Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 12:29   #3361
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamal Kokan View Post
Just realised that the snap has not been uploaded.
My point is why the hell is the footstep an accessory in XUV. Its comes as part of the vehicle for Bolero, Xylo and I even see it on the initial snaps of Quanto. As well as most of the SUV's in the market including the smaller Duster.

I remember asking the sales person while taking delivery if footsteps were actually required and the person promptly replied "YEs Sir. You need to fix footsteps or else it will be difficult for old people, kids , ladies in sarees and short people to get in"
And my next question was "If you are so sure it would be a hassle to get in, why is it an add-on accessory and not provided as part of the package like in the other mahindra suv's". The sales person went silent as I am sure he was thinking what to answer and the silence was the final answer to the entire topic..

FundaG
Old 21st September 2012, 12:43   #3362

Mahindra XUV500 W8 : 3 Months Feedback

Finished 3 months and 3500 km... Mix of city driving and highway travel to Udaipur, Agra, Fort Kuchesar on the express way. My 2 cents on the car:

PROS:
1. Superb driving feel, well planted at high speeds, extremely low fatigue levels on long drives. Drove from Udaipur to Delhi non stop for 12 hours. No Prob! Lower Back was fine.
2. Tons of features but mostly use the GPS, Mood lighting (Friends love it), Cruise Control on the Agra Express Way was a lot of fun.
3. Amazing 2nd row space. 3 ppl can sit easily for 2 its heaven. Very comfortable, AC is a blast.
4. Lots of storage space for knick knacks, interior lighting, thoughtful features like chargers on seats, etc.
5. Overall a great package.

CONS:

1. Finding parking in Delhi!!
2. The Head Lights - major issue with uneven throw. Have to drive in high beam on highways. (Don't know if others face the same prob). Took it to the service centre and they couldn't resolve it. Any ideas?
3. The reverse camera keeps conking off - dealer tried re wiring, software update, etc. Works for a few days and conks off. (But this is a dealer issue and not necessary a fault with the car)
4. The music could have been better. The USB and 3.5 mm Jack are badly placed and once has to really hunt for the damn thing. Difficult when driving.
5. My Bluetooth refuses to add more devices other than my phone. Will get it checked at first service.
6. Very jumpy and rocky on bad roads and slow speed. Need to be really careful. Suspension keeps making funny noises.

These are not really major issues but fixable except the light issue which is very irritating. Overall I am very happy with the car, love the ease with which i can climb in and out of bad roads, pot holes and whatever Gurgaon throws at me. Most importantly - WIFE is HAPPY!
Ravi1976 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 14:30   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 W8 : 3 Months Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi1976 View Post
2. The Head Lights - major issue with uneven throw. Have to drive in high beam on highways. (Don't know if others face the same prob). Took it to the service centre and they couldn't resolve it. Any ideas?

4. The music could have been better. The USB and 3.5 mm Jack are badly placed and once has to really hunt for the damn thing. Difficult when driving.
5. My Bluetooth refuses to add more devices other than my phone. Will get it checked at first service.
6. Very jumpy and rocky on bad roads and slow speed. Need to be really careful. Suspension keeps making funny noises.
You need to get the headlamp aim adjusted a bit, try to get the level-3 set to either same or a bit higher than your current level-0 position, this will get you a bit better aim/reach at highway speeds but then may create a bigger dark patch betwen the vehicle and the point where aim/headlamp throw starts, which can also be filled a bit by fog lamps, but not really required to fill on highways, you can use level-3 inside the city to ensure its not blinding oncoming traffic and use level-0 on highway speeds

I have added two phones, no issues with them so far
Yes, I have found it to be very bumpy, my parents found it really bumpy/bouncy since they had better drive in the hatch earlier, but thats expected to certain level since its an SUV, tons of space in middle seat easily compensates for it.
Drive safe.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 15:06   #3364
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finished 3 months and 3500 km. Mix of city driving and highway travel to Udaipur, Agra, Fort Kuchesar on the express way. My 2 cents on the car:

PROS:
1. Superb driving feel, well planted at high speeds, extremely low fatigue levels on long drives. Drove from Udaipur to Delhi non stop for 12 hours. No Prob! Lower Back was fine.
2. Tons of features but mostly use the GPS, Mood lighting (Friends love it), Cruise Control on the Agra Express Way was a lot of fun.
3. Amazing 2nd row space. 3 ppl can sit easily for 2 its heaven. Very comfortable, AC is a blast.
4. Lots of storage space for knick knacks, interior lighting, thoughtful features like chargers on seats, etc.
5. Overall a great package.

CONS:

1. Finding parking in Delhi!!
3. The reverse camera keeps conking off - dealer tried re wiring, software update, etc. Works for a few days and conks off. (But this is a dealer issue and not necessary a fault with the car)

These are not really major issues but fixable except the light issue which is very irritating. Overall I am very happy with the car, love the ease with which i can climb in and out of bad roads, pot holes and whatever Gurgaon throws at me. Most importantly - WIFE is HAPPY!
Spot on observations! Both pros and cons.
At highway speed, the low beam is not adequate. I am going to talk to my RM about higher wattage bulbs.

The ride is bumpy at low speeds. Typically, unless there are craters (i.e. huge potholes), I don't slow down at all. At moderate to high speeds, on the same road, the ride gets much better.
Old 21st September 2012, 17:23   #3365
BHPian

Quote:
CONS:

love the ease with which i can climb in and out of bad roads, pot holes and whatever Gurgaon throws at me.
Aren't your two statements regarding suspension contradictory? Would appreciate if you could kindly elaborate a little more on suspension issues.

Nature of the suspension is very important for me in view of the numerous stretches of badly broken and cratered roads in Jharkhand. It is one of the main reasons why I decided to upgrade to the XUV from my existing Swift. During the test drive I did take the XUV over a few potholes and the behaviour of the suspension inspired confidence. But it is difficult to arrive at definitive conclusions after a few minutes of TD. Other fellow TBHPians who have driven their XUVs on very bad roads are requested to share their experiences.

There is another related issue on which I'd love to get feedback -- 'running-in' of the suspension. My personal experience with my previous cars has been that over 15-20K km of running, the suspension (of any car) tends to 'settle down'. Of course, there is an element of subjectivity here because the driver tends to get used to his new car's behaviour over a period of time and may perceive the same behaviour in a different way.
Old 21st September 2012, 18:50   #3366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
My point is why the hell is the footstep an accessory in XUV. Its comes as part of the vehicle for Bolero, Xylo and I even see it on the initial snaps of Quanto. As well as most of the SUV's in the market including the smaller Duster.
FundaG
The answer is quite simple my friend .
Do you see Cheetah's in Africa with footsteps?

Xylo comes with one because at least publicly Mahindra has not admitted that it drew inspiration from either a Hippopotamus or a Walrus for its creation.

Sorry for going OT but couldn't resist.

-- Wind
Old 21st September 2012, 19:53   #3367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
Aren't your two statements regarding suspension contradictory? Would appreciate if you could kindly elaborate a little more on suspension issues.
Not really contradictory. Depending on how a vehicle's suspension is tuned, it could exhibit different characteristics based on speed. So while XUV's suspension is not at it's BEST a low speeds, things sort out much better while doing high speeds!

Quote:
Nature of the suspension is very important for me in view of the numerous stretches of badly broken and cratered roads in Jharkhand. It is one of the main reasons why I decided to upgrade to the XUV from my existing Swift....
If the potholes are big enough where you need to slow down, I suggest getting a Duster, if you like it. It has the kind of GC required for bad roads and as per the reviews, has excellent ride quality - which is your primary concern/requirement.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 21:07   #3368
BHPian

Mod Note: Please use the 'EDIT' function within 30 minutes of posting - if you feel the need to add content to your existing post - instead of putting up consecutive posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If the potholes are big enough where you need to slow down, I suggest getting a Duster, if you like it. It has the kind of GC required for bad roads and as per the reviews, has excellent ride quality - which is your primary concern/requirement.
I did read reviews of the Duster praising its ride quality on bad roads but I had to rule it (buying a Duster) out because there is not a single dealership / service station of Renault in the whole state of Jharkhand and the after sales service and spare parts availability (and price) are pretty much unknown quantities for me.

This post is probably not entirely irrelevant on this thread on XUV500.

In his address to the nation today, PM Manmohan Singh said that diesel subsidy had to be reduced because it was benefiting owners of large diesel cars and SUVs. However, when petrol prices had been deregulated earlier, the same PM had said that it was being done because petrol was the fuel of the rich and diesel was being ‘spared’ because tractors, irrigation pumps, trucks and buses run on diesel!

Do they really believe that we are a bunch of idiots? SUV bashing (threats of recovering upfront the perceived monetary benefit enjoyed over 10 years by SUV owners due to subsidized diesel; painting SUV owners as rich demons; etc.) seems to have become a favourite pastime of politicians though a much larger percentage of a SUV price already goes to the govt. as taxes / excise duty due to their higher cubic capacity and length. Interestingly, even minor politicians like to be transported in a cavalcade of large SUVs at the taxpayer's expense!

As a future SUV (XUV!) owner I hereby register my protest against such hypocrisy.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd September 2012 at 01:45.
Old 21st September 2012, 22:26   #3369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamal Kokan View Post
Just realised that the snap has not been uploaded.
Thanks for the pic and the info Jamal. The price is very reasonable too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjain View Post
It is quite sturdy and when i checked the price has come down from 12k to 9k now
I just checked with VVC motors in hyderabad and they are still quoting 15K for the official sidestep. How can M&M have different prices in different states? I think the dealer here is making a quick buck. How do we validate and raise a protest? Can someone else comment on this please?I can post the official price list that I received from the dealer today which has the prices effective 7th of September 2012.

Quote:

As a future SUV (XUV!) owner I hereby register my protest against such hypocrisy.
I am with you Debuda.. When Beamers, mercs and the likes along with our ministers official vehicle (ambassador) and their private bevy of premium cars are all diesel, I wonder why when it comes to diesel bashing, only the SUV's are targeted ?
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 22:38   #3370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
....I just checked with VVC motors in hyderabad and they are still quoting 15K for the official sidestep. How can M&M have different prices in different states? I think the dealer here is making a quick buck. How do we validate and raise a protest? Can someone else comment on this please?I can post the official price list that I received from the dealer today which has the prices effective 7th of September 2012....
You could request a price confirmation of accessories on the XUV facebook page first. Incase the social media team doesn't get back on the issue, you could post the pricing inconsistency details.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:00   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
I just checked with VVC motors in hyderabad and they are still quoting 15K for the official sidestep. How can M&M have different prices in different states? I think the dealer here is making a quick buck. How do we validate and raise a protest? Can someone else comment on this please?I can post the official price list that I received from the dealer today which has the prices effective 7th of September 2012.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You could request a price confirmation of accessories on the XUV facebook page first. Incase the social media team doesn't get back on the issue, you could post the pricing inconsistency details.
Same dilemma. I have received the price list of 1st April 2012 from TVS cochin. I received their mail on 12 September 2012, with attached file. Here the rate for footstep is shown as Rs.14500\-. BTW they have shown two quotes, one is side step and other is side foot step, costing Rs.14500\-. What's the difference between the two? Yesterday I went to the TVS Mahindra delaership and they told me the prices have not changed and it costs the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XTOMS PRICELIST - XUV 5OO - 09 04 12.pdf (58.4 KB, 1272 views)

Last edited by Vasuki : 22nd September 2012 at 13:01.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:57   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki

Same dilemma. I have received the price list of 1st April 2012 from TVS cochin. I received their mail on 12 September 2012, with attached file. Here the rate for footstep is shown as Rs.14500\-. BTW they have shown two quotes, one is side step and other is side foot step, costing Rs.14500\-. What's the difference between the two? Yesterday I went to the TVS Mahindra delaership and they told me the prices have not changed and it costs the same.
I think both are the same. I guess the dealers are taking customers for a ride. Based on swiftnfurious suggestion I have posted this on the Xuv Facebook page. Someone from coimbatore posted that it only cost him Rs 9750. I hope m&m is looking at the posts.Would suggest you post the same. Let's see if mahindra takes some action
DoneAndDusted is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:16   #3373
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debuda
Other fellow TBHPians who have driven their XUVs on very bad roads are requested to share their experiences.

There is another related issue on which I'd love to get feedback -- 'running-in' of the suspension.
I have driven the car about 8000km in close to five and a half months of ownership. Breakdown of drives being, 5% city drive, 60% on good highways, 25 % on bad highways and 10% soft offroading.

For about initial 3000kms I did find the suspension to be hard and on much stiffer side. To overcome the problem, I did start exercising the suspension system especially when I had to drive over a small ramp by comming in a little fast at an angular approach thereby compressing the inward side and extending the outward leg.
I do find suspension now to my liking, much softer and tuned to my driving style.
I vouch for that since I have done majority of bad highway drives lately that too pushing the vehicle pretty hard. I found the roll much lesser and capacity to take on pot holes much more elegantly.

One downside being creaking sound from the front, don't know if it is from cut bush or general monsoon issue. Anyway taking my car for second service will get it checked up.
Cheers

Last edited by PGA : 23rd September 2012 at 13:19.
PGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 13:05   #3374
BHPian

Hi All. Booked a Silver XUV W8 last week - expected delivery time 16 weeks (dealer said, probably in Dec).

Planning to go for the following accessories - Mettalic Scuff Plates, Rain Visors, Contoured Body Guards & Stick Pad (to reduce the dashboard glare on the windshield)

Would it make a significant difference to push out the delivery by a few more weeks - so that I get a 2013 model and not an end 2012 make?
Old 24th September 2012, 15:30   #3375
BHPian

^^ absolutely, I say... on paper atleast you would be getting a new model..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks