Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2012, 18:48   #3211
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
off topic, today i saw this message on XUV500 page, "Prices are being updated. This page will be available shortly " is there any news? priced got revised again?

http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/product/price.aspx
There are reports of 15K INR increase from 1st Sep, by someone who is currently in booking stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkytalks View Post
...I did notice this time that the central steering console juts down and hits the legs when the seat is kept in the maximum up position - but the problem disappears when seat is lowered.

Which means visibility has to be compromised for the sake of leg comfort.

Has anyone else experienced this problem - steering column jutting between the knees?

Thanks,
Yes sir. Its a combination of seat height and steering tilt that causes this. I have managed to find a position, where it does not bother me, but I still feel the driving position is not 'perfect'. I would give the driving position 7.5 out of 10. I am 5'10" btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhound View Post
Has anyone had problems with playing songs on USB mode ?

Ive found the software to be extremely slow in jumping tracks (while pressing skip/forward). There is literally a 10 second delay in jumping to the next track and gets agonizing if ones jumping the first 20 or so songs.
With large capacity USB sticks, the infotainment system struggles. I use a 16GB one, which is around 1/3rd full. The first read takes sometimes about a minute. I have a hunch that it caches the song and directory listing because next time, it does seem to read faster.

Pressing the forward/reverse does have a noticeable lag. If there are lots of songs, you might notice a gap between subsequent songs as well. Press the forward/reverse a few times in succession without pausing between clicks and the system just gets overwhelmed and hangs.

Sometimes the song from the USB hangs, when the navigator is on. Noticed it 3-4 times.

My solution: I have picked up multiple medium capacity USB sticks. They are dirt cheap anways.

Last edited by SDP : 31st August 2012 at 18:59.
Old 31st August 2012, 22:45   #3212
Senior - BHPian

XUV Auto - Delayed by at least 2 years

All - An update as per Autocar India magazine.

XUV Auto will be expected not earlier than 2014 as they are still to find a vendor. Hyundai is being evaluated for the same. Ssanyong and Mahindra and jointly trying to source the 6 speed auto box from Hyundai for their respective products.

Reason: the current gearbox is not compatible with the transverse engine layout in the XUV.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 31st August 2012 at 22:48.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 23:06   #3213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhound View Post
Has anyone had problems with playing songs on USB mode ?

Ive found the software to be extremely slow in jumping tracks (while pressing skip/forward). There is literally a 10 second delay in jumping to the next track and gets agonizing if ones jumping the first 20 or so songs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Yes the software is slow... and this becomes more acute if the USB is too big and/or has too many songs in it. I notice this particularly when the system boots the first time. USB takes too long to kick in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
With large capacity USB sticks, the infotainment system struggles. I use a 16GB one, which is around 1/3rd full. The first read takes sometimes about a minute. I have a hunch that it caches the song and directory listing because next time, it does seem to read faster.

Pressing the forward/reverse does have a noticeable lag. If there are lots of songs, you might notice a gap between subsequent songs as well. Press the forward/reverse a few times in succession without pausing between clicks and the system just gets overwhelmed and hangs.

Sometimes the song from the USB hangs, when the navigator is on. Noticed it 3-4 times.

My solution: I have picked up multiple medium capacity USB sticks. They are dirt cheap anways.
maybe the best option is a powered USB device like an iPod. I confirmed with a bhpian here that it doesn't pose any problem known with the flash drives. maybe an ipod nano is a good option, though expensive compared to flash drive.
Old 1st September 2012, 00:07   #3214
BHPian

just a doubt! when i went for a test drive, the sales person said "No more green colour" which was disappointing but when i got back home saw that in W6 only certain colors were given as option. I want a W6 in Purple color, is that possible?

The website still shows the Amazon Green though & does not say it is specific to the model.

I am so confused between the Duster & XUV (4 lakhs more...phewww). The poor attitude shown by Renault has made me think may be its better to stretch the budget by a mammoth 4 lakhs.

Last edited by urajkumar : 1st September 2012 at 00:12.
Old 1st September 2012, 07:10   #3215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar
just a doubt! when i went for a test drive, the sales person said "No more green colour" which was disappointing but when i got back home saw that in W6 only certain colors were given as option. I want a W6 in Purple color, is that possible?
Mahindra is not taking orders for the green color now probably as they maybe waiting for color to arrive, if its from outside India. Or they maybe discontinuing the color. This is what my dealer guy told me. You can however try for the purple color though i havent seen that on the streets yet.

After myself taking a test drive, i was blown away by it. You can read my review few posts back. I think the Xuv500 W6 at a price of 14lakhs is a steal with the plethora of space ship gizmos and gadgets that you get, which will be missing in the spartan duster. Plus over the years the service costs may turn out to be lesser than the duster. Both renault and nissan customers have faced quite a lot of dealer apathy and its better therefore, to stick to a more customer friendly mahindra dealer.
Old 1st September 2012, 08:19   #3216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post

The website still shows the Amazon Green though & does not say it is specific to the model.

I am so confused between the Duster & XUV (4 lakhs more...phewww). The poor attitude shown by Renault has made me think may be its better to stretch the budget by a mammoth 4 lakhs.
4 lakh? I did this comparison a couple of months ago, before I finally booked the XUV W8. I found the difference to be a bit over 2 Lakh. The top end duster RxZ with Leather is about 13.5 in Hyderabad, whereas XUV W8 is about 15.7 (On Road). The RxL (85 bhp) Option or the RxL (110) is also about 11.94 L vs the 13.9 L for the XUV W6.
Based on my requirements and the feature list, I went with the XUV.
I don't think the price difference is so huge.. Please recheck..
Old 1st September 2012, 08:55   #3217
BHPian

Well...I was looking at base diesel or petrol version which is 9.5 lakhs.(petrol is 8.6) on road in chennai since I don't see value in higher versions of duster (except for missing ABS and airbags) but W6 which is base version is 14 lakhs on road.so its a 4 lakh diff
Old 1st September 2012, 10:24   #3218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post

W6 in purple is not possible unless something changed recently. W6 has all the colors except Purple and A.Green.
Duster is a good option. However you need to look at your requirements and likings, Duster may be more twoards practical approach but misses on a powerful engine compared to mHawk140. Otherwise, I guess it'd have been a very good alternate with just a couple safety features added to it. With these negative points and marginal pricing difference is where its loosing some market to XUV IMO.
Old 1st September 2012, 11:07   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
off topic, today i saw this message on XUV500 page, "Prices are being updated. This page will be available shortly " is there any news? priced got revised again?

http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/product/price.aspx
Yes - the price is apparently going up by 15K across variants from Sep 1st as per the dealer.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:23   #3220
Senior - BHPian

Re: XUV Auto - Delayed by at least 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Reason: the current gearbox is not compatible with the transverse engine layout in the XUV.
Isn't that bad product planning & design... not to take away any credit from the manual XUV, which is god IMO. They had aimed this to be a premium product & entry vehicle to European & other advanced markets, & they do not have the compatible automatic transmission for these markets.

This should have been though off at the time of engine layout design itself, rather than now, so that they could have reached break even point earlier.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:32   #3221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Isn't that bad product planning & design... not to take away any credit from the manual XUV, which is god IMO. They had aimed this to be a premium product & entry vehicle to European & other advanced markets, & they do not have the compatible automatic transmission for these markets.

This should have been though off at the time of engine layout design itself, rather than now, so that they could have reached break even point earlier.
Actually their demand for XUV is so high that they are not bothering about the AWD itself, lest they would bother about the Auto XUV. Currently, There is not Auto SUV available for less than 20 lacs so they have no worries about loosing numbers to competitors. The only option was Scorpio and for a 50% more, we get the Fortuner.
Old 1st September 2012, 12:44   #3222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Actually their demand for XUV is so high that they are not bothering about the AWD itself, lest they would bother about the Auto XUV. Currently, There is not Auto SUV available for less than 20 lacs so they have no worries about loosing numbers to competitors. The only option was Scorpio and for a 50% more, we get the Fortuner.
Yes, I understand it's not a major issue in India as we are predominantly manual transmission market & autos are considered inefficient, slow, unreliable & costly to maintain.

But, in the advanced countries they would need the autobox as more customers prefer the same, as it is competing against better products. Moreover, it should be at least 5-speed auto lest it would be bashed by critics & customers even before it is on roads, & that's what I was pointing to.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 12:50   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I understand it's not a major issue in India as we are predominantly manual transmission market & autos are considered inefficient, slow, unreliable & costly to maintain.

But, in the advanced countries they would need the autobox as more customers prefer the same, as it is competing against better products. Moreover, it should be at least 5-speed auto lest it would be bashed by critics & customers even before it is on roads, & that's what I was pointing to.
If i am not mistaken Even Europe is open to Manual Trannies.

I Agree with you that the Main design head must be fired if he did not foresee the traverse layout not being compatible with the XUV's layout. If this was predicted earlier and Anand was okay with this, then maybe its a strategic move by Mahindra.

I also agree with your logic. Be it a Hyundai Gearbox or M&M's home grown or even Ferrari's gearbox, engine and gearbox must be compatible with traverse or longitudinal engine layouts mutually. Change the Gearbox or change the design.
Old 1st September 2012, 13:02   #3224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....They had aimed this to be a premium product & entry vehicle to European & other advanced markets, & they do not have the compatible automatic transmission for these markets.

I guess this is an engine derived / modified from the Scorpio right? Since Scorpio was aimed predominantly for India, they would have overlooked that fact!
Old 1st September 2012, 13:44   #3225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess this is an engine derived / modified from the Scorpio right? Since Scorpio was aimed predominantly for India, they would have overlooked that fact!
Yes. It is the same engine with the same mechanical parts, just that it is tuned for power and mounted transversely on the XUV instead of longitudinally on the scorpio.

Maybe they overlooked it or internally they knew that Scorpio Auto will be stopped someday or the other.

Technically, I think the Longitudinal or traverse mounting does not pose much of a technical challenge. I Think That it has more to do with the "space" aspect for mounting. If XUV does not have the space for an Autobox, I think M&M and Hyundai will have to work together to tweak the Auto box to be compatible with XUV.

If Korando / Rexton / Chairman have a transverse layout, investment makes sense, otherwise only for XUV investment will take ages to break even.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks