Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2014, 13:15   #5896
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_a_u_r_a_b_h View Post
I too feel the same in my Jan W6. Vehicle struggles in the second gear at low speeds.

At least in my case, I am not talking about starting from dead stop. In a typical bumper to bumper traffic scenario (or going over a big speed breaker) too where one has to drive at fairly low speeds, second gear is a pain. The vehicle stops unless you press the accelerator hard which I will hate to do. I have to invariably downshift to first gear in such scenarios. So not only is the second gear relatively difficult to engage (which becomes better with practice and getting used to), it also seems to lack the sufficient bite at low speeds. It's quite possible that I may not be doing something right, so if others has figured it out (except learning to live with it), I would love to learn from them.
What you are talking about is the dead/near-dead speeds. In that case you will feel the engine lugging and vehicle will stop. The RPM would be definitely less than 1000. Most of us want to stay away from first gear as the drive is not smooth and upshift to the higher gear as soon as possible.

The real reason for this problem specific to XUV is that when the vehicle slows down to low speeds there is no "feel" (feedback) of requirement to downshift. However, as soon as one attempts to accelerate the vehicle the vehicle stalls/ lugs for some time till sufficient RPM is achieved.
Old 28th April 2014, 13:58   #5897
rlg
BHPian

The need to down shift to first at near dead speeds does exist. But the lack of pick up you feel will improve in my experience. I have to go up a ramp from my parking where this was very evident. It used to knock unless I maintain some speed. The lack of pick up was felt too if I tried to accelerate a bit to get it out of the knocking zone. This improved after running in of 1000+ km and eventually disappeared completely. I haven't heard any knocking at the ramp at any speed for a long time now.
Old 28th April 2014, 18:37   #5898
BHPian

Quote:
I too feel the same in my Jan W6. Vehicle struggles in the second gear at low speeds......
As TaureanBull said in the last post, if the engine rpm falls below the 1000 mark, it will definitely lug/stall. But I did not find it as a problem as the other car I drive is a diesel Figo. This car also has the same behaviour and I had to slightly modify my driving style to suit this. In the XUV, another problem is the non-linear clutch which seems to compound this.
Old 28th April 2014, 19:40   #5899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too feel the same in my Jan W6. Vehicle struggles in the second gear at low speeds.

it also seems to lack the sufficient bite at low speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
The need to down shift to first at near dead speeds does exist. But the lack of pick up you feel will improve in my experience. I have to go up a ramp from my parking where this was very evident. It used to knock unless I maintain some speed. The lack of pick up was felt too if I tried to accelerate a bit to get it out of the knocking zone. This improved after running in of 1000+ km and eventually disappeared completely. I haven't heard any knocking at the ramp at any speed for a long time now.
To clarify my point further, the problem here is trying to accelerating the car when its below 1000 RPM. If someone feels that the vehicle lacks bite at low speeds then one should try and accelerate in second gear at about 1200-1300 RPM. Its a very smooth acceleration and I would go to the extend that it will surprise many folks if not ready for the acceleration which is generated.

The vehicle is very good mover both in city and highway but what is required is correct selection of gear.
Old 29th April 2014, 11:27   #5900
BHPian

Has anyone fitted Side Wing Fender mirror? like the one which Fortuner has ! I regularly drive in bumper-bumper traffic and i feel having that mirror would help me in avoid any possible contact with other vehicles...especially with bikers doing all sort of stunts
Old 30th April 2014, 11:59   #5901
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Its been 3 days since I drove my new XUV. I am out of town on most weekdays so it is pretty usual.

What is not usual is that given this is a long weekend, my mom really wants to visit Vaishno Devi (~640 Km to Katra from my hometown Meerut) which, considering I will start and end at Gurgaon will be around 1700 Km of drive in 4 days.

Its been just 5 days since I took the delivery and I dont even have a permanent number. I want to check -

1. Is it ok to take the new car (~400 Km run already) on a long drive before finishing the run-in period - I will observe the run-in guidelines on this journey as well

2. Will taking a temp number car create any problems in entering Jammu/Katra?

BTW, I am getting used to the second gear now. Still trying to figure how best to keep the dust away from crevices and how to keep the volcano black black.

Thanks,
Carvoyeur
Old 30th April 2014, 12:55   #5902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvoyeur View Post
1. Is it ok to take the new car (~400 Km run already) on a long drive before finishing the run-in period - I will observe the run-in guidelines on this journey as well
Yes, it is absolutely fine to take a new car on long drive. Actually it will be a good run in for your car, since you have been driving in city and now you are taking it on highway, the engine will settle down perfectly. Also make sure you do not red line or take your vehicle to higher RPM's very often.

Quote:
Until and unless you have the RTO invoice for the tax paid it should not be a problem.

Have a safe journey
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 13:32   #5903
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I too took TR for the first few days and i wanted to travel to TamilNadu from Karnataka. At least what the showroom guys told me is that i can travel to another state only if i have the same TR number printed in a proper number plate and not as a printout pasted in the windshield. I believe sticking the printout of TR number and driving in the same state is not an issue but it might be if you cross the state border.
ebmrajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 14:06   #5904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
I too took TR for the first few days and i wanted to travel to TamilNadu from Karnataka. At least what the showroom guys told me is that i can travel to another state only if i have the same TR number printed in a proper number plate and not as a printout pasted in the windshield. I believe sticking the printout of TR number and driving in the same state is not an issue but it might be if you cross the state border.
Oh glad to hear that - I already have the temp number on my number plate. Got it from the dealer itself.
Old 1st May 2014, 10:50   #5905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
I've noticed that too with my Feb14 manufactured W8 standing close to earlier piece. The difference in height was substantial. Infect my friend also noticed the same and we went in to measure the distance between tyre and fender of both but that was same. We were not able to come to any conclusion for the difference in height which is more visible from the front.

Have you tried to find the reason for this extra height .
Old 1st May 2014, 13:29   #5906
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

BTW, I am getting used to the second gear now. Still trying to figure how best to keep the dust away from crevices and how to keep the volcano black black.

Thanks,
Carvoyeur
AFAIK if you have all the required documents with you, you can drive the car anywhere in India for a time period of 30 days from the date of registration.

And of course the second gear ratio takes a bit of getting used to, due to the fact that the second ratio is small and the third radio long. But the pulliing power of the second radio is good in the hills. Try upshifting from second to third ratio around 2.5k RPM and you should be fine.
Old 1st May 2014, 15:56   #5907
Senior - BHPian

Test drove my sister's w8 yesterday for a few kilometers. The amount of electronics is just overwhelming

Has the first service for w8 changed from 10,000 KM to 5,000 KM?
I read on another post that the first service will cost about Rs. 3000.
So, does that include synthetic oil change?
When is the second service (10000 KM)?

Edit: Read comments on previous page about the performance in second gear in city conditions. Yes. We all felt it was sluggish in build up of speeds (say 10 KMPH -30 KMPH range) in the second gear. But the gear shifting was smooth - not notchy.
Perhaps things will improve after first service.

Last edited by S_U_N : 1st May 2014 at 16:04.
Old 1st May 2014, 19:56   #5908
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Has the first service for w8 changed from 10,000 KM to 5,000 KM?
The period restriction has been removed now. Earlier, it was 5,000 km or 3 months, whichever is earlier. Now, it is 5,000 km only irrespective of the period.

Quote:
I read on another post that the first service will cost about Rs. 3000.
Here is the bill I paid for during the first service.

Here are the details.

Quote:
When is the second service (10000 KM)?
Yes, 10,000 km.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 1st May 2014 at 19:57.
  (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 22:19   #5909
BHPian

Guys,

My XUV is up for first service soon. Seek help on the following :-

1. Good service centre in Mumbai, Thane, Navimumbai
2. Any reliable contact at service centre
3. What are the things I need to take care or must do during first service.

Would really appreciate support..
Old 2nd May 2014, 02:05   #5910

Hi folks,
Apologies for my absence, had been keeping busy for the last few months however now i am back and will be present more on the forum!
Wanted to inform you all that i completed my first long drive on my white cheetah W8, it was flawless Mumbai-pune-mahabaleshwar-Mumbai. Cheers to the machine enjoyed the drive, feel and trust this beast translates into!
I really feel this one has a heart installed somewhere inside it..whatta journey!!!

Pictures of my roadtrip to follow soon by this weekend, had fun taking it to the most amazing points in Mahabaleshwar
Cheers
Sam

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd May 2014 at 06:50. Reason: Brand specific meets / groups are not permitted.
sKHAIR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks