Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2013, 16:33   #4111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post

I know several 'car lovers' who think that the frequency of engine oil change is directly proportional to their 'love' for their respective cars. But this has no technical basis.

IMHO, the main problem is this -- most of us (especially old timers like me) have a mindset that "engine oil should be changed every 3,000 to 5,000 KM to keep the engine healthy and smooth". This mindset is the result of our long association with Lambrettas, Jawas, Standard Heralds and Ambassadors. Technology has come a long way since. So we need to change our mindset.

Please note that the engine oil change interval in the XUV is 20,000 KM. Only the first and second oil change intervals are shorter (5,000 and 15,000 KM respectively).
An erudite post. Thank you for putting to rest a number of typical misconceptions!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 20:59   #4112
BHPian

I just got my first free service done at 5228 kms and 4 months. I had crossed both the time and kms. limit for the first free service but there wasn't any issue for the same. There were s few issues like left side pulling, instrument cluster cap rattling noise, gearbox tight in 1st and reverse and Hill hold lamp showing in instrument cluster, which is a sign of error.

All the problems were rectified except the Hill hold lamp issue, which they said didn't show up on error history when they checked. I use to get that error every now and then and use to go away after i restart the car. The technician also said that the reason for Hill hold lamp showing could also be due to heavy left aide pulling, which could also interfere with the ESP. Now that issue has also been rectified, hopefully Hill hold issue will also be cleared.

I had to keep the car at the workshop for 3 days for all this and i must say that overall i am very happy and satisfied with the work done. My usage involves city (40%) and highway (60%) run both and i usually get the combined average of around 12-13 kmpl. I had recently gone to shirdi and had achieved the average of around 16 kmpl on the highways.

Overall I am really happy and satisfied with the performance and comfort of the car in long journeys. Anyone who is skeptical due to the overhyped niggles, I would suggest to not worry about it too much and just go for it as this is the best SUV money can buy at this price point and a level above too. Mahindra has really done a comendable job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The 3 month service interval has been removed by M&M. Now only the mileage criteria remains. New service-booklets would have this information correctly.
When did this happen and how is it worked? I wasn't informed anything about it by my RM. I haven't been told about that by my RM or anyone. Wish Mahindra would inform about such details to its customers personally by way or letter or email.

P.S. - Please ignore my previous post which was sent by mistake as was using my phone and am a bit new to this touch screen thing. So I request the mods to please delete that post. Thank you.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 21:15   #4113
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
When did this happen and how is it worked? I wasn't informed anything about it by my RM. I haven't been told about that by my RM or anyone. Wish Mahindra would inform about such details to its customers personally by way or letter or email.
The service-interval removal has happened around 3 months back and apparently it was communicated to all owners by SMS on the phones registered with the Purple Club. Since most of us have DND activated on our phones, we have not received the SMS. I have a query open with customer-care to check if it is possible for them to send such communications on email as well.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 21:22   #4114
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday did a quick time check on my XUV. My Friend who is going to buy one soon, made me do this

From 0-60 8 secs
From 0-100 12 secs.
Old 4th March 2013, 21:57   #4115
NMS
BHPian

I was just doing a quick comparison between the W6 and W8 Versions. They have mentioned about W6 having "6-inch monochrome infotainment display" Can anyone shed some more light on what this is as compared to "6-inch colour touch-screen infotainment display" offered in W8?

Also does the W6 have AC vents on the B-Pillars and for the third row passengers as well like the W8 ??I am a bit confused here...
Old 4th March 2013, 22:10   #4116
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Was at the service center yesterday. Saw a new accessory - Rear Spoiler with integrated brake lights at the service center.

Informal news: Mahindras are working on some sort of retractable screen. The sun-film ban has triggered the move. Most likely this would be provided as an accessory.
I believe, it would be again illegal if it is an accessory. If they actually incorporate the screen in the door-panel design itself (in some future version of the XUV5OO), then it would be considered as factory-fitted and would be legal.
Old 4th March 2013, 22:55   #4117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
I was just doing a quick comparison between the W6 and W8 Versions. They have mentioned about W6 having "6-inch monochrome infotainment display" Can anyone shed some more light on what this is as compared to "6-inch colour touch-screen infotainment display" offered in W8?

Also does the W6 have AC vents on the B-Pillars and for the third row passengers as well like the W8 ??I am a bit confused here...
W6 does not have Touch color screen so it will not play DVD and SatNav. Thats about it, rest everything is same in W6. Its screen is Black and White and looks good.

Yes, W6 does have AC vents at B pillar and at the back just like W8.

Quote:
Was at the service center yesterday. Saw a new accessory - Rear Spoiler with integrated brake lights at the service center.

Informal news: Mahindras are working on some sort of retractable screen. The sun-film ban has triggered the move. Most likely this would be provided as an accessory.
I believe, it would be again illegal if it is an accessory. If they actually incorporate the screen in the door-panel design itself (in some future version of the XUV5OO), then it would be considered as factory-fitted and would be legal.
Yes it will be illegal if they come up with same retractable net you get for each cars these days. And Mahindra would not be able to provide door-panel design since it cost a lot so i guess it would not happen.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 09:54   #4118
BHPian

Some queries :

1. How to switch OFF navigation?

2. How to switch OFF cruise control. Let me illustrate an scary example as happened to me :

I had set the cruise @ 100 KM/Hr in 6th gear. Then after some time I used brakes & thus cruise was disabled.

Later on,I was in a moderate traffic situation near a junction and thus was in 3rd gear may be about 40 KM/Hr odd.

Accidentally pressed the resume button and the vehicle lurched forward with quite some acceleration.

I have come to notice that after pressing cruise off, still one can use resume button to reach predesignated cruise levels. OR is it just me.....

Last edited by Vasuki : 5th March 2013 at 09:56.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 10:18   #4119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Yes it will be illegal if they come up with same retractable net you get for each cars these days. And Mahindra would not be able to provide door-panel design since it cost a lot so i guess it would not happen.
I think it won't be illegal as it can be used when needed and lowered when needed for inspection thereby giving both advantages. It is upto the users to decide when best to use it, when on uninterrupted highways or in stop/go city traffic so traffic cops won't get distressed. Quite a few upmarket cars come with factory-fitted ones, e.g. Merc C220. By providing as an accessory, they are giving a good pricing option to customers than make it mandatory to pay for them to be factory-fitted. I do hope that even if it is an accessory, the door and the screen designs gel well to look like factory-fit and not some after-market kit. It will atleast remove the need for the black stick-on blinds.
Old 5th March 2013, 11:07   #4120
BHPian

Quote:

I had recently gone to shirdi and had achieved the average of around 16 kmpl on the highways.
Magikrider, that 16kmpl that you got on the Shirdi outing, was that the DIS display, or obtained via tankfull method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Some queries :

2. How to switch OFF cruise control. Let me illustrate an scary example as happened to me :

I had set the cruise @ 100 KM/Hr in 6th gear. Then after some time I used brakes & thus cruise was disabled.
Vasuki, cruise control is disabled as soon as you touch the brakes. If the car has not been switched off in-between, and you hit the resume button knowingly or by mistake, cruise will get enabled. In such a situation to disable just depress the brake.

Cruise is switched off when you switch off the car.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 11:25   #4121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post

Magikrider, that 16kmpl that you got on the Shirdi outing, was that the DIS display, or obtained via tankfull method?
Is was the DIS display but i have cross checked my DIS shown average with tank full method a couple of times earlier and it was pretty much accurate so i can rely on those results. and the average shown on DIS was above 16 kmpl so i assumed the actual average to be around 16 kmpl atleast.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:19   #4122
BHPian

Quote:

Vasuki, cruise control is disabled as soon as you touch the brakes. If the car has not been switched off in-between, and you hit the resume button knowingly or by mistake, cruise will get enabled. In such a situation to disable just depress the brake.

Cruise is switched off when you switch off the car.
Thanks. I knew that, my question is that the cruise off button is literally waste, since it does not switch of the cruise function completely, on the run. You need to switch off the engine to completely disarm the cruise function.
Old 5th March 2013, 16:34   #4123
BHPian

Quote:
Is was the DIS display but i have cross checked my DIS shown average with tank full method a couple of times earlier and it was pretty much accurate so i can rely on those results. and the average shown on DIS was above 16 kmpl so i assumed the actual average to be around 16 kmpl atleast.
You are lucky Magikrider. I have got a difference ranging from 0.3 to 2.1 with DIS having a distinctly upward bias. In fact this was discussed a while back on this thread with some others reporting what I have.

Quote:
Thanks. I knew that, my question is that the cruise off button is literally waste, since it does not switch of the cruise function completely, on the run. You need to switch off the engine to completely disarm the cruise function.
Vasuki, there's one other thing that strikes me, which is that when you press the Cruise Off button, it may not have made the contact. This happened to me with the Cruise set button, when I had pressed it but the speed started to drop as I took my foot off the accelerator, indicating that the cruise had'nt engaged. Pressing it a second time worked. You can easily check if this is the issue with your cruise off button. Good Luck.

I can now say that after 8 weeks, the NEW CAR smell from my car is gone

Last edited by Heavy Horse : 5th March 2013 at 16:47.
Old 5th March 2013, 16:52   #4124
BHPian

Quote:

You are lucky Magikrider. I have got a difference ranging from 0.3 to 1.5 with DIS having a distinctly upward bias. In fact this was discussed a while back on this thread with some others reporting what I have.
Getting a difference ranging from 0.2 to 0.5 is normal i guess. I too had got the difference of around 0.2 - 0.3 i think. But anything more than 0.5 definitely needs to get checked & rectified at the service centre. You should complain about it to your RM during your first free service.
Old 5th March 2013, 17:11   #4125
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 'Cruise Off' button does exactly that. Stupid statement, but true.

A press on that button gets you off the 'cruise mode' completely and 'resume' or "+" or "-" should not work after that.

While you are in the cruise mode with cruise engaged, if you touch the brake or the clutch, the cruise is disengaged, but you still remain in the cruise mode. In this case, if you press the 'resume', the vehicle would try to go back to the previous set cruise speed.

After the cruise is disengaged by a tap on clutch/brake, there is a time-limit after which the vehicle automatically comes off from the cruise-mode. This is assuming that you are not trying to resume cruise in that time period.

Hope this helps.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks