Old 1st November 2013, 18:37   #5056
J.Ravi

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Congrats on finalising the vehicle.
Thank you, CARDEEP.

Quote:
Can be bothersome in hot & humid conditions.
In today's weather conditions at Chennai, I did not feel any sweat when only the fan was working instead of ACC. But, it is optional and could be switched off during summer months.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 1st November 2013 at 18:40.

Old 1st November 2013, 20:15   #5057
Senior - BHPian

I have a question. What about the idling time for the turbocharger? How does Mahindra address it for this Micro hybrid concept?
Old 1st November 2013, 21:38   #5058
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
What about the idling time for the turbocharger? How does Mahindra address it for this Micro hybrid concept?
The micro-hybrid technology will act only after travelling a few km at the designed speed. It will not act [i] when the car is cold-started and idling at standstill before moving and [ii] when activated while being in standstill. Similarly, it will not act consequently if the car is not moved for a few km at a certain speed.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 1st November 2013 at 21:43.

Old 2nd November 2013, 00:37   #5059

The wait is over. She is here. I call her the Black Hawk. The night before was too long, even challenging the winter solstice. The girls (read wifey and my 2 angels) got read and the auto ride to Global Gallarie, my dealership, was full of anxiety - the anticipation, how Black Hawk will look, the drive, more so can I drive a big car blah blah blah. Paper work done after some confusion which the dealership could have better avoided and I was all set to rev it up. She roared and the flight was ready for takeoff. My W8 dream is a reality. The response to my driving style, the ability to manoeuvre short corner, response on the shifts, the infotainment console - everything was made for me. I haven't driven a lot today but all I can say that Black Hawk is piece of art and I am standing and just admiring it. Watch out this space for more.
adityarath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 13:55   #5060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I had the second and the third test-drive yesterday and today respectively. I liked the micro-hybrid technology that automatically puts the engine in standby mode 2.5 seconds after stopping in neutral without pressing the clutch pedal. XUV5OO roars back if I pressed the clutch pedal again! This feature is a boon in city signalized junctions that saves the precious fuel. Contrary to popular beliefs, XUV5OO's width [1890 mm] is less than that of my Linea [1946 mm].
My daughter liked Opulent Purple. So, I may go in for that colour.
There s some mistake. Th width of linea is 1730 mm. Xuv certainly is much more roomier.
My daughter too loved the purple shade
manasmadaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 14:09   #5061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityarath View Post
The wait is over. She is here. I call her the Black Hawk. The night before was too long, even challenging the winter solstice. The girls (read wifey and my 2 angels) got read and the auto ride to Global Gallarie, my dealership, was full of anxiety - the anticipation, how Black Hawk will look, the drive, more so can I drive a big car blah blah blah. Paper work done after some confusion which the dealership could have better avoided and I was all set to rev it up. She roared and the flight was ready for takeoff. My W8 dream is a reality. The response to my driving style, the ability to manoeuvre short corner, response on the shifts, the infotainment console - everything was made for me. I haven't driven a lot today but all I can say that Black Hawk is piece of art and I am standing and just admiring it. Watch out this space for more.
Congrats for the purchase. I too loved the black colour but did not want beige interiors so went for purple . Must say looks amazing. And seems they have improved a lot of things in the new XUV:
1. Brakes: feel a lot better now (But brakes in my linea were awesome)
2. Clutch: No problem with it.
3. Infotainment system is just awesome although
- they could have improved the song search system
- use of phone through a button on the steering would have been much
better.
- Voice control for calling should have been there.
4. Interiors to me look just brilliant. There are a few iffy areas but on the
whole they are more than acceptable.
5. Suspension: much improved than before.
6. Music system: feels much better than my linea (it was just pathetic)
7. Hill hold: Tried it thrice and it worked flawlessly.
8. Cruise control: worked fine
9. Handling: having driven a linea for 3.5 years, XUV s handling certainly surprised me. it handled the corners pretty good although it would be foolish
of me to expect linea like handling

All in all, i am pretty excited to say the least with my purchase
Old 2nd November 2013, 14:24   #5062
BHPian

Some snaps of the purple beauty
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20131031_170605.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20131031_170657.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20131031_170706.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20131031_171709.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20131102_123836.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20131102_123847.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20131102_130026.jpg  

manasmadaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 14:29   #5063
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations manasmadaan!

I came across another recent XUV picture in the morning and it was pointed out by a fellow XUV-owner that -
1. The new lot is coming with the words "Mahindra" and "XUV5OO" pasted significantly higher on the hatch door.
2. The "W8" has been moved from right fender to the hatch door.
3. New "Live Young, Live Free" sticker on the rear glass.

Seeing your pics, all the above points seem to be confirmed. Did you notice any other change on the outside or inside?
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 14:33   #5064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Congratulations manasmadaan!

I came across another recent XUV picture in the morning and it was pointed out by a fellow XUV-owner that -
1. The new lot is coming with the words "Mahindra" and "XUV5OO" pasted significantly higher on the hatch door.
2. The "W8" has been moved from right fender to the hatch door.
3. New "Live Young, Live Free" sticker on the rear glass.

Seeing your pics, all the above points seem to be confirmed. Did you notice any other change on the outside or inside?
Thanks
No other cosmetic changes inside out that i could make out. These three changes were the only ones told by my SA too.
Old 2nd November 2013, 20:01   #5065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
FYI, the micro hybrid in action, also means that the AC compressor is switched off after 2.5 seconds when the engine is in standby mode....
It will also take a toll on battery as the vehicle requires frequent restarts.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 2nd November 2013 at 20:02.
Old 2nd November 2013, 20:24   #5066
BHPian

^^^
Yeah Agree with you. But Micro-Hybrid is a proven technology right? The battery designed might have tweaked to suit it for frequent ON/OFF duty cycle. Have you faced this issue? Anyways those who have experienced this can comment on this.
Old 2nd November 2013, 20:29   #5067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
....managed to take a U turn in our 24' wide narrow street!...
The turning radius of XUV is indeed a big surprise for a Punto/Linea owner. I am clueless why on earth Fiat cars take such acres and acres of ground to take U-turns.

There is no point of technically comparing a SUV with a hatch/sedan. But, there are numerous differences between these two vehicles and it is fun to compare them both in a non-tech manner. The XUV, while loaded with frills, lacks several of useful features that you'll see in the Punto/Linea E/EP versions. Two examples are a. one-touch express up of driver window and b. an instant alert that shows which door is ajar. It simply says "door ajar" in XUV.

Another example is if you refill the car while the low fuel light is on and the engine is on, the fuel gauge remain in red even if you fill full tank in Punto. You need to restart the car to get the correct fuel reading. In the XUV the progress bar will lit up (progress) gradually when the car being refueled.

Fiat's approach is correct because as per rule you must turn the engine off before attempting to refuel. M&M is also correct because they know we Indians love to break rules.

@MaxTorque, I am not using this feature; when you go through the niggles thread you will find several instances of bulbs going kaput etc because of the XUV's (allegedly) unstable electrical design. I decided not to stress-test the vehicle since the nearest service station is 50kms from where I live.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 2nd November 2013 at 20:35.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 22:27   #5068
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Th width of linea is 1730 mm.
I measured the width of my Linea from ORVM to ORVM [both open] and found to be 1946 mm. The owner's handbook also says so. But, the width is mentioned as 1730 mm in the FIAT India's website perhaps with the ORVMs closed.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-lineawidth.jpg

I also measured my street's width and found to be 24'.

Old 2nd November 2013, 22:58   #5069
BHPian

Is the second row seats in the XUV reclinable? It was mentioned in the review but I was not able to locate the feature on the website. Can someone confirm this?
Old 2nd November 2013, 23:05   #5070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorquePeedo View Post
Is the second row seats in the XUV reclinable? It was mentioned in the review but I was not able to locate the feature on the website. Can someone confirm this?
Yes it is 3-position recline. Pull the lever on the upper corner of the seat and adjust to the desired position.
superbhikari is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks