Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2012, 07:30   #2971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider
okay a Safety related question here...

I have noticed the XUV's front and seen a large gap between the front bumper and the radiator (i think..) and also the front bumper looks plasticky like its wheel arches, made out of fibre i think. so the bumper looks a bit decorative and hollow! the front doesn't look tough and something that can take and block the frontal blow from a crash safely. all this makes me wonder how safe is the XUV in a full frontal crash? its front doesn't look as tough as even the scorpio! so in comparison to say maybe a scorpio,innova or Aria, how safe would XUV be? i know it may be not as safe as a fortuner.. but innova or Aria are in same price range too and scorpio is a a segment lower.
I saw a XUV which had a bad shunt in the front, the bumper had been ripped off and removed, there is strong horizontal iron bar behind the bumper and before the radiator. Even though the bar itself was badly dented the radiator behind was intact.
anandtheleo is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 10:20   #2972
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post

I have noticed the XUV's front and seen a large gap between the front bumper and the radiator (i think..) and also the front bumper looks plasticky like its wheel arches, made out of fibre i think. so the bumper looks a bit decorative and hollow! the front doesn't look tough and something that can take and block the frontal blow from a crash safely. all this makes me wonder how safe is the XUV in a full frontal crash? its front doesn't look as tough as even the scorpio! so in comparison to say maybe a scorpio,innova or Aria, how safe would XUV be? i know it may be not as safe as a fortuner.. but innova or Aria are in same price range too and scorpio is a a segment lower.
Dear Magic Rider, Almost all cars have only a fiber front and rear bumper. This is to provide a basic level of safe-guard from say 2-wheeler riders. In the scenario of a high-impact, the metal bar inside the bumper would "absorb" the impact and keep your frame intact. This can be replaced by the A.S.S anyday.

concluding - the fiber bumper is an ornament. The main job is being done the metal bar behind the bumper. On an Average, XUV is pretty safe if driven within decent speed limits
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 11:12   #2973
BHPian

Guys, my third service is due next week. Those who have done the third service please let me know what all were changed/inspected in this service.

I for my part will check the service booklet to see what is to be done, but would be more confident if i get to know from fellow owners.

Also what was the cost incurred in this service? Thanks.
Old 6th August 2012, 13:05   #2974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
I saw a XUV which had a bad shunt in the front, the bumper had been ripped off and removed, there is strong horizontal iron bar behind the bumper and before the radiator. Even though the bar itself was badly dented the radiator behind was intact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Dear Magic Rider, Almost all cars have only a fiber front and rear bumper. This is to provide a basic level of safe-guard from say 2-wheeler riders. In the scenario of a high-impact, the metal bar inside the bumper would "absorb" the impact and keep your frame intact. This can be replaced by the A.S.S anyday.

concluding - the fiber bumper is an ornament. The main job is being done the metal bar behind the bumper. On an Average, XUV is pretty safe if driven within decent speed limits
@magikrider - I guess your question is answered already by anandtheleo and scopriobharath.

But, pls be aware that a safe car is the one which deforms itself to protect it's passenger. Scorpio and other SUVs look tough, but all the impact gets transferred to the passenger. XUV and other modern cars get crushed itself but tries to keep the passenger shell intact.

From wikipedia:
"Crumple zones work by managing crash energy, absorbing it within the outer parts of the vehicle, rather than being directly transmitted to the occupants, while also preventing intrusion into or deformation of the passenger cabin. This better protects car occupants against injury. This is achieved by controlled weakening of sacrificial outer parts of the car, while strengthening and increasing the rigidity of the inner part of the body of the car, making the passenger cabin into a 'safety cell', by using more reinforcing beams and higher strength steels.

They do tend to come off worse when involved in accidents with SUVs without crumple zones because most of the energy of the impact is absorbed by the vehicle with the crumple zone — however, even for the occupants of the 'worse off' car, this will still often be an improvement — as the result of two vehicles without crumple zones colliding will usually be more hazardous to both vehicle's occupants than a collision that is at least partly buffered"
tachobells is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 13:24   #2975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
If the wiper is in auto mode, then the speed of the wiper is dependent on the intensity of rain
Nope, I meant when manually setting it to INT and wipe speed at F.
Old 6th August 2012, 13:55   #2976
BHPian

OT :

Naveen,

Thats a super snap of ur cheetah in XUV's FB page .

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 18:17   #2977
BHPian

Fellow XUV owners,

I am finding the brakes on my W8, are having the terrible grinding sensation again and my SA tells me even though, there is an upgrade due, they haven't received it yet (dunno, which number of upgrade is this, the brakes as my memory serves, have been changed more than once on my XUV). Also, the DLRs on my XUV work/doesnt work as per their mood now, and to my frustration keeps working when I take it to the workshop, my SA told me unofficially that it is a common problem with some XUVs, any others here?

I have now had a number of bruises on my front bumper now, mainly right at either corners of the bumper, and since the fenders are plastic and connected completely to the bumper, that has resulted in a few locks and latches between these to break, which has also resulted in the fender moving from its position by half an inch or so, which has led to a gap between the head light unit and the fender, which other than looking odd, also creates wind noise. I have asked the SA to fix this, but apparently they are saying I will need a new bumper and a fender, which to me seems unnecessary. Is there anything i can do here? Also to avoid these small scrapes in peak Delhi B2B traffic, I would like to get some front bull guards installed, but since the car has a monocoque chassis, I am not sure where these can be fixed. Anyone here who has got them installed? Also does it hamper with your warranty in anyway?

I have now done a number of outstation trips and almost nearing 18k mileage. Where are the other first lot owners with their 'UV?

Ankur
Old 6th August 2012, 21:41   #2978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Fellow XUV owners,

I am finding the brakes on my W8, are having the terrible grinding sensation again and my SA tells me even though, there is an upgrade due, they haven't received it yet (dunno, which number of upgrade is this, the brakes as my memory serves, have been changed more than once on my XUV). Also, the DLRs on my XUV work/doesnt work as per their mood now, and to my frustration keeps working when I take it to the workshop, my SA told me unofficially that it is a common problem with some XUVs, any others here?

I have now had a number of bruises on my front bumper now, mainly right at either corners of the bumper, and since the fenders are plastic and connected completely to the bumper, that has resulted in a few locks and latches between these to break, which has also resulted in the fender moving from its position by half an inch or so, which has led to a gap between the head light unit and the fender, which other than looking odd, also creates wind noise. I have asked the SA to fix this, but apparently they are saying I will need a new bumper and a fender, which to me seems unnecessary. Is there anything i can do here? Also to avoid these small scrapes in peak Delhi B2B traffic, I would like to get some front bull guards installed, but since the car has a monocoque chassis, I am not sure where these can be fixed. Anyone here who has got them installed? Also does it hamper with your warranty in anyway?

I have now done a number of outstation trips and almost nearing 18k mileage. Where are the other first lot owners with their 'UV?

Ankur
Brakes are a problem. The solution till now is to replace them repeatedly till satisfation. A.S.S Will replace it but as indicated the problem might crop up.
you CAN fix a bullbar without voiding your warranty. In fact there is a Mahindra Geniune acessory available for the same. No GA can/will void warranty

A roadside mechanic can do wonders with your mis-aligned fender. A screw and a clamp from inside will do the trick. No need to change the fender assembly.

The DRL working intermittently is a known issue. BHPian SDP has sppoted some XUVs with DRLs not working on one side. If they are working intermittently, Request them to check the Wiring for the DRL. There should not be more than 5 connectors at the max. I feel one of the connectors are not fixed properly. this is Do-able under warranty.

Your A.S.S might not accept the fact that DRLs are working intermittently, so whenever the issue recurrs, please take a snap of the same on a camera and show it to them.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 23:29   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath
Brakes are a problem. The solution till now is to replace them repeatedly till satisfation. A.S.S Will replace it but as indicated the problem might crop up.
you CAN fix a bullbar without voiding your warranty. In fact there is a Mahindra Geniune acessory available for the same. No GA can/will void warranty
Not so sure about the bullbar, i have seen a couple of XUVs with them, but I don't think Mahindra has a official accessory like for a Scorpio, as XUV is a monocoque design and there seems to be no provision for a bull bar. And bullbars will interfere with effective working of crumple zones during a bad shunt (my friend found out about it the hard way in his Scorpio).
Old 6th August 2012, 23:42   #2980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not so sure about the bullbar, i have seen a couple of XUVs with them, but I don't think Mahindra has a official accessory like for a Scorpio, as XUV is a monocoque design and there seems to be no provision for a bull bar. And bullbars will interfere with effective working of crumple zones during a bad shunt (my friend found out about it the hard way in his Scorpio).
There are some Fiber(Plastic?) Fenders available, which bend/crumple upon impact, there-by minimizing damage to the frame. The "metal" ones will even bend the frame in a high-impact scenario.
Old 6th August 2012, 23:47   #2981
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, my third service is due next week. Those who have done the third service please let me know what all were changed/inspected in this service.

I for my part will check the service booklet to see what is to be done, but would be more confident if i get to know from fellow owners.

Also what was the cost incurred in this service? Thanks.
Hi Anand, My car got serviced (3rd ) last week. They changed the engine oil, gearoil, relevent filters in the service. Gears are relatively soft now.
They did something with the ECM software too, because there were few error codes that were showing up before the service in the OBD app on my mobile. They are all gone now.
I think there is no other SUV around 15lkh that can get serviced around 5k when all oils and filters (except air filter) changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-3rd-service.jpg  

Last edited by rohitbagai : 6th August 2012 at 23:52.
rohitbagai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 00:00   #2982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
Hi Anand, My car got serviced (3rd ) last week. They changed the engine oil, gearoil, relevent filters in the service. Gears are relatively soft now.
They did something with the ECM software too, because there were few error codes that were showing up before the service in the OBD app on my mobile. They are all gone now.
I think there is no other SUV around 15lkh that can get serviced around 5k when all oils and filters (except air filter) changed.
Rohit - What is wheel nut for alloy, mentioned in your bill? Is it that "lock nut" for added security? A Picture would help me.
Old 7th August 2012, 00:44   #2983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Crash tests done by recognized bodies help in this matter.

Here's a video to the ANCAP crash test for XUV5OO.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2805898

Here are more details about the test and the damage noticed to the XUV.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2808060

You can compare the rating with that of other vehicles for a quick comparison.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
@magikrider - I guess your question is answered already by anandtheleo and scopriobharath.

But, pls be aware that a safe car is the one which deforms itself to protect it's passenger. Scorpio and other SUVs look tough, but all the impact gets transferred to the passenger. XUV and other modern cars get crushed itself but tries to keep the passenger shell intact.

From wikipedia:
"Crumple zones work by managing crash energy, absorbing it within the outer parts of the vehicle, rather than being directly transmitted to the occupants, while also preventing intrusion into or deformation of the passenger cabin. This better protects car occupants against injury. This is achieved by controlled weakening of sacrificial outer parts of the car, while strengthening and increasing the rigidity of the inner part of the body of the car, making the passenger cabin into a 'safety cell', by using more reinforcing beams and higher strength steels.

They do tend to come off worse when involved in accidents with SUVs without crumple zones because most of the energy of the impact is absorbed by the vehicle with the crumple zone — however, even for the occupants of the 'worse off' car, this will still often be an improvement — as the result of two vehicles without crumple zones colliding will usually be more hazardous to both vehicle's occupants than a collision that is at least partly buffered"
Thanks a lot guys... really appreciate.

I was not aware about the metal bar behind the bumper as i had seen the radiator from outside the bumper honeycomb grill. so thought how much can it all take in a crash. and then i also saw the pic of the Monocoque frame of the XUV shown below, where i see no horizontal bar.

I had also seen the crash test video which shows the engine bay being crumpled badly and also the knees and lower legs are not provided much safety as the engine is pushed inside. and the same thing is also mentioned in the report. hence my apprehension.

and i am also aware that all the bumpers are made of fibre. have seen in all my cars that my family have owned since the time suzuki entered india with the original Japanese suzuki 800 in the early 80's. only the fiats and amby's before that had metal bumpers. but what i meant that it doesn't look that strong in comparison to scorpio and innova overall. since even the wheel arches are made of fibre. so overall there is too much of fibre in the front which is just decorative and dont provide any real safety. kind of hollow.

searched for the innova and aria crash test but couldn't find anywhere. did see the scorpio gateway though. which managed just 3 stars in ANCAP safety ratings. couldn't find the regular scorpio though but I think the front of scorpio and scorpio gateway is same so it must be similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-monocoqueconstruction.jpg  

Last edited by magikrider : 7th August 2012 at 00:49.
Old 7th August 2012, 11:11   #2984
BHPian

Quote:

Anandtheleo is absolutely right Scorpiobharath, there is no GA from Mahindra for front bullbar, they only supply the rear, which is for the very reason that there are no chassis support in the front for the bullbar. Any additions to the front will play some deviance from the ideal way the crumple zones should work, but I would have imagined, this will not make that much of a difference, ergo you have all the SUV's generally which have this as a GA from the company.

As for the adjustment on the Fender, I don't know if you have get this done, this is a very tedious and expensive project even from the road side dry denters, as you would end up taking out the bumper and the fenders to make a complete alignment, something that I have already tried.

The DRLs issue as per my SA can be sorted out only by replacing the entire HU, which they currently do not have in stock
Old 7th August 2012, 12:04   #2985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Thanks Manoj for noticing it
A couple of pics down the album is my mamba .

Most Viewed