Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2014, 15:13   #541
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 320d & 328i (F30) : Official Review

What tyre pressure should I maintain in the F30 320D?The car has varied usage - sometimes 2 people, sometimes 5.

BMW recommends 2.0 BAR in the front tyres for load of 3 people.
BMW recommends 2.2 BAR in the front tyres for load of 5 people+luggage.
BMW recommends 2.2 BAR in the rear tyres for load of 3 people.
BMW recommends 2.7 BAR in the rear tyres for load of 5 people+luggage.

Can I safely keep it at max pressure? (i.e. 2.2/2.7)
Old 13th January 2014, 15:59   #542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
What tyre pressure should I maintain in the F30 320D?The car has varied usage - sometimes 2 people, sometimes 5.

BMW recommends 2.0 BAR in the front tyres for load of 3 people.
BMW recommends 2.2 BAR in the front tyres for load of 5 people+luggage.
BMW recommends 2.2 BAR in the rear tyres for load of 3 people.
BMW recommends 2.7 BAR in the rear tyres for load of 5 people+luggage.

Your ride will be horrible if you keep it at that.

Keep 30psi all around when its 2 people, and you can raise it to 32 if there are 5. Of course of you are doing highway driving then I would suggest 2 psi higher in both circumstances.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 16:19   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

What tyre pressure should I maintain in the F30 320D?
The car has varied usage - sometimes 2 people, sometimes 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Agree with Akshay. The ride will be horrible if you keep 2.7 bar.

By the way, the conversion from Bar to PSI is about 14.50. So
2 Bar = 29/30 psi
2.2 Bar = 32 psi
2.7 Bar = 39/40 psi

Anyway, my car runs mostly on highways and I am comfortable using 32 in the front and 36 on the rear tyres.

For city driving, front 30, rear 32 should be fine and in line with the BMW recommendation for 3 people.
lapsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 18:21   #544
BHPian

Got the paint protection film done on bumpers, bonnet, run boards and ORVMs on my 320d. Also, got the uv protection film on windshield.

Total damage is huge (33k) but it's a must for black car in Indian conditions.

When I have saved more in coming months, will get the paint protection done for fenders, doors and boot.

Details coming up in ownership review soon.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 19:09   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Got the paint protection film done on bumpers, bonnet, run boards and ORVMs on my 320d. Also, got the uv protection film on windshield.

Total damage is huge (33k) but it's a must for black car in Indian conditions.

When I have saved more in coming months, will get the paint protection done for fenders, doors and boot.

Details coming up in ownership review soon.
Hi Skyliner, what is pain protection film? Can you give more information on price, vendor etc?

Thanks -Rishi
Old 14th January 2014, 23:47   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post

Hi Skyliner, what is pain protection film? Can you give more information on price, vendor etc?

Thanks -Rishi
Paint protection film is a transparent polymer film which is applied on exterior of car to protect the paint from minor scratches and it can be removed after two three years without damaging the paint.

The benefits apart from scratch protection are:

1. When you remove it after few years the car still looks new due to paint not losing shine.

2. It protects paint from damages from acidic liquids like rain, bird droppings, etc.

Prices are per square foot and usually for a car like 320d bumpers and bonnet will cost around 30k.

I did it from 3M which is in my opinion the best option here in Pune.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 15:03   #547
BHPian

Chennaiites, any idea on discounts offered for the 320D?? I am looking out for a car with a 35L budget.

Also, BMW owners please help me with the following
1. I understand I can buy a BMW anywhere from India. I can approach the dealer in Bangalore and buy the car from him am I right??
2. This will be a purely city car. We will venture out to the highways with this car very rarely. I am a bit apprehensive about how the run flats will hold up on long journeys. Please share your experiences.
Old 31st January 2014, 15:17   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Chennaiites, any idea on discounts offered for the 320D?? I am looking out for a car with a 35L budget.

Also, BMW owners please help me with the following
1. I understand I can buy a BMW anywhere from India. I can approach the dealer in Bangalore and buy the car from him am I right??
2. This will be a purely city car. We will venture out to the highways with this car very rarely. I am a bit apprehensive about how the run flats will hold up on long journeys. Please share your experiences.

1. Well officially BMW doesn't allow this. But unofficially all you need is a rental agreement (or any other address proof) in which your name is even partially mentioned. (Rental agreement is easily made)
In my experience the best deals on BMW are available in Delhi NCR region. Do check their prices before finalizing your decision.

2. Run flats are better than normal tires. No need to worry on that front at all.

Wait till the end of feb. Many cars including the CLA and new C class may be announced in the auto expo.

Wishing you all the best !
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 16:30   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
1. Well officially BMW doesn't allow this. But unofficially all you need is a rental agreement (or any other address proof) in which your name is even partially mentioned. (Rental agreement is easily made)
In my experience the best deals on BMW are available in Delhi NCR region. Do check their prices before finalizing your decision.

2. Run flats are better than normal tires. No need to worry on that front at all.

Wait till the end of feb. Many cars including the CLA and new C class may be announced in the auto expo.

Wishing you all the best !
The dealer here Kun doesn't have a great reputation. Since it's a monopoly I am vary of them.

I haven't faced any GC issues with my Cruze here in Chennai, I hope the its the same for the Bimmer too.
Does the basic variant with Xenons come with front parking sensors??

A bit but when can we expect the new C Class

Last edited by KINI : 31st January 2014 at 16:39.
Old 31st January 2014, 16:41   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
The dealer here Kun doesn't have a great reputation. Since it's a monopoly I am vary of them.

I haven;t faced any GC issues with my Cruze here in Chennai, I hope the same rremains for Bimmer too.

Does the basic variant with Xenons come with front parking sensors??

A bit but when can we expect the new C Class

Bummer has much better clearance than cruze

None of the 3 series models come with front parking sensors

Don't have much of an idea about the C class. I assume it won't come to india before end of this year since it hasn't started selling globally yet.

Secondly in most markets including india the C class will be launched at a much higher price to make way for the CLA. Expect the C class to launch at 37-38 lacs for the base model
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 19:40   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Keep 30psi all around when its 2 people, and you can raise it to 32 if there are 5. Of course of you are doing highway driving then I would suggest 2 psi higher in both circumstances.
The dealership recommended:
1. 29 psi in front and 31 in the rear tyres if 2 people are travelling without luggage.
2. 31 psi in front and 39 psi in the rear tyres if 3 or more people are travelling with luggage.

On any long drives he mentioned to follow point number two regardless of the number of persons travelling.

Till now I have been maintaining 29 psi in front and 31 in the back.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:47   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

2. 31 psi in front and 39 psi in the rear tyres if 3 or more people are travelling with luggage.

On any long drives he mentioned to follow point number two regardless of the number of persons travelling.

39??!!!

I think you are mistaken or the dealer is.

I was explicitly told by the dealer to maintain 32/34 during highway drives. I followed that only once. Unluckily hit a very hard bump on the highway which has resulted in 2 bent alloys.

Upon inspection the dealer was quick to wash his hands off saying "sir recommended tire pressure is 28/30. Your tire pressure must've been higher that's why the alloys are bent. "

Anyway. In my experience anywhere between 28-30 psi is more than sufficient for highway drives as it swallows the bumps much better.
Mind you the more the passengers the harder you'll hit the bump. So moderate pressure is fine.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:50   #553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The dealership recommended:
1. 29 psi in front and 31 in the rear tyres if 2 people are travelling without luggage.

I think for longer drives you can follow 32/34 if its fully loaded or even 35 for the rear but definitely not 39. That will just make your ride too stiff.
Old 31st January 2014, 22:32   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
39??!!!

I think you are mistaken or the dealer is.

Anyway. In my experience anywhere between 28-30 psi is more than sufficient for highway drives as it swallows the bumps much better.
Mind you the more the passengers the harder you'll hit the bump. So moderate pressure is fine.
Quote:
I think for longer drives you can follow 32/34 if its fully loaded or even 35 for the rear but definitely not 39. That will just make your ride too stiff.
Well the dealer was actually pretty serious about the tyre pressure. While delivering he took extra effort and told me the above numbers to be maintained. I even have the paper where he specifically wrote 39 psi for the rear tyres when the car is fully loaded or on long drives. Apparently the chances of the RFT failing on you are less. But ofcourse I haven't really followed that and maintaining 29 psi in front and 31 in back at all times.
Old 9th February 2014, 09:50   #555
BHPian

Have a question regarding seat height adjustment. I noticed that the passenger seat lowest position is lower than the driver seat lowest position. Is it normal?

I asked BMW and they said that it is like that. I am not 100% convinced by that.

Experts, please throw some light on it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks