Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2012, 10:40   #151
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Are you sure that it is advisable to depress the clutch when braking? I have read many places not to depress clutch ever when braking and that one can depress only if the vehicle is going to stall.
Same here. Depressing the clutch will free up the vehicle, and this might lead to an increase in speed.
I have not heard of this approach of using clutch to improve breaking. Please enlighten us...
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 10:45   #152
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

One should never depress the clutch while braking at speed. This is madness because one will almost certainly lose control!
The clutch is to be used to enhance engine braking by down shifting a gear or two or three as the case may be, in order to slow down from speed. Correct and judicious use of engine braking and the vehicle's brakes will cause the vehicle to reduce speed much faster.
Depressing the clutch causes the gears to dis-engage and this is highly dangerous as it robs the vehicle completely of engine braking.
Yes the clutch needs to be pressed only in case the vehicle is in imminent danger of stalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Same here. Depressing the clutch will free up the vehicle, and this might lead to an increase in speed.
I have not heard of this approach of using clutch to improve breaking. Please enlighten us...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 10:55   #153
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering about the clutch bit too, because 'depressing clutch to get 100% from the brakes' goes against what we know. Such info could be misguiding and dangerous to folks who don't know better.

I must admit, I wondered whether it is some unique French way of driving modeled after activities that they are known to be famous for :-)
Old 24th July 2012, 11:14   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In todays scenario safety kit is absolutely necessary. At least ABS if not Air bags. This can mean the difference between life and death.

Most of us in India tend to think in terms of that extra 1 lac. But I do believe that it is better to spend it and be safe rather than sorry.
absolutely agree with Shankar on this point, living in delhi i see people spending 1 lakh on accessories ranging from DVD players, flat screens, those awful underbelly lights, alloys etc without thinking twice. But when it comes to safety suddenly the 1 lakh seems too much. I actually have a friend who bought the Vento and wouldn't wear a seat-belt cause it didn't feel comfortable. Refused to sit in his new car till he didnt start using the belt. today in India we have the options for these safety features and should opt for them.

cheers

Kundan
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 11:22   #155
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Really Superb Review.

Agree the Fabric Seats are better.
85BHP varient should have had the top spec options.
Dark Wood Trim looks good.
NCAP 3 Stars is not great.
Climate control would have been worth having.
Auto Lights and wipers are qiuite cheap to add. Indicator for reverse sensor should have been present.
rear add on seat is an OK Idea.
Top end goes too close to the Yeti & XUV, while still not having 4X4.
Love the tyres and wheel arch.
The rear seat possibly does not go back any further due to the rear wheel arch protuding into the cabin just behind the rear seat. They would require to increase wheel base further to sort that issue - too major change for it to be a solution.
Yep quality of interiors better than current Indian SUV's in the price range but they are getting there slowly.

This is to me a better buy than many C1/2 segment sedans and more practical and fun - the interiors though might be a let down.

RXL seems to be the best VFM option in both 85 and 110 PS.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 11:55   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmech View Post
brilliant review gto---- spot on

i have test driven the 110 diesel.

when micra is offered with a single airbag in basic variant what are we getting with duster?

braking is some thing which the company guys should inform every customer who buys or rather test drives the duster... they will not do the job when stamped upon, you need to press down the clutch as well to get the full bite. (just like sunny) i find that both the nissan and renault show room guys do not inform about this to the guys who are graduating from small cars!!!!!!! this could prove dangerous and one of these days we could hear about a serious accident happening on a test drive.

when ever you sit in a plane you get the same safety routine, why is it not done before a test drive/ at handing over new car? especially when your car has some thing different?

the exterior is very impressive, interior a couple of notches below par but livable.

jump seat in the boot would definitely be claustrophobic as unlike the safari/scorpio duster's not that tall.

i agree with every ones view about pricing/variants

I don't think that is correct. You don't have to stamp on the clutch for effective braking on the Sunny. I own a Sunny and I haven't had any braking issues. The Sunny's brake is a bit spongy and takes some time to get used to it. Shifting from SX4 and Lancer it took me a while to figure out the dynamics of the brakes. However after driving for a while I find that it is very effective. I feel that if you depress the clutch while braking then you will not get the advantage of engine braking. There will be absolute loss of control if you are braking like that at high speeds. I think this is a concept that is pretty well settled in the automotive world. I don't think Renault or Nissan has any intention of upsetting such basic driving concepts. If they have done something like that, I wonder what the motive could be. However let more experienced and expert bhpians comment upon that.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:00   #157
BHPian

The dealer informed that Renault has a tie up with TVS Mond for anytime emergency repairs/pickup within 45 minutes all over India.
They are also insisting that the insurance has to be bought through them.

Last edited by werfish : 24th July 2012 at 12:03.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:08   #158
BANNED

Is there any benefit to the buyer on account of following if he is a member of Automobile Association of India :

* Insurance
* Registration Cost
* Road Tax

Whether Renault or their dealer provide any benefit to such person in Bangalore.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:27   #159
BHPian

excellent review GTO. Here's a less expensive, comfortable, monococque, light weight, High GC and potential mod-friendly machine. here's my question, will it be targetting Pajero in future if its 4x4 is out?
AltoHoncho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 13:24   #160
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If wishes were horses...
There are no benefits at all for AA members from any manufacturers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
Is there any benefit to the buyer on account of following if he is a member of Automobile Association of India :

* Insurance
* Registration Cost
* Road Tax

Whether Renault or their dealer provide any benefit to such person in Bangalore.
Old 24th July 2012, 13:27   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
Rs 200/- off on Insurance. Remember to tell him before he generates the quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
The dealer informed that Renault has a tie up with TVS Mond for anytime emergency repairs/pickup within 45 minutes all over India.
Ambitious on part of both TVS Mond & Renault to give a 45 minute response time. And the dealer cannot insist that insurance must be purchased only from him.

Last edited by condor : 24th July 2012 at 13:30.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 13:40   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post

That comes out as a relief that Emergency Repairs/pick up can be arranged anywhere across India though within questionable 45 Minutes. with wafer thin network of Renault that sure is Good News !!

but why insistence of Insurance to be bought from Dealer Itself? do we loose out on anything if we take Insurance from outside agency ? Maybe loosing out on Cash less facility for repairs??

My status of Booking is still unknown, NO CALL from Renault yet, Dealer says Deliveries are delayed and First Delivery to commence next week only . So my Car may be delivered hopefully by End August or Early September.
Old 24th July 2012, 13:45   #163

Being an engineer, i love reading about tech, however even on your forum details of tech is last thing that one discusses here. Ideally, in case of Duster, I would have love to read about the way Renault has managed to eek out the extra 25 bhp from the same machine, that's the point of interest to me. Can someone help?
Old 24th July 2012, 14:01   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Front Wheel Drive vehicles generally perform better in the steep hilly bits as proven in the old days by the humble Maruti 800 vis a vis the old Amby/ Fiat!
Rear wheel drive is better in hill climbs especially when a vehicle is loaded.
Your comparison of amby and Maruti 800 is incorrect. Low end torque and gearing are more important than anything else in a a hill climb. On a steep hill the 63 bhp Bolero DI easily beats the 140bhp Safari hands down ( both 2 wheel drive )
Old 24th July 2012, 14:06   #165
BHPian

What kind of outfit is TVS Mond? I could not find any information on the company.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks