Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 09:28   #766
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Saw it in flesh yesterday, first impression, its a car!!! It is nowhere close to Fortuner, Safary, Endy or Pajero in terms of size. To some extent it doesn't even come any close to Scorpio in looks department that the SUV should have. People are just going crazy behind the pricing,in my personal opinion I would buy an Sedan loaded with features rather than XUV. and if i have to buy SUV it is not XUV for sure.
Hi Throttleking,
At the onset I must say 'to each one his own', but comparing the looks of XUV 500 to Scorpio and then giving a thumbs up to Scorpio is sacrilegious!

Scorpio, though a good looking butch vehicle is just that- no style statement, pure muscle. I would liken the comparison to a wrestler against a chiseled up model.

On your point of people going crazy after pricing, I wouldn't disagree more. People in India are not only going for the cheapest that's available, but something that give a Value for money spent. How else would one explain the debacle of Tata Nano, albeit its the cheapest car on Indian roads?

On your next point of preferring a loaded sedan to XUV, IMHO no sedan, even at 5 lacs higher price than the XUV will offer all that the XUV offers- ESP, Side airbags, the works.. And people who would prefer a sedan to an XUV anyhow would be essentially the ones who do not want to drive an SUV by default, they are settled in staid lives and would are past their age of driving aggressive SUVs and offroading in them. Thats a different genre and we respect their choice.

I have my office on the office floor of a five star hotel in Delhi and there's an XUV which is always parked right in the front, belonging to some manager in the hotel perhaps. Today as I landed at the parking lot, a stream of european visitors was checking out of the hotel into their Volvo bus and I saw their guide taking them near the XUV, describing XUV as India's first global SUV. They all seemed too impressed, were taking photographs with the vehicle and my chest swelled with pride.

Knee Jerk happiness? Maybe yes, but XUV is solid, macho, and a fitting ascension for those driving the Safaris, Boleros and Scorpios. You either drive an XUV or you dont.

These views are all personal, of course.
Infiniti.Rahul is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 11:29   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti.Rahul View Post
Hi Throttleking,
At the onset I must say 'to each one his own', but comparing the looks of XUV 500 to Scorpio and then giving a thumbs up to Scorpio is sacrilegious!

Scorpio, though a good looking butch vehicle is just that- no style statement, pure muscle. I would liken the comparison to a wrestler against a chiseled up model.

On your point of people going crazy after pricing, I wouldn't disagree more. People in India are not only going for the cheapest that's available, but something that give a Value for money spent. How else would one explain the debacle of Tata Nano, albeit its the cheapest car on Indian roads?

On your next point of preferring a loaded sedan to XUV, IMHO no sedan, even at 5 lacs higher price than the XUV will offer all that the XUV offers- ESP, Side airbags, the works.. And people who would prefer a sedan to an XUV anyhow would be essentially the ones who do not want to drive an SUV by default, they are settled in staid lives and would are past their age of driving aggressive SUVs and offroading in them. Thats a different genre and we respect their choice.

I have my office on the office floor of a five star hotel in Delhi and there's an XUV which is always parked right in the front, belonging to some manager in the hotel perhaps. Today as I landed at the parking lot, a stream of european visitors was checking out of the hotel into their Volvo bus and I saw their guide taking them near the XUV, describing XUV as India's first global SUV. They all seemed too impressed, were taking photographs with the vehicle and my chest swelled with pride.

Knee Jerk happiness? Maybe yes, but XUV is solid, macho, and a fitting ascension for those driving the Safaris, Boleros and Scorpios. You either drive an XUV or you dont.

I appreciate your thoughts. Dont get me wrong here but I was not comparing XUV with Scorpio, and trust me XUV is way ahead of what scorpio is. I dont like the looks of scorpio either, perhaps I personally dont like scorpio at all. But in looks department, particularly the road presence that SUVs have, XUV lacks miserably. And wait when I say that, I say that because I am disappointed personally. I have been contemplating to buy a Safari since long time, but wait began when i saw scoops of Merlin as well as XUV. but to me XUV turned out to be softroader / Outlander types in looks and size department. But this definitely does not rule-out the fact that its a sheer value for money. And no wonder it has received overwhelming response and will earn its due respect too.

My definition of SUV is big in size, accommodates at least 7 and looks macho, and moderately capable offroader. And on these lines I really have tremendous respect for Endy, Pajero and Safari in that order, and affordability point of view, it is Safari for me. XUV is too small to my taste.
Old 5th November 2011, 10:14   #768
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread restored, but some posts needed to be deleted as they'd gone corrupt.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 11:43   #769
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Guys, the XUV is a crossover. The Fortuner is a body on frame 4WD low range offroader. Each has its pros and cons. Earlier we used to look at the needs of the potential buyer and then advise (so many threads e.g. Outlander vs. Fortuner, Yeti vs. Fortuner etc.). Nowadays we are having a straight duel b/w the XUV and the Fortuner. Wonder why? Does pricing change the basic characteristics of the vehicle?

If you want/need a tough, big 4WD SUV, go for the Fortuner/Endy/Pajero and be willing to sacrifice some of the creature comforts (read the feedback about the G-Wagen in the Mercedes travelogue - that is a 1.XX crore vehicle - and has its own quirks that are considered to be adding to its 'character'). You want a nice handling, fancy featured crossover, go for the XUV (or Outlander or Xtrail etc. if budget permits).

And do you think most people who want to upgrade to a 20L+ vehicle will consider a XUV? As I mentioned in another thread, I asked a couple of friends planning to upgrade to a SUV from C+ sedans, and none of them were considering the XUV. Their budget was upto 25L. And they were favouring vehicles that were at the upper end of the budget. Seems counter-intuitive, but perfectly understandable.

IMO the higher end Safaris, Scorpios and the Innovas will get hit by the XUV. The more expensive 20L+ SUVs, not so much.

Brilliant post Nilanjay!
The beauty of XUV5OO is its mass appeal to a lot of buyers across segments.
People looking for top-end Safari/Scorp could find XUV5OO more contemporary, more current generation.

People in the market for Innova/Xylo might relook if they really need 7/8 seats. There would be a few converts.

As Mansion mentioned in the initial posts, people looking for top end City, Vento, Verna might get tempted to stretch a bit and live the SUV-ownership dream (BTW, I belong to this category). People looking for Civic, Cruze, Altis, could look at XUV as another option in similar price-range.

For people looking for Fortuner, Endy etc, its going to be slightly tricky. Just like in bikes, after 250CC, you might want to graduate to a 600CC first before getting the litre-class; people looking for upgrades from existing 10L SUVs might be happy with this additional option in the 10-20L Rs gap.

And finally, as you pointed correctly, people who want to be seen in vehicles only above 20L might not even compare XUV with their current choice. It might be just too down-market for them.

Last edited by SDP : 5th November 2011 at 11:46.
Old 5th November 2011, 15:24   #770
BHPian

Hi,

Did any one know when the first AWD is getting delivered. I booked on 3rd October though it was entered in the sytem on 5th Oct got the delivery date of 9th March 12.

I really in doubt whether any AWD is in production line yet. M&M should not have relaesed the AWD if they were not prepared for releasing 100 -200 vehicles a month for this particular model.

Do we get the interest on the the booking amount if the delivery is getting delayed more then 3 months, if to be believd the figure of 4000+ AWD booking we are talking about a huge money - 4000x50,000 ;-(
Old 5th November 2011, 16:20   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
Hi,

Did any one know when the first AWD is getting delivered. I booked on 3rd October though it was entered in the sytem on 5th Oct got the delivery date of 9th March 12.

I really in doubt whether any AWD is in production line yet. M&M should not have relaesed the AWD if they were not prepared for releasing 100 -200 vehicles a month for this particular model.

Do we get the interest on the the booking amount if the delivery is getting delayed more then 3 months, if to be believd the figure of 4000+ AWD booking we are talking about a huge money - 4000x50,000 ;-(
Considering that all magazines have got to drive only the 2WD version, it looks like AWD is not ready yet. ACI even mentioned that AWD will be out in few months.
Old 5th November 2011, 16:50   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Throttleking,

I totally agree with u in this regard .

Scorpio derives its looks from the jeep that M & M is building for ages . This has gone a metamorphic changes with the latest feature set .

Same time XUV is not a derived look from some predecessor , but a totally new concept launched by M & M . The inspiration has been from the Cheetah look and certainly this looks aggressive .

There are lots of reviews stating that XUV is a off roader due to monochoque build . I know people who use Mitsubishi Mondero . Believe me this is used heavily for off roading and performs well .

End of the day XUV is a lot more aggressive then Scorpio and we all need to accept that fact that both are from M & M .

XUV should decently perform off road capabilities keeping in mind the ground clearance , AWD , Hill descent , Ascent and other features . ( Should go through a AWD user or team bhp review before we can comment on the full capabilities )

The price also matches most of the SUV in International Markets ( 20-25K USD )
Old 5th November 2011, 16:54   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sid and NitinRalli,

Good news for you guys. Mahindra has just posted on Facebook Fan page that its not necessary for the client to buy insurance from dealer. Here is the text reproduced verbatim:

Dear customers, M&M does not require any dealer to have a customer purchase insurance on its vehicles only through the dealer. Please write to us at customercare@mahindra.com if you are aware of any deviation from this policy.

Guess your troubles on being overcharged should be over. Someone high up in Mahindra has taken notice.Take care!
I was going through renewing the insurance policy for the scorpio. I was informed by my agent that Zero dip policy is only for the first 3 years .
Is this true ?
Old 5th November 2011, 17:20   #774
BHPian

Just wanted to add some info from my side. I checked with my dealer (SKS) about the mandatory insurance part. They have received a communication from Mahindra that insurance from the dealer must not be forced upon the customer, but they are allowed to negotiate with the customer on the premium.

Am getting very very impressed with Mahindra's swift response and action on various issues since the launch.
Rossiter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 18:16   #775
BHPian

just back from from a 1300kms drive on the XUV. posted few snaps on the ownership thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-thread.html

Will post a detailed review asap.
Old 5th November 2011, 18:58   #776
BHPian

volcano black w8 awd booked on 3rd october logged into mahindra system on 4th october. expected date of delivery 20-3-2012 if they were not ready with the awd why did they open bookings for the model.
below is the email i recieved from mahindra on enquiry about the expected date of delivery

Quote:
Dear Sir,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, we did have some constraint on the supply of AWD vehicles and hence took some time to communicate the confirmation dates to customers, we have received the confirmation now and as per the system the date of delivery of your vehicle will be on 20th March 2012.
Quote:
Hi,

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th November 2011 at 19:20. Reason: Fixed quote tag, and removed font tags.
Old 5th November 2011, 18:58   #777
Senior - BHPian

Count me in.

M&M has been doing really well when it comes to taking care of its customers. The following post of mine went unnoticed in midst of other discussions, but then this deserves to be mentioned once again.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2557576

The other bigwigs need to take a lesson or two from M&M on this. They are just about doing everything right at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Am getting very very impressed with Mahindra's swift response and action on various issues since the launch.
Old 5th November 2011, 19:02   #778
LDJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Just wanted to add some info from my side. I checked with my dealer (SKS) about the mandatory insurance part. They have received a communication from Mahindra that insurance from the dealer must not be forced upon the customer, but they are allowed to negotiate with the customer on the premium.

'Tis about time our very own Indian Manufacturers start standing tall - to restore some lost faith from the general public or garner new ones - and M&M needs a good pat on the back to be effectively doing this by not only keeping their ears open to the customers but also on acting on the same!
Old 5th November 2011, 19:53   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
just back from from a 1300kms drive on the XUV. posted few snaps on the ownership thread.
Updating the link which points to the exact post with pics. Since you have given the link to the first page of the thread, it will become difficult for the users at a later point of time to find out where exactly is the post which describes the details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2568557
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 22:11   #780
BHPian

There has been a lot of talk on the thread regarding the insurance premium - was doing a check in ICIC site https://www.icicilombard.com/WebPage...tnerLogin.aspx

and though I entered the Ex-showroom Price as given by the dealer as Rs1248532, while calculating the permium I'm getting the following
Premium Details
Insured declare value (IDV): Rs. 1186105
Car premium: Rs. 29622/-

Question-
1) Why is the Insured declare value (IDV) so less?
2) Is this one of the reasons the dealers insurance is Much more?
Quote:
Hi,

I too booked an AWD on the 2ndOCT but never received any release date! I too kept informing the dealer that they will have to pay interest!
Understand there are some issues with the AWD - Just hope it not something to do with ONLY the price ?
Now Im being offered an FWD with quicker delivery time line!

Rgds

Last edited by Gerardfdz : 5th November 2011 at 22:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks