Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2014, 20:43   #6631
BHPian

Falconion - how do you check the sw/hw version?
Old 19th October 2014, 23:34   #6632
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Anyone aware of any offers currently going on XUV in Pune. Also how much discounts one can expect during the year end.
Today afternoon I had a longish TD of the XUV5OO (more than 20 kms) at Silver Jubilee Motors, Telco Road, PCMC. Though I wanted to drive the W6, all TD vehicles are W8 only. Also I have been driving a hatch for the last 10+ years, however I quickly adapted to the XUV5OO's taller stance and got comfortable in the driver's seat quite easily. The only hitch was the long clutch travel, but got used to it in the first 2-3 kms.

I didn't find any kind of notchiness in the first and second gears, and slotting them was cakewalk. In fact it was a welcome relief to my left hand, coming from an Indica background. Though my shoe size is 9, at no point in time over the 20km long TD, even once I could feel the steering column touching my left foot. The braking was sharp and quite predictable. Steering response was also good. Potholes and speedbrakers were munched with ease. The litmus test of slotting the XUV in my apartment parking bay was passed with flying colours. I could put it in reverse in one go. I was a bit apprehensive about the rearward visibility with the smaller rear windshield, but that fear was unfounded. The side view mirrors were adequate for reversing the car. However a reverse camera is a must have accessory.

The Auto AC was quite effective. I want to know from XUV owners, if the air conditioning for the second and third row from the pillar mounted vents is as effective as those of the Innova's overhead mounted vents? I believe the Innova has three distinct advantages over the XUV (8 seater config):
  1. Sliding middle row, which can create ample leg room for the 3rd row occupants
  2. Both seats of second row tumble completely, so last row can be accessed from either of the sides, whereas in XUV it can be accessed only from the left side, because only the 40% seat (from the 60:40 middle row) can tumble completely.
  3. Enough luggage space even with 3rd row of seats is up. Not so with the XUV.
However on all other parameters, the XUV beats the Innova hollow (pardon me for comparing a SUV with an MUV, but these two are prime contenders for my next upgrade). Earlier I was hell bent on the Innova at least a used one, if not new, but then below are some of the factors, which are taking me closer to the XUV and away from the Innova.
  1. The Innova GX costs a whopping 15.05 lakhs in Pune, whereas the XUV5OO, W6 costs 14.17 lakhs, with hundreds of additional features, major ones being, 6 gears, 40 BHP extra power, 130Nm of extra torque, all wheel disc brakes, twin air bags, Auto AC, Fog lamps, Projector headlamps, cornering lights, steering mounted controls, voice control, cruise control, bluetooth, AUX-in, USB, etc and many more.
  2. Innova engine is noisy compared to XUV and above 100-120 kmph it struggles to make progress. As against this the XUV really wakes up beyond 100.
  3. 17 inch wheels (225mm section) compared to 15 inch and 205, is going to make a lot of difference in keeping the road irregularities away from the cabin. What with the 200mm ground clearance, against 175mm.
  4. XUV is just three years old in its life cycle and most of the initial niggles are sorted out. Current Innova is getting into its tenth year and it is at the end of its life cycle with an all new Innova hitting in late 2015 or early 2016. So a used Innova is a better bet than a brand new one, which can depreciate much faster.
  5. Oil change interval in XUV is 20K, whereas Innova has it at 10K. Fuel tank of 70 litres in XUV with better mileage has a greater touring range that the 55 litre Innova tank (at least by 200-250 kms), could make a lot of difference during long trips.
If I sideline the reliability factor for a while, it is becoming very hard to convince myself for an Innova over an XUV. Can someone help me make an informed decision. Besides the above there could be a reduction of almost 60K in the on-road price of XUV, courtesy following offers:

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-xuv-quotation-silver-jubilee-19oct2014.jpg

Another thing, which I learnt from the sales person is that some of the features of W6 are going to be discontinued e.g. individual reading lamps only for first and second row of seats and not third row, charging points again only for first and second row, no fog lamps etc. The primary reason being W6 cannibalizing the sales of W8. Not sure if this was a gimmick to push the current stock or Mahindra is seriously considering these omissions. Experts please comment.
Old 20th October 2014, 08:11   #6633
J.Ravi

Irrespective of the vehicle you choose, please accept my advance congratulations and best wishes, AutoIndian.

Quote:
225mm section
All the versions of XUV 500 have 235 mm-wide tyres. Also, the regular engine oil replacement interval in XUV 500 is 20 k km or 1 year, whichever is earlier.

Another major difference between XUV 500 and Innova is, while the former is based on monocoque construction, the latter is built on ladder-frame chassis.
  (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 08:22   #6634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Irrespective of the vehicle you choose, please accept my advance congratulations and best wishes, AutoIndian.
Thank you for your wishes Sir.

Quote:
All the versions of XUV 500 have 235 mm-wide tyres. Also, the regular engine oil replacement interval in XUV 500 is 20 k km or 1 year, whichever is earlier.
Apologies for that typo. I knew it was 235 section, but somehow missed it.

Quote:
Another major difference between XUV 500 and Innova is, while the former is based on monocoque construction, the latter is built on ladder-frame chassis.
Thank you once again for pointing out that important difference.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 10:35   #6635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
It's H7 bulb 55watt.
Manual is saying H7 for Low Beam & H15 for High beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-untitled.jpg  

Old 20th October 2014, 10:57   #6636
BHPian

Even I have been told that some features might be omitted in W6 in the near future.
inder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 22:15   #6637
BHPian

Quote:
Today afternoon I had a longish TD of the XUV5OO (more than 20 kms) at Silver Jubilee Motors, Telco Road, PCMC. Though I wanted to drive the W6, all TD vehicles are W8 only. Also I have been driving a hatch for the last 10+ years, however I quickly adapted to the XUV5OO's taller stance and got comfortable in the driver's seat quite easily. The only hitch was the long clutch travel, but got used to it in the first 2-3 kms.
I was in similar kinda dilemma a couple of months back, to go for it or not. Finally bought W6 and have driven 1500kms till now. Trust me loving every bit of it. I feel as if i rule the road. Have driven it in city traffic on 4 lane highway and even hills. If you omit off roading, XUV is an all rounder. Its not meant for bad roads. Scorpio, innova, safari do much better on that.

I find all the features of W6 very useful and use them regularly except the auto start stop function. I think if you book W6 now you will get all the previous features though it's better to confirm from the dealer.

I got speed rims installed from Mahindra itself and it's giving excellent looks to my silver XUV.

To be honest it's not a people mover like innova. Last row is strictly for kids or very short height people that too for long runs you need to have a overhead carrier for luggage if there are 6 to 7 passengers. For 5 persons it is very very comfortable. Front seats are superb with good support all round. Rear leg room is such that one can sit crossed legs. 3rd row once folded gives you ample space to gobble up your holiday luggage.

Trust me you don't have to sideline the reliability. The current XUVs are pretty reliable and few ownership thread that of Ravi sir, Debuda etc will add up to your confidence.

On a lighter note, while returning from a days trip on 4 lane expressway a innova was continuously honking and trying to over take me, a little tap on the accelerator and I didn't see that innova again in my RVM.

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st October 2014 at 17:28. Reason: Please dont quote entire long post for replying as its aesthetically a problem for readers
rahul_kej is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 00:32   #6638
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you once again for pointing out that important difference.
Quote:
Trust me you don't have to sideline the reliability. The current XUVs are pretty reliable and few ownership thread that of Ravi sir, Debuda etc will add up to your confidence.
The vehicle as such is reliable. After 25K km over different terrains, it has held up good. The main and most important difference between an Innova and XUV is the service. You give the innova for service, you get it back without headache in 3 hours where as if you give the XUV 500 for service, they most probably will give it back in 2 days citing huge backlog of vehicles and most of the service centers do not have that many experienced service advisors.
Best wishes.
balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 08:39   #6639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
The vehicle as such is reliable. After 25K km over different terrains, it has held up good. The main and most important difference between an Innova and XUV is the service. You give the innova for service, you get it back without headache in 3 hours where as if you give the XUV 500 for service, they most probably will give it back in 2 days citing huge backlog of vehicles and most of the service centers do not have that many experienced service advisors.
Best wishes.
Thank you for those inputs Balan. Your XUV seems to be on a mile munching spree. You have already clocked 25K in under a year. Did any point in time you feel that a RWD car would have been a better proposition compared to FWD? Also what are those features that you feel, you are missing in your W4 compared to that of W6 or W8?
Old 21st October 2014, 09:27   #6640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Experts please comment.
Please take a quote from Sahyadri Motors too. Also, whichever dealer you choose, bargain hard to get more discounts, starting with that ridiculous handling charge.

Also, if a 7 seater is not a must for you, check out the new Duster AWD too. It's quite a compelling package in the same budget as a XUV.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st October 2014 at 09:28.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 10:05   #6641
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for those inputs Balan. Your XUV seems to be on a mile munching spree. You have already clocked 25K in under a year. Did any point in time you feel that a RWD car would have been a better proposition compared to FWD? Also what are those features that you feel, you are missing in your W4 compared to that of W6 or W8?
As mentioned earlier, the reason I went to the Mahindra showroom was to buy a scorpio. But suddenly changed the mind seeing the W4 price. Unless you offroad a lot, the XUV should be ok. I havent driven a W6 or W8. So I wont be able to comment on those models. But of all the vehicles I have driven so far, this is the most silent cabin. Absolute silence. That is one reason for a non tiring drive.
balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 10:15   #6642
BHPian

My 2 cents for you:
I ve done around 23000 kms in a year and till now i have not faced any issues, either with the car or with ASS. The service has been done satisfactorily and on time. I have done some really long jouneys on it.
1) mussorie to amritsar non stop (9.5 hrs)
2) greater noida to amritsar (10 hrs)
3) leh to manali with a single break of around half hour (14.5 hrs)

I must tell you that the seats are just awesome and with brilliant NVH levels, the journey never became too tiring. Just buckle yourself up in the drivers seat, switch on the engine, play your favourite music and you can go places. it s an effortless highway cruiser
Mine is a W8 BTW
manasmadaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 14:23   #6643
Senior - BHPian

hey Folks, idea of a new car is mulling in my head and I am getting tempted by XUV. I have always been against SUVs due to there mammoth size but then what the heck, you only live once. Just wanted some feedback from folks in Bangalore. How much do the W6 and W8 models cost approx on road here? Also given that the primary usage of this car will be in the city with occasional weekend trips around south India, any thoughts or inputs about XUV being oversize for Bangalore roads?
Old 21st October 2014, 15:41   #6644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
hey Folks, idea of a new car is mulling in my head and I am getting tempted by XUV. I have always been against SUVs due to there mammoth size but then what the heck, you only live once. Just wanted some feedback from folks in Bangalore. How much do the W6 and W8 models cost approx on road here? Also given that the primary usage of this car will be in the city with occasional weekend trips around south India, any thoughts or inputs about XUV being oversize for Bangalore roads?
It's not oversized at all to the likes of safari or endeavour. It's very easy to handle in city traffic with very responsive steering and almost no turbo lag. As the roads in south India are pretty good you will love the occasional weekend trips and even will love any long road trip if you plan to.
rahul_kej is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 15:51   #6645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's not oversized at all to the likes of safari or endeavour. It's very easy to handle in city traffic with very responsive steering and almost no turbo lag. As the roads in south India are pretty good you will love the occasional weekend trips and even will love any long road trip if you plan to.
+1 to that. You just mentioned what I was about to. Easy to drive in city due to the good driving position and good view of the corner of the Xuv. Good ride quality on country roads. Dismisses potholes easily Only when driven fast ( bumpy when driven slow) . Light steering . Just cruise along in 2nd gear and 3rd year in city traffic.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks