Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:29   #6136
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Nomad View Post
AFAIK tyretronic will show PSI in case of low pressure
Confirmed. Sometime back, when I switched on the ignition, there was that yellow low pressure warning in the "christmas tree" section between the dials. I checked the tyretronics display and it showed "6 PSI" for the rear left tyre, whereas all the others were shown simply as "OK". Got down and checked it, since I had approached the vehicle from the driver's side and hence hadn't spotted the issue while I was outside. Just re-pressurizing the tyre with air resolved the issue.

I am not sure at what point it shows the actual value, however.

No idea what caused it though, it was just that once and never again.
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:59   #6137
BHPian

MODS: Please merge these two back-to-back messages. The 30 minute limit is stopping me from doing it. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Dont worry. Believe most of us had similar doubts and observations during our test drives. Two reasons - One because we are so accustomed to the current car and anything slightly different makes us feel odd. And two - being a test drive car it will ofcourse have its shortcomings. I have been driving my beast for almost 1.5 yrs, 27k kms... with a good amount of city driving as well as long trips.
Fully agree with this. When I first took a TD of the test mule (a white W8 with around 15K on the odo), I felt my Baleno was better than this. The clutch felt hard, the gear lever felt like it was just slightly in the wrong place, the vehicle felt too cumbersome, etc. Took me some time to get over it, even after I bought the W8. Now, I have been introduced to the joys of the XUV be it in the city or on the highway and I feel that all my apprehensions were just that, apprehensions. And the new car felt waayyy better than that venerable test mule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
1. The clutch has lot of travel and somehow my left foot started paining after 10 kms or so
This is a matter of adjusting your seat position. I too felt this initially and then once I adjusted the seat to the optimum position, the leg pain went away. I have driven 450 kms with just one stop and never felt any pain anywhere. Neither did the passengers!

Quote:
2. My dad complained about ac not sufficient in middle row. Not sure whether it was test drive vehicle issue
Must be the TD vehicle, since as others have pointed out, I am usually asked to switch off the AC or at least increase the temperature after half an hour or so.

Quote:
5. Side steps were not installed on TD vehicle. My mom was able to get in 2nd row with some help. She also tried seating into 3rd row with some difficulty. In case I go ahead with Xuv, I wont like to install side steps as I feel it doesn't look good on Xuv. I think 3rd row is not good for senior citizens and tall folks. My 6 year old daughter enjoyed 3rd row a lot.
I got the side steps free as part of the deal, but I couldn't get it installed when I took delivery as there was no stock at the dealer. I got it installed only after the first service (too lazy to visit the showroom as it is quite a distance from where I work/live). Although my mom or aunts or uncles never complained about the lack of the side step, once it was installed they felt more confident getting out of the vehicle. And I don't think it spoils the look in anyway. In fact, I felt it made the vehicle look more SUVish, than without!

You are right, the third row is strictly for kids or small adults. My daughter (12) and nephews (14 and 6) never sit anywhere except the 3rd row. Two of my office colleagues who are really short (like 5' or 5' 2") also felt quite comfortable there, when we went on a 500 km round trip. I tried sitting there once (I am 6' 1") and have not been back there after the first few minutes.

Quote:
7. Horn is hardly audible inside the cabin
Yes, the cabin insulation is quite good. I remember when I took the TD, I told the sales rep the same thing. He smiled, asked me to step outside while he hit the horn and that doubt disappeared. It is quite loud. Just shows the level of cabin insulation. You can barely hear someone who is talking loudly a couple of feet away if the windows are closed. They have to shout for you to hear them clearly. Every day on my way to and from work, I go through a fairly long underpass and once or twice, I was amazed at the noise level when the driver side window was open. So much so that I thought something was wrong. Just closing the window cut off about 80% of the noise. It is really that good.

Quote:
8. My left elbow was hitting central storage while changing gear. But it was ok.
I haven't noticed this too much. I usually rest my elbow on top of it, so maybe raising the seat level a bit will help you too.

Quote:
12. My wife complained about bounciness in 3rd row while going above speed breakers. I think this is expected in Suv. No body roll was observed though.
The overhang of the third row means that the seats are actually slightly behind the rear wheel, so bounciness will be present. The shocks are good enough to ensure that there is not much jarring even then, provided you are not going too fast. However, if you go over those mini speed breakers which are small but many in a short stretch, you can definitely feel the bounciness. The only way to avoid this is to take them slowly, but that is true of any large vehicle.

Last edited by Stryker : 23rd June 2014 at 17:00.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:26   #6138
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... The tyretronics doesn’t display the PSI figure. Can you please confirm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
Yes the tyretronics on the display doesnt show the PSI value. You can however use their blue sense app on android, which shows the PSI value as well as the temperature in each tyre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Nomad View Post
AFAIK tyretronic will show PSI in case of low pressure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Confirmed. Sometime back, when I switched on the ignition, there was that yellow low pressure warning in the "christmas tree" section between the dials. I checked the tyretronics display and it showed "6 PSI" for the rear left tyre, whereas all the others were shown simply as "OK". ...
I am not sure at what point it shows the actual value, however.
The infotainment system shows the actual PSI only when it is beyond the upper and lower thresholds. Otherwise it just shows 'OK'.

Here are couple of snaps from my Gujarat trip. The tyre was already overinflated (by mistake) and driving in the heat for around 6 hours made the matter worse. The screen was alternating between the following 2 states:

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0402.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0404.jpg

Last edited by SDP : 23rd June 2014 at 18:31.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 20:39   #6139

Thanks Sisu. i happen to research a bit more and found these suggestions from few experts. Let me know if you can figure out a reason that why should one not go for Indian made sun shades like autofurnish as compared to others listed below.

Autofurnish sunshade costing 3.5k for 6 pcs.
The 12 volts sunshade is costing 7k for 6 pcs.
Sun shade by NSV costing a whooping 15k for 6 pcs.

http://www.homeshop18.com/12-volts-s...501/cid:16727/

http://www.vicky.in/shopping/laser-s...uner-2012-7pcs

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Visibility is not bad. In the day it poses no problem, however I would recommend you remove it at night just to be safe.

It is very easy to install. It takes less than 60 seconds to install all 6 pcs. It basically has small magnets built inside the shade which stick onto the door frames. These are not very strong magnets so there is no damage to paint whatsoever.

I am pretty happy with this product and would definitely recommend it.

Cheeerzzz
Old 24th June 2014, 00:57   #6140
Senior - BHPian

Yes when people say that the middle row AC vents are not good, they are correct. Only in the middle row the flow of air is low and hence complain from passengers sitting there. Rest AC of XUV is excellent and if you put on the third row AC too, then it cools the cabin lot quicker.

So for all who complain bout mid row AC issues, please switch on the rear AC and place the vents facing forward (facing towards driver/co-driver position). Trust me it will work to great extent.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 10:27   #6141
BHPian

Quote:
Fully agree with this. When I first took a TD of the test mule (a white W8 with around 15K on the odo), I felt my Baleno was better than this. The clutch felt hard, the gear lever felt like it was just slightly in the wrong place, the vehicle felt too cumbersome, etc. Took me some time to get over it, even after I bought the W8. Now, I have been introduced to the joys of the XUV be it in the city or on the highway and I feel that all my apprehensions were just that, apprehensions. And the new car felt waayyy better than that venerable test mule.
I think the TD vehicles should be maintained in tip-top shape. Potential buyers may turn down the deal if there are issues.

Quote:
And I don't think it spoils the look in anyway. In fact, I felt it made the vehicle look more SUVish, than without!
Maybe it's my personal preference.

Quote:
Yes, the cabin insulation is quite good.
Agree. Outside noise is hardly audible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The infotainment system shows the actual PSI only when it is beyond the upper and lower thresholds. Otherwise it just shows 'OK'.
Any idea what is the range outside which the tyretronics display the PSI value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Yes when people say that the middle row AC vents are not good, they are correct. Only in the middle row the flow of air is low and hence complain from passengers sitting there. Rest AC of XUV is excellent and if you put on the third row AC too, then it cools the cabin lot quicker.

So for all who complain bout mid row AC issues, please switch on the rear AC and place the vents facing forward (facing towards driver/co-driver position). Trust me it will work to great extent.
Thanks. Will try this during my next TD.

Another observation: there is hardly any luggage space when 3rd row is up
Question to fellow XUV owners:
Where do you normally keep your luggage while travelling with 6+ passengers? Assuming you have at least 4+ bags and don't want to fold one of the 3rd row seats.

Roof rack is an option however it will disturb the aero-dynamics and stability.
Old 24th June 2014, 13:36   #6142

Mahindra XUV500 W4 - MODIFICATIONS

Hi everyone,

I am deliberately starting this thread under modifications as you would agree after reading the post.

Also I am starting this new thread because i believe there are quite a lot of W4 owners and the aspirants on this blog & who are being overshadowed by the W8 & W6 owners, in terms of how they were justified by buying in their own variants (W8/W6). I too truly believe in Mahindra, but just for their build quality and not for the GIZMOS, QUIET A LOT OF W8/W6 OWNERS will agree with me on this because of the niggles, more the electronics more are the niggles.

As a dedicated fan and follower of XUV500, i must say it was love at first sight for me since 29th Sept, 2011, and moreover i feel like it was truly a patriotically VALUABLE but not a dedicated effort by M&M to put forth this global SUV with so many issues still to be addressed on road, or else we wont have had to face this premature baby with n number of niggles yet to be addressed.

I must say that there are quite a lot of niggles which have been addressed to by M&M but there are much more to be still addressed, apart from the mechanicals (Clutch, gear shifts & suspension which were recently updated).

The early owners of W8 & W6 were like guinea pigs. They have their own issues to deal with. No wonder why I see so many W8 AWD/FWD and also the W6 cars on 2nd hand market. W6 owners are just an inch behind to follow them with their own niggles and sell off.

I firmly believe that the W4 is worth the money you put in for the wants of space, comfort, road command/presence, size and above all the patriotism factor to be fulfilled. I am a proud INDIAN and am happy for M&M's indigenous effort (i mean developing the XUV) and that too prior to owning the Ssangyong, rather than what TATA has failed to do, even after acquiring THE JLR (and developing DUDS like the Aria, Storme and now the MOVUS).

And when i say patriotism factor its not at all on a hysterical note. I have stayed in Dubai UAE for 2 years for work. I've seen people of various nationalities. But they have always stuck to their own national product. i.e. an American will always buy a Ford or a Chevy, a Canadian would always buy a Dodge. A Britisher would always buy a JAG. WHY??? Have you ever thought why????

Well its altogether another topic. But it certainly helps in molding and boosting your domestic economy.

BUT coming to the point, still quiet a few W8 owners have their own reasons to downgrade to W6 just because of loosing the tyretronics if they shift to another piece of alloys. What a crap of a reason, and these tyretronics dont even give you fair idea of tyre's state apart from OK or Error. Another DUD feature is the lounge lighting - tell me will you ever drive the car with this feature on, or would you be sitting in your car on a weekend trip with this feature enabled when all your friends are out n enjoying??? :-) And moreover the list doesn't end here. The XUV500 niggles thread is as long as DRAUPADI's SAREE, ..... LOL :-). Just serious answers on this one please.

I mean there has to be a limit to what the buyers should fall for. I challenge all the W8/W6 owners to list these so called gizmos on their variants which are being used on drive for 80% of the time... Its like buying a Samsung galaxy note 4 when yo don't even know how to use all the enlisted features and the irony is when you could have easily opted for a similarly functional Micromax for a dirt cheap price.

What I mean is that all the useful features can be retrofitted, like a few following:
1) the alloys (quiet smart options are available aftermarket than what M&M is offering at astronomical prices)
2) For the touch screen which is sorely missed on W4, a pioneer AVH 7550BT (single din with a 7" flipout screen can be installed in the clock panel of W4). Surely you'll love the screen when it comes out of the housing. Really its a lot more animated than to have a standstill 6" DUD screen, Trust me. And it comes with USB, AUX, reverse parking camera attachment option, and the bluetooth too.
3) the foglights who cares??? Decent led options are available at dirt cheap prices aftermarket. And these so called fog lights really should they be even termed as fog lights? have you tried them in fog????
4) Navigational maps??? do you seriously use them???? arent you using your pricey smartphone for this???? NOW even if you cry out loud about using this feature i wont believe you. Because there's an option right into your hands and still you are paying extra for it while buying the car.
5) So what remains is the ESP & Hill control feature... What if it duds like every other feature when you really need them the most? and for what you need that for??? don't you know how to drive your own car?????

I fairly said that these features are not even being used for 80% of time cos I personally wont put my hard earned money just for the show off and i am quiet assured to gather few followers on this statement of mine.

So I firmly believe that you can add n no. of gizmos aftermarket as per your needs, but the true base product has to justify itself. Which is for the time being the W4 variant (**almost if not totally free of all mechanical troubles***). And also it stands tall in front of the so called overpriced competition of DUSTER & ECOSPORT.

Lastly NO OFFENSE TO THE W8/W6 community... But personally I am planning to buy a W4 and mod it, as per the few points stated earlier. The only thing holding me back is the almighty vitamin M.

If you feel i have justified the W4 variant, like and add on your valuable replies to this thread.

Regards to everyone,

Uday

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2014 at 14:50. Reason: PM coming up
udayjp is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th June 2014, 14:56   #6143
BHPian

Quote:

Here are couple of snaps from my Gujarat trip. The tyre was already overinflated (by mistake) and driving in the heat for around 6 hours made the matter worse. The screen was alternating between the following 2 states:
Try Mahindra Bluesense APP for XUV500 from Android play store. It is a free app and it shows the exact values of tiretronics and few other interesting stuff.
This connects to the infotainment system through Bluetooth. We can even control the player (radio/CD/BT).
Old 24th June 2014, 15:00   #6144
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 W4 - MODIFICATIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjp View Post
Hi everyone,
Regards to everyone,
Uday
Just quoting the part which made any sense.

On a more serious note, why are you trying to justify your choice of a variant to others? Pick up whatever variant you like and can afford. There is no reason to bad-mouth the features in higher variants just because you don't like them.

On another serious note, the W4 does not have side & curtain air-bags and also does not have ESP. So go easy on those turns and be extra careful when doing emergency maneuvers.

All the best.
SDP is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 16:52   #6145
BHPian

Quote:

On a more serious note, why are you trying to justify your choice of a variant to others? Pick up whatever variant you like and can afford. There is no reason to bad-mouth the features in higher variants just because you don't like them.

On another serious note, the W4 does not have side & curtain air-bags and also does not have ESP. So go easy on those turns and be extra careful when doing emergency maneuvers.

All the best.
Nice comments SDP. Very modest as ever. As you mentioned choice is based on taste and Vitamin-M

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I am deliberately starting this thread under modifications as you would agree after reading the post.

If you feel i have justified the W4 variant, like and add on your valuable replies to this thread.

Regards to everyone,

Uday
Thanks for the suggested modification ideas. Hope you would buy W4 soon and start a modification thread.
Old 24th June 2014, 17:31   #6146

Quote:

All the best.
Hi SDP,

Apologies if you felt offended, had no intentions of hurting the sentiments of other variant owners, and badmouth features on the other variants - but aren't these features causing enough niggles to their owners? Nor was I trying to impose my choice onto anyone.

It was merely an inquisitive thought process on my part to have fairly and modestly compared the variants based on few reviews in this forum and others, prior to taking the plunge. As it is the amount of money which goes into it matters the most and hurts the most (if not justified by the product). Believe I am not alone on this turf.

It was never a question of affordability for me, I can even afford to buy a newly launched limited SportZ variant, but is it wrong on my part to expect no headaches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seran Manian View Post
Nice comments SDP. Very modest as ever. As you mentioned choice is based on taste and Vitamin-M

Thanks for the suggested modification ideas. Hope you would buy W4 soon and start a modification thread.
Thanks Seran,

I will definitely start the mods thread. Its only a matter of time before I get my baby home.

Regards

Last edited by Vid6639 : 24th June 2014 at 19:37. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option when posting within 30mins on the same thread.
Old 24th June 2014, 17:37   #6147
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Good news: Just heard from my RM that Extended warranty packages are being launched (or may be already launched) for XUV5OO.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 17:58   #6148
BHPian

Quote:
Where do you normally keep your luggage while travelling with 6+ passengers? Assuming you have at least 4+ bags and don't want to fold one of the 3rd row seats.

Roof rack is an option however it will disturb the aero-dynamics and stability.
If there are six people travelling and four can manage in the middle row (quite possible if all of them are slim and don't mind the squeeze) then the luggage will be in the last row, obviously. Alternatively, one of the last row seats can be folded to make space for the luggage, if it is not too much.

If the last row is occupied by two people or if you don't want to fold one of the seats, then there will be no space for luggage at all. None. Roof rack is the only option.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 18:42   #6149
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi SDP,

Apologies if you felt offended, had no intentions of hurting the sentiments of other variant owners, ...
No worries. Was not offended at all. Not that insecure.

Quote:
...and badmouth features on the other variants - but aren't these features causing enough niggles to their owners? ...
Unfortunately thats the wide-spread misconception. Let me list out what all works and what all is prone to failure:

ABS - Works
ESP - Works
Air-bags - Work (have seen a few accident vehicles)
Cruise-control - Works
ACC - Works
Navigation system - Works
Bluetooth integration with phone - Works
TPMS - Works
HHC - Works
HDC - Works
Automatic Wipers - Work
Automatic headlights - Work
Static Bending cornering lights - Work
Voice assist - Works
Start-Stop - Works
Auto-fold mirrors - Work
Lounge-lighting, puddle lamps, reading lamps - Work

Brake-pads - You get error when the sensor wire snaps often. The sensor is OK, just the wire is pathetic. Electrical issue.
Engine oil-pump - Fails and takes the engine with it. Mechanical failure.
Clutch - Fails and gets you stranded. Hydraulic failure and not electronic.
Turbo - Vehicle loses boost when the hose comes off. Mechanical.
Touch-screen Infotainment system - Works, but not flawless
Parking lamp LEDs - Used to conk off often earlier. Not seen instances recently
Low-beam bulbs - They fuse often.
Front windshield spray motor - Fails
Power steeting - Used to fail. Works after the recall. Was a mechanical part BTW
Wiper-cover - Used to create scratches on windshield. Works after the recall. Again mechanical.
Power-window winders - Used to fail. Works after the recall. Standard feature across cars 2-3 segments below. Can hardly qualify as gizmo.
Stabilizer-bar bushes - Used to fail often. Mechanical part.

Hope you see the trend. The gizmos seem to be working fine, but there are doubts about some key mechanical parts.

As a owner, I would worry about a clutch failure significantly more than a TPMS failure.

From the prone-to-failure list, please check what all is present in W4.

Last edited by SDP : 24th June 2014 at 18:49.
SDP is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 18:54   #6150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny.ganju View Post
...i happen to research a bit more and found these suggestions from few experts. Let me know if you can figure out a reason that why should one not go for Indian made sun shades like autofurnish as compared to others listed below.
http://www.vicky.in/shopping/laser-s...uner-2012-7pcs...
Please be informed that vicky.in has too much of negative reputation on the forum! Please be cautious if you ever plan to buy something from this seller.

Quote:
... So I firmly believe that you can add n no. of gizmos aftermarket as per your needs, but the true base product has to justify itself....
To reply in a short line, for 80% of times, a Maruti 800 can do everything an XUV does - take someone from point A to point B. Do you think it makes sense for you to buy an XUV over an M 800? If your answer is Yes, similarly all W6 & W8 owners felt the need of those rarely used gadgets as well and hence opted for those.

Quote:
... Lastly NO OFFENSE TO THE W8/W6 community...
Quote:
...Apologies if you felt offended, had no intentions of hurting the sentiments of other variant owners,..
Trust me, this is the most offensive statement of all your post. You have ridiculed the preferences & decision making capacity of all W6 & W8 owners all over your post and says "no offence"?

I request you to read thru your first post a couple of times and realize (and correct) the tone & language you used. It might be unintentional, but there are better ways to put your thoughts across to the rest of us.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th June 2014 at 18:57.
swiftnfurious is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks