Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2014, 16:16   #6646
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
How much do the W6 and W8 models cost approx on road here?
W8 is around 16.25 on road (Inclusive of 0 dep insurance). I am not sure of W6 pricing currently.

Quote:
any thoughts or inputs about XUV being oversize for Bangalore roads?
I would agree with comments of other members. Will not call it over-sized for daily commute. However you may find parking an issue in certain malls (Ex: Central Belandur, Oasis Mall Ejipura etc). However I guess that will be an issue in any vehicle apart from hatchbacks.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 16:20   #6647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey Folks, idea of a new car is mulling in my head and I am getting tempted by XUV. I have always been against SUVs due to there mammoth size but then what the heck, you only live once. Just wanted some feedback from folks in Bangalore. How much do the W6 and W8 models cost approx on road here? Also given that the primary usage of this car will be in the city with occasional weekend trips around south India, any thoughts or inputs about XUV being oversize for Bangalore roads?
W6 cost around 14.4 lacs on Road and W8 costs around 16.3 lacs after discounts. IMO it is the only SUV which can be used in cities with ease and the best highway commuter. Also keep updated with your experience if you visit any of the showrooms as they might give you special offers for festive season.
fusionbang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 21:11   #6648
BHPian

Quote:
For comparison, the XUV is just 20cms longer and 20cms wider than a Vento. It has got a very small turning radius (5.6m) for its size (5.4m for the Vento).

I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to take U-turns without much fuss. Greatly helps while parking in tight spaces too. The front bumpers are greatly rounded at the corners which again helps parking.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 22:48   #6649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
For comparison, the XUV is just 20cms longer and 20cms wider than a Vento. It has got a very small turning radius (5.6m) for its size (5.4m for the Vento).

I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to take U-turns without much fuss. Greatly helps while parking in tight spaces too. The front bumpers are greatly rounded at the corners which again helps parking.

The Jetta is hardly 25cm longer and not even 9cm wider than the Vento with a turning radius of 5.5m. But it still feels like a much bigger car within the city. So the best way is not to rely on dimensions and specs.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:38   #6650
BHPian

Quote:
I have recently( 20 days back) migrated from a Honda city ( 2010 Model) to the XUV500 W8. I had the similar dilemma in my mind as I travel almost 45 km (22 km each way) a day on the outer ring road. I had a 1200 Km road trip 2 weeks back.

My 2 cents on the car :
1. You don't feel that the the car is bulkier to a sedan. I am also wondering why? Maybe because of the good steering & 140 BHP power, No Turbo lag. Experts may comment here
2. Easy to maneuver in the city . I normally drive in 2nd & 3rd Gears .
3. I have not felt any noticeable (read worth Mentioning) issues while moving through narrow roads.
4. I felt that the clutch is heavier than the honda city. So in a complete Stop -Go traffic you will have slight difficulty.
5. Very Stable on highways . ( Please note that I had not crossed 100 KM/h on highways as my car was new & not even crossed 200 km when I took it out on the trip)

Overall a good experience until now .

BR
Ansuman

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2014 at 16:21. Reason: Language corrections
ansumaan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 07:08   #6651

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpriyesh View Post
Yes ideally you can. It will play avi files. But I am unsuccessful till date. It is recognizing avi files but I can see only blank screen..could be a file codec issue
I tried it and it played. avi files on the pendrive play. However video is disabled when the car starts moving.

Guys, please tell me does the car shudder in the second gear when accelerating. Noticed this for the first time. Almost like too much torque at the fly wheel.
Also, the gear ratios compared to a five gear car are very different. My car has stalled many times, in the second and third gears,while in motion, due to my not being able to fathom the right rpm. Never had this problem with any of my earlier cars.
How does one reset the odometer or trip recorder? Any amount of pressing the triangular button on the rpm hood doesn't work. Thanks

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd October 2014 at 10:22.
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:25   #6652
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedhar View Post
Guys, please tell me does the car shudder in the second gear when accelerating. Noticed this for the first time. Almost like too much torque at the fly wheel.
Also, the gear ratios compared to a five gear car are very different. My car has stalled many times, in the second and third gears,while in motion, due to my not being able to fathom the right rpm. Never had this problem with any of my earlier cars.
How does one reset the odometer or trip recorder? Any amount of pressing the triangular button on the rpm hood doesn't work. Thanks
Being a front-wheel-drive, there is a noticeable torque-steer in the XUV. Be gentle on the pedal while accelerating and you should be fine. If yours is a W8, please ensure that the ESP is not turned off. With ESP-Off, the torque-steer is even more noticeable. If the problem still persists, try getting the wheel-alignment and balancing done.

About right RPM, the engine idles at around 850rpm. While driving if the engine rpm drops to 1000 rpm (and below), the engine would stall. In any gear, maintain the rpm in the 1500-2000 rpm range and you should be fine.

About the trip-reset, there are 2 triangular buttons on the cowl, one on each side. The one on the right is to toggle between Odo-TripA-TripB. Are you sure , you are using this button and not the one on the left side? Please check

Last edited by SDP : 23rd October 2014 at 10:29.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:43   #6653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried it and it played. avi files on the pendrive play. However video is disabled when the car starts moving.

1. Video gets disabled while driving for safety reasons. You cannot disable that . Its inbuilt in the system itself and not connected to the handbrake.

2. Shudder while full throttle? I experienced that too . Its torque steer and feels like ESP kicks in. Be gentle on the throttle or dont give sudden full acceleration . Increase the pedal force gradually.
3. I too had stalled the car many times in second gear during my inital ownership experience, and particularly while moving from speed breakers. Just give slight throttle while releasing the clutch gradually and it wont stall. You will learn by experience.
undead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 12:36   #6654
BHPian

Quote:
If it is mild vibration around 1500-1800 rpm (when accelerating in a straight line), it is the engine vibration(and transferred to the cabin) due to the turbo kicking in. You may check out a similar vehicle at service center and confirm it is normal, and not an engine mount issue in your vehicle.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 06:52   #6655

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Being a front-wheel-drive, there is a noticeable torque-steer in the XUV. Be gentle on the pedal while accelerating and you should be fine. If yours is a W8, please ensure that the ESP is not turned off. With ESP-Off, the torque-steer is even more noticeable. If the problem still persists, try getting the wheel-alignment and balancing done.

About right RPM, the engine idles at around 850rpm. While driving if the engine rpm drops to 1000 rpm (and below), the engine would stall. In any gear, maintain the rpm in the 1500-2000 rpm range and you should be fine.

About the trip-reset, there are 2 triangular buttons on the cowl, one on each side. The one on the right is to toggle between Odo-TripA-TripB. Are you sure , you are using this button and not the one on the left side? Please check
Thank you so much SDP for the advise. Firstly,do I need to to keep the ESP on all the while? Its just pressing that button...right. Is it ok to keep it engaged all the while?

Secondly, would you not be over revving when going speedbreakers and the kind if you maintain the rpm at > 1500. I guess its just that I need to understand the car better. It will take time.

Lastly.. I went by the manual and pressed the triangle button on the cowl of the RPM guage. (The right side one) Any amount of pressing isn't changing the display. Its always showing ODO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
1. Video gets disabled while driving for safety reasons. You cannot disable that . Its inbuilt in the system itself and not connected to the handbrake.

2. Shudder while full throttle? I experienced that too . Its torque steer and feels like ESP kicks in. Be gentle on the throttle or dont give sudden full acceleration . Increase the pedal force gradually.
3. I too had stalled the car many times in second gear during my inital ownership experience, and particularly while moving from speed breakers. Just give slight throttle while releasing the clutch gradually and it wont stall. You will learn by experience.
Thanks a ton. You reassure me. Its a learning experience everyday with the w8. So many things just keep happening suddenly...auto lights, auto wipers,, gawd..its unnerving sometimes. Its a pleasure to drive one. Looking forward to the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
If it is mild vibration around 1500-1800 rpm (when accelerating in a straight line), it is the engine vibration(and transferred to the cabin) due to the turbo kicking in. You may check out a similar vehicle at service center and confirm it is normal, and not an engine mount issue in your vehicle.
Thanks Bejoy. I will check out some other vehicles at the service station and see for myself.

Note from Mod : Please read up on how to use the Multi-Quote functionality. You have been informed of the same previously as well.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th October 2014 at 07:21. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old 24th October 2014, 07:43   #6656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a ton. You reassure me. Its a learning experience everyday with the w8. So many things just keep happening suddenly...auto lights, auto wipers,, gawd..its unnerving sometimes. Its a pleasure to drive one. Looking forward to the experience.

It took almost 10000kms for me to understand this vehicle . Seems you are from coimbatore. I am near erode only. If you have any doubts , just make a drive on the cbe-salem highway and we will meet up .
Old 24th October 2014, 09:04   #6657
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you so much SDP for the advise. Firstly,do I need to to keep the ESP on all the while? Its just pressing that button...right. Is it ok to keep it engaged all the while?
ESP is ON by default when you start the car and it is recommended that you let it be in ON state permanently. You never know when you need it.

Quote:
Secondly, would you not be over revving when going speedbreakers and the kind if you maintain the rpm at > 1500. I guess its just that I need to understand the car better. It will take time.
1500-2000 rpm is where the XUV's engine is in the sweet range. But even the 1000-1500 rpm range is good with a lot of torque on tap. What I meant was don't drive with rpm close to 1000 rpm as the possibility of engine stalling is higher near that rpm, especially if you are in higher gears.

While in 1st and 2nd gear, you can rev a bit and upshift at 2000rpm. From 3rd gear onwards, you should upshift at 1500rpm. This ensures smooth gear changes without any jerks.

Quote:
Lastly.. I went by the manual and pressed the triangle button on the cowl of the RPM guage. (The right side one) Any amount of pressing isn't changing the display. Its always showing ODO.
This seems like a problem. Please get it corrected.

Last edited by SDP : 24th October 2014 at 09:06.
Old 24th October 2014, 14:52   #6658
BHPian

Quote:
hey Folks, idea of a new car is mulling in my head and I am getting tempted by XUV. I have always been against SUVs due to there mammoth size but then what the heck, you only live once. Just wanted some feedback from folks in Bangalore. How much do the W6 and W8 models cost approx on road here? Also given that the primary usage of this car will be in the city with occasional weekend trips around south India, any thoughts or inputs about XUV being oversize for Bangalore roads?
May I suggest a bit of unorthodox way to experience this car better...

I rented a XUV500 from Zoomcar and completed a trip to Goa (1200kms in total). Since I have already decided on buying XUV500, this trip helped me experience the car better. I didn't find it difficult to drive in Bangalore city and on highway its excellent.
vaspro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 11:31   #6659

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
It took almost 10000kms for me to understand this vehicle . Seems you are from coimbatore. I am near erode only. If you have any doubts , just make a drive on the cbe-salem highway and we will meet up .
Yes. I'm from Coimbatore and will definitely keep in mind your invite. Meanwhile do enlighten me from time to time. I may ask very mundane questions. Don't mind. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
ESP is ON by default when you start the car and it is recommended that you let it be in ON state permanently. You never know when you need it.

1500-2000 rpm is where the XUV's engine is in the sweet range. But even the 1000-1500 rpm range is good with a lot of torque on tap. What I meant was don't drive with rpm close to 1000 rpm as the possibility of engine stalling is higher near that rpm, especially if you are in higher gears.

While in 1st and 2nd gear, you can rev a bit and upshift at 2000rpm. From 3rd gear onwards, you should upshift at 1500rpm. This ensures smooth gear changes without any jerks.

This seems like a problem. Please get it corrected.
Thanks SDP. I have more or less understood the rpm ranges. Will try and maintain those you have suggested. Thanks for the tit bits...will be asking more as I discover them. Hope you don't mind.
Old 26th October 2014, 00:38   #6660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
W6 cost around 14.4 lacs on Road and W8 costs around 16.3 lacs after discounts. IMO it is the only SUV which can be used in cities with ease and the best highway commuter. Also keep updated with your experience if you visit any of the showrooms as they might give you special offers for festive season.
I will mostly start looking towards end of year. Will keep the group updated on the offers then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
May I suggest a bit of unorthodox way to experience this car better...

I rented a XUV500 from Zoomcar and completed a trip to Goa (1200kms in total). Since I have already decided on buying XUV500, this trip helped me experience the car better. I didn't find it difficult to drive in Bangalore city and on highway its excellent.
Thats a pretty good idea. Somehow it didnt strike me earlier . Thanks to Zoomcar we have lot of options to try out now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks