Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2012, 22:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Excellent review, covered all the critical bits a typical team-bhp potential buyer will need. The 'renolt' bit is hilarious! Clearly a game changer for Renault, but they have dropped the ball on a number of things.

There is some consensus now among reviewers the top end pricing is off by 50k. Renault should chuck the rear ac and cut the price or provide more features for the 50k.

Another area they have blundered is the equipment levels for the various versions, the RXL 110 does not have airbags, and worse no option for one which is just ridiculous for a 12 lakh car! 'forcing' those who don't fancy the rear ac to go for the top end RXZ anyway due to airbags, and that's 13 lakhs, a psychological figure folks may hesitate to cross for the Duster!

The turbo lag on the 110 is a concern, it was obvious in my short test drive; it completely loses it in the second gear. If the 85 bhp turns out to have good drivability in the city and better grunt on the highway the 110 buyers are going to feel a bit silly!

GTO - you didn't mention ESP, the UK version will have it, all other regions have it, so why are Indian's getting shortchanged?

Last edited by raul : 21st July 2012 at 22:55.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 22:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

As usual, excellent review.

I am eagerly waiting for the review of 85 PS version.

The turbo lag, ergonomics, absence of dead pedal and driver arm rest are the major deterrents for me.

The excellent ride quality, ground clearance, car like behavior in a SUV and fuel efficiency are the major positives.

I will wait and watch the product and after sales service before getting one.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 22:57   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Super Review GTO!! Finally the much awaited review is up.

Good to know about the absorbent ride quality and secure handling, i feel sick in constantly bobbing Scorpios' and Safaris'.

Certain plastics and rubber parts look extremely cheap for a car of this segment, they might not age well with time.
@anshuman, the ARIA excels in both these departments, smooth ride without the "jumping" standard on the Scorpio, although the Safari , well, I wouldn't fully agree.

The switch gear on the ARIA is top class - european like, even the turn signal indicator gently "ticks", no beeps or clicks !

The switches on the Duster are AWFULLY cheap - better switchgear is available on any 4 lakh hatch these days !
lifebuoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 23:00   #34
BHPian

Highly awaited review is out at last.
One serious request GTO.
If you could have someone sit in the seats to show the driving position and then place the same person in the second row it will give a much better idea about the space and comfort, mentioning their height would be an added bonus.
Empty seats do offer a perspective but putting someone on them makes it definitive.
Thanks
Off Roadie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 23:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The K9K powers the Logan, Sunny & Fluence sedans, the Micra & Pulse hatchbacks and now, the Duster SUV.

The Fluence recently received an engine update that results in lesser turbo-lag and max torque at lower rpm. I find it peculiar that the Duster - Renault's most important product today - doesn't get that version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Just 2 quick question- are you sure that the Duster 110 doesn't receive the new improved engine of the Fluence? I have driven the earlier engine of the Fluence & the Duster 110 & the Turbo lag in the Duster seemed MUCH Less.
Looking at the engine specs, the Duster seems to have not got the Fluence version of K9K.
That said, I found the Duster 110 ps perfectly ok to my style of driving.

@BUXX - I did see an article in 'The Hindu' some days ago, which voices your thought. Link.

Extract
Quote:
Let’s start with the more powerful version first. Known as the K9K THP, we tested this 108.5bhp engine on the Fluence a couple of months back and came away impressed by its punchy nature. - dated 2 Jul 2012
EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
I waited for Duster instead of buying sub-compact sedan (read Verna/Rapid/Vento/Sunny).

However, this feel likes one of those instances, where you know this is a very practical car, there isn't really anything to compare or compete in the market, the price point is neither too expensive nor too cheap (i.e. variants), and in-spite of all this you still don't feel 100% satisfied with this car!
Am in a similar boat. Cannot agree more. However, am strongly intending to get the Duster to replace my aging ride. 100% is theory IMHO.

Last edited by DieselDon : 21st July 2012 at 23:29.
Old 21st July 2012, 23:14   #36
BHPian

Excellent review, as usual, GTO. Voted 5*
Few points -
- Despite that plastic skidplate, the engine gets a metal under-plate protector - at least in the 110 version.
- I did not find the tubro-lag in the 110 to be a deal-breaker as some others have repeatedly opined. As GTO rightly said - one can compensate with a few kms of driving.
- Certain other versions of Duster do have the 60:40 split rear seat, unlike the Indian version. Would rather have had that instead of those interior garnishings.
- I would hazard to opine that this SUV has solid underpinnings - as a team-member rightly put it - a whole lot of attention has been paid to it and in that context, when one steps back and considers the vehicle in the whole, its not a bad deal at all.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 23:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review GTO. I guess it goes without saying that this yet another masterpiece by you.
The product itself however made me have a mixed feeling about it. I was eagerly watching the around 8lakhs space for my next purchase which would probably be around this time next year and Duster seemed a good one at that. However I am extremely disappointed at the absence of safety features in the petrol variants. They should have provided abs and airbags atleast as an option for petrol. I could have lived with all other short comings but for this. Moreover the variant getting ABS and Airbags are priced above 10 Lakhs which I feel would be a tad overpriced. The 3 star euro NCAP rating is another sour point.

I m pleasantly surprised at the good ride and handling as I was very apprehensive about the Indian grown UVs in this very aspect. The fact that Duster betters them in interior quality is yet another good news. All seemed perfect but for the glaring omission of ABS on the petrol.

The optional jump seats I guess is a good afterthought, something I would ve wanted if I were to buy it.
All in all it seems good but I m still confused as to what to make out from the variants. As you said its normally hit and miss with renault, here I guess its more of a miss than a hit. Although with 12000 bookings, the market seems to have taken a liking to it.

Looking forward for your view on the other two engines on offer too.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 23:20   #38
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review GTO.

After spending a lot of time reading the launch report, GTO's review, reviews on several sites, looking up forums I still am not convinced Renault Duster is our next car. We need to replace our barely driven 8 year old Chevrolet Optra with something that will be an everyday car. Don't want to spend a fortune in a car which will be used for day-to-day tasks and I waited for Duster instead of buying sub-compact sedan (read Verna/Rapid/Vento/Sunny).

However, this feel likes one of those instances, where you know this is a very practical car, there isn't really anything to compare or compete in the market, the price point is neither too expensive nor too cheap (i.e. variants), and in-spite of all this you still don't feel 100% satisfied with this car!
inwester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 23:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

• 4 year / 80,000 km warranty as standard. This is amongst the best factory warranties offered in India. IIRC, the only other manufacturer giving a 4 year standard warranty is Honda.
Our Humble Tata Nano also offers a 4 year/60000km warranty as standard

Super review as usual, i really loved the pics of Duster with Munnar as backdrop.

To me simply based on this review, Duster is a mixed bag.

Renault should have given better interiors for price offered since being a 5 seater vehicle this is clearly competing with C segment sedans and aspirational expectations of that segment buyer might not be satisifed by Duster.

They should have learnt from logan itself about this.
Will anyone buy the petrol variant in these times?

Does the rear parcel shelf fold in between? Is it a 2 piece parcel shelf ?
Steering wheel should have been borrowed from koleos.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 23:38   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
The switches on the Duster are AWFULLY cheap - better switchgear is available on any 4 lakh hatch these days !
This is exactly what I was thinking. I really want to like the Duster but the quality just doesn't seem worth it. The Duster's interiors, switches etc feel like they belong to a Nano or an Alto, not a 10+ lakh SUV.

The ride is excellent, yes, and this is miles ahead of the current offerings from local manufacturers, but will it be able to compete with, for example, the Ecosport? That rear AC is a jugaad the neighborhood mechanic would be proud of, not one of the biggest car companies on the planet!

As for the pricing, I think almost everyone at this point agrees that it is off by at least 50k. I really was expecting a better car and am a little disappointed.

I'm not in a hurry to buy, so I'll wait for the Ecosport before I decide, but at this point, I think I'll just buy a Sedan since nothing seems to fit what I want
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 23:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Great review as expected, rated well deserved 5 stars

We quite liked the Duster as it looks handsome, does much more than a sedan can do and it can be used without any tension in the city but the interiors are too tacky for a car which costs above 11 lakhs OTR Delhi.

Its the interiors of the car where i spend most of the time and these are below average. Infact i didnt even test drive the car as i just didnt like the feel inside, every thing inside is like a "jugaad", the ergonomics are messed up big time, how can a company miss armrest in 2012? I love the exteriors though, the Duster looked awesome in black.

We bought a Vento TDi, that should cater to our needs for now and am in love with the car.

One question, why does this car have a parking sensor ON/OFF button? For front sensors thats fine but does it have those? If not it doesnt make sense as reverse sensors are automatic, they come on when we engage reverse?

Last edited by coolboy007 : 21st July 2012 at 23:47.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 23:50   #42
BHPian

I think its amazing that in the 'slowdown' the Indian car market has been able to find demand for 75000 vehicles in the 10 lakhs and 10 lakhs plus segment from the XUV launch in October last year (35000 plus) to the Ertiga launch (29000 plus) a couple of months ago and now the Renault Duster last month (12000 plus ).
raul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 23:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

As I have been saying before also. This one is going to sell well. Specially the base variant.
The only thing to be seen is how they manage the A.S.S.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:09   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
@anshuman, the ARIA excels in both these departments, smooth ride without the "jumping" standard on the Scorpio, although the Safari , well, I wouldn't fully agree.

The switch gear on the ARIA is top class - european like, even the turn signal indicator gently "ticks", no beeps or clicks !

1. Do they really belong to the same segment? Yes, Tata is desperately offering discounts but Aria actually belongs to a segment higher.

2. Between good looking and long lasting, i would pick the second one. Aria's switch gear and equipment does feel and look good, but does it last?

3. Aria rides very well, so does the XUV but are they reliable enough? Thousands of customers are struggling to get the niggles sorted in their cars.

4. My recent drive in Aria was disappointing, QC is pathetic: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...-ludhiana.html

Last edited by .anshuman : 22nd July 2012 at 00:11.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Review! The attention to detail is very nice, sincerely appreciate the effort you have spent to bring even minute details.

1) No door beading. Similar cost cutting was visible in Etios. Also, IIRC, the Etios also had knob type headlight height adjuster. We all had given big negatives to Etios, I wonder how would we rate this more expensive product. The 4 lakh rupee Wagon R has beading on both, door and body. The lack of beading on door also brings in more outside noise.

2) Kerb weight. Less than 1.3ltr. diesel Ertiga weighs in more than more beefed up, larger Duster which has a 1.5 ltrs. mill. We all have blamed Maruti when it was matter of weight, but its surprising that even the typical EU manufacturers managed this. 3/5 rating is not good. Even the smaller hatches have higher rating. 1205 kg 109 bhp duster. Ertiga weighs in 1235 with smaller engine, less height, width and length.

3) Space. I expected more space. Those looking forward to a family SUV/MUV will choose Xylo, Ertiga, Scorpio and even Innova more than Duster IMO. Duster is simply not as complete a product as the above mentioned competition.

4) M800 lock/key slot on door!!!??? Have they gone mad ?

5) Ergonomics pretty bad, specially for things like OVRM and AC.

6) Renault, borrow the lights and wiper switchgear from Micra.

7) Braking. Why is that wrong with Micra, sunny and now even Duster ?

A few Questions GTO:

1) Did you find the wiper blade to be a bit too short ? May be, its an old M800 sort of trick where in both the wiper blades are of same length. From the image from official review, IMO, the blade is straight away lifted from M800 era and is smaller.
Renault Duster : Official Review-duster.jpg

2) How would you rate the 109 bhp duster's performance w.r.t to
a: Swift/Dzire
b: Innova
c: Ertiga
d: Xylo
for highway driving ( since you have already mentioned that 109 bhp is not good in city ).

3) Do you think that hard clutch coupled with massive turbolag will lead to typical drivers riding the clutch hard ? This can lead to less clutch life. Similar thing was observed in Optra magnum where there were many cases of clutch wear which was later on concluded to be turbo and stiff clutch.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 22nd July 2012 at 00:23.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks