Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2012, 12:53   #196
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
Just for fun see the drifting capabilities of TATA Nano!

Man vs Tata Nano - YouTube
Love the way the Nano does donuts around that guy..

In the space required to reverse our ikon, my nano can go round and round and round... :-)

Last edited by Pallavi : 19th August 2012 at 12:54.
Old 19th August 2012, 13:10   #197
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
. Another issues with Older gen Nanos is that the front wheels are smaller than rear wheels and the spare is a smaller wheel. In a puncture, your car will be off balance.
The front and rear tyres of Nano 2012 are also different. And the spare tyre functioning at the rear is not as bad as it is perceived. I drove around 500kms with the spare at the rear and there was no noticeable difference.

Just to clear your misconceptions.
kkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 15:23   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
In the space required to reverse our ikon, my nano can go round and round and round... :-)
Strange, we too have the same two cars, an Ikon and a Nano!

Quote:
could we rephrase it as best hatchback for rough roads?
You must remember a car like Alto in its stock form has already successfully completed Raid de Himalayas which requires more endurance than a Ladakh trip. I don't want to discourage your enthusiasm, but I really don't see the Nano as being a cut above the other hatches as far as rough roads are concerned. In fact the stiffer suspension, shorter wheelbase and tall seating do NOT give as comfortable a ride as most other hatches.

You could say it has a higher ground clearance than most other hatches.

Though, I must say the pics and videos you have posted do bring out the best in the Nano!

Quote:
What many people are saying that Nano's sheet metal is thinner compared to other cars like Alto , Eon.

Is this true?? if yes does it affect the safety of the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
If the sheet metal is thinner, you are prone to more dings and dents and not really helpful in safety as such. in the unlkely event of a colision, the body shell protects you.
There's also an anti-intrusion (or side impact) bar, set deep within the door panels, which is supposed to prevent another vehicle intruding upon into the body shell. More than the sheet metal thickness, it's these safety features which define how much the car will protect you.

For the record I drove an Alto K10 and couldn't see any noticeable difference in its door as against the Nano. However this opinion is purely subjective.

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2012 at 13:59. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 19th August 2012, 16:22   #199
BHPian

Talking of suspension, Nano has all wheel independent suspension, which I think you normally get in costlier cars.
curious to know what all cars in India have all independent suspension?
Old 25th August 2012, 08:32   #200
BHPian

Found this good article on Nano

Why you shouldn't write off Nano yet.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:51   #201
Senior - BHPian

An interview with Dr G.P.C Nayar of SCMS Group of education (www,scmsgroup.org) mentioned that he owns Rolls Royce and Tata Nano Cars. Recently read Captain Krishnan Nair of Leela Group, favourite cars of him are Rolls Royce and Tata Nano. I am sure the same will be true for most of the super rich in India. Instead of targeting the poor, Tata should cater towards the rich and sure every rich house will have a Nano; Tata sales will go up. Instead, Tata (Motors/Ratan) still trying to sell to the poor more as a social responsibility.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 11:08   #202
BHPian

Gave my Lxi for 1st service today to the company service centre at Worli, Mumbai. I was surprised that they're open on Sundays. 1263kms on the odo.

Problems : Fuel guage acting funny, AC blower not running at consistent speed, hot air coming into the cabin from beside the clutch when running AC, noisy wiper which does not clean properly and slight scratch on bumper.

About the scratch, I was told that the whole bumper would have to be painted. So I skipped that. I wanted to fit a glove box but they don't have them yet!

Vehicle is expected to be ready by 4. Service rep told me that there would be no charges.
Old 26th August 2012, 11:23   #203
Senior - BHPian

Just happened to read a story Tata Motors to launch three new cars soon - Auto - Cars - ibnlive
Quote:
an all-new car to take on the likes of Hyundai Eon and Maruti Alto.
Anyone know whether this is true? There was rumor that this project was cancelled. But the report says will be launched in 9 months, which i do not believe at all.
Old 26th August 2012, 20:33   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Instead, Tata (Motors/Ratan) still trying to sell to the poor more as a social responsibility.
This might have been true at the time of launching the Nano where they had tied up with SBI to provide financing at attractive terms so even a person who couldn't have dreamt of owning a car could purchase one.

Today the Nano is being sold just like any other car, barring the only fact that it's also pushing two-wheeler owners for an exchange.
Old 27th August 2012, 00:07   #205
BHPian

If only nano had a power steering, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. The powersteering was the deal breaker for me. It is even smaller than the wagon R even though it is just as wide. How hard is it to put PS on a rear engine car. The sales rep told me that the poser steering is not possible due to rear engine.
Old 27th August 2012, 01:26   #206
Senior - BHPian

Sales guy is thinking hydraulic.

Most small car P/Ss are electrically driven (EPS), so theoretically you can, but not at the customer/dealer level.

But the question is...does the Nano need one that badly? With engine being in the rear, there is not so much weight up front so comparing to front-engine Alto is not apples-apples.

Last edited by Mpower : 27th August 2012 at 20:32.
Old 27th August 2012, 02:02   #207
BHPian

I definitely found the need or power steering in the nano in very low speeds.
Old 27th August 2012, 09:10   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I definitely found the need or power steering in the nano in very low speeds.
It's actually easier to use than the M800 non-PS steering, because the front wheels don't carry the weight of the engine. I too was skeptical about it, since I have been driving a Santro with PS for the last four years. But happily the Nano steering won't give your biceps a workout the way an Indica or a Spacio steering does
Old 27th August 2012, 10:52   #209
BHPian

I have never driven a non PS car in the past 15 years, so may be that is why I felt the need for it.
Old 29th August 2012, 01:35   #210
BHPian

Planning to get some decals,
Designed this one myself, awaiting your feedback.

Tata Nano : Test Drive & Review-image2993.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks