Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:55   #541
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkytalks View Post
The insides of this car also felt very plain and dull indeed. It looks exactly like the dezire on steroids and feels a decade out of place. The music system doesnt give a harmonious sense with the interiors and the whole dash seeming generic and old fashioned. The main rear view mirror is a bit small.
I disagree. While the beige interiors attract a lot of dirt and are difficult to maintain, the design of the dashboard is really modern and nice. I agree the inside rear view mirror is a touch too small.

Quote:
The seat upholstery is quite simply horrible - the design, colour and shade are all unpleasant. The carpet and plastic colour are also quite ugly.
That is too harsh a statement. It is definitely difficult to maintain, but the seat fabric is of good material. Design and looks are definitely subjective.

Quote:
I disagree that space is a problem - on the contrary, space is in abundance. The third row of seats was extremely comfortable, much better than XUV. One can easily travel long distance in the third row. Entry and exit were easier than in Innova and not an issue. Second row was very spacious and I think the whole idea of this car is that it is so much more spacious than usual sedans of this length and width like Honda City etc.
+100. Space and verstality are the USPs of Ertiga

Quote:
Since the back of the third row is also made of beige material and the plastics also - this dicky will always look dirty. Keeping luggage on top of a beige carpet seat back - strict no-no.
Agree. I can vouch for this after a 3 day long trip that too with heavy rains. I am going to face a tough time cleaning the seats now

Quote:
On driving, the car was extremely sluggish. It started sluggish and remained so for the whole short drive. Perhaps because it was a diesel - but the XUV felt much more powerful than this. Maybe it is the turbo lag which people here keep talking about - whatever the reason, the driving sense and feed back from the car were very poor.
There is a noticeable lag upto 1800 RPM. It is irritating for people who have driven petrols only before (like me), but post that, it is a pleasure to drive. You could cruise all day at 120Kmph effortlessly on highways. Moreover, diesels open up after a few thousand Kms and then it performs even better.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 19:05   #542
BHPian

Thanks for responding to my commenta, Nurni76. And please dont be offended by my candid comments - the same interiors in my neighbors spanking new Ertiga looks much better - the TD vehicle was probably heavily used that is all.

And anyway, looks are such a subjective thing - changes from person to person.

As soon as people realize just how spacious it is, it will become even more popular than it already is - most people have already realized the value of the extra space and the Ertiga's value for money.

I for one have many times travelled in my friend's Honda City with driver. Four people simply cannot travel - even if its 3 adults and one child. Not for more than 15-20 minutes.
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:12   #543
Senior - BHPian

Today, just now, saw a white Ertiga with a high roof . Could not click as was behind the wheel.It definitely was not a mod because the car had red dealer plates.
is it a new launch?
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:10   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Today, just now, saw a white Ertiga with a high roof . Could not click as was behind the wheel.It definitely was not a mod because the car had red dealer plates.
is it a new launch?
Ertiga typically have high roof. When sitting in driver seat, I get a huge head room.

It is just visible from certain angle. copying from the first page of this thread, where one such angle of view was posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Front 3-quarter shows the true MPV stance, upward sloping roofline included:
gkrishn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:32   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post

Ride is pretty good for the 1st and 2nd row passengers. 3rd row gets bumpy, esp when you hit the road irregularities at high speed.

We did hit some nasty patches, on blr-mysore stretch, which caused the 3rd row passenger to hit the roof!

We recently hired a new innova for a long holiday from bangalore to Karwar , Dandeli and back. I travelled in the 3rd row for the whole trip, the ride is bumpy in an innova as well especially at the undulations on the tarmac over which the car speeds, the thud is predominant.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th August 2012 at 10:43. Reason: Fixing quote.
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:13   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Ertiga typically have high roof. When sitting in driver seat, I get a huge head room.

It is just visible from certain angle. copying from the first page of this thread, where one such angle of view was posted.
The high roof effect is more due to the front windshield height being less than actually the roof being high. This also gives the ertiga an aggressive crouching frontal stance IMHO
Old 24th August 2012, 07:50   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True but I have a feeling that what I saw was different that it had a sort of surrounding stuff vertically upwards. Perhaps could be a roof carrier.
Quote:
3rd row gets bumpy, esp when you hit the road irregularities at high speed.
Even in an Innova ingress/ egress is another uncomfortable factor.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2012 at 16:04. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 24th August 2012, 08:45   #548
Senior - BHPian

Any news on Ertiga Automatic Launch in India? I read somewhere that Automatic would be launched in overseas markets within 3 months.
Old 24th August 2012, 09:42   #549
Senior - BHPian

Got delivery of a close friend's Ertiga yesterday. Its a Red ZDi delivered after nearly 4 months of wait having booked on 14 Apr. Lovely car. Looks fab in Red color. Have to lay hands on drive yet and will have thorough experience in days to come. However a quick few initial observations (some comparison is always going to be from my side with Innova as I have one since ages now, so this is not to discourage anybody and my personal observations):

1. Middle row seats are quite a squeeze for 3 compared to Innova, no way one can get the same comfort as in Innova and similar for 3rd row. But seems to decenly carry 2+2+2. Have to get thorough experience of the 3rd row yet.

2. For me sitting in 2nd row, the a/c vents seemed to come on my face directly and roofline little low so when we went over potholes I thought I was going to touch the a/c roofline atleast on a couple of occasions. I think taller people at 5'8"+ would need to be wary and remain properly belted.

3. Pull from standstill is bit problem for newbies who are used to petrol as my friend experienced for the first drive including on the steep gradient in our complex where it stalled and proved difficult to climb at first but was managed in few moments, probably just needs getting used to.

Some points while taking delivery:
1. Always follow the proper PDIs, papers checking, thorough car inspection and get things in writing before taking car keys in hand.

2. Although all papers were in place with correct details and arranged properly, we found some issues on car which I would like to highlight for the benefit of the people taking delivery:

a. 2" thin scratch on front bumper RHS corner - agreed to get done at first service

b. small .5" scratch on RHS rear door, touch-up was already done by dealership before we noticed - agreed to get done properly at first service

Above two are unavoidable and not much can be done about them to get factory finish and may have to live with it with minor recovery in first 1000km service. However the big one is below.

c. Dent on LHS rear door middle lower part, just below door waistline.
The dealer thought of taking and doing it casually casting aside as a minor issue and started arguing that it will be taken care with dent repair.
I put my foot down giving some rap to them that nothing doing, the door will have to be replaced else we will right away talk to Maruti. Gave them some gyan on principals since there is nothing less they are charging, it is their duty to upkeep the car uptil delivery atleast and going out of dealership and even a pin-point dent would have been unacceptable on a car that is yet to be handed over and residing in their own compound. Also told them we share all things on our Team-BHP forum and this will also go in there. Seeing the firm stand, they had internal discussion and came back accepting replacement, that the door will be ordered and asa it arrives it will be replaced.

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-230820121452.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-230820121455.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-230820121456.jpg
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 11:44   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh
Also told them we share all things on our Team-BHP forum and this will also go in there. Seeing the firm stand, they had internal discussion and came back accepting replacement, that the door will be ordered and asa it arrives it will be replaced.
Good job! There is no need to put up with a dent on delivery after paying 10lacs plus.
Back to the gorgeous red colour which my dealer has flatly ruled out in view of undue delay:-(. Can you manage to get a few photos in sun and shade and post it pl.
Old 24th August 2012, 12:34   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viswam View Post
Good job! There is no need to put up with a dent on delivery after paying 10lacs plus.
Back to the gorgeous red colour which my dealer has flatly ruled out in view of undue delay:-(. Can you manage to get a few photos in sun and shade and post it pl.
True. The Red is really gorgeous. If not in hurry, stick to Red, try pestering the dealer and send communications to Maruti continuously. With Manesar getting up to work, things may look up soon. Here too, we had to constantly harass the dealer and finally had to give them big shot right on face of the principal to get their acts together and get our delivery on priority having waited so long. I will definitely put up snap asap. Meanwhile, do re-look the Red Ertiga snaps from the first posts of this thread, they are really superb and give actual feel of the car as it looks really outdoors.
Old 24th August 2012, 17:50   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh
Also told them we share all things on our Team-BHP forum and this will also go in there. Seeing the firm stand, they had internal discussion and came back accepting replacement, that the door will be ordered and asa it arrives it will be replaced.

Back to the gorgeous red colour which my dealer has flatly ruled out in view of undue delay. In fact i have not seen one till date.:-(.
Can you manage to get a few photos in sun and shade and post it pl.

Appears i should stick to silky silver for early delivery.
Old 27th August 2012, 11:33   #553
BHPian

Got the delivery of Ertiga ZDi, Ecru Beige on 23rd August from Hercules motors Trivandrum, after a 4 month long waiting. I made the booking on the first day itself and was waiting for ZDi arrival for all these days.We were offered VDi in between ad was promptly rejected as Airbags and rear wiper were a must for us

Will update the details later.
Old 27th August 2012, 14:02   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
Got the delivery of Ertiga ZDi, Ecru Beige on 23rd August from Hercules motors Trivandrum, after a 4 month long waiting. I made the booking on the first day itself and was waiting for ZDi arrival for all these days.We were offered VDi in between ad was promptly rejected as Airbags and rear wiper were a must for us

Will update the details later.
Congrats Vinod. Ecru beige is one color I have not come across. Do share a detailed review with lots of pictures. Great to know that you stuck to Zdi. The additional safety feature is definitely worth it.
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 10:41   #555
Senior - BHPian

Spotted two Ertiga cabs yesterday. Why can't car companies hold on to the cab licenses for a while after the launch of a new car? When I bought my Vista, Tata had made a statement that they will not allow Vista to be used as cab, but it was hardly a 4-5 months after the launch, there were hundreds of Vista cabs running on the road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks