Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 10:50   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

Guess its the best one to come out of India. They still have time to get the keyfob changed! There might be some niggles here and there.
But anything else coming out of Mahindra would be guaranteed to match the best.
Old 14th October 2011, 10:52   #92
BHPian

Good Review Team....

Expecting Skoda Yeti price correction in coming months!!!

XUV 500 has given sleepless nights to most of the competitor's Marketing team members...
Old 14th October 2011, 10:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
One feature which I could not find an answer in the official review is : does the XUV500 have HID lamps..?
No. It only has projector shaped headlamps with normal halogen lamps.

I only hope it does not turn out to be like a cheap multi-utility knife of chinese origin where it has dozens and dozens of fitments but when the quality of steel is tested it ain't SS316 (like that of the Victorinox)!

Also one has to learn to live the squeaks and the creaks when one is paying 7 lac less than the benchmark product...

Last edited by dkaile : 14th October 2011 at 11:02.
Old 14th October 2011, 10:57   #94
naj
BHPian

Great review! Splendid!!
The XUV500 review was the most awaited one.

Those like me who were waiting for our official review before booking the XUV will have to wait for a couple of months for the bookins to reopen.l hope that there is no upward price revision when the bookings reopen. M & M should not as this attractive price is one of the deal breakers. Ofcourse the XUV is a great car, there is no denial about that.

Cheers.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:02   #95
BHPian

I especially loved the side airbags and the ac vents...being vertical attracts less dust into it. The LED and Hand brake rip-off was so back at one (Mahindra's Innovation is never complete)
Old 14th October 2011, 11:04   #96
Senior - BHPian

Spot on reviews guys. After reading the review, it certainly looks like all the 8000+ people who booked this car has certainly made a wise decision. They have covered features from one segment up for sure. The only acid test remains is the reliability of the parts that went into this beast. A great effort indeed from Mahindra
Old 14th October 2011, 11:13   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Frankly, the XUV5OO makes nearly all other SUVs (and many MUVs) look overpriced.

Mahindra would do well to make free pickup and drop-off mandatory for every XUV5OO sold.

P.S. : As a diehard Fortuner lover, and someone who termed the Fortuner as "the best 20 lakh SUV", I have to admit : The XUV owns the T! The only advantages that the Fortuner has are reliability (that's a biggie), offroad capability and better 3rd row / luggage space. In all other areas, the XUV is far superior...be it ride quality, handling, interiors (not finish, but overall package), equipment and price. A nearly 10 lakh premium is a lot of money for an SUV with rear drum brakes and a stiff ride.
You said it! The bit T is surely overpriced (and before someone insinuates, no I don't own it, but I am still entitled to say that). But the T's reliability isn't something to sneeze at. Although its short on the equipment list, whatever is provided 'just works', day in and day out. So, in some sense less is more. If M&M's gizmos break down soon or often, they'll be worse than not having them in the first place.

As for the pick up and drop off, Hyundai does it for our not so premium i10 auto too, so the XUV better do that.
Finally, thanks for the nice writeup. Some of it was already known given the extensive coverage, but I especially appreciate the off the road testing. I was concerned with the actual ground clearance and the brand new gearbox. But it looks like both those items are non-issues. I am waiting for my delivery schedule now.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:16   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
• GTO insists that a different radiator grill & simpler bumper can greatly improve the front-end design (for those who don't like the extreme touches). If you aren't keen on modifications, buy your XUV5OO in black or grey. A dark colour will greatly conceal the fuzzy touches.
Mods! I think this is the most comprehensive t-bhp review ever. Fittingly so, as the vehicle had been hotly anticipated.

I, like GTO, am a big fan of clean and straight flowing 'classy' lines. I like cars like Civic, 'new' Jetta, Punto. Classic, timeless designs.

So, the question is: Can something be done about the front end design? Is there any 'real option' to get it replaced either from Mahindra or from outside? I absolutely love the vehicle and this will most probably be fighting for a spot at my garage very soon (along with Jetta/Laura/Fluence -if facelifted diesel is still reasonable/Vento). I am ready to go to any reputed design modifier who can do this for me. I am ready to spend substantial moolah on it as well, if needed. Can some 'standard' company like DC be able to help me with this? I know I may be the minority here, but this could be a make or break in my decision...
Old 14th October 2011, 11:17   #99
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the official review Manson & GTO. Have been considering the XUV for the next fin year. But seems that at the rate at which the bookings are getting closed & looking at the delivery dates, we may have to book the vehicle atleast 6-7 months in advance!

I have a couple of questions though -

1) How does it compare with Innova & Aria in terms of
a) ride & handling?
b) engine performance & refinement?
c) cabin noise?
d) drivability in city?

2) Any idea on when the 170 bhp or A/T version will be launched?

3) Higher placement of speakers on the doors of XUV are better or bad?

By the way, Mahindra has a full 2 page Ad in the TOI stating that the bookings have been deffered for the moment citing huge amount of bookings are reason exceeding their plant capacity. Inconvenience is regretted! I liked the title - "XUV500 SOLD OUT" !!!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th October 2011 at 11:21.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:18   #100
Senior - BHPian

A great effort from Mahindra; the result is there for all to see by way of response in the showrooms. A lot of people from other cities are also seen booking the beast in Pune at least. Perhaps they may ask for registration in their own towns at time of delivery.

I would like to know if there is a version available without the 3rd row of seats. After all, there would be some who would want to use it purely as a 5 seater with the extra space. While I can imagine the 3 row of seats can be removed later, if the option is offered OEM then maybe the spare can be installed there instead of in the 'basement'?

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th October 2011 at 11:20.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:27   #101
Senior - BHPian

FANTASTIC. seriously, I never expected such a vehicle from the Indian tag

But, kudos to M&M. They have indeed worked nicely, and results are here for all to see. The interiors are very nice.

I LOVE those side profile. But not so much when it comes to rear.

Surely, a well written review. So, super like.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:30   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Love-me-or-hate-me facial design. Admittedly, opinions from those who viewed the XUV5OO in person were a lot more positive than those basing opinions on pictures. GTO finds the front repulsive:
Great review Manson.

And this car is for sure a Jaw dropping one. [Not sure if this was from a non Indian manufacturer, we would have praised it so much]
But yes, Mahindra has taken the game to the international level for sure. And it will find some takers outside India as well.

Only if the Chin was a little subtler, this car would have been the best looking car. I love the side profile and the rear 3/4 profile. Love the rear wheel arch and the rear window hunch. It sure does give it the Cheetah stance. And in white, it looks racy.

It needs better alloys though, preferably in white and not silver. For once, though the styling has been overdone, it doesn't tire the viewer. [I am tired of seeing the Verna on the roads, partly because its overstyled and partly because its so common ]

Hope Mahindra wins this game, and may they come with more such winners.
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 11:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

Manson and team thanks for the wonderful review and snaps.

One major learning for me in this was that it is to be called as "XUV 5 Double O" and not as "XUV Five Hundred"

I am sold on this SUV from Mahindra but for the luggage space.

In one of the snaps you have that Fuel Lid danngling down. Is that the way its always when opened or was it only in the test drive vehicle. Does not look very aesthetic IMO.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:47   #104
BHPian

When you launch a great product and you price it right , there is only
result -sold out.. and that was the caption in a two page ad in toi today.
Years of research ,development and hard work has paid off for Mahindra .
You know when u see an Indian Manufacturer launch a great product and
undercut the foreign brands in a mega way in terms of price ,you have to
give it to them .

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 14th October 2011 at 11:49.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:52   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
The Mahindra XUV5OO has been launched in India at a price of 10.80 - 12.88 Lakhs (ex-Delhi).
Excellent review manson. It was worth the wait.

And for me I guess it sort of seals it, " this is going to be my next vehicle, as and when the bookings reopen" and I am not sorry to eat my words "Never again a M&M Product" after not so good initial experience with my Scorpio (now it performs like a dream)
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks