Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-10.html)

Great review! Devil is in details and it feels like I spent an couple of hours with the car myself.
So how is the booking process going to work with Deloitte handling it? Where do the dealers fit in?

I must chip in two words that slipped my mind earlier regarding the lights.

1) Reversing lights: These are much lower on the bumper and I think this is not good. Say you need to reverse just a wee bit, in a jiffy (because the guy in front of you is doing the same), in the middle of a line of cars entering say a mall or a parking lot. And the guy behind you is not on an ultra-low Baleno, then how on earth is is going to know you are reversing?

2) Daytime running light provision. Why not just give with the high-end at least! Please Ford.

First of all, a huge thumbs up for the comprehensive review. :thumbs up Meticulous as always.

The car ticks all the right boxes (hope it does with the pricing as well), but the one big let down is the steering. How much of a deal breaker is it? Especially for those who are used to the hydraulic setups, like in previous Fords?

Not being a corner carver may not put off a majority of drivers but the nervous handling on the expressway surely will.

A lot has been written about the thick a pillar. I think the main culprit is the triangular portion near the mirror. The blind spot would have been alleviated a lot if Ford had designed the door shut line as shown (the original location of mirror can be seen in hazy grey). Maybe there are other constrains that we do not know of, like dashboard support design, etc.

The thicker pillar would in most cases mean better support for the roof, in turn translating to more rigid roll cage. So it could actually be a safe design in case of a roll over. On the other hand in our traffic conditions, this blind spot can be unsafe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thoma (Post 3131876)
When the 1L engine churns out 120+ bhp, why did Ford want to give the extra option for the 1.5L petrol engine? Was it the 1L's turbo lag or is it that Ford's is not that confident to play the EcoBoost alone in the market?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rana_kirti (Post 3131556)
1. Why is the Ecoboost not offered with the DCT AT ? Are there plans for this combination to be available soon ? Any timeline ?

The 1.5L engine is the base engine. The 1.0L will command a premium price thanks to the technology that's inside even though it gets the tax benefit.

Also, the 1.5L engine is the only one with the AT DCT box. This is the same internationally as well. There is no 1.0L EcoBoost with DCT AT in any Ford vehicle I believe. I guess the DCT box has not been programmed to work with a turbo engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by null (Post 3131838)
@vids: read somewhere that you did an elaborate test with the duster after the ecosport shootout. Would be great to see more detailed comparisons of the two from an India angle/average joe perspective. The positives given for Duster in the comparison section makes me sway towards Duster compared to Ecosport. Also, performance & FE of other engine variants will really help :)

I drove a Duster one week before the EcoSport drive. Most of my comparisons are mentioned in the review. The Duster has the better ride whereas the EcoSport has the better handling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajneeesh (Post 3131814)
please:Vidyut and GTO,

thanks for an excellent review. When can we expect a review of the Ecosport with 1.5 diesel and petrol engines??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berry (Post 3131513)
Questions : How is the 1.5 TDCi ? Fast enough to propel the bulk comfortably or feels sluggish, this is going to be a buying or rejecting point for me.

We haven't driven the diesel yet but will be driving one very soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simhi (Post 3131733)
I am looking at buying an automatic in 10-12 lac range and after reading the review may consider EcoSport too. Here are few queries though
1. Is power of 1.5 AT same as the manual - 110 @ 6300? How about the fuel efficiency?
2. Is AT likely to be introduced in 1.0 EcoBoost engine too?
3. The huge blind spot mentioned by you is worrisome?
4. I am ok with seating for only four as well as limited boot space. However, how comfortable (seating) it would be for 4 people to go on occasional long drives?

1. 1.5AT and MT have the same power output. We haven't driven this variant yet so can't comment on how it drives or the FE.
2. Replied earlier.
3. It will be a problem for some but needs time getting used to.
4. Very comfortable for 4 on a long drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 3131786)
T
1) Is it pronounced eco or echo?
2) Through the narrow twisty roads of Goa, did the car put a smile in your face? I read the EcoBoost managed it but what about the rest of the car? Were you enjoying it or constantly wary?

1)Echo is what all the Ford guys called it (Also mentioned in the review:))
2) We enjoyed it and were not wary of the chasis. It was only the steering that let us down. You don't have to worry about the handling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgsagar (Post 3131672)
I have decided to go for 1.5 AT petrol. Vid, does AT versions also has push-start feature? I just love the beverage chiller. How many cars under 20L have this feature? I love the 6-speed AT and tiptronics. Is the mobile bin padded?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnahelix (Post 3131564)
Your review mentions that 1.5L DCT will not come with Titanium (O) trim if I read it correctly. Here is a picture from one review
This shows an automatic transmission version with leather seeds and side airbag that corresponds to Titanium (O) trim. I would rather buy the Titanium (O) with auto transmission. Your insights will be helpful.

Ford has not released detailed feature list for each variant. But from what we saw, the AT variant on display did not have the start/stop button and leather seats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmokid (Post 3131464)
The only major concern from the car is the steering. How bad is it? Worse than the Verna? Between the Duster & Ecosport, which one inspires more confidence?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shivasuma (Post 3131492)
Some questions to Vid, is the steering something like the Jetta (well-weighted but no feedback)? How about compared to I20? Any pricing indication by Ford? The success of this car depends on the pricing.

Steering was like the Polo. Light with very little feedback. I think the Jetta is a little more weighted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao (Post 3131499)
stupid: Sorry is this a typo or am I missing something?

What typo? The Quanto has 690 litres of booth space without folding the second row.

Quote:

Originally Posted by damager21 (Post 3131530)
I have following few questions
1. You mentioned A and D pillars create a blind spot. Is this a big flaw and does this make EcoSport prone to accidents? Does rear camera for parking make sense?
2. Are grab handles available in other variants of EcoSport?
3. If I am standing close to EcoSport at a shop with keys in my pocket, will keyless entry system work if someone was to try opening the doors and will that person manage to start the engine?
4. Fuel lid is linked to the car's central locking system and there is no separate release lever. Does that mean every time I unlock all the doors even fuel lid will open?
5. Is the boot lock also linked to central locking system?

1. Rear camera will help when reversing although the parking sensors are more than sufficient.
2. Yes. only top end with side / curtain airbags doesn't get grab handles.
3. If you are a couple of metres away then the door may unlock but the engine wont start unless the key is inside the vehicle. It will show "Key not inside"
4. Yes. When you unlock, the fuel lid unlocks but will not open. To open you still need to pull the flap.
5. Yes. boot lock is also linked to central locking system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronH4WK (Post 3131535)
was that picture of you sitting at the back taken with the front passenger seat pushed all the way back?

That pic was taken after I adjusted the front seat for myself in a very comfortable position. It can go further back if needed but that was more than enough for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 3131569)

How does one unlock the boot for security checks at malls? Does the central lock/ unlock button control that too?

You press the unlock button and hope that the mall guard knows that he has to press that little black request sensor for the boot to open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avingodb (Post 3131574)
Excellent review! Certainly worth the wait
Couple of quick questions,
1) you mentioned that Ecoboost is lightweight but the kerb weight for ecoboost is higher than for 1.5. Any reason why that is the case?
2) Some of the pics are from blue coloured vehicle, can you share its full pics?

1) Well it's not exactly light weight. The balancer shafts add weight to the engine so Ford has kept the weight down by not using balancer shafts. The cast iron block on the other hand is heavier plus the turbo and additional ancillaries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarvodaya (Post 3131600)
Not Yet, Some features are still missing, Sun Roof, Light & Rain Sensor, Reverse Camera, Electrically folding mirrors, Heated Mirrors, Touch Screen, Navigation, Rear Disc Brake. Among these, at least Ford could have incorporated Light & Rain Sensor, Electrically folding Mirror which would not have costed Ford much.

True but the SYNC system makes up for a lot of that. i would prefer the SYNC over the heated mirrors, light and rain sensor, and folding mirrors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 3131633)
The finest review of Team BHP! Superb Vidyut and Rush am now terribly confused about the next purchase in the family :P Do you have any further details of the hydraulic rebound stops? Is it inside the strut itself? Or outside?

From the looks of it, it is inside the strut. Instead of a hard bump stop, the oil in the strut is compressed further towards the end.

Quote:

ECU above battery?! what about those fumes, wont they cause an issue?

It could be but nowadays all VW cars have the entire fuse box on the battery as well. I'm guessing it is no longer a concern in newer batteries.

Quote:

Last but not least those central lock controlled fuel lids, an over-enthu petrol bunk guys is good enough to rip those off. Has happened to many iKON owners in the past.

Yes it can get ripped off. In my Figo, the flap is designed to be pulled out by the finger i.e. has the gap for finger but for India, they added a fuel release. If you forget to open, the pump attendant will try to pull it. Hasn't broken but it's a Ford thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksoul (Post 3131642)

1) Is there a flat surface area with enough space on the dash (drivers side/center) to mount a satnav unit like MapMyIndia or something similar? Can't tell from the pictures.

2) Everyone is pretty curious about the diesel powerplant, and if I buy this car, my preference would be for the 1.5 D too. Will you guys be updating the review when you get your hands on a diesel EcoSport?

Thanks!

1) Space is there but it is curved. YOu can mount one using the heavy weighted mount not suction. Suction will have to be on windshield.

2)Yes, review will be updated with the Diesel as soon as we get one.

@vid6639--Thanks for your clarification on how to unlock the boot door at malls during security checks. But as you mentioned that anyone inside the car can unlock a door despite the lock button being engaged, I hope this does not apply to the boot door. Else items in the boot will be an easy prey for thieves at traffic signals!

Vid/GTO,

Many thanks for the d-e-t-a-i-l-e-d review! Splendid work.

So after waiting all these months the EcoSport is off my list. I was looking forward to a comfortable, compact SUV that is easy to drive in city and yet has enough ground clearance for the highways, bad roads, broken tarmac areas.

Non-negotiable factors for us are automatic transmission, front *and* side airbags, at a roughly 10-lakh price point. Ford's asinine decision to launch the AT without side airbags or leather seats makes it an absolute no-go for us, at least.

Time to start looking for used CR-Vs or Outlanders, I guess. I just hope the EcoSport will be priced well enough to drive down the resale values of those other petrol SUVs.

Awesome Review!! One of the best and has covered almost everything anyone needs to know about the Ecosport.

Today while driving I saw a grey ecosport parked near Goa medical college,had TN registration , seemed to be one of the discoveries campaign car.Looked good in that color but dint look big,though i was about 30 meters away and just got a quick glance.

The only thing ford should now do and the most important one is to price it well. The duster wont be the only competition to the ecosport. Compact SUVs from Maruti and Hyundai will be arriving soon and we know how big a fan following these two have. Ford should really give maruti and hyundai sleepless nights before they launch their respective cars.

Ford should not bother about the Ecosport eating sales from the classic and new fiesta because frankly the classic sells less and is too old and the fiesta now is dead and buried!

One more thing Ford should take care with the ecosport, which they still to some extent have not taken care in the figo are the rattles and squeaks in new cars!!(not excusable!):Frustrati

please:
Please Ford if your reading this thread(which you should!) Please Dont Screw Up!! Your brand's image cannot take another failure!

Rated the thread a well deserved 5 stars!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3132022)
Also, the 1.5L engine is the only one with the AT DCT box. This is the same internationally as well. There is no 1.0L EcoBoost with DCT AT in any Ford vehicle I believe. I guess the DCT box has not been programmed to work with a turbo engine.

Apparently, folks in Europe are hankering for this combo too:

this site says it can be done - http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-driven-review

while this one says there are issues - http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...esta-ecoboost/

Excellent review btw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3131317)
The EcoSport's suspension is decidedly European in nature. Translated = a firmer ride at low speed, planted stance on the highway and dynamically excellent. As with most other Fords, the suspension is biased towards handling rather than comfort. Ride quality is compliant for the most part. Albeit at low speeds on less-than-perfect roads, there is an underlying stiffness evident. While not uncomfortable, you are always aware of the road conditions below. It's certainly not what you can call plush. Sharp bumps send an equally sharp jolt to the cabin.

Hi Vidyut, great review. I know this one would be a tough question for you to answer. Will the suspension be comfortable for a person with lower back pain? Handling is not a criteria here, comfort is.

Thanks for posting such a detailed review.
This review has set a new benchmark for automobile enthusiasts/critics/ journalists alike.
Definitely, well worth the wait :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 3132039)
@vid6639--Thanks for your clarification on how to unlock the boot door at malls during security checks. But as you mentioned that anyone inside the car can unlock a door despite the lock button being engaged, I hope this does not apply to the boot door. Else items in the boot will be an easy prey for thieves at traffic signals!

From what I have understood, to enable central locking, there is a lock/unlock button on the dash.
If lock is enabled, then the car cannot be opened from outside (read thieves).
However, even when locked, when a passenger seated inside just pulls the 'door open' lever, the door would open. Hence, the recommendation to use child locks.
Now, at malls, if you want the guard to open the tailgate, the first step would be to press the unlock button on the dash. Then only the tailgate can open by pulling the lever/ or touching the sensor (based on the variant).
Same concept applies when you want to re-fuel the vehicle at gas stations as the fuel cover is also connected to the central locking.

Great review. I would like to know if the clutch of ecosport 1.5 TDCI is lighter than both 110 and 85 PS duster. 110 PS Duster clutch is too hard for me. Couldn't get TD of 85PS though. Heard that Duster uses cable-operated clutch which contributes to its hardness.
I was almost sold to the Duster until I set foot on the clutch.

Mods in the section "What you won't like" boot capacity is mentioned as 346 liter while in the section where the boot capacity review is done it is mentioned as 362 liters. Is this a typo?
Let us know what is the actual boot capacity of the vehicle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3131317)
On the flip side, a glaring omission is the lack of any sort of underbody protection. The EcoSport has no skid plate or plastic cover, leaving the engine completely exposed to the elements. Be careful when wandering off tarmac. A stubborn rock or loose stone thrown up could damage the oil sump / other components.

I am unsure about how serious risk is posed by the absence of skid plate. Can this be a deal breaker?

Quote:

Originally Posted by human_wheels (Post 3132172)
Great review. I would like to know if the clutch of ecosport 1.5 TDCI is lighter than both 110 and 85 PS duster. 110 PS Duster clutch is too hard for me. Couldn't get TD of 85PS though. Heard that Duster uses cable-operated clutch which contributes to its hardness.
I was almost sold to the Duster until I set foot on the clutch.

The 85 clutch is smoother compared to 110. It is I think cable operated.