Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:43   #4906
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Booked W8, Tuscan Red.
Delivery in 4- 6 months.

Even I was surprised as to why such a long waiting period.
The SA at India Garage, Chennai told me that the car is produced only as to order and there are no cars with him at stock.

I had a huge confusion to choose the colour.
White and Red were the options I had to choose from, and the beige interiors in the White and its commonality saw me listed to Tuscan red.

Now the wait begins, and the anxiety too
4-5 months. How is this even possible? Dude he is quoting you a waiting period of Ford Ecosport!! When amost all of us are getting the delivery of the same model in 15-30 days, Ii don't think situation with you should be any different. Even my dealer did not have the model in stock but then I booked the car on 14th Sept. and I will be taking delivery on Monday!
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:48   #4907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny.ganju View Post
Also have heard a lot about the 3D Kagu floor mats. are they worth it? Because the showroom is offering only the Deziner mats in rubber or Transparent ( which of these is a better bet?) Also the showroom guys wont fit the 3D mats even if we purchase from outside. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
3D Kagu look extremely stylish but a lot of people say that they don't last long. Also have a look at 3M Nomad mats. They are nt as stylish as 3D Kagu (in fact not stylish at all) but they have some amazing technology which sucks the dust and water and leaves nothing at the surface.
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:56   #4908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
i really really need all the help i can get with regards to buying an XUV5OO. i have read the reviews and am fairly sure that this is what i want
You cannot go wrong with the XUV, it's an excellent vehicle. It's not an SUV nor a Car, it's a cross-over. Since you come from the Honda, it's going to make you feel good. It's a monocoque and not a ladder on frame like SUVs

What you could do is call up home and ask them to drop the City off at a used car dealer, also book the XUV since it has a waiting period. That way, your ride would be standing at home ready when you arrive
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:56   #4909

Beat the price hike by paying up the ex showroom price the day before yesterday. Talk about "getting a foot in the door". That after booking the vehicle 10 days ago. Arrived at the yard last night and the dealer arranged for an inspection this evening. Absolutely thrilling to see her in the flesh.
Old 3rd October 2013, 20:17   #4910
BHPian

Quote:
Also have heard a lot about the 3D Kagu floor mats. are they worth it? Because the showroom is offering only the Deziner mats in rubber or Transparent ( which of these is a better bet?) Also the showroom guys wont fit the 3D mats even if we purchase from outside. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Why don't you try this DIY for making nice looking 3D mats? It is very cost effective solution also I am sure you will be very satisfied.
Old 4th October 2013, 07:13   #4911
BHPian

Indian Autos Blog, reports that Mahindra is ready with a strip down version of XUV500 labelled as W4. Looks like an interesting move.

Some excerpts from the article

" it lacks the 6-inch touchscreen infotainment display, DVD player, tyre pressure sensor, parking assistant, rain sensing wipers and light sensing headlamps.

In safety, the W4 features dual airbags, and ABS with EBD, but misses out on ESP, Hill Hold and Hill Descent control. Cosmetically, the car does not have front foglamps, twin exhaust tips, roof rails or cladding strips."

Detailed specs have been given below.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mahindraxuv500w4variantfeatures.jpg  

MaxTorque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 12:46   #4912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Indian Autos Blog, reports that Mahindra is ready with a strip down version of XUV500 labelled as W4. Looks like an interesting move.

" it lacks the 6-inch touchscreen infotainment display, DVD player, tyre pressure sensor, parking assistant, rain sensing wipers and light sensing headlamps.

In safety, the W4 features dual airbags, and ABS with EBD, but misses out on ESP, Hill Hold and Hill Descent control. Cosmetically, the car does not have front foglamps, twin exhaust tips, roof rails or cladding strips."

Detailed specs have been given below.
Apart from what you have mentioned. This model does not have :
- Telescopic adjustment for steering
-Leather /Premium fabric upholstery.
-Power foldable OVRMs
-Cruise Control
-Audio,Phone controls and voice command switches on steering
-Puddle Lamps
-Door ajar lamps
-No reading lamps in 2nd and 3rd rows

I have a question here. Why is Mahindra coming up with this model. This is no competition to Ford Ecosport or the other inexpensive crossovers yet to be launched. I mean come on you don't even have music control on steering, leather seats, door ajar lamps, touchscreen display etc. Why would someone buy this? Just because of the big size and the engine? No, I don't think so. IMHO, this is a recipe for failure if M&M is actually heading this way.
Old 4th October 2013, 14:06   #4913
SDP
Team-BHP Support

For ease of reading, I have marked the features reduced/different (from W6) in red rectangles:

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mahindraxuv500w4variantfeatures-sdp.jpg
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:10   #4914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is this for real ?

Quote:
I have a question here. Why is Mahindra coming up with this model. This is no competition to Ford Ecosport or the other inexpensive crossovers yet to be launched. I mean come on you don't even have music control on steering, leather seats, door ajar lamps, touchscreen display etc. Why would someone buy this?
Well for people who dont want the fancy gadgets (including me) but need the space and utility of such a vehicle its great news. All the important features have been retained. I just hope M&M price it correctly.
faithless_1984 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 14:17   #4915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_torque133 View Post
Apart from what you have mentioned. This model does not have :
- Telescopic adjustment for steering
-Leather /Premium fabric upholstery.
-Power foldable OVRMs
-Cruise Control
-Audio,Phone controls and voice command switches on steering
-Puddle Lamps
-Door ajar lamps
-No reading lamps in 2nd and 3rd rows

I have a question here. Why is Mahindra coming up with this model. This is no competition to Ford Ecosport or the other inexpensive crossovers yet to be launched. I mean come on you don't even have music control on steering, leather seats, door ajar lamps, touchscreen display etc. Why would someone buy this? Just because of the big size and the engine? No, I don't think so. IMHO, this is a recipe for failure if M&M is actually heading this way.
On the other hand, I feel that this is exactly what the XUV might need to boost up its sales. If this W4 is priced at around 11 - 12 lakhs, some people might be interested in at least checking out the vehicle. Also, the even this version is equipped with both airbags and EBS+ABD, which in my opinion is a far better move then stripping out them and retaining touch screen HU, rain sensing wipers etc.

From the ownership logs, I see that every owner of the XUV is satisfied with the ride quality and the car in general and its the electronics which are being a problem. Also, the top of the line duster does not have any (or most) of the omissions mentioned above and still continues to sell so the W4 variant will definitely have a market.

The only downside might be more XUV's = less premium ness for the XUV owners but I am not sure if Mahindra has taken that into account
Old 4th October 2013, 15:01   #4916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
On the other hand, I feel that this is exactly what the XUV might need to boost up its sales. If this W4 is priced at around 11 - 12 lakhs, some people might be interested in at least checking out the vehicle. Also, the even this version is equipped with both airbags and EBS+ABD, which in my opinion is a far better move then stripping out them and retaining touch screen HU, rain sensing wipers etc.

From the ownership logs, I see that every owner of the XUV is satisfied with the ride quality and the car in general and its the electronics which are being a problem. Also, the top of the line duster does not have any (or most) of the omissions mentioned above and still continues to sell so the W4 variant will definitely have a market.

The only downside might be more XUV's = less premium ness for the XUV owners but I am not sure if Mahindra has taken that into account

Well, good move from Mahindra from a business perspective. But not so great news for the existing owners. More sales = less exclusivity

Wondering if Mahindra would bolster their already overwhelmed service network for the XUV. The RM's would literally tear their hair out seeing the rise in number of cars. Would the W4 customers get individual RM's assigned to them?

Last edited by Sisu : 4th October 2013 at 15:10.
Old 4th October 2013, 15:16   #4917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post

Well for people who dont want the fancy gadgets (including me) but need the space and utility of such a vehicle its great news. All the important features have been retained. I just hope M&M price it correctly.
I think Xylo fits the bill for this requirement ? Having used it for almost 5 years, I can tell you that tt has great space and is good utility vehicle for a family. One of the reasons I upgraded to XUV was for its premium tag and that is currently at stake
vinucv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 18:49   #4918
Senior - BHPian

And here goes the exclusiveness of XUV. Welcome to the "Taxi Club"
Old 4th October 2013, 18:54   #4919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
And here goes the exclusiveness of XUV. Welcome to the "Taxi Club"
Taxi owners wont buy the XUV. They may still buy the base model Innova after putting in a bit more money.

Cab operators value reliability, brand name, space (in 3rd row as well) and fuel efficiency.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 19:09   #4920
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians

i had a small query regarding the car care package that these dealers recommend. Please suggest which of the below items is a must for XUV:

1.Upper body paint protection
2.Under Body Paint Protection
3.Engine PU coating
4.Silencer coating
IMHO, the business of underbody treatments, protective coating for upper body paint, engine coatings, etc., is nothing short of a scam. It's a low investment, high margin business and each and every car dealer is into it big time, the main objective being to make the car-owner waste some more of his money (having just signed a cheque for many lakhs to buy a brand new car, spending an additional few thousands appears no big deal to the customer, especially when the smooth talking sales guy convinces him that the additional few thousands are essential to protect his lakhs).

Let us remind ourselves that we are no longer living in the age of ancient Ambassadors and Fiats. Automotive painting technology has come a long way since then. All modern Indian cars receive a multi-stage surface preparation and coating treatment. The entire car body (with doors, bonnet and hatch in place) is immersed in huge tanks containing pickling chemicals which first make the bare metal surface completely free of rust, etc. Other immersion baths apply a highly adherent corrosion-resistant primer electrolytically. Then follow alternate cycles of baking and painting. The final outcome of this elaborate multi-stage process is that all steel surfaces, including nooks and crannies, are provided with multiple layers of long-lasting protection against moisture and oxygen, the two enemies of steel as far as corrosion is concerned.

If underbody and other so-called 'treatments' had been so important, wouldn't the car manufacturers themselves provided it in their million+ Rupee cars? What value addition a few minutes of superficial spraying (that too without proper surface preparation, which is of paramount importance) provide to the hours of high-tech painting provided by the car maker?

I have owned a few cars over the years and I never went for underbody or any other 'treatment' though I dearly love my cars and try to maintain them perfectly. None of my cars (including a 1988 model Maruti 800) suffered any abnormal underbody corrosion though I lived in places like Lonavla (massive rains, almost 100% humidity during monsoons) and Vizag / Bombay (saline environment).
debuda is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks