone Dueller and JK Elanza. The Bridgestones squeal all the time (as mentioned in the official review). I have the JKs and I have not noticed any squealing sound with them.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 20:25   #3077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
+1. Does upgrade of tyres to higher size,voids warranty in any sense? Heard this practice is followed by some makers.
Upsize will void your warranty for sure unless your dealer is way to friendly

I am looking to upsize my alloys from 17 to 19-20" so would have to deal with warranty issue for sure, but then as i am already using negative offset Alloys in my XUV, hence i can do the upsize.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 23:13   #3078

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Appreciate your judgement, views and the final decision. So which vehicle have you finalized as your next? Please do look at the Fortuner, the Yeti and the Duster. The last 2 are supposed to be much better in congested city roads.

Please do share any additional information about the engine failure on the XUV Niggles thread, along with the manufacturing month of the vehicle. Its basically the same engine that has been doing duty for multiple years in the Scorpio. Would look forward to understanding the root causes of the failure (as investigated by the service center) of such a trusted and reputed engine.
I booked Duster RXL .According to mahindra service station,there was leakage of oil from engine and car also warned by flashing light on display but the display is full of lights so the owner got confused and didn't got the proper message,continued driving the car and that caused the engine damage.
Old 15th August 2012, 23:51   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Might be just the make of the tyres. XUV5OO comes with 2 types - Bridgestone Dueller and JK Elanza. The Bridgestones squeal all the time (as mentioned in the official review). I have the JKs and I have not noticed any squealing sound with them.
by the way besides screeching, is there any difference between the two tyres? is Bridgestone better than the JK Elanza or vice versa? any difference in ride quality? then maybe i can ask my SA to provide me with that one if possible.

i think except the screeching, the bridgestone maybe be just a bit better in ride quality and grip... other XUV users please share your views.

also is there any other better option for tyres besides the OEM? like say yokohama or michellin etc? for similar use as with OEM tires. more on-road and a bit of off road. then can think of changing it during delivery itself if the performance and ride can improve and if its worth it. wont need to pay much difference also if its changed straight away. but if its really making much difference then only its worth i think. does anyone have any experience in this regard?
Old 16th August 2012, 08:05   #3080
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxtouch View Post
I booked Duster RXL .According to mahindra service station,there was leakage of oil from engine and car also warned by flashing light on display but the display is full of lights so the owner got confused and didn't got the proper message,continued driving the car and that caused the engine damage.
When driving, none of the lights/indicators in the speedo-tacho console should be lit and in that case, a sole flashing light should get the required attention.

On a separate note, its important to read the owner's manual on day-1 (or possibly even earlier) of the car ownership.

BTW, did your friend paid for the new engine or was it covered under warranty?

Congratulations on the Duster RXL!

Quote:
... then maybe i can ask my SA to provide me with that one if possible.
JKs and Bridgestones are given as per batches at the plant itself. I don't believe SAs are empowered to swap tyres from one vehicle to the other.

Quote:
... also is there any other better option for tyres besides the OEM? like say yokohama or michellin etc? for similar use as with OEM tires. more on-road and a bit of off road. then can think of changing it during delivery itself if the performance and ride can improve and if its worth it. wont need to pay much difference also if its changed straight away. but if its really making much difference then only its worth i think. does anyone have any experience in this regard?
There is very little information available (at least on this forum) about people trying out non-OEM tyres for XUV5OO. I recollect NitinRalli only.

Do you have any specific concerns about the car's ride and braking performance because of which you are looking at other options?

With no concrete data points about ride and performance of any other tyres on XUV5OO, it would be difficult to choose from Yokos, Michellins or any others.

With a vehicle that is yet to prove its reliability, in my opinion, keeping the vehicle in stock-condition would be better.

Last edited by SDP : 16th August 2012 at 08:07.
Old 16th August 2012, 09:16   #3081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
also is there any other better option for tyres besides the OEM? like say yokohama or michellin etc? for similar use as with OEM tires. more on-road and a bit of off road. then can think of changing it during delivery itself if the performance and ride can improve and if its worth it. wont need to pay much difference also if its changed straight away. but if its really making much difference then only its worth i think. does anyone have any experience in this regard?
I completely agree with SDP on this point. If its not necessary, don't go with any modifications for now.
Tires or alloys being a major one that has a big impact on the overall dynamics of the car, the way it handles and you never know it may affect your suspensions / other mechanical adversely. Unless you have deep knowledge on design perspective and know what you are doing (apart from the cosmetics/looks pov), don't do it.
Regarding the better make, people here perceive that BS is slightly better than JK, but no one really has reported any issues with the JK that they are giving. You may want to give it a try with your dealer to get you a vehicle with BS, you may have to wait longer for that if you really want it.
Ketan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 09:24   #3082

Note From Team-BHP Support: Post deleted for poor readability. Please ensure that you preview your post before submitting and that all your posts add value to the thread.

Last edited by noopster : 16th August 2012 at 18:14.
waxtouch is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th August 2012, 13:17   #3083
BHPian

sorry for back to back posts . Need a help from experts :

I have a W6 , and it doesnt have a GPS.

Want to install one. ANy suggestions ? What should I budget for a decent one ? Will I be able to install it into the ICE display as it is there in W8 ?
Old 16th August 2012, 14:13   #3084
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxtouch View Post
my friend did not paid for engine. It was covered under warranty.
Wow, Mahindras are generous , being ready to foot the bill for a problem that can be (at least partially) attributed to the ignorance by the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post

Want to install one. ANy suggestions ? What should I budget for a decent one ? Will I be able to install it into the ICE display as it is there in W8 ?
W8 uses Map My India. So see if that suits you. Should be 10-15K INR. Not really researched this area, but don't recollect seeing any models which can feed to a external display. BTW, W6's b&w screen might not be best suited for displaying the color maps.

Last edited by SDP : 16th August 2012 at 14:14.
Old 16th August 2012, 14:14   #3085
BHPian

Quote:

Isn't the W6 display a monochrome display? Not sure if it'll give you the best experience even if you manage to plugin in a PND output.

I guess your best bets are :

1. A PND which can be fixed on to the windscreen (eg: GPS Car Navigation and Entertainment Systems from MapmyIndia). Some of them supports reverse camera also. You can get that too.

2. A smartphone with navigation. Nokia phones offer decent navigation. But the coverage is not great outside major cities. If you've an Android phone, you could get the mapmyindia mobile app. (Sygic Mobile Maps: Cross-platform navigation maps and software for your phone from MapmyIndia)
tachobells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 16:23   #3086
BHPian

Quote:
JKs and Bridgestones are given as per batches at the plant itself. I don't believe SAs are empowered to swap tyres from one vehicle to the other.

There is very little information available (at least on this forum) about people trying out non-OEM tyres for XUV5OO. I recollect NitinRalli only.

Do you have any specific concerns about the car's ride and braking performance because of which you are looking at other options?

With no concrete data points about ride and performance of any other tyres on XUV5OO, it would be difficult to choose from Yokos, Michellins or any others.

With a vehicle that is yet to prove its reliability, in my opinion, keeping the vehicle in stock-condition would be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I completely agree with SDP on this point. If its not necessary, don't go with any modifications for now.
Tires or alloys being a major one that has a big impact on the overall dynamics of the car, the way it handles and you never know it may affect your suspensions / other mechanical adversely. Unless you have deep knowledge on design perspective and know what you are doing (apart from the cosmetics/looks pov), don't do it.
Regarding the better make, people here perceive that BS is slightly better than JK, but no one really has reported any issues with the JK that they are giving. You may want to give it a try with your dealer to get you a vehicle with BS, you may have to wait longer for that if you really want it.
Thanks guys. I have no specific reason or specific concerns about the car's ride and braking performance because of which I am thinking about better options but thought that if there is a better option which is tried by people here in the forum which results in better ride and handling compared to BS or JK then I can think of it beforehand and if its not much difference in price that is.

but now i think its better to stick with the ones that come factory installed. though it will be helpful if I can know the difference between the two apart from the screeching. if the ride quality is better in one than the other. so I can try for that if possible. i know it will b difficult but can atleast give it a try.
Old 16th August 2012, 16:28   #3087
BHPian

A friend of mine got Hankook Dynapro HL 255/60 R17 installed.
He's got a W6 with Prestige Alloys.
Quite happy with the tyres. XUVs got a wide stance.
Me...Am still sticking to my W8s OEM tyres as of now.

Last edited by princey : 16th August 2012 at 16:29. Reason: adding a post
Old 16th August 2012, 16:43   #3088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm using MMI phone app on a deidcated cell phone for quite sometime. I feel its decent and covers a lot of cities/areas. I have found it to be useful on my long trips while taking bypasses and not lossing my ways in side the city or taking wrong turns..
For India, its a good device/functionality to assist you find your way and you cant blindly trust them.
I would love to get it on the in-built display if we can! but need to find out the ways to do it, since its been integrated with so many other things, not sure how cleanly we can do it.
If you find a way to do it/update the IS to something similar to W8 (even with less no of features but existing featurs working), let me know. I will join the gang.
Ketan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 18:04   #3089
BHPian

Quote:

Mannubhai,
I too have a W6 and I am currently using my Google Nexus 7 with NAVFREE (Free GPS Navigation software) for navigation.
Works wonderfully when I tested it while going to my farm house in maddur last week.

if you have a Android based phone / tablet with GPS you can download NAVFREE (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.ALL&hl=en) for free and Viola, you are good to go.

this weekend I'm planning to take my nexus 7 for a trip to madurai, will update you all once I'm back.

PS: Moderator's, This is a generic message on GPS, if you feel that this message does not fit here please move it to "Technical" section.
SAMUDRA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 18:25   #3090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mannubhai, forget this option as W6 has Mono screen so it will not show a moving map (turn by turn) on this screen. I use Samsung S3 Google Maps while traveling, and trust me its way too precise. I did Many trips where i had no clue bout the route, but thanks to S3 Google maps, i was able to reach my destination without a fuss. So use your phone, whichever make you have. I really dont think buying a SatNav for 10-15K is useful during the age of Smartphones. Just my 2 cents
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks