Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2013, 21:34   #4936
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
I am in a dilemma. Actually i am confused between XUV and elantra. I know both are completely different vehicles but I like both of them. Both are almost equal features wise although elantra scores well in terms of reliability and ASS. XUV is much spacious in the 2nd row although i must admit that last row seats will seldom be used.
Both look VFM to me and XUV gives me a bit more options to explore but i am completely bold over by the looks, quality and interiors of elantra. Utterly confused to say the least.
Its actually very simple. If most of your driving is in the city, pick up the Elantra. Absolutely goregeous vehicle, love the interiors.

If you spend a lot of time on highways, pick up the XUV. Super comfy and composed on highways.
Old 6th October 2013, 21:51   #4937
BHPian

Thanks for the input. Most of my driving ll be in City but I plan some really long trips on highway. One to goa is planned next year. But I guess Elantra should also be a relaxed highway cruiser.
Old 6th October 2013, 23:05   #4938
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Most of my driving ll be in City but I plan some really long trips on highway. One to goa is planned next year. But I guess Elantra should also be a relaxed highway cruiser.
As the contenders are so very different, it also depends on your personal specs / requirements; for instance, while I love driving sedans (have had an Ikon for 10+ years now) I have decided that all future rides will most likely be UVs. The reason is simply that with my height (6'6") and girth (xxx ;-)) driving sedans gets to be a bit strenuous and I so adore the natural sitting position an UV offers. See if thre're are any such things that can help you come to a clear conclusion. Cheers!
Old 6th October 2013, 23:10   #4939
BHPian

I would like to know how s xuv as a routine City ride in terms of ease of driving and parking. These 2 are the main reasons that I am looking at a Sedan otherwise xuv it is for me.
Old 7th October 2013, 13:14   #4940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know how s xuv as a routine City ride in terms of ease of driving and parking. These 2 are the main reasons that I am looking at a Sedan otherwise xuv it is for me.
We use our XUV only within the city. Our's is a big family of tall people, hence the need for a SUV.

If you are used to driving SUVs, trust me, they are more comfortable within the city than a sedan because -

1) The higher seating position ensures greater visibility
2) You can also see the corners of your vehicle easily, which means you can drive confidently in bumper to bumper traffic
3) You dont have to slow down to a snail's pace for potholes and huge speedbreakers
4) Cabs and rickshaws dont cut in front of you too often (because your's is a bigger vehicle!), so driving is more relaxed

I have been driving a Civic (earlier a Punto) and a XUV (earlier a Scorpio) within city for quite some time now. I feel the Civic is easier to drive only because it is an Automatic. In every other sense, the XUV is a better choice for me within the city. On the highways, it is the king! I have always felt that the XUV is made with the highways in mind!

When it comes to parking, again the XUV is almost as long as the Elantra. Again, XUV comes with rear sensors and you can even install a rear camera if you want, like we did. Now, I am more comfortable parking the XUV than the Civic. Also, I feel more confident because I know I wont scrape the XUV if I overrun it onto a footpath or kerb while parking!
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 13:50   #4941
BHPian

Well, if we are talking about bumper to bumper City traffic, with the short 1st and 2nd gears, you'll not be happy with the ride. If it's regular city traffic and you can manage in 2nd and 3rd no issues, it's a great car. However this thing is built for the highways. Fantastic highway manners.
Old 7th October 2013, 16:51   #4942
BHPian

Hi,
Now that it is certain that I am getting my Xuv 5OO w8 silver delivered this Friday. I have finalised freebies accessories as following:
Chrome allure - headlamp bezel, tail light, orvm cover, front grill, rear door ( however I couldn't get chrome strip which runs from the front door to the back. I was told that it is not available by m&m. Is that true?)
Illuminated scuff plates
Reverse camera - any preferred location for the reverse camera?
Transparent floor mat

I opted out of Teflon coating and under body coating upon reading Experts on this thread.

Still I want to make sure that I have not missed anything or mis understood opinions on body treatment packages. Any suggestions on missed item, as I want to be done with accessory part for near future.

I have mountable DVD player at home but dealer sales guy discouraged me from installing it as w8 already has DVD player. Should I still go for it? It will be self driven but would do good amount of long drives.

Regarding pdi any special suggestion for this beast? Or the std team bhp Pdi will do? I also plan to take it on 4k long drive after 21 days so just want to be sure about any issues with my new car.

Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 17:18   #4943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi,
Now that it is certain that I am getting my Xuv 5OO w8 silver delivered this Friday. I have finalised freebies accessories as following:
Chrome allure - headlamp bezel, tail light, orvm cover, front grill, rear door ( however I couldn't get chrome strip which runs from the front door to the back. I was told that it is not available by m&m. Is that true?)
Just a suggestion -

Avoid all these chrome fittings. It is out of style now and looks very taxi-ish! However, I understand personal opinions may differ, so its upto you.

Quote:
Reverse camera - any preferred location for the reverse camera?
Try to get it fixed on the black part at the bottom of the bumper, the way I have done in my car. That way, it wont stick out like a sore thumb on the silver bumper.

Quote:
Transparent floor mat
The mats from M&M are useless. If you are willing, get 3D mats. They cost about 6.5k though.

Quote:
I have mountable DVD player at home but dealer sales guy discouraged me from installing it as w8 already has DVD player. Should I still go for it? It will be self driven but would do good amount of long drives.
The DVD player in the XUV wont work when the vehicle is moving...
Old 7th October 2013, 17:34   #4944
BHPian

2 weeks back when I dropped in at the A.S.S for some running repair, my RM informed me of a coupon for free car spa which I understand includes teflon coating and interior cleaning. I didnt get it done at the time as I was in an emergency, however the same was noted down as pending and was agreed to be done at a later time.

Anyone out here got this freebie done. After reading the numerous threads on teflon coating in Tbhp, I too am not keen on this. But then would not mind getting the free polish done and in the process clean up some of the light scratches and swirl marks. But end of day dont want it to lead up to a further mess. Especially with the color being purple.

FundaG
Old 7th October 2013, 18:25   #4945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
2 weeks back when I dropped in at the A.S.S for some running repair, my RM informed me of a coupon for free car spa which I understand includes teflon coating and interior cleaning. I didnt get it done at the time as I was in an emergency, however the same was noted down as pending and was agreed to be done at a later time.

Anyone out here got this freebie done. After reading the numerous threads on teflon coating in Tbhp, I too am not keen on this. But then would not mind getting the free polish done and in the process clean up some of the light scratches and swirl marks. But end of day dont want it to lead up to a further mess. Especially with the color being purple.

FundaG
What a timing

I just got this SPA done yesterday as i had to send my car for Low beam and fog light replacement also bonnet sensor replacement. I had this spa due for quite a long time as whenever i used to ask my RM to do it, he used to say that it will take time as its done as the last thing, hence could result in car delay or next day delivery. This time finally they did it. Well to be true, i was not that much surprised to see the cleaning. Outside looked good, but from inside, i could still see few leftovers between front seats (pieces of chips etc). They didnt took much efforts to vacuum in between seats that resulted in minus 5 in my books
Old 7th October 2013, 18:43   #4946

Dear BHPians!

What are the best options available for sun blinds and Car cover for XUV? Since many have been debating about the marks that car covers leave on the paint i just want to be cautious about my decision. Any specific brand / fabric / type that one should look for. Also came across this option for Sunblinds from Polco:
http://www.polcoindia.com/side-front-sunblind.html

Thanks!
Old 8th October 2013, 07:54   #4947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Well, if we are talking about bumper to bumper City traffic, with the short 1st and 2nd gears, you'll not be happy with the ride. If it's regular city traffic and you can manage in 2nd and 3rd no issues, it's a great car. However this thing is built for the highways. Fantastic highway manners.
Its usual City traffic here in amritsar. Bumper to bumper traffic is a rarity here. I know about the excellent highway drivability of XUV and that s why I am more inclined towards it. Any knowledge about the infamous niggles? I believe must of them have been sorted out. Anything still remaining or a new one?
Old 8th October 2013, 09:13   #4948
BHPian

I have a 2013 manufactured vehicle and I haven't come across any glaring niggles till date. I haven't heard of major ones in the latest batches.
I however find the brakes inadequate during my city commute. But over a period of time, you may get used to it, if this is your only vehicle.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 10:26   #4949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
What a timing

I just got this SPA done yesterday as i had to send my car for Low beam and fog light replacement also bonnet sensor replacement. I had this spa due for quite a long time as whenever i used to ask my RM to do it, he used to say that it will take time as its done as the last thing, hence could result in car delay or next day delivery. This time finally they did it. Well to be true, i was not that much surprised to see the cleaning. Outside looked good, but from inside, i could still see few leftovers between front seats (pieces of chips etc). They didnt took much efforts to vacuum in between seats that resulted in minus 5 in my books
So for the exteriors was it actually teflon coating or just polishing. My RM was mentioning Teflon coating as part of the spa treatment. So if it was teflon coating, did they provide any guarantee or any time period to retouch the same. After reading some of the threads on teflon coating, am not that sure if I want to go for it.

FundaG
Old 8th October 2013, 12:16   #4950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
If underbody and other so-called 'treatments' had been so important, wouldn't the car manufacturers themselves provided it in their million+ Rupee cars? What value addition a few minutes of superficial spraying (that too without proper surface preparation, which is of paramount importance) provide to the hours of high-tech painting provided by the car maker?

I have owned a few cars over the years and I never went for underbody or any other 'treatment' though I dearly love my cars and try to maintain them perfectly. None of my cars (including a 1988 model Maruti 800) suffered any abnormal underbody corrosion though I lived in places like Lonavla (massive rains, almost 100% humidity during monsoons) and Vizag / Bombay (saline environment).
Debuda I fully agree with your views that the cars today gets an underbody treatment from the factory itself and noting more is required to be done till you scrap the underbody against bumpers or any hard objects.

At the same time the thick rubberised paint that forms a 2-3 mm thick coating on cars also act as effective sound dampeners. They can reduce road noise and tyre noise and make the cabin seem quieter – due to the sound absorptive nature of rubberized paints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny.ganju View Post
Thanks for the valuable advice sir! It'll help save me 10k straight. But if incase one wants to maintain the original shine after a year is it advisable to go for this treatment or regular cleaning polishing should help us maintain the original colour quality.
Vinny the Teflon coating is said to protect the car from swirl marks and scratches caused by dust and cleaning with a dirty cloth. However, it will not last for more than 3/4 months. You can also do this yourself by using a hard wax polish after every six months to one year period to maintain the polish of the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi,
I opted out of Teflon coating and under body coating upon reading Experts on this thread.

Still I want to make sure that I have not missed anything or mis understood opinions on body treatment packages. Any suggestions on missed item, as I want to be done with accessory part for near future.
For both of you there is a brilliant thread for car detailing : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...guide-533.html
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks