Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 12:48   #6661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Any news on XUV automatic front? There is no way I want to stand on those heavy diesel SUV clutches. Time has come for me to buy an SUV and only new SUVs within my budget are Scorpio/XUV/Storme. Let us see which gets AT first.
Old 27th October 2014, 12:52   #6662
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Any news on XUV automatic front? There is no way I want to stand on those heavy diesel SUV clutches. Time has come for me to buy an SUV and only new SUVs within my budget are Scorpio/XUV/Storme. Let us see which gets AT first.
Scorpio has a clutch which is softer than a hatchback clutch. So a diesel SUV need not have a heavy clutch. Take a TD and see if clutch of new scorpio is good enough.

That said, duster AWD clutch is very soft. Even our 30,000kms done duster had a very soft clutch. Very different experience from the 85PS 2WD duster
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 13:07   #6663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Scorpio has a clutch which is softer than a hatchback clutch. So a diesel SUV need not have a heavy clutch. Take a TD and see if clutch of new scorpio is good enough.

That said, duster AWD clutch is very soft. Even our 30,000kms done duster had a very soft clutch. Very different experience from the 85PS 2WD duster
TSK, may be what you said is right but do they stay that way? I have personally driven some old Scorpios, Safaris, Endeavours, Captivas whose clutch will make you stand on them. Ok, standing may be exaggeration but I hope you get the picture. I would wait for AT because my small town calls for some hundred gear-changes a day. Speaking of which I wonder why can't M&M see that next AT SUVs are Endy and Captiva touching 30 L.
Old 27th October 2014, 13:32   #6664
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
TSK, may be what you said is right but do they stay that way? I have personally driven some old Scorpios, Safaris, Endeavours, Captivas whose clutch will make you stand on them. Ok, standing may be exaggeration but I hope you get the picture. I would wait for AT because my small town calls for some hundred gear-changes a day. Speaking of which I wonder why can't M&M see that next AT SUVs are Endy and Captiva touching 30 L.
It depends on maintenance. I have seen well maintained Mhawks having soft clutches even after 50,000kms.
Safari? Well it always gets hard. I wonder why!
Duster AWD, again 30,000kms rental car, subject to abuse, but extremely soft clutch.

No idea about XUV as haven't driven a 30-40K done sample.
Old 27th October 2014, 16:06   #6665
BHPian

BHPians,

I moved my query from this thread " http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/121235-2014-mahindra-scorpio-facelift-w105-edit-now-launched-rs-7-98-lakhs-73.html" to here.

To give a background, I have owned Innova, 2005 Scorpio CRDe , Indigo, etc and finally bought an optra magnum in 2012 selling my innova.

I am planning to buy a SUV kind of vehicle and short listed Duster, Scorpio and XUV 500.
Duster - awesome ride, absorbs pot holes, fuel efficient and low body roll but low space and equipment.
Scorpio- Good visibility and commanding view but low on equipment and seats are not very comfy.
XUV- lot of equipments and priced well.

I have heard a lot of -ive feed back on XUV but off late there were good ones as well.

Can anyone here comment on the improvements in the NEW XUV 500 as this is at the top of my list.
I drive mainly on NH 49 ( Kochi to Munnar road - daily almost 180 Km for 5 days a week)

Thanks in advance

Moderator's Note: This question has been actually answered multiple times. Please look through this and the glitches thread on XUV to get the answer.

Last edited by Zappo : 27th October 2014 at 20:47.
Old 27th October 2014, 17:08   #6666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
BHPians,

I moved my query from this thread " http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/121235-2014-mahindra-scorpio-facelift-w105-edit-now-launched-rs-7-98-lakhs-73.html" to here.

I am planning to buy a SUV kind of vehicle and short listed Duster, Scorpio and XUV 500.
Duster - awesome ride, absorbs pot holes, fuel efficient and low body roll but low space and equipment.
Scorpio- Good visibility and commanding view but low on equipment and seats are not very comfy.
XUV- lot of equipments and priced well.Can anyone here comment on the improvements in the NEW XUV 500 as this is at the top of my list.
1. Scorpio- but low on equipment - Which version did you look at ? Old VLX & current S10 have almost everything an XUV has and much more than what a Duster would offer (from rain sensing wipers, auto lighting, TPMS, cruise control, etc. etc..)

2. Scorpio- seats are not very comfy - Except the front row the other 2 rows are not very comfortable for long drives

Your requirements however point you straight to the XUV5OO, the current version is almost niggle free and M&M has taken the feedback from the initial experiences very seriously to rectify the issues to maximum possible so you will get a relative peace of mind in that regard. However, for a truly closed eye post purchase experience there is none better than a Toyota (Fortuner specifically if you want a SUV)

Quote:
The mHawk clutch in both Scorpio & XUV is butter soft, I can compare my Scorpio clutch with my earlier car which was a WagonR

Last edited by m_upreti : 27th October 2014 at 17:12.
Old 27th October 2014, 17:37   #6667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
BHPians,

XUV- lot of equipments and priced well.

I have heard a lot of -ive feed back on XUV but off late there were good ones as well.

Can anyone here comment on the improvements in the NEW XUV 500 as this is at the top of my list.
I drive mainly on NH 49 ( Kochi to Munnar road - daily almost 180 Km for 5 days a week)

Thanks in advance
I have completed 10000kms in my XUV and i am highly satisfied with the vehicle. Mine is a 2014 model and all the initial niggles and issues have been sorted out. You could see out team-bhp members long term reports that after the initial issues they had, now they are running trouble free. Dont compare XUV to scorpio . Drive them back to back and you will see the difference. Excellent highway cruiser.
Go for W8. Cruise Control will be very useful on highway driving. If you are short on budget and you are able to stretch only to Scorpio top end- go for atleast W4.
Mechanically Mahindra is a very good vehicle. Those sensors were creating some problems, particularly Nippon ones. Now they have almost sorted out.
Also , spare parts aren't costly like the Germans.

Also Mahindra service is really good, particularly to the XUV owners. 20000kms Oil change(no time interval), 10000kms checkup .

This is what happened in my case : I bought my XUV from SKS salem, wasn't happy with the 1st service as they charged an accessory called Mahindra Maxicare Engine coating without my knowledge for Rs.650. Then i shifted to CAI for 2nd service. The Service Manager Mr. Ritesh called up from SKS Salem on seeing my post on this forum and kindly apologized for the mistake that has been committed by the RM . He assured me that this will not happen next time, as he was once the RM , but later promoted to SM and due to heavy work , he didn't keep track of all the things happening on the service centre and thanked me for letting him know about that incident and assured me that I will be satisfied on their service on my next visit.

Last edited by undead : 27th October 2014 at 17:38.
undead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 23:12   #6668
BHPian

Hello..In most of the threads I have been reading about XUV, Scorpio and other M&M Vehicles but the only vehicle to have an AT version the RX7, has no mention. It is a real good vehicle, have test driven it once but the only flaw I found was the pick up was really slow when starting from a red light and I could hear the engine noise in the cabin. I am not sure if it is the right vehicle to buy as it is loaded with all the goodies. As I am only looking to buy an AT version...Toyota dealership has told me to go ahead and buy the Fortuner without a TD as they do no not a TD vehicle available and it is a hot selling SUV and the waiting is 3 months. I would not buy a 27L vehicle without a TD? But all in all still very confused regarding the RExton.
Old 28th October 2014, 08:03   #6669
Team-BHP Support

I really do not know if it is the right thread to post your query & answer it over here, but still...

Have driven the Rx-7, it is (based on my understanding) an old school AT gearbox, which is slow. I do not think, there would be any issues with it as it is a tried & tested product. And yes, the interiors make you feel special, especially if you hop off from a Fortuner.
Old 28th October 2014, 08:07   #6670
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd stay with Fortuner. Rexton will leave you wanting in performance and handling. But as Sheel said not correct thread. Why not start Rexton to buy our not thread?
Old 28th October 2014, 08:13   #6671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalik30 View Post
Hello..In most of the threads I have been reading about XUV, Scorpio and other M&M Vehicles but the only vehicle to have an AT version the RX7, has no mention. It is a real good vehicle, have test driven it once but the only flaw I found was the pick up was really slow when starting from a red light and I could hear the engine noise in the cabin. I am not sure if it is the right vehicle to buy as it is loaded with all the goodies. As I am only looking to buy an AT version...Toyota dealership has told me to go ahead and buy the Fortuner without a TD as they do no not a TD vehicle available and it is a hot selling SUV and the waiting is 3 months. I would not buy a 27L vehicle without a TD? But all in all still very confused regarding the RExton.

I would definitely ask you to TD the Fortuner. There are many aspects to the drive & ride quality which may or may not appeal to you.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:51   #6672
BHPian

I apologise for posting in the wrong thread but was very confused as where to post this query as there is no Rexton thread and if I would have posted it in the fortuner thread I know I would have been eaten alive for speaking against the fortuner. The vehicle may be good no doubt but then we do not buy a house because it is by the best developer without seeing the papers. How do Toyota expect to sell a vehicle without a TD and just on basis of the no of units being sold? I had purchased my Optra Magnum in 2009 and a lot of bhpians had asked me not to go ahead with it and instead buy the Corolla Altis but in my view 5 years has been the best experience of my life driving the Optra and have just spent 52000 in these 5 years for servicing/maintainance.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:31   #6673
Senior - BHPian

Guys i am going to buy 3rd and 4th year warranty tomorrow. I wanted to ask, does it make sense to buy road-assist service too for extra 5K per year? Isnt it too much for this service?
Old 29th October 2014, 07:34   #6674
BHPian

My XUV scraped a wall slightly and I am seeing black areas on the bumper. Realized that Mahindra has put only a thin layer of body color on the bumper and a small scratch will uncover the black portion beneath that. Cost cutting???
Old 29th October 2014, 08:06   #6675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Guys i am going to buy 3rd and 4th year warranty tomorrow. I wanted to ask, does it make sense to buy road-assist service too for extra 5K per year? Isnt it too much for this service?
You can take one only if you do a lot of out station trips and have a fear of getting stranded somewhere. Else I don't think you will need one as the local ASS will be more than happy to do it on a case to case basis which will be much cheaper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks