Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 00:33   #6121
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
There's this weird sound coming from the front right side of the vehicle whenever it travels over bad/patchy roads.

I had it checked last time when I left it for service and the service folks said no problem. Suspension and related things were checked.

My XUV's done 13k kms and noise comes from front right top - something if you were to have a loose bonnet or bumper.

Any pointer please?
Are you sure it is coming from the top? Is it the hub cap? Atleast for my W4, thats what the service center said and fixed up the hub caps with the plastic strap. But still noise persists. Kind of like a stick stuk in the wheel hood and going tac tac ... If it persists, I am planning to remove the hub caps and put them in the storage shelf.
Old 19th June 2014, 07:51   #6122
A.R
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure it is coming from the top? Is it the hub cap? Atleast for my W4, thats what the service center said and fixed up the hub caps with the plastic strap. But still noise persists. Kind of like a stick stuk in the wheel hood and going tac tac ... If it persists, I am planning to remove the hub caps and put them in the storage shelf.
Mine's a W8, so no hub caps but alloys. It's not the wheels. I think it's got something to do one of the moving parts related to the wheel/suspension.

It's also not like the typical lower arm gone kaput sound. I checked the bonnet yesterday and it looked firm.

I've tried intentionally going over deep potholes and the shocks move as expected w/o noise. It's on broken tarmac and minor potholed roads where the noise is there.
Old 19th June 2014, 08:50   #6123
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mine's a W8, so no hub caps but alloys. It's not the wheels. I think it's got something to do one of the moving parts related to the wheel/suspension.

It's also not like the typical lower arm gone kaput sound. I checked the bonnet yesterday and it looked firm.

I've tried intentionally going over deep potholes and the shocks move as expected w/o noise. It's on broken tarmac and minor potholed roads where the noise is there.
Balancer-bar bushes may be?
But in that case, the sound is typically from both sides.
Old 19th June 2014, 14:07   #6124
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Another probable cause will be loose break caliper pins. You can check the same by turning the wheels in so as to expose caliper and try pushing it. If there is movement it can be a reason.
Old 19th June 2014, 16:12   #6125
BHPian

Hi,

I had this "kda kda" sound coming from front left tyre area while driving over patchy surfaces. They replaced the suspension! Now the sound is no longer there. My vehicle had done just 2000 Kms then.

Quote:
There's this weird sound coming from the front right side of the vehicle whenever it travels over bad/patchy roads.

I had it checked last time when I left it for service and the service folks said no problem. Suspension and related things were checked.

The noise now is so irritating that I want t get it fixed. I need to figure out what's causing it and tell the ASC to fix since they've not been able to figure out.

My XUV's done 13k kms and noise comes from front right top - something if you were to have a loose bonnet or bumper.

Any pointer please?
Old 19th June 2014, 16:47   #6126
A.R
BHPian

Thanks folks. Looks like I need to explain the issue in detail and leave the car over the weekend for a complete inspection. I hope its not a major issue :(
Old 19th June 2014, 17:48   #6127
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi,

I had this "kda kda" sound coming from front left tyre area while driving over patchy surfaces. They replaced the suspension! Now the sound is no longer there. My vehicle had done just 2000 Kms then.
Replaced the suspension? I mean, wow!
Can you please share, what all parts from the suspension were replaced? Just the shock-absorbers or more parts?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 15:16   #6128
BHPian

Took second test drive today with family. First test drive was a quick one done at showroom two weeks ago. I wanted to check following things,
1. Seating options as we may travel with 7 passengers onboard
2. Whether my mom can get in/out without using side step
3. Check all features (gizmos) in detail
4. Get everyone's feedback

Booked the test drive 2 days ago. The SR reached my home sharp at 11 with opulent purple W8.
Drove the car for around 15 kms within city as wanted to specially check city drivebility.
My observations,
1. The clutch has lot of travel and somehow my left foot started paining after 10 kms or so
2. My dad complained about ac not sufficient in middle row. Not sure whether it was test drive vehicle issue
3. Initially I could not adjust the driver seat in right position. My knees were hitting the area below the steering. After 5 kms, stopped the car and adjusted the seat. It was perfect after doing proper adjustment. The seats have lot of support and are comfortable.
4. Brakes felt ok. Not as good as my Swift which is way better.
5. Side steps were not installed on TD vehicle. My mom was able to get in 2nd row with some help. She also tried seating into 3rd row with some difficulty. In case I go ahead with Xuv, I wont like to install side steps as I feel it doesn't look good on Xuv. I think 3rd row is not good for senior citizens and tall folks. My 6 year old daughter enjoyed 3rd row a lot.
6. Rubber mats were missing in the TD vehicle. Observed that carpet has held really well even though the car has run 12000 kms.
7. Horn is hardly audible inside the cabin
8. My left elbow was hitting central storage while changing gear. But it was ok.
9. Lots of leg room for co driver and 2nd row
10. Steering quality was above expectations
11. All the features are top class and very useful
12. My wife complained about bounciness in 3rd row while going above speed breakers. I think this is expected in Suv. No body roll was observed though.

Fellow Xuv owners, kindly share your comments on point 1, 2, 8 and 10.
mp417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 20:46   #6129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp417 View Post
My observations,

1. Agree with both the clutch travel and leg pain. Workaround for the latter: adjust the driver seat slightly in long drives esp after 1-2 hours.

2. AC works great.

8. Not only your left elbow; your watch may get tangled/hit by the park brake lever, your right knee may hit the switch key and never forget the two massive blind spots created by the A-pillars. The left one can hide a Mahindra maxximo..

10. Totally agree.

12. Simple solution: inflate the tyres to no less than 34PSI.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 21st June 2014 at 20:49.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 20:48   #6130
J.Ravi

Quote:
2. My dad complained about ac not sufficient in middle row. Not sure whether it was test drive vehicle issue
I don't know whether the rear AC was switched on or not during the test-drive. Recently, we eight people travelled in my XUV 500 in Chennai with the rear AC switched on and automatic climate control set at 24 deg C. After some time [in the afternoon], the third row passengers complained of too much of cold. I switched off the rear AC. They were happy.
  (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 00:31   #6131
BHPian

Quote:
Took second test drive today with family. First test drive was a quick one done at showroom two weeks ago. I wanted to check following things,
1. Seating options as we may travel with 7 passengers onboard
2. Whether my mom can get in/out without using side step
3. Check all features (gizmos) in detail
4. Get everyone's feedback

Booked the test drive 2 days ago. The SR reached my home sharp at 11 with opulent purple W8.
Drove the car for around 15 kms within city as wanted to specially check city drivebility.
My observations,
1. The clutch has lot of travel and somehow my left foot started paining after 10 kms or so
3. Initially I could not adjust the driver seat in right position. My knees were hitting the area below the steering. After 5 kms, stopped the car and adjusted the seat. It was perfect after doing proper adjustment. The seats have lot of support and are comfortable.
4. Brakes felt ok. Not as good as my Swift which is way better.
5. Side steps were not installed on TD vehicle. My mom was able to get in 2nd row with some help. She also tried seating into 3rd row with some difficulty. In case I go ahead with Xuv, I wont like to install side steps as I feel it doesn't look good on Xuv. I think 3rd row is not good for senior citizens and tall folks. My 6 year old daughter enjoyed 3rd row a lot.
6. Rubber mats were missing in the TD vehicle. Observed that carpet has held really well even though the car has run 12000 kms.
7. Horn is hardly audible inside the cabin
8. My left elbow was hitting central storage while changing gear. But it was ok.
9. Lots of leg room for co driver and 2nd row
10. Steering quality was above expectations
11. All the features are top class and very useful
12. My wife complained about bounciness in 3rd row while going above speed breakers. I think this is expected in Suv. No body roll was observed though.

Dont worry. Believe most of us had similar doubts and observations during our test drives. Two reasons - One because we are so accustomed to the current car and anything slightly different makes us feel odd. And two - being a test drive car it will ofcourse have its shortcomings. I have been driving my beast for almost 1.5 yrs, 27k kms... with a good amount of city driving as well as long trips.

1. Regarding clutch .. I always felt for a diesel vehicle the clutch is pretty decent. Infact its better than most of the competitors. I never felt any discomfort even while driving in heavy traffic situations.

2. For fast cooling, there is always the option to switch on the rear ac which would mean air flow from the 3 rd row vents. What you father noted is right. The throw from the vents in the 2nd row is weak. Positioning it on the B pillar just makes it worse. Again being a bigger vehicle than a sedan or a hatchback, it also takes some time to cool. But I have gone for long distance drives with passengers in 2nd row and no one complained about the cooling. What I do is point the 3rd row ac vents towards the 2nd row and keep it at full blast, which means the air hits in the back of the necks. Usually 15-20 mins into the drive i get the request to switch off the rear AC as they would be feeling cold ...

4. Regarding brakes.. Yup they are not as good as some of the cars around. But again with time you wont feel it is too bad. Just need to figure out the right pressure required.

7. The horn is again pretty decent. You wont hear it much inside the cabin with the windows up. Just denotes how well insulated the cabin is. Try honking with the windows down and it wont sound too feeble.

8. The centre storage is meant to be an arm rest . I usually rest my left elbow there while changing gears and never felt it as a hindrance. But I think this depends more on the position of the seat. Being a tall person, I drive with the seat pushed all the way back and the armrest extended all the way towards the front. Again did you extend the arm rest towards the front. If not there is again the possibility of your elbow hitting it.

12. Again as you rightly noted bounciness is there while going above speed breakers. XUV's suspensions are not the best around and infact the entire set of passengers as well as luggage can get thrown around if speed breakers and pot holes are not driven over carefully. But then with time you learn how to drive the beast in such road conditions without the passengers feeling much bounciness.

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 21:10   #6132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I don't know whether the rear AC was switched on

the rear AC. They were happy.
Yes, even all the fellow TBhpians has mentioned that XUV’s AC is a chiller. Somehow this AC thing is still lingering on my father’s and wife’s mind. I am planning to go to another dealer to see if they have better/newer TD vehicle. The TD vehicle I drove yesterday was not properly maintained. I noticed broken plastic at few places (handbrake, gear lever, AC vents) and dirty interiors especially plastic panels. These things are very important to build a good impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
1. Agree with both the clutch travel and leg pain.
12. Simple solution: inflate the tyres to no less than 34PSI.
1. I wore chappals on purpose during this TD since I feel more comfortable wearing shoes while driving. Wanted to see the difference. Will wear shoes on my next TD. Will keep an eye for clutch behaviour and leg pain.

8. I found the handbrake design/shape a bit awkward. Didn’t notice the blind spot due to A-piller. May be I am accustomed to adjust my vision/neck for these blind spots. The ORVM are really great.

12. This is another concern raised by wifey. I plan to sit in 3rd row and ask the SR to drive vehicle during my next TD. The tyretronics doesn’t display the PSI figure. Can you please confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
8. The centre storage is meant to be an arm rest . .

12. Again as you rightly noted bounciness is there while going above speed breakers.

FundaG
8. I agree. It depends on how you adjust your seat and your own height. Yes, I noticed that the arm rest can be moved forward and backward after completing the TD. The centre storage has got BIG space. So many things can be put into it. Wifey was really impressed.

12. As mentioned above, will sit in 3rd row during my next TD.

Thank you all for your replies.
Old 23rd June 2014, 01:20   #6133
BHPian

Quote:

12. This is another concern raised by wifey. I plan to sit in 3rd row and ask the SR to drive vehicle during my next TD. The tyretronics doesn’t display the PSI figure. Can you please confirm?

Thank you all for your replies.
Yes the tyretronics on the display doesnt show the PSI value. You can however use their blue sense app on android, which shows the PSI value as well as the temperature in each tyre.
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:43   #6134
BHPian

AFAIK tyretronic will show PSI in case of low pressure
Urban Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:45   #6135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
Yes the tyretronics on the display doesnt show the PSI value. You can however use their blue sense app on android, which shows the PSI value as well as the temperature in each tyre.
Thanks.
Doesn't it make more sense to update the main screen software to display these values (PSI, Temperature). Did Mahindra omit this on purpose?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks