Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2014, 20:26   #6151

Re: Mahindra XUV500 W4 - MODIFICATIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
No worries. Was not offended at all. Not that insecure.

Unfortunately thats the wide-spread misconception. Let me list out what all works and what all is prone to failure:
From the prone-to-failure list, please check what all is present in W4.
Thanks SDP for your elaborate description.
Although now i am even more petrified now on the mechanical flaws which M&M claims to have been addressed recently(i.e The XUV 500 V2).
Are any of these listed mechanical flaws reiterated thereafter??? i mean on the V2 vehicles???
Old 24th June 2014, 20:55   #6152
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Extended warranty packages are being launched
Thanks SDP for the information. Any additional details available? I guess it is not launched officially yet, not able to find any information in their website or FB page.
Old 24th June 2014, 20:59   #6153
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Thanks SDP for the information. Any additional details available? I guess it is not launched officially yet, not able to find any information in their website or FB page.
My RM called me for this, so the info has definitely reached the dealerships.
I had the brake-pads-worn-out error that I am getting on my mind and missed asking for details.

A friend and a fellow XUV-owner from FB mentioned that its 23K for 2 years. Unverified information, so you might want to call a dealer for confirmation.
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 22:11   #6154
Senior - BHPian

A grey XUV 5OO W8 came into our family about a month ago. It's a company car, but I do get to drive it from time to time. Did a long highway run (500+ kms) within a week of it being bought. Some quick initial reactions:
  • Lovely highway cruiser, very comfortable to drive and to sit in. 3rd row wasn't used, so there was more than enough place for our luggage
  • Very nimble and easy to maneuver around town.
  • Great engine - pulls well on the highway and oodles of low end torque and not-so-prominent turbo lag make it nice to drive in the city as well
  • Ride can be a bit bumpy on bad roads, suspension is a little on the stiffer side. But not too bouncy and boat-like (ala the Scorpio). Front seats are the best places to sit in this car.
  • Plastics aren't as bad as some feedback had led me to believe. Not in the league of the Europeans/Japs/Koreans, but still, not too bad
  • Touch screen infotainment system isn't that intuitive and it's quite a pain to reach out and touch a button while on the go. Steering controls don't change radio channels quite shockingly (just seeks up/down and on long press, searches for the next channel). A bit confusing and user unfriendly really. Stock ICE sounds decent though.
  • Navigation - maps work ok in pretty remote locations (tried this in rural Bengal and the WB/JH border - most roads showed up, though the screen went white went we went into some side roads). Does tend to get "stuck" sometimes - would expect the current location to pop up automatically but this doesn't happen always. Need to explore it more
  • Ergonomics are good and there are lots of storage spaces
  • Some features that I personally have no use for, but the wifey liked - disco/ambient lighting(!!), vanity mirror with automatic lighting
  • Conversation mirror is a neat feature when you have a kid in the backseat to keep an eye on
  • Puddle lamps, follow-me-home lights, auto-folding ORVMs are really useful features

Niggles:
- A screeching sound is heard while turning the steering hard to the right. Any idea what this may be?
- Some minor plastic squeak from behind the instrument cluster

Overall, so far so good. It's not perfect, but it gives you a go-anywhere ability in a spacious, comfortable package and throws in a bagful of creature comforts. Reliability will be proven over the long run... fingers crossed.

Accessories added (from the M&M showroom itself) - side steps, chrome strip above rear number plate, front grill chrome strip, "deziner" floor mats, tints, body cover, teflon coating (FOC)

Some pics of the XUV taken during the road trip...
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_7918_sm.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_7879_sm.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-img_7849_sm.jpg  

Last edited by razor4077 : 24th June 2014 at 22:13.
razor4077 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 00:25   #6155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had the brake-pads-worn-out error that I am getting on my mind and missed asking for details.

A friend and a fellow XUV-owner from FB mentioned that its 23K for 2 years. Unverified information, so you might want to call a dealer for confirmation.
If that's true Sanjay then its good news for us guys. I am out so cant check with my RM but if you get any other confirmed info on this then request you to please put this here for us.
Old 25th June 2014, 02:25   #6156
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 W4 - MODIFICATIONS

Quote:
Unfortunately thats the wide-spread misconception. Let me list out what all works and what all is prone to failure:

Hope you see the trend. The gizmos seem to be working fine, but there are doubts about some key mechanical parts.

As a owner, I would worry about a clutch failure significantly more than a TPMS failure.

From the prone-to-failure list, please check what all is present in W4.
SDP is absolutely correct. Usage of the gizmos is a personal choice. And I personally have used all of them except for Auto-headlamp (because it turns on the headlamps quiet early during the afternoon), Auto-rain wipers (not raining yet), and Voice Assist. They all work, but are the least used.

Cruise control work flawlessly. It has so far never given me any issues, and has made long journeys a pleasure.

Navigation works pretty well. Yes a person has to get used to it, but once you do it is amazing. Store all your personal locations you visit into favorites and you are set. Never had any issues. Yes a person can use his phone for that, but these days most phones get hot with continuous usage, and it all depends on network coverage and data access. Built-in-navigation take care of there nuisances.

Bluetooth integration with phone is a great future, not only for phone calls or music. But also because the Blue Sense App for Android is very useful, provides a quick access to controls when you are sitting behind and do not want to disturb the driver to pass you the remote or check the fuel.

Hill hold and hill decent have been quiet useful as well. I have used them on every single trip. It has never given any issues so far (Knock on wood). In a bumper to bumper traffic on an incline it gives you confidence that you wont roll back into a car that happens to have stopped inches behind you. Hill decent helps you control a decline without too much user input, giving you better control of the car.

Auto-Bending headlamps are also quiet useful. At night when turning into dark alleys it allows for a quick glance before a full turn is made and on inclines/declines around blind spots provides better visibility.

Start-Stop function also works. But as mentioned in the manual and in previous posts there are certain requirements that need to be met for it to function. Its not that it malfunctions, but has safety regulations in place to prevent unnecessary battery drainage (Its a feature). I use it and I like it.

All the lighting in the car give it a very luxurious ambiance. Lounge Lighting during night is very very useful, At night you can barely see the door handles inside, I have had people feeling the whole door trying to grab the handle to open the door. Lounge lighting on the inside being turned on in the night make the process simple and easy for passengers to unlock the door and get out. Puddle lamp, reading lamps, lead me home light, etc all work and are useful considering the street lights are not there at all locations you visit.

W4 W6 W8 or AWD
all comes down to personal preference. If you have the money and you like the extra options then better to get them stock, because adding them extra on a base variant will cost you, not to mention any wrong doing can void warranty.

Mahindra has done a great job with the vehicle. It has corrected almost all the issues customers have faced, from giving additional warranty to full replacement of parts (including wear and tear parts), and is proactive in helping its customers. Just search the threads on team-bhp forum.

And in all honesty once you get used to these gizmos you will not like to go back to anything basic.
falconion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 09:49   #6157
Team-BHP Support

I don't think we need to justify our choices to someone who has already made one & wants comments approving his.

To each his own..

Though, in all honesty, don't think the post was positive & in the spirit of Team BHP and its camaraderie.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th June 2014 at 10:12.
Old 25th June 2014, 10:16   #6158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjp View Post
Hi everyone,
I am deliberately starting this thread
I challenge all the W8/W6 owners to list these so called gizmos on their variants which are being used on drive for 80% of the time.
NOW even if you cry out loud about using this feature i wont believe you.
The only thing holding me back is the almighty vitamin M.
Regards to everyone,
Uday
Like SDP, I have summarized the entire post in these lines. Please understand that you don't have to justify your buying decision in front of all the people of the forum. The underlined sentence gives an insight into the post. Each buyer has his/her justification on buying a particular vehicle or variant. The key is to respect the decision. For example, there are people who bought the Premier Rio in this forum and if they are happy with the vehicle, who are others to question the decision? I have an XUV 500 W8 AWD and it was my decision to go for it. I have my justification for that, but I don't want to get the support of the entire forum, by ridiculing the lower variants.

Quote:
Just quoting the part which made any sense.
On another serious note, the W4 does not have side & curtain air-bags and also does not have ESP. So go easy on those turns and be extra careful when doing emergency maneuvers.
Also add to the list AWD, HHC, HDC, Power fold able mirrors, telescopic steering, FATC, Cruise Control, Puddle and Entry assist lamps, Conversation mirror, Driver side express down window and last but not the least, the black interior colour which was very important for me (The reason why I didn't go for the white colour). All these above features are used in my vehicle and I don't have any regret going for the variant which I took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
To reply in a short line, for 80% of times, a Maruti 800 can do everything an XUV does - take someone from point A to point B. Do you think it makes sense for you to buy an XUV over an M 800? If your answer is Yes, similarly all W6 & W8 owners felt the need of those rarely used gadgets as well and hence opted for those.
Well said swiftnfurious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
A grey XUV 5OO W8 came into our family about a month ago.
- Some minor plastic squeak from behind the instrument cluster

It's not perfect, but it gives you a go-anywhere ability in a spacious, comfortable package and throws in a bagful of creature comforts. Reliability will be proven over the long run... fingers crossed.
Congratulations and welcome to the club
The squeak from the cluster is most probably coming from the canopy piece over the dials. In mine also it rattles, but only when the car goes over a bad patch. I don't know why Mahindra made it as a separate piece, they could have had it integrated with the cluster. With so many sensors inside, my wife calls it the bad road sensor
Please understand that even with the AWD, it cannot be termed as a go anywhere vehicle. Know the limits of the car and enjoy the drives. Happy mile munching.
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 12:13   #6159
rlg
BHPian

Gizmos could be useful in ways you never thought of while buying the vehicle. I often have to park in a multi level car park 5-6 levels up. It is a pain going through brake & clutch routine at every level during descent. One day tried HDC and I was like "why didn't I think of that before ?" Now I just engage HDC button and legs get complete rest all the way down. One improvement I can think of is allowing HDC speed adjustment using cruise control buttons. It is now a fixed speed per gear.
Old 25th June 2014, 12:33   #6160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Please understand that even with the AWD, it cannot be termed as a go anywhere vehicle. Know the limits of the car and enjoy the drives. Happy mile munching.
Thanks! And yes, I am very aware of its limitations. When I said "go anywhere", I was referring to on road excursions primarily. No off roading for this guy (it's not AWD anyway). But it should be able to take us to most parts of the country without much fuss. No worries about ground clearance, bad roads et al.

On another note, forgot to mention that the "turning" headlights are a real boon when turning into ill lit places. Very useful feature.
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 13:37   #6161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
Gizmos could be useful in ways you never thought of while buying the vehicle.
One improvement I can think of is allowing HDC speed adjustment using cruise control buttons. It is now a fixed speed per gear.
Speed can be controlled using the cruise control + and - buttons. It actually doesn't control the acceleration but breaking power. Pressing - causes increased breaking (thus decreasing speed) and pressing + causes decreased breaking (thus increased speed).
Old 25th June 2014, 14:54   #6162
BHPian

Quote:
When I said "go anywhere", I was referring to on road excursions primarily. But it should be able to take us to most parts of the country without much fuss. No worries about ground clearance, bad roads et al.
Yes, true. It can take on most of the roads that you find in our country without sweating. The major reason which prompted me to go for an SUV as my second car was the ground clearance. Even in a so called city like Bangalore, many a times the additional clearance has come in handy.
Quote:
On another note, forgot to mention that the "turning" headlights are a real boon when turning into ill lit places. Very useful feature.
Yes, I too felt that the static bending lights are a boon, especially on my trip to Thirthahalli where the roads were narrow and had lots of tight turns. Again, it is useful in city while you are turning to narrow, ill lit roads.
Old 25th June 2014, 14:59   #6163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Quote:

Yes my RM also confirmed me the same thing. But they are yet to reveal the contents. I believe such a move would quell all the negatives unleashed in some posts above.

Also there is a extended roadside assistance package in case of breakdown/accident too, after 2yrs of ownership. I believe this was bought to our notice by SDP in earlier posts.

Costs are :
1 yr : Rs.1925
2 yr. : Rs.2875
3 yr. : Rs.3875
4 yr. : Rs.4925
5 yr. : Rs.5975
Vasuki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 18:44   #6164
Senior - BHPian

Owners now have the option of:
  • 4th year / 1,20,000 kms, costing approximately Rs. 13,000 - Rs.16,000
    or
  • 4th and 5th year / 1,50,000 kms, costing approximately Rs. 21,000 - Rs.23,000.
The extended warranty is being offered on all models of the XUV500.

Link to news article

Last edited by S2!!! : 25th June 2014 at 18:46.
S2!!! is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 08:15   #6165
Senior - BHPian

Extended Warranty Option :

Guys is it worth going for the New Extended warranty option for the XUV ? 5yrs/ 150000kms sounds good. But, what are the issues covered under the extended warranty option ?

Most Viewed