Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 02:06   #46
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV5OO : Test Drive & Review

Excellent Review Manson. Well done. This could easily be the most awaited T-BHP reviews.
Old 14th October 2011, 02:07   #47
BHPian

Great review. Looks like Mahindra got the pricing on the XUV500 bang on. Its going to give the other cars in the 10-15 lakh segment a run for their money.
Old 14th October 2011, 02:16   #48
BHPian

Manson, excellent review, love the write-up and as we all have been suspecting about this car, T-BHP has given it a 2 thumbs up with a small disclaimer for the electronics .
I was about to fly out to join the ship when this beauty was launched and just couldnt find time for booking this, now need to wait till god knows when ! Otherwise would have had a double deal this year with the Ninja 650R and the XUV as well.
Any idea whether the speakers set up can be changed easily without affecting warranty ? Was pretty disappointed to see that the sound quality has been rated below par. Dont know how difficult it will be to add some decent speakers/amp/sub to this head unit.

For those who took the chance and booked it - Lucky you - guys, enjoy !

Last edited by plimsollmark : 14th October 2011 at 02:17. Reason: corrected typo
Old 14th October 2011, 03:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

XUV's is a smart SUV , especially interiors are designed to thrill everyone with lots of smart features.Total VFM for sure.

However,I had expected better design.

The rear 3 quarters of the vehicle do not blend at all.
As was the case with Scorpio when it was launched , the designers got bored after half way point.

Front end looks cluttered with forced design elements.
Also they should have left some space at rear behind 3rd row since many SUV owners would not like fitting a carrier.

Else its a GEM , Must say, MAHINDRA surely has RISEN
Old 14th October 2011, 04:40   #50
BHPian

Excellent review manson and the guys! two thumbs up!

I myself took a small test drive couple of days back. and I somehow couldn't get a desired seating position on the drivers seat. either the steering was a bit too close or the pedals below were too far! hope this can be adjusted properly and a good comfortable position can be found after playing with the adjustments sometime.

I just need some clarification from experts here. as mentioned in the review, the sound quality for playing music is below par and the only way is to go via the amplifier + speaker route... so how much can be done in this area?? ICE experts please throw some light here. how much can be done here... if we change to some decent speakers like Rockford fosgate or Bose and equivalent Amps, how much can be changed and expected given the head unit is no good. can an equilizer also be added to the system? as I like many of the music fanatic Bhpians here on the forum would really like to know the possibilities of good musical experience before taking the plunge for the XUV 5 oh oh!
Old 14th October 2011, 05:02   #51
BHPian

Thanks for the excellent review Manson and GTO. Well worth the wait

Its definitely a big leap forward for Mahindra. I am actually surprised that the on-road behaviour, ride and handling is better than some 20L SUVs. It will attract hoards of customers who are in the market for 10-20L sedans.
Old 14th October 2011, 05:12   #52
BHPian

excellent review manson.

XUV5OO is indeed a game changer, my friend who was planning for a scorpio is now hooked to this one but the sore points is the lack of luggage space and the third row seating space.
Old 14th October 2011, 05:23   #53
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the review, guys! I must admit this was one review i was eagerly looking forward to. For the first time, i also sat and watched the launch live.

The only disappointments for me seem to be the lack of luggage space, which becomes important if this is to be a touring vehicle for the great Indian family. Besides that, despite the Purple Club benefits, how do Mahindra plan to tackle the servicing aspect?

After buying a Scorpio, my first service experience in terms of the ambiance and general treatment at the service center in Kerala was not at par with my Ford service center experience. As they say, it all lies in the smaller details.
Old 14th October 2011, 06:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Wonderfully well written review manson, this one deserves a 5* rating all the way. Also it was the most eagerly awaited review for a long long time.

Few questions from someone who wants to buy a car in this price range and is looking at XUV or Fortuner.

1. How bad were rattles, were they repairable or not?
2. Does the entertainment system play DivX videos from the USB drive or does it play only DVD's?
3. Is it possible to fix a screen in between the first and second row to continue displaying video when the car is on the move?

None of the SA's i spoke to were able to answer this, hence these questions. The Video part is important as i can replace it in Fortuner and playing video/movies keeps the kids busy in the back seat for lack of things to do on long drives.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 14th October 2011 at 06:36.
Old 14th October 2011, 06:43   #55
BHPian

When is the car being launched all over?

As usual the review is like German Cars. Simple, understated and to the point. Thanks Manson and GTO for the same.

I just had a few queries:

1. Unlike other reviews, there is not much discussion regarding the competition (The one which you give with the photographs of the competitors). Is it because the XUV 5OO does not have any competition as on date?

2. As on date the Car is launched in select cities. Any idea / assessment when would Mahindra launch it all over and the time frame?
Old 14th October 2011, 07:41   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Tweak the front bumper - and change the looks !

Manson, lovely review of an equally good SUV there.

The comparo pic witht the Scorp really brings out the difference. And kudo's to Mahindra for bringing together a good collections of the desires features from different SUV's. While I personally dont like a lot of the styling, the styling will be popular and this SUV will sell. Wishing Mahindra for their efforts is definitely what they deserve !

The competition -esp Tata -definitely have a problem on their hands. And it is only apt that you have used higher /more premium SUVs for comparison.

Have to agree with GTO on the front looks. What I'd do as a quick fix is to blacken-out the rib on the corners of the bumpers: And I actually liked the way it is turning out this way. More subtle, yet retaining the poise & strength that intends to be conveyed.

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mxuv5oofront.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-mxuv5oof3q1.jpg
Old 14th October 2011, 07:44   #57
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

as usual a lovely review
thanks and cheers
Old 14th October 2011, 07:57   #58
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review manson and appreciate the detailing. This is definitely a game changer and a natural upgrade for Scorpio owners

By the way how does one track delivery schedule?

Cheers

KPS
Old 14th October 2011, 07:58   #59
Team-BHP Support

Great review and fantastic effort no doubt. Three very different profile persons in my immediate circuit have already considered buying this. 2 have booked already and one plans to book it shortly.

I TD it a few days back and loved the car like handling. However, as rightly pointed out, this works if you want a 5 seater. As a 7 seater, it doesn't make the cut for me at least. If I wanted a comfortable and flexible 7 seater to lug the extended family around, to me the perfect product is still the Innova even if my budget ranged from XUV - Fortuner level. Of course I'll now be a little grumpy about the higher price tag of the innova given the benchmarking the XUV has shown us. :-)

But I recognise this is probably an exception to me and for a wide range of buyers the XUV will serve as a brilliant proposition.

Like many others have identified here, electronics worry me and i would personally like to see some positive track record on this front. In fact, it may not be a bad idea for initial owners to consider the W6, even if they can afford more expensive variants.

Some queries for the reviewers or anyone else in the know:

- any insight into the more powerful variants;
- will the A/T be with a more powerful engine to make up for the power loss.
Old 14th October 2011, 08:04   #60
BHPian

Mahindra has done an excellent business case with XUV500. They spend only 600 crores for XUV500 development where as Hyundai has spent 900 crores for EON release.

Kudos to Mahindra and thanks for the team-bhp review.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks