Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 12:04   #4516
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Is there something about the XUV's wiring that attracts rats to it? Is it especially tasty or is my SA just giving me the spin when Mahindra's electronics go kaput.

Ever since I sent the car for service, I've been having random issues, such as the Reverse sensors coming on while driving, the TPMS, and the Hill Hold lights coming on.

Now this. On the previous occasions, turning it off and on usually solved the warning light issues. Now, these lights aren't going off. The airbag warning light however has gone. Makes me worry about the possibility of the airbags randomly inflating or something. Am I at risk driving the car with these lights on?
djpeesh, just posted a exact similar image in niggles thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3158117

Did the service center guys show you chewed wires which caused this problem?
Old 24th June 2013, 12:16   #4517
BHPian

Hey SDP.
I'm sending the car to the service station (for the fourth time since it came back from the 1st service) on wednesday. And be careful, I tried hard braking on a wet road (devoid of traffic at 5 am) and the car did skid, so the ABS isn't working.

Cheers,

DJPeesh
Old 24th June 2013, 13:30   #4518
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey SDP.
I'm sending the car to the service station (for the fourth time since it came back from the 1st service) on wednesday. And be careful, I tried hard braking on a wet road (devoid of traffic at 5 am) and the car did skid, so the ABS isn't working.

Cheers,

DJPeesh
I am pretty sure the ABS is not working and so is the ESP. Without those 2, the XUV is a angry bull - one won't know what it would do. I am being a bit extra careful since Saturday.

With 4 lights coming up, each one somehow associated with brakes, I was quite scared initially. There is a core functionality - you press the brake pedal and vehicle speed reduces - and then there is advanced functionality (ABS+EBD and ESP), and then there's the fancy stuff (HHC, HDC). The fancy stuff anyways does not matter, it is more of a talking point when you are boasting about your vehicle. The advanced functionality was safety related, triggered when the vehicle is operated beyond its limits or something really unexpected happens. So, ideally I wanted it to work when I started the 1000km journey over the weekend. The core function is what I had to be 100% sure about. When the lights came up, I wasn't sure what all is really impacted. With my sister giving me a curious look, I tapped on the brake a few times to check if the basic brakes are working fine and luckily they were.

Anyways, do let us know what does the service-center guys say as the cause of the problem.

Last edited by SDP : 24th June 2013 at 13:34.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 13:42   #4519
BHPian

[quote=SDP;3158254

Anyways, do let us know what does the service-center guys say as the cause of the problem.[/quote]

Service center fellows working on it at the moment. They said the front left wheel sensor was cut, which caused errors in the ecu and thereby caused the other lights to trip. Still doesn't explain anything and I had to go back up to my office to finish up some work. Last I heard they were messing about with some insulation tape. Let's see what they come up with.

Cheers,
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 14:43   #4520
BHPian

They patched up the wire to the sensor with insulation tape. Apparently, the entire wiring harness will need to be replaced if you need a proper, non jugaad fix. And it's not under warranty.

Oof. Never had these issues with the safari or the getz. Mahindra and it's tasty wires.

Let's see if this issue or the rats come back.
Old 24th June 2013, 15:05   #4521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They patched up the wire to the sensor with insulation tape. Apparently, the entire wiring harness will need to be replaced if you need a proper, non jugaad fix. And it's not under warranty.

Oof. Never had these issues with the safari or the getz. Mahindra and it's tasty wires.

Let's see if this issue or the rats come back.
Try raw tobacco. You get them at general stores. I had the problem of rats in my i20 too. So i purchased some 7 packets of raw tobacco and placed them inside the bonnet at various locations . Just ensure that you place them in some place where they wont fall off . Also puncture/open the pack so that the smell spreads all around the bonnet. This will ward off the rats.

Simultaneously, keep mortein rat kill cakes under the car for 1 full week. Keep 2-3 cakes daily. The rodents require higher dosage to kill them. Continue to keep the cakes until you see that the cakes are not eaten even after 3 consecutive days. This will ensure that they wont come back,atleast for some months. Then repeat the process.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 08:41   #4522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
The first bday of my beast is coming up in 1.5 months. And also the time to renew the insurance.
Advance birthday bumps to your car.

Quote:
My previous insurance was with Royal Sundaram. And took it from the dealer TVS. Am planning to change it as I came to understand that "nothing to be paid from your pocket for a claim" is effective only within Kerala.

Any good sites where I can compare the quotes.

FundaG
Check out policybazaar.com. I had very good experience renewing my car insurance from them last year. I filled in the details on their website. Their person then called me up & asked me to check the HDFC Ergo quote that he had created on the site (there were a couple of other quotes as well). Did a couple of permutations/combinations, asked him several bugging questions. He was very patient, answered to most of my queries. Then I went for online payment through Policy Bazaar & he was there with me till the end guiding me. Overall a very hasslefree experience.
Old 29th June 2013, 13:25   #4523
BHPian

XUV5OO W6 Ordeal.

My friend has a Silver XUV5OO W6, He has covered more than 72000 Km, and here the ordeal starts:

Brake squeaking and improper braking.

Steering gets super light in the expressway.

What to do guys? Is there any solutions to this?

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 29th June 2013, 13:42   #4524
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: XUV5OO W6 Ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
My friend has a Silver XUV5OO W6, He has covered more than 72000 Km, and here the ordeal starts:
72,000kms! That's quite a lot for a car which is less than 2 years old.

Quote:
Brake squeaking and improper braking.
What month and year was the car manufactured? There are better pads and brake-pedal available. He needs to complain about the braking efficiency and ask for pads+pedal replacement.

Quote:
Steering gets super light in the expressway.
That's a new one. At what speed? Most of us have driven at 120+ regularly on highways and some of us hear the 'ting-ting' sound as well regularly. But nobody has complained about light steering. Please share slightly more details.

PS: Please use the niggles thread for reporting issues

Last edited by SDP : 29th June 2013 at 13:46.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 13:49   #4525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
72,000kms! That's quite a lot for a car which is less than 2 years old.

What month and year was the car manufactured? There are better pads and brake-pedal available. He needs to complain about the braking efficiency and ask for pads+pedal replacement.

That's a new one. At what speed? Most of us have driven at 120+ regularly on highways and some of us hear the 'ting-ting' sound as well regularly. But nobody has complained about light steering. Please share slighltly more details.
Thanks. He bought it last Feb. He goes on a lot of excursions, off roading(not so serious). He gets this issue at speeds more than 100. Don't know about that ting-ting sound. Will check it and tell. Brakes don't catch up that well at high speeds, will tell him to replace that.
It's MFD is if I remember 2011 December.
Thanks for your valuable help!

Cheers,

Achyuth

Last edited by Achyuth Vaibhav : 29th June 2013 at 13:53.
Old 29th June 2013, 14:41   #4526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
Thanks. He bought it last Feb. He goes on a lot of excursions, off roading(not so serious).
I am not flaming you Achyuth, but to me the "ordeal" seems pretty minimal considering the fact that the vehicle covers almost 5000 kms per month including excursions and light off-roading.

One tough vehicle, that one. Please convey him my greetings -laced with a twist of jealousy.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 29th June 2013 at 14:43.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 15:41   #4527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I am not flaming you Achyuth, but to me the "ordeal" seems pretty minimal considering the fact that the vehicle covers almost 5000 kms per month including excursions and light off-roading.

One tough vehicle, that one. Please convey him my greetings -laced with a twist of jealousy.
Haha, that's what you expect but the steering prob is still not that associated with the kind of travelling he does. Must seriously look into that. Happy that me and my friend are associated with the same good dealer (Jain Cars) so we are lucky to have escaped from the inexperienced Mahindra dealers. Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers,

Achyuth

Last edited by Achyuth Vaibhav : 29th June 2013 at 15:42.
Old 2nd July 2013, 08:37   #4528
BHPian

Hi Guys - have been off the radar for a bit. Will share my experiences on the xuv separately. Need some quick input - How do we fill air in the spare tire of the XUV? The TPMS is showing a warning of low pressure in the spare tire. When i went to the local tyre mechanic, he told me that the only way to fill this is to remove the spare tyre, which was going to be tedious. Anyone knows of a better approach?

btw - i am very happy with my XUV so far (touch wood)..
Old 2nd July 2013, 08:46   #4529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
Hi Guys - have been off the radar for a bit. Will share my experiences on the xuv separately. Need some quick input - How do we fill air in the spare tire of the XUV? The TPMS is showing a warning of low pressure in the spare tire. When i went to the local tyre mechanic, he told me that the only way to fill this is to remove the spare tyre, which was going to be tedious. Anyone knows of a better approach?

btw - i am very happy with my XUV so far (touch wood)..
Wishing you many many happy years with your XUV.

Filling up the spare tyre is extremely easy. Just got it done a few days back. Unscrew the plastic top, insert the spanner and twist the nut anti-clockwise. You can see the procedure laid out in the manual under tyre replacement. As you unscrew the nut, the spare tyre will slowly come down and you can see the winch that's holding it in place. Lower it all the way to the ground, fill up the air and winch it back up by turning the nut clockwise. That's it, you are done !!
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:21   #4530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
Wishing you many many happy years with your XUV.

Filling up the spare tyre is extremely easy. Just got it done a few days back. Unscrew the plastic top, insert the spanner and twist the nut anti-clockwise. You can see the procedure laid out in the manual under tyre replacement. As you unscrew the nut, the spare tyre will slowly come down and you can see the winch that's holding it in place. Lower it all the way to the ground, fill up the air and winch it back up by turning the nut clockwise. That's it, you are done !!
Thanks Heavy Horse. Will try and check this out later today or tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks