Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 00:47   #4021
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Back in Bangalore after my trip to Goa on my cheetah. Overall I was satisfied by the way the car behaved. It also completed the 10000kms during the trip.

Some observations during the trip

- Suspension was really good. No sounds or thuds. Something was done during the last running repair. Believe it could be the new bushes someone had mentioned earlier. The suspension is still good after the 1500km trip.

- Gear shift was butter smooth

- Power steering was a tad tight and I could feel some strain by the end of the journey. But lot better than the initial months. Not sure if I still have this feeling because of driving a car with EPS for last 8 yrs.

- Wheel alignment was done. But still I felt a very slight veering. Maybe trying to keep the vehicle straight was the result of the strain on the arm

-Brakes : Now this is one area that still needs attention. I have replaced with the new brake pads before the journey. The grinding noise is totally gone, but cant say the same about the stopping power. There were multiple times during the trip when I had to apply sudden brakes to avoid jumping some humps. Even at normal cruising speeds of 100-120kms the car would not stop as expected. I would recommend all new owners to get used to the brakes and stopping power before attempting any high speed drives.

- Low beam throw is better after some refocussing during the second service.

- Navigation was great . It was the first time I did a trip depending solely on this map and not using the google maps on my phone. Wifey commented I have started becoming an expert in using it after seeing the way I was configuring it throughout the trip

- Cruise control : Something I missed out as the cruise control was not working post the second service and the service engineers could not figure out the issue. The roads were damn good and I was constantly doing 120-140kms for long stretches and wished it was working. :(

Really looking forward to the next trip with my cheetah.

FundaG
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-2013020809.35.59.jpg  

fundagenie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 14:34   #4022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
I disagree strongly with raj - the ARIA rides like no other SUV in this class does. Comparing the XUV to the scorpio or the Xylo or the Sumo or safari is understood, all exhibit the "boat on rough seas" property, and to an extent, the XUV as well. The ARIA rides taut, planted and stable, yet, as said previously, in-comparable to the sedan class. Take a long drive in it, and then comment is my suggestion, do not follow the herd here.
I have driven long distances in the Aria as my uncle owns one...

Compared to the XUV, the Aria does have a much better ride quality but I do feel the XUV has better handling. Also, I did feel the Aria roll more around the corners than the XUV... of course, not as much as the Safari or Scorpio.

I cannot really compare the Aria's handling to any sedans. I can confidently and safely take sharp bends at 80 kmph in a Fiesta or a Linea. Not in the Aria. Like any crossover with high C.O.G., it simply rolls and understeers.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 14:43   #4023
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
-Brakes : Now this is one area that still needs attention. I have replaced with the new brake pads before the journey. The grinding noise is totally gone, but cant say the same about the stopping power. There were multiple times during the trip when I had to apply sudden brakes to avoid jumping some humps. Even at normal cruising speeds of 100-120kms the car would not stop as expected. I would recommend all new owners to get used to the brakes and stopping power before attempting any high speed drives.
The normal rule of thumb is that you do not indulge in any heavy braking till the new pads set in after a replacement. I am surprised the service guys didnt tell you this! During this period, the brakes would be a tad weaker.
Old 13th February 2013, 15:22   #4024
BHPian

Quote:
I have replaced with the new brake pads before the journey.
FundaG
How much did they cost?
Old 13th February 2013, 15:23   #4025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The normal rule of thumb is that you do not indulge in any heavy braking till the new pads set in after a replacement. I am surprised the service guys didnt tell you this! During this period, the brakes would be a tad weaker.
The new pads were replace almost 3 weeks back before the journey and had undergone some amount of braking for say 200-300kms prior to the trip. Also it was more of emergency braking and I assume 500kms is fairly good enough for the brake pads to set.

FundaG
Old 13th February 2013, 15:26   #4026
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
The new pads were replace almost 3 weeks back before the journey and had undergone some amount of braking for say 200-300kms prior to the trip. Also it was more of emergency braking and I assume 500kms is fairly good enough for the brake pads to set.

FundaG
In that case, it should ideally be fine, but i still feel it would take some more time before the ideal braking is observed. I have observed the same as well. Do let us know if it improves with time.
Old 13th February 2013, 19:33   #4027
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit_relan View Post
I agree...I went to tata showroom on 9th Feb to have a look at Storme. Though it does not look as beautiful as previous safari but it still lacks...the features inside. The Tata guys are still high headed and they think they do not need features to sell their car. They said its a SUV and features are not given in SUV...I was surprised when he commented that features are only for Sedans so vehicles like XUV should not be compared to Storme. I think Tata Storme guys feel that we all stay on Himalayas wherein we keep doing offroading. First the product is not great and feature laden (The Aria has flopped badly and I am sure Storme will flop soon as well if they do not come with features at the price what public expects) and secondly their high headedness.
Pl read the posts by XUV owners here and you will realize that the "features" are only to pull in folk to the showroom and to sign on the dotted line. The cruise-control not working, suspension noises, brake pad replacements, etc the list seems to be as long as the XUV itself.

Is it not the same mistake that TATA did with the first Indica ? Use the gullible Indian public as a test bed ? Mahindra is doing just that ! (and we all praise their A.S.S and the senior management support !) Gosh - read between the lines -- Mahindra is doing what most do, except that they have learnt when to pull your fingers out.

IMHO, voice activated controls, cruise control, micro hybrid, tyre pressure monitoring, auto wipers / headlamps, touch screen controls, etc are "features" only to add to the brochure list, worthless otherwise, especially in Mahindra. The probability of them going kaput is quite high and they are unreliable. Better to stick to the 2nd or 3rd model from the bottom , is my mantra.

Looks like you met the most disgruntled sales chap in the TATA showroom - I don't think that's the norm with TATA or Mahindra for that matter. Can you specify what features you are looking for ? The Storme VX does pack in a lot of punch - and yes, it's a REAL SUV, not a "me too" SUV like the XUV (read monocoque).

For the record - it was the ARIA that introduced "features" like auto headlamps / wipers, all discs, 6 airbags, SATNAV, Cruise control, ESP (that the XUV still does not have) amongst others. It does not sell beceause of "percieved" high price - drop the price and I'm sure it will start selling. As far as reliability goes, pl read the long termer report of Autocar in this regard.
http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...rd-report.aspx

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2013 at 14:40. Reason: Do NOT use derogatory terms when referring to owners of a particular vehicle.
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 20:34   #4028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Got info from pune dealer today that all 2013 models are already updated with all niggle problems including breaks / info system and what not.

So all the 2013 models are without any problems ( and justifiable for price increase of 20k )

Can any owner in 2013 comment?
My 2013 manufactured vehicle has run 500 odd km and I can declare that the brakes are a big surprise to me, in a positive way. The brakes are unlike the ones in the past. So far so good.

The infotainment system is again niggle free for the last 500km.

Is the vehicle niggle free so far ? Yes it is. Will it be a niggle free vehicle ? Let's see how things 'shape up'.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 21:40   #4029
BHPian

Quote:

IMHO, voice activated controls, cruise control, micro hybrid, tyre pressure monitoring, auto wipers / headlamps, touch screen controls, etc are "features" only to add to the brochure list, worthless otherwise, especially in Mahindra. The probability of them going kaput is quite high and they are unreliable. Better to stick to the 2nd or 3rd model from the bottom , is my mantra.
As an XUV owner, I've two words for you- completely disagree.

Quote:
Looks like you met the most disgruntled sales chap in the TATA showroom - I don't think that's the norm with TATA or Mahindra for that matter.
I've owned a tata, a maruti, a ford and a mahindra in the last 7 years. Mahindra has the best customer service I've seen among these 4. Both sales and after sales. They make you really feel customer is king. Tata customer service was the worst in my experience.

To give an example, about 5-6 years back I went to Concorde motors to ask for a TD of the then new Safari Dicor. There was no TD given at the showroom and after that they didn't call me either.
Now, Sireesh auto gave me 2 test drives on Scorpio and 3 on XUV before I booked it.
When I went to renew insurance, I saw a shiny new Rexton parked outside and told my SA - look, I'm not gonna buy that. But I want a TD. He says, no problem sir! Here is the key..

Quote:

The Storme VX does pack in a lot of punch - and yes, it's a REAL SUV, not a "me too" SUV like the XUV
'Real SUV' is just a marketing term. All vehicles evolve over time. Monocoque is the way forward. Just see the new Range Rover spec and see what kind of chasis it is.
tachobells is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 22:06   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
For the record - it was the ARIA that introduced "features" like auto headlamps / wipers, all discs, 6 airbags, SATNAV, Cruise control, ESP (that the XUV still does not have) amongst others.
I don't know where you got the info? XUV does have all things mentioned above. Also ESP

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2013 at 14:41. Reason: Derogatory term from quoted post removed
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 22:23   #4031
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkumar79 View Post
How much did they cost?
Should be free of cost as the vehicle is still under warranty and brake-pad design issue is well-known.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
On a separate note, this thread is again going in the "XUV v/s Storme" direction. Earlier we have seen "XUV v/s Duster", "XUV v/s Fortuner" and even "M&M v/s Tata" posts as well.

Guys, whatever you fancy, go ahead and buy it. There is no need to get into XUV bashing or Storme bashing or for that matter bashing anything.
Old 13th February 2013, 22:55   #4032
BHPian

Quote:
... The cruise-control not working, suspension noises, brake pad replacements, etc the list seems to be as long as the XUV itself.

IMHO, voice activated controls, cruise control, micro hybrid, tyre pressure monitoring, auto wipers / headlamps, touch screen controls, etc are "features" only to add to the brochure list, worthless otherwise, especially in Mahindra. The probability of them going kaput is quite high and they are unreliable. The Storme VX does pack in a lot of punch - and yes, it's a REAL SUV, not a "me too" SUV like the XUV (read monocoque).

For the record - it was the ARIA that introduced "features" like auto headlamps / wipers, all discs, 6 airbags, SATNAV, Cruise control, ESP (that the XUV still does not have) amongst others. It does not sell beceause of "percieved" high price - drop the price and I'm sure it will start selling.
Completely disagree with the above points - and overall, from the tone of the whole message...seems like a classic case of "sour grapes" ?? Buddy - did you end up buying the Storme...and are regretting it now?
Old 14th February 2013, 15:54   #4033
BHPian

Quote:
Is it not the same mistake that TATA did with the first Indica ? Use the gullible Indian public as a test bed ? Mahindra is doing just that ! (and we all praise their A.S.S and the senior management support !) Gosh - read between the lines -- Mahindra is doing what most do, except that they have learnt when to pull your fingers out.

Looks like you met the most disgruntled sales chap in the TATA showroom - I don't think that's the norm with TATA or Mahindra for that matter. Can you specify what features you are looking for ? The Storme VX does pack in a lot of punch - and yes, it's a REAL SUV, not a "me too" SUV like the XUV (read monocoque).

For the record - it was the ARIA that introduced "features" like auto headlamps / wipers, all discs, 6 airbags, SATNAV, Cruise control, ESP (that the XUV still does not have) amongst others. It does not sell beceause of "percieved" high price - drop the price and I'm sure it will start selling. As far as reliability goes, pl read the long termer report of Autocar in this regard.
http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...rd-report.aspx

Some Aria ownership threads for reference. Pls note this is not meant to bash Aria or Tata products.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...a-product.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ownership.html

This could be the reason why these so-called folk fell for XUV and not for Aria which came first with all these feature list.
Tata had tried cutting down the prices of Aria and still the numbers seen on the road are very very less. Again with more XUV owners around, the number and type of niggles posted here would be higher than the Aria.

My car is the only one out here that is facing the cruise control issue and as far as I understand it is not a manufacturing defect, but something that cropped up post the 2nd service. And hence fingers should be pointed at the service centre and not Mahindra.

Finally, for me a REAL SUV would be a Jeep or Pajero or Land Crusier and definitely not the Safari or the XUV for that matter.

FundaG

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2013 at 14:42. Reason: Quoted post edited
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 16:38   #4034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Should be free of cost as the vehicle is still under warranty and brake-pad design issue is well-known.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
On a separate note, this thread is again going in the "XUV v/s Storme" direction. Earlier we have seen "XUV v/s Duster", "XUV v/s Fortuner" and even "M&M v/s Tata" posts as well.

Guys, whatever you fancy, go ahead and buy it. There is no need to get into XUV bashing or Storme bashing or for that matter bashing anything.
Can't agree more. We all make informed choices and a car is bought after much deliberation, not a consequence of a hangover-maraud. Do your homework and go for the purchase. No bitch-slapping.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 17:28   #4035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pl read the posts by XUV owners here and you will realize that the "features" are only to pull in folk to the showroom and to sign on the dotted line. The cruise-control not working, suspension noises, brake pad replacements, etc the list seems to be as long as the XUV itself.

For the record - it was the ARIA that introduced "features" like auto headlamps / wipers, all discs, 6 airbags, SATNAV, Cruise control, ESP (that the XUV still does not have) amongst others. It does not sell beceause of "percieved" high price - drop the price and I'm sure it will start selling.
I guess your take on the features is pretty strong, even though they add little core value to driving but still these gizmos do allow some feel good factor.

Well I think you got it wrong with the featues introduced in the Aria, for your information Auto headlamps, wipers and cruise control, plus audio warnings, etc. feature in the Scorpio since 2006-7 (I own a Sep 2007 model with all these) when Aria would have been on the drawing board.

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2013 at 14:42. Reason: Quoted post edited
m_upreti is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks