Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 23:43   #16

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

Saw it, loved it and booked it on Oct 1st and now the re-affirmation makes it even more worthwhile!

Thanks for the review guys, just hope now mahindra can do better than the 25th March delivery date they've given me.
Old 13th October 2011, 23:49   #17
BHPian

Excellent review Manson and team.

Was eagerly waiting for the detailed report. As usual top notch work.

As put by GTO it only waits to be seen how the electronics etc. of the XUV 5OO will fare in the long run. I hope they do not disappoint.

This vehicle is indeed a "game- changer".

Thank you.
BIG SARAN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 23:50   #18
BHPian

Absoloutely fantastic review.
The wait for review was as much worthwhile as for the vehicle itself.

I am sure many Bhpians who were sitting on the fence would pick up the green signal for a buy (only after booking reopen)

BTW while interacting with Mahindra guys did you get a clue as to there most conservative target sale. I think they goofed up big time estimating the market response. Else there would never have been such a long waiting period.

Few questions:

IF hypothetically we assume Aria was or will be priced similar what would be your take?

DO you think this will reshape the entire SUV/MUV/Xover market pricing.
Or because of the waiting period price war won't really start.

Does the seat belt at its lowest position likely to bite the neck of short people. (My wife can't usually wear seat belts without hurting herself even in their lowermost position)

Anyways thanks a lot for such wonderful review.

Rgds.
Old 13th October 2011, 23:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great review manson/ GTO, rated 5 stars.

Somehow I do remember staring at the XUV when I saw it in Delhi and its unbeatable as an overall package.
But somehow, I think that Aria appeals more to me more..since maybe it has to do with simple timeless design and logical straightforward interior treatment...or that charismatic silhouette. All it now needs is a competitive price.

But still, the polarizing front of the XUV aint my cup of tea. Its overdone, even in the interior with too many textures. The initial hoopla is amazing, but how long will mahindra be able to sustain it, only time will tell when its launched in rest of India soon after the vehicles are delivered. Long term reliability needs to be proven still.

Anyways, here's a shot of the green XUV. But for some reasons...I prefer a sexy yet simple nightshade black aria with gunmetal finish stock alloys.

Peace....

Last edited by Mpower : 14th October 2011 at 22:59.
sidindica is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 23:57   #20
BHPian

Went through the entire review felt like experiencing the XUV myself. Great detailed review as expected from team bhp. What was the mileage you got since you must have clocked a few hundred or more on it! An approximate figure will do.

Last edited by damodar : 14th October 2011 at 00:03.
Old 13th October 2011, 23:57   #21
BHPian

Great review Mason , Thanks GTO & team .
A small suggestion here is if team bhp reviews can move to video .A lot of features can be clearly explained in a video format then only pictures .

We can be part of the team bhp review as it happens on the road .
Ranga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 23:58   #22
BHPian

Superb review Manson and team. Just the report I was waiting for and it was definitely well worth for every bit of the pictures and every bit of the words used here. Kudos to the team-bhp!

One word aptly describes the 5-double-oh: It is a "game changer" for the Indian car manufacturers. This will truly showcase the indigenous car industry in the global automobile arena.

Nice review of the in-dash navigation system. Great to see a lot of thought has gone into the interface design and graphics.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:00   #23
BHPian

Excellent review. As GTO mentioned, if electric gizmos are reliable in long term; Mahindra has a winner in hand.

However, I think that XUV is gonna eat big chunk of Scorpio's share.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:18   #24

Was waiting for this. Excellent & detailed review as expected.

Wanted to make a booking, but the bookings are closed for all variants of XUV. Not sure when bookings will be opened back.

Waiting to get my hands on it
Old 14th October 2011, 00:19   #25
BHPian

Excellent Review Manson. went through the complete thread and XUV500 is certainly positioned as the best VFM SUV currently by M&M. great to see Indian buyer pays lot of attention VFM concept since more than 10K XUV have already been booked and the waiting time has increased to 5-6 months now

rated the thread with 5 stars.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review manson and very well summed up by GTO. I wonder if this superb pricing shall not rub onto the other vehicles just above and below the XUV price level. Read someplace that Safari prices are being revised downward to accommodate the Merlin. Surely TATA has a lot of brain storming to do regarding merlin pricing with the Mahindras sounding the war bugle with an excellent product at a affordable price.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:20   #27

Its a great product. Reminds me of 2002, when i was out shopping for a car with a 4 lac budget, zeroed in on the ZEN D, took a test drive of the scorpio and ended up buying a 6 lac base model scorpio. Done about 200000 kms on it. and am really glad i didnt buy the zen.

Been in the market for a new suv for the last year, infact was ready to shell out 24 L if necessary, was never satisfied with any of the products, but when i saw this XUV500, man, i was just smiling for the next one and a half hours!!!

Its just perfect, lower weight. 6 gears, hi power + great mileage when u need it!
Car like handling, AWD, just perfect. and the icing in the cake.... 120 KMPH @ 2200 rpm (scorpio = 3000rpm) WOW! now i guess cruising on this car would mean 150KMPH !

Unfortunately was travelling till Oct 5th, by the time i was back, they stopped bookings for AWD!!!

Great review.... in fact normally while reading a review, all the negatives would hit home, but after this XUV review, my take was, " Negatives?? Nah, thats ok"

Last edited by manson : 14th October 2011 at 12:46.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:33   #28
BHPian

First n foremost... THANKYOU Manson n Team for this BRILLIANT review.
You can't even imagine how many of us were waiting with nail biting nervousness for u to give an unbiased and INDEPTH review.
Truly proud to be associated with Team-BHP and overjoyed with my decision of booking the XUV.
Cheers

Last edited by sidwadia : 14th October 2011 at 00:36.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:33   #29
BHPian

Thank You Very much for this wonderful review. Very detailed as always.
As expected,aren't any negatives and decisions pending and tied with this reivew will trun green.
Hope M&M opens next bookings soon.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:33   #30
BHPian

Thank you for the great review. XUV5OO is a serious game changer in the Indian SUV market. With this the other manufacturers will face the heat and either they will cut down the price or include more features.

I have some questions though:

- How does it compare against Aria. As per the review it drives much better than Aria. How about the NVH levels? And how does the interior rate against Aria?

- I am always sceptical about the cars having lots of electronics. It is a very complex problem to make all electronics work together and have a fail safe mechanism in the event of any failure. In your opinion how does/will XUV handle this? I hope M&M have enough qualified Service Engineers to tackle this issue.

- Traditionally the true SUV's are RWD. The XUV is a FWD and is a soft roader. Do you see any long term issues in the Indian driving conditions taking in to the fact that most of the times XUV will be travelling in the interior rural parts of India.

Once again thank you for the great review. And thanks to M&M for bringing in such a good affordable vehicle to Indian masses.

-PK

Most Viewed