Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2015, 21:43   #7636
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkr_99 View Post
There is a long standing niggle though - when I shift from first to second gear, I hear a "thud" sound - it seems to be coming from the rear. The sound is only heard when shifting from first to second !!! I had posted a query in the XUV500 niggles thread sometime back, but it seems nobody else is facing this specific issue. As always, I have now got used to that sound.

-Vivek

I hear a "thud" sound too when moving very slowly in bumper to bumper traffic while changing from 1st to 2nd gear. It seems it comes from the rear as you mentioned but not sure if this is an issue.

Last edited by pgupta : 10th December 2015 at 21:45.
Old 10th December 2015, 23:11   #7637
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
I hear a "thud" sound too when moving very slowly in bumper to bumper traffic while changing from 1st to 2nd gear. It seems it comes from the rear as you mentioned but not sure if this is an issue.
Exactly, exactly. In my case,
- the sound is very much audible
- sound occurs only when I release the clutch after gear shift
- heard only for the shift from first to second gear
- also gets a slight "thud" feeling in my left leg when the sound is heard,
- happens in bumper to bumper traffic when clutch is used frequently
- sound is apparently from the rear

These are the exact symptoms !! Nowadays, I seem to have got used to it, and don't bother about that - although initially it was really annoying.

-Vivek
Old 11th December 2015, 10:54   #7638
BANNED

Quote:

Regarding "thud" sound, what I feel it is fuel movement sound when fuel moves inside the tank and comes only when fuel tank is 3/4 or 1/2 filled. Not coming if tank is full or very less.

Can anybody also observes it and confirmed?

Last edited by ampere : 11th December 2015 at 11:06. Reason: Edited quoted post
Old 11th December 2015, 13:59   #7639
BHPian

Quote:

These are the exact symptoms !! Nowadays, I seem to have got used to it, and don't bother about that - although initially it was really annoying.

-Vivek
I feel it is the sound of the clutch engaging. The drivetrain engages with an impact leading to the metallic thud sound. try releasing the clutch more gradually and check
Old 11th December 2015, 14:33   #7640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp74 View Post
Regarding "thud" sound, what I feel it is fuel movement sound when fuel moves inside the tank and comes only when fuel tank is 3/4 or 1/2 filled. Not coming if tank is full or very less.

Fuel sloshing in the tank should not create a 'thud' sound. The XUV500 has a 'twin-hulled-boat' kind of shape, and I have no idea what impact this has on the sloshing.

Also, Vivek had mentioned that he could feel it in the left leg, which points to a possible issue with the drive train and/or suspension. I have not encountered this in my vehicle (11000km on the ODO).

Tx.
Old 11th December 2015, 17:51   #7641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp74 View Post

Dear bp74, I don't think it is because of the fuel level. Because, I had faced this during a long trip as well, when I had to go through city traffic on the way - at that time the tank was almost full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
I feel it is the sound of the clutch engaging. The drivetrain engages with an impact leading to the metallic thud sound. try releasing the clutch more gradually and check
Yes, I had read about that possibility in some of the forums. I usually release the clutch gradually (not because of this sound, but my driving habit only) - still I can hear this sound. Let me check again during this weekend for the occurrence of the sound and will update

Quote:
Originally Posted by arao View Post
Fuel sloshing in the tank should not create a 'thud' sound. The XUV500 has a 'twin-hulled-boat' kind of shape, and I have no idea what impact this has on the sloshing.

Also, Vivek had mentioned that he could feel it in the left leg, which points to a possible issue with the drive train and/or suspension. I have not encountered this in my vehicle (11000km on the ODO).

Tx.
Thanks arao, mine is around 18.5K on the odo. This behavior has been there from the beginning. The problem is I have difficulty in convincing the service center people, since the sound is not very loud. Anyway, I'll talk to them and ask them to check suspension/drivetrain when I take her for the 20K service.

-Vivek
Old 13th December 2015, 09:25   #7642
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Dear bp74, I don't think it is because of the fuel level. Because, I had faced this during a long trip as well, when I had to go through city traffic on the way - at that time the tank was almost full.
I too face this issue. But I had thought that this has to do with the fuel movement, because there it comes from the rear and there is nothing else that moves around. And the sound comes after a while the clutch is engaged and also when the car comes to a stop after braking (clutch disengaged all the while). The delayed sound makes me think that it is the fuel.
Old 13th December 2015, 16:04   #7643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I too face this issue. But I had thought that this has to do with the fuel movement, because there it comes from the rear and there is nothing else that moves around. And the sound comes after a while the clutch is engaged and also when the car comes to a stop after braking (clutch disengaged all the while). The delayed sound makes me think that it is the fuel.
Mine seems to be slightly different - the sound is heard when the car is on the move - sequence of events is like this -

- depress the clutch fully
- shift from first to second gear
- (I hear the sound almost immediately after slotting the gear to second)
- release the clutch

I'll verify this sequence once again when I take him out in city traffic this evening

-Vivek
Old 13th December 2015, 22:30   #7644
BHPian

Quote:
Mine seems to be slightly different - the sound is heard when the car is on the move - sequence of events is like this -

- release the clutch

I'll verify this sequence once again when I take him out in city traffic this evening

-Vivek
I have not faced this problem in my new cheetah, but my two cents on this.
Since it isn't fuel in the tank sloshing around and it definitely isn't the clutch have you ruled out the muffler & silencer. This issue was there in my Indica and it went off after I changed the rubber hooks which anchor the silencer to the underbody, also there is a ring where the silencer & muffler join (in Indica there is one but I have no idea abut the cheetah please confirm from your service mgr) there was excessive play in the joint because of this ring being loose and there was a thud sound whenever the clutch engaged. The A.S.S just wound some heat tape/asbestos rope around the ring for a tight fit. I haven't heard the sound again.
Please see if this solves your issue.
Old 15th December 2015, 09:11   #7645
BHPian

Quote:
There is a long standing niggle though - when I shift from first to second gear, I hear a "thud" sound - it seems to be coming from the rear. The sound is only heard when shifting from first to second !!! I had posted a query in the XUV500 niggles thread sometime back, but it seems nobody else is facing this specific issue. As always, I have now got used to that sound.
Quote:
Quote:
-Vivek
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Quote:

- release the clutch

-Vivek
Hey Guys,

I have not experienced this problem yet but if the sound comes only when you shift from first to second gear in bumper to bumper traffic then I may have a solution that works for you.

Here's what I usually do in bumper to bumper traffic especially if the clutch needs to be continuously engaged:
1. I NEVER slot it into first gear.
2. Gradually/Slowly disengage the clutch while in second gear so that the engine doesn't switch off (no need to press the accelerator) and the car moves. I press the accelerator, if required, only after the clutch has been completely disengaged in the second gear.
3. If you need to halt completely, put the car in neutral and when you are ready to move engage the second gear directly and repeat the steps above.

Since you are never in first gear, you should never hear the 'thud'. This should work at least till M&M find the root cause of the problem and come up with a fix.

Cheers
Old 15th December 2015, 19:04   #7646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
I have not faced this problem in my new cheetah, but my two cents on this.
Since it isn't fuel in the tank sloshing around and it definitely isn't the clutch have you ruled out the muffler & silencer. This issue was there in my Indica and it went off after I changed the rubber hooks which anchor the silencer to the underbody, also there is a ring where the silencer & muffler join (in Indica there is one but I have no idea abut the cheetah please confirm from your service mgr) there was excessive play in the joint because of this ring being loose and there was a thud sound whenever the clutch engaged. The A.S.S just wound some heat tape/asbestos rope around the ring for a tight fit. I haven't heard the sound again.
Please see if this solves your issue.
Thanks RajeVenu - will check with the service advisor during the 20K service - probably sometime end of this month or early next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post
Hey Guys,

Here's what I usually do in bumper to bumper traffic especially if the clutch needs to be continuously engaged:

Since you are never in first gear, you should never hear the 'thud'. This should work at least till M&M find the root cause of the problem and come up with a fix.

Cheers
Thanks Achyu. I'm ok with slotting in second gear and trying to move the vehicle - but one doubt - will it not unnecessarily strain the clutch and shorten its life?
In my case, the sound is not loud, it is a mild thud which I can also feel in my left leg (sound is heard only after driving for some time in bumper to bumper traffic). But, you need to listen carefully (normally, I can't hear the sound when playing music - so you got what I mean) to catch that sound. One thing I'm not sure is whether this sound is due to some mechanical failure or transmission issues - which has the potential to cause problems in the long run.

-Vivek
Old 15th December 2015, 19:22   #7647
BHPian

Quote:
In my case, the sound is not loud, it is a mild thud which I can also feel in my left leg (sound is heard only after driving for some time in bumper to bumper traffic). But, you need to listen carefully (normally, I can't hear the sound when playing music - so you got what I mean) to catch that sound. One thing I'm not sure is whether this sound is due to some mechanical failure or transmission issues - which has the potential to cause problems in the long run.

-Vivek
Check whether this noise is from the clutch pedal spring. This noise is a damped "ting" kind of sound. You can check for this sound in static condition as well.

Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 10:35   #7648
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Achyu. I'm ok with slotting in second gear and trying to move the vehicle - but one doubt - will it not unnecessarily strain the clutch and shorten its life?
I don't think so. It is the same mechanism as with the first gear. Simply disengage it in a gradual manner. Your car should move and not even vibrate. As long as you don't press the accelerator at the same time, you should be fine.

Cheers
Old 17th December 2015, 23:09   #7649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Check whether this noise is from the clutch pedal spring. This noise is a damped "ting" kind of sound. You can check for this sound in static condition as well.

Thanks
The noise is not heard when the car is stationary. I have tried that multiple times, but could not reproduce the sound. Heard only while it is moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyu View Post
I don't think so. It is the same mechanism as with the first gear. Simply disengage it in a gradual manner. Your car should move and not even vibrate. As long as you don't press the accelerator at the same time, you should be fine.

Cheers
Thanks achyu for that information. Will try that as well (not too comfortable doing that) - but I'll try it during city traffic when I start hearing the thud sound.

-Vivek
Old 18th December 2015, 10:04   #7650
BHPian

Quote:
The noise is not heard when the car is stationary. I have tried that multiple times, but could not reproduce the sound. Heard only while it is moving.

Thanks achyu for that information. Will try that as well (not too comfortable doing that) - but I'll try it during city traffic when I start hearing the thud sound.

-Vivek
Just ensure you have pressed the clutch pedal fully and release it slowly / gradually. It should help. This sound is basically clutch being released quickly (from my experience with the city traffic)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks