Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2014, 13:15   #6031
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Hi Folks!
I guess I discovered something yesterday. All of us are aware of the woes of decade old cars of various manufacturers in which one could forget keys inside and lock the car. The woes can be well imagined if an individual is away from home and w/o duplicate keys which is the truth invariably. We also remember, doing the "scale" trick to open the car doors!

With this as the background, yesterday I opened rear door of my W8 with the middle button of remote (meant for the rear door). I closed the door under weight and found that it got auto locked with my keys inside! The other doors were obviously locked. Thankfully, it happened in my parking so I could get the duplicate key. I was just thinking the inconvenience it would have caused had it happened somewhere else.

Is it meant to be a feature or its an oversight my M&M or am I missing something?

Last edited by TaureanBull : 18th May 2014 at 13:16.
Old 18th May 2014, 14:33   #6032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Hi Folks!
I guess I discovered something yesterday. All of us are aware of the woes of decade old cars of various manufacturers in which one could forget keys inside and lock the car. The woes can be well imagined if an individual is away from home and w/o duplicate keys which is the truth invariably. We also remember, doing the "scale" trick to open the car doors!

With this as the background, yesterday I opened rear door of my W8 with the middle button of remote (meant for the rear door). I closed the door under weight and found that it got auto locked with my keys inside! The other doors were obviously locked. Thankfully, it happened in my parking so I could get the duplicate key. I was just thinking the inconvenience it would have caused had it happened somewhere else.

Is it meant to be a feature or its an oversight my M&M or am I missing something?
I guess its a good feature. That button is meant to open just the hatch door so that while shopping you can come back, dump all stuff by using that button, without opening the entire car, and close door and return back to more shopping. Auto locking will do the rest. So its a convenient feature. Same way when you unlock the car but do not open any door, XUV system locks the car back again after few minutes, which again is nice feature in my opinion.

I do agree that these things can happen (key getting locked inside) but then we have to deal with it as every thing has it plus and minuses. Just my 2 cents
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 14:49   #6033
BHPian

[quote=TaureanBull;3436122]Hi Folks!

The feature also helps u to open boot when security checks at malls etc.. without geting down or using key or using main lock to just open boot. As a precaution I always have a key loop in my belt when not in ignition, and use it to avoid such situations. I agree its pretty frustrating when in that situation.
kARTIK IYER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 15:12   #6034

Dear Friends,

I'll be booking an XUV W8 AWD this week and have chosen the following items as a part of the additional accessories as suggested by the dealer :

1. Side Foot Step
2. Illuminated Scuff Plates
3. Reverse Camera

Apart from this, the dealer is offering the following accessories free of cost :

1. Rubber Mat
2. Body Side Moulding.

I have a few questions :

1. Should I opt for the rubber mats or transparent mats. Can someone help with the pros and cons ?
2. Is the rear guard really required ? Does it help in a city like Pune ?
3. I've seen quite a few BHPians who have opted for fog lamp bezels as well. Is that only for improving the aesthetics of the vehicle or does it have another purpose ?
3. Are there any other accessories that you think I should consider ?
4. While opting for a zero dep insurance policy, I either have an option to only include the IDV of the vehicle or go for the total invoice value of the vehicle which will also cover the money spent for additional accessories. What do you think is a better option ?
5. While doing a test drive on the vehicle, I was trying to see how the micro-hybrid feature works, but after repeated attempts of toggling between the start/stop button, this feature just failed to work. The vehicle I test drove had done ~21,000 Kms only. Should I expect such issues to crop up often after the purchase ?

Awaiting your inputs.
Old 18th May 2014, 15:38   #6035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulraxx View Post
I'll be booking an XUV W8 AWD this week and have chosen the following items as a part of the additional accessories as suggested by the dealer :

1. Side Foot Step
The side foot step robs the car of ground clearance, i find them of no use in XUV because being monocoque the floor is already low. My car came with side footsteps installed, i removed them on day one.

If you toggle start stop system when the vehicle is at rest, the car has exceed a certain speed once to activate the system again. I haven't heard of Start/Stop system failures in XUV.

In the winters, here in the North this system works great at traffic signals which have visible timers. In summers because the A/C system gets switched off too makes me feel uncomfortable so i keep it switched off.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 15:49   #6036

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The side foot step robs the car of ground clearance, i find them of no use in XUV because being monocoque the floor is already low. My car came with side footsteps installed, i removed them on day one.

If you toggle start stop system when the vehicle is at rest, the car has exceed a certain speed once to activate the system again. I haven't heard of Start/Stop system failures in XUV.

In the winters, here in the North this system works great at traffic signals which have visible timers. In summers because the A/C system gets switched off too makes me feel uncomfortable so i keep it switched off.
Thanks Anshuman. I'm planning a trip to Leh in August, so based on your inputs, I think it doesn't make sense to install the footsteps. But can you confirm if you've had any elders complain about difficulties during ingress/egress ? I might have to think of an alternate solution like carrying a small stool to help my parents.

Also, are the rain visors of any help ?
Old 18th May 2014, 16:57   #6037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anshuman. I'm planning a trip to Leh in August, so based on your inputs, I think it doesn't make sense to install the footsteps. But can you confirm if you've had any elders complain about difficulties during ingress/egress ? I might have to think of an alternate solution like carrying a small stool to help my parents.

Also, are the rain visors of any help ?
Crossover(or CUVs, as they are called in US) do not generally come with side steps installed.

I haven't come across anyone complaining about difficulty in ingress/egress.

I do not know how good are rain visors, i removed them on day one. I find them ugly, its a matter of personal taste.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 17:12   #6038
BHPian

[quote=rahulraxx;3436167]Dear Friends,

1. Side Foot Step
3. Reverse Camera

Apart from this, the dealer is offering the following accessories free of cost :

1. Rubber Mat
2. Body Side Moulding.

Hi,

I have installed the side step primarily for my mom and havent hit any speed breaker etc..in fact it saved the body in a way when I passed a toll point which had narrow passage. I would advice do not buy illuminated scuff plates, the light goes off soon and that part gets brushed too much and gives faded ugly look. If needed go for normal ones. Reverse camera is good but I have heard its best if fitted at mahindra. Body side moulding is waste as per me but its upto individual taste as much as full chrome set or not.

Rain visors are good and I have installed them.

Last edited by kARTIK IYER : 18th May 2014 at 17:13.
kARTIK IYER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 18:02   #6039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

1. Side Foot Step
3. Reverse Camera

1. Rubber Mat
2. Body Side Moulding.

I have a few questions :

1. Should I opt for the rubber mats or transparent mats. Can someone help with the pros and cons ?
2. Is the rear guard really required ? Does it help in a city like Pune ?
3. I've seen quite a few BHPians who have opted for fog lamp bezels as well. Is that only for improving the aesthetics of the vehicle or does it have another purpose ?
3. Are there any other accessories that you think I should consider ?
4. While opting for a zero dep insurance policy, I either have an option to only include the IDV of the vehicle or go for the total invoice value of the vehicle which will also cover the money spent for additional accessories. What do you think is a better option ?
5. While doing a test drive on the vehicle, I was trying to see how the micro-hybrid feature works, but after repeated attempts of toggling between the start/stop button, this feature just failed to work. The vehicle I test drove had done ~21,000 Kms only. Should I expect such issues to crop up often after the purchase ?

Awaiting your inputs.
1. Reverse Camera a must. Side foot step only if damn necessary (read-old age/kids as passengers). Scuff plates and side moulding only of cosmetic value so install only if it appeals to you.

2. Personally I have never liked the transparent foot mats. Most of them are poor grade translucent plastics.

3. Rear guard may be helpful, though the reverse cam would have to be properly installed to prevent interference. Personally again I dont like rear guards.

4. No additional accessories required since W8 is already fully loaded.

5. Read the insurance clause well. Do you really want your accessories to be insured?

6. Start/Stop button works like a charm. I also disable it whenever I am on long drives on highway and whenever AC is in use.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 20:08   #6040
Senior - BHPian

1. Side foot step--> I installed it in my XUV. Very useful for my mom to get in and out. Also useful when I clean the roof.

2. Illuminated scuff plates--> heard from some friends that , chances of getting the lights on the plates to get damaged while washing the car. But havent seen any proof yet. I have installed ordinary scuff plates.

3. Reverse cam. --> must must must.

I have installed front and rear bull bar..
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 20:11   #6041

[quote=kARTIK IYER;3436201] As per the dealer, the reason for using the body side mouldings is that when another car is parked right next to yours and their door hits the lower part of your car, it creates a dent which in turn requires wheel alignment. Does that make sense ?
Old 18th May 2014, 20:32   #6042
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,
1. Side Foot Step
I have installed the rear guard and it helped me to prevent couple of major blows to the rear bumper from two-wheelers. While they tried to maneuver thro cars in a signal, they only hit the rear guard.

Rain-visors... it helps if its been installed properly. During moderate rains you can roll down the window (a little) and still drive your car...just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
I have installed front and rear bull bar..
Installing Front Bull Bar doesn't interfere with Airbags deployment system on a impact? Nothing against your installation but i am trying to understand...

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Also, please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th May 2014 at 08:33. Reason: See note in post
ebmrajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 20:53   #6043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
Installing Front Bull Bar doesn't interfere with Airbags deployment system on a impact? Nothing against your installation but i am trying to understand...
Yes, It does interfere. I Know that too . But the bull bar was required to protect the headlights and the bumper from cyclists and two wheelers. I know its a negative point on safety measure. My apologies.

Let me post my XUV pic tomorrow.

I heard that there are front ABS guards which don't interfere with the ABS sensors. The model which i fitted is a popular one for XUV and Scorpio in tamilnadu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
Rain-visors... it helps if its been installed properly. During moderate rains you can roll down the window (a little) and still drive your car...just my 2 cents.
I have installed the Rain visors too. But as you said. It has to be installed properly. The mahindra guys didn't do a good job with that. The visor interferes while opening the doors . The front door just touches the rear door visor and the black sticker on the front door gets damaged. These Mahindra guys cant seem to install the accessories properly.

Last edited by undead : 18th May 2014 at 20:56.
Old 18th May 2014, 20:56   #6044

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My car came with side footsteps installed, i removed them on day one.
Is this a DIY kind of thing or does it require a visit to the service station ?
Old 18th May 2014, 21:03   #6045

I was also told by the Sales executive that all the AWD's that have been sold from his dealership have had Bridgestones only. Is that the case ? Also, are the Bridgestones good or should I consider JK Tyres ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks