Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2014, 09:16   #6016
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchan View Post
Thanks Ravi sir. I know this place, will go and check it out.

BTW, did you buy your's from here? Any idea on the cost?

I have been to this shop and checked it out, the mats are higher in quality than any i have seen so far both online and shops. This was sometime back and i don't remember the exact price but it was somewhere in the range of 6-8 K. Please post back if you get the exact price.
gurudutt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 09:52   #6017
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
1) While downshifting to 1st gear, specially when you are in some speed and anticipate that you will have to slow down and downshift to 1st, there is a sudden jolt in the gear box sometimes and perhaps the vehicle itself shudders a bit, this is worrying me a bit. I can't reproduce it when the speed is right to shift to the 1st gear.
First gear is used only for starting off from stand still, for everything else 2nd gear is good enough. This IMO applies to all cars. Atleast it does applies on all the ones i have driven, till date.
Old 15th May 2014, 10:06   #6018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guess you are "forcefully" downshifting when there is NO need. You should downshift to 1st ONLY when you are close to 0 kmph, otherwise a second gear would do just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
First gear is used only for starting off from stand still, for everything else 2nd gear is good enough. This IMO applies to all cars. Atleast it does applies on all the ones i have driven, till date.
Guys, may be i was not able to put it across well in the first place. I don't try to downshift to 1st unnecessarily, but i do have to shift to 1st gear, say while approaching a junction where i have to come to a halt to make sure there are no vehicles coming from other directions. The only difference may be, some people may downshift after they have come to a standstill, i do it when i have started to apply the brakes in parallel. BTW, have been doing this since i started driving but haven't noticed the issue i reported in 4 other cars i have owned.
Old 15th May 2014, 10:46   #6019
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchan View Post
Any idea on the cost?
The mats cost ₹ 7,950 in December 2013. But, I bought them at Chennai. The details are here.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 15th May 2014 at 10:47.
  (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 11:02   #6020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been to this shop and checked it out, the mats are higher in quality than any i have seen so far both online and shops. This was sometime back and i don't remember the exact price but it was somewhere in the range of 6-8 K. Please post back if you get the exact price.
Check this out, 3D Kagu Spider Mats
Old 15th May 2014, 12:14   #6021
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, may be i was not able to put it across well in the first place. I don't try to downshift to 1st unnecessarily, but i do have to shift to 1st gear, say while approaching a junction where i have to come to a halt to make sure there are no vehicles coming from other directions. The only difference may be, some people may downshift after they have come to a standstill, i do it when i have started to apply the brakes in parallel. BTW, have been doing this since i started driving but haven't noticed the issue i reported in 4 other cars i have owned.
guru, in such a situation will it not be better to reach neutral stop the vehicle and then go to 1st? In case you want to move at a slower speed second would be better I suppose.
Old 15th May 2014, 12:37   #6022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
guru, in such a situation will it not be better to reach neutral stop the vehicle and then go to 1st? In case you want to move at a slower speed second would be better I suppose.
I have heard the other way around, which is to use engine braking while decelerating by shifting to first gear, car moving in neutral is not such a good idea is what i thought. Anyhow, since this thread is not about driving techniques, i would want to restrict the discussion to the issue i faced, i agree i can try alternate ways of downshifting, but the bottom line is, it should not lead to the issue am facing currently.
Old 15th May 2014, 20:20   #6023
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
MapMyIndia has released version 9.0 maps. My XUV500 has version 8.0 maps. I will contact India Garage tomorrow and enquire about it.
I called my RM today. He was not aware of version 9.0 maps; but, he assured me that he would inform me, when the new version is available for updating.

Old 15th May 2014, 20:35   #6024
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have heard the other way around, which is to use engine braking while decelerating by shifting to first gear, car moving in neutral is not such a good idea is what i thought. Anyhow, since this thread is not about driving techniques, i would want to restrict the discussion to the issue i faced, i agree i can try alternate ways of downshifting, but the bottom line is, it should not lead to the issue am facing currently.
Let me put this in another way. From a standstill, put in the first gear and start accelerating. Dont upshift. See how long you can withstand the shrill protest of the engine. Basically, the first gearing is extremely short and is only meant for a move on. Generally, I shift to the second gear the moment I have started moving.

Now, similarly while stopping, unless you are at 15 kmph or below, do not try to engage 1st gear. It will protest. You are at too high a speed probably.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 00:08   #6025
BHPian

Sent my car for its third free service. The bill was 6067 rupees, for a new oik filter, air filter, gearbox oil and engine oil.

Also the front brake pads and the rear suspension bushings were changed under warranty. The doors were also realigned although I thought they were fine. The car came back at 8 pm so haven't yet taken her for a spin. Let's see how she drives tomorrow
Old 16th May 2014, 00:12   #6026
BHPian

Planning to get the remaining share of my accessories tomorrow.

For the side step, I do not like the OEM design. I was doing a lot of internet research and came across this GoldSun manufactured ABS sidestep. Has any of you gotten this installed in your xuv or for any other car? This looks good for a black truck doesnt it?

http://www.goldsun.in/carproducts.php?car=27&cat=10

Second thing which I am planning to buy is a car cover. I have went through the threads and figured that Polco is a brand which people have been satisfied with. I could also buy the OEM cover which is coming for around 1550. The need is that my car stays outdoor in an open parking, without moving for 3-4 days a week.

My question is that do side cover cause scratches? or is it worth the scratches considering the time the car is parked outside. Is there any better variety of car cover which you guys have come across?

Carvoyeur
Old 16th May 2014, 06:02   #6027
BHPian

Guys,

My XUV is up for first service. I need some advice on must do stuff especially the oil changes bit. Also any specific thing that I should get done. As of now i have no major issues except the washer of wipers not working and occasional irritating noice from the dials flap cover.

Await your advice..
Old 16th May 2014, 14:56   #6028
BHPian

Folks,

Anyone here got any experience with Geolander tyres? I am liking the features and wondering if it would be a good fit for the XUV.

Additionally, what size are the stock tyres on the XUV?!
Old 16th May 2014, 18:49   #6029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevester View Post
Folks,

Anyone here got any experience with Geolander tyres? I am liking the features and wondering if it would be a good fit for the XUV.

Additionally, what size are the stock tyres on the XUV?!
235/65/17. Geolander have had issues with weak sidewalls. Many people reported it in tyres thread.
Old 18th May 2014, 09:48   #6030
BHPian

Quote:

4) Also, am noticing some squeaking and vibration from the speedometer console. Is this expected and something i have to live with or can i get it fixed by the service center guys?

Hi Gurudutt

I faced the same problem in my W6, the rattle from the speedo console appeared out of nowhere after the first service. My beast has now done 6000 kms and it had no niggles until this happened. The rattle happens sporadically, but it is enough to annoy me no end, especially on bad urban roads. What I did was to stuff some wads between the console roof and the base unit. That seems to have done the trick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks