Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-17.html)

With Ecosport being dynamically sound and is having reasonable amount of space, I wonder what can the good reason for opting the already slow selling New Fiesta.

- Sedan status ?
- Slightly better space ?

Ecosport shares same engines and is equally well loaded.
It offers :
- Better GC
- Better pricing (maybe, because of tax benefit)
- More appealing looks overall (Still subjective though)
- Ecoboost variant.

I believe Ecosport can be a good alternate to even C segment cars if they can have a more powerful diesel engine option.

90 bhp/200 NM torque from 1.5 litre engine is way too conservative. Even smaller MJD is capable of this.

Woopa ! Still confused about the vehicle but no doubt the review is the best on net yet. Detailed to the core. I had so many questions which are answered here. Thanks for putting across this detailed review. It's not easy to prebook based on the fake reviews all over the net :)

Pricing will all that will matter now. If they get it right like the FIGO, they have a winner on cards. Hope they do not spoil the party like they did with the pricing of the new FIESTA. And come on, under 4 meter benefit, litre class engine benefit. Give it to the customers Ford and we will thank you with numbers !

Amazingly detailed review. Much awaited but very satisfying. Cannot wait for test drive. Are headlights adequate or do they suffer from the same issues the Figo had in the earlier version ?

Can someone please clarify.

I want to buy a AT version, But I read that AT versioned vehcile does not have air bags?
If so why not? AT owners don't care/need for safety?
please:

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoNotHorn (Post 3133460)
Can someone please clarify.

I want to buy a AT version, But I read that AT versioned vehcile does not have air bags?
please:

Cheers

AT version gets 2 airbags and not 6. AT is not available in the top end Titanium (O) variant and only in the Titanium variant. The Titanium (O) gets side and curtain airbags as well as some other features.

Ecosport diesel review is out on Top Gear:
http://www.topgear.com/india/ford/re...esel/itemid-51

They say that it feels more nimble than the Ecoboost variant.

Brilliant review! You guys are the rock stars of the automotive world :thumbs up

I have a question, not sure if it was asked before. Why is the ESP offered only on the auto variant and not on the top manual variant? IIRC, even the fiesta gets the ESP only with the auto tranny. Any specific reason behind this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by thiagust (Post 3133443)

OxyZen and thiagust: You guys/gals made my day. I consider myself fairly informative, but not sure how I missed this. Ford EcoSport had me by my whatever and now I can look for real alternatives. Thanks a bunch!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3133467)
AT version gets 2 airbags and not 6. AT is not available in the top end Titanium (O) variant and only in the Titanium variant. The Titanium (O) gets side and curtain airbags as well as some other features.

Its a bit of strange packaging. To add-on, I believe the so called top-end Titanium (O) does not get ESP.

Saw the Ecosport properly today, it was parked in Gurgaon and I spent a good 10 minutes going through the car. It is not a big car that much is apparent. The Duster is quite big and looks SUVish, this does not, it looks like a Figo on stilts with a really good front design.
The exterior design is really good and looks different to the stuff on offer in today's market.

Even the dash layout is quite well done. The back seat however looks small. I wholly concur that a 5th person will be quite a squeeze. It should be good for city driving and parking because of the small foot print. I hope the pricing is realistic because this really is no SUV. It's a tall hatchback and that's it.

I could live with 2 airbags instead of 6 (though 6 is preferred) but wonder what other features the Titanium (O) has over the Titanium variant for the AT. Generally they tend to throw in some other stuff in an AT model. The AT model in this case has ESP and Hill Hold Control.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3133250)
Sorry to say, Ford, but honestly, no matter how much positive articulation the EcoSport is surrounded by, its just a hatch on stilts, no more and I, like very very many, wouldn't pay 10L (as someone speculated earlier) for the top end EcoBoost. IMHO, It just doesn't justify the price.

One could get real SUV's like the Scorpio or Safari with reasonable equipment levels for ~3lakhs more. No guesses what anyone looking for an SUV would choose given they're compared side by side.

Ford should consider itself fortunate for having got such a detailed review from Team-bhp and soon, with its pricing, show us what it's attitude towards the market is. After all this super-aggressive marketing, hope they don't disappoint with the product positioning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3133367)
No doubt the car looks AWESOME (to me), but say I buy the EcoSport, 1.5L Petrol/Diesel version. Whats the first thing my friends are going to think/ask? "Why not the 'Awesome' EcoBoost version?" Anything I reply will sound like an excuse (to many of the less informed at least), so I'd mostly have to simply say that I couldn't afford one. And that's NOT cool with me. I don't want to look/sound like a 'wannabe'.

It'll be like, the first impression over-orchestrates what's coming next. Debut would be good but then it'd only go downhill. That sort of kills it.

I'm my biggest critic and absolutely open to suggestions/ corrections. Replies welcome, awaited infact.

GrammarNazi, as others have said, comparing the EcoSport to regular, big SUVs is just wrong. This is a new category for a small, high car that looks SUVish and will be used mostly in an urban environment. If you require a regular SUV that can go off road, the EcoSport definitely doesn't cut it.

Your point about the EcoBoost engine is a little bizarre. Firstly, to the uninitiated the engine choice matters the least. They will just be impressed with your new car. Secondly, I think the EcoBoost will sell in very small numbers because of the price and the fact that at the top end of the market AT matters and this engine is not mated to the six-speed PowerShift transmission. As a variant, I think it will mostly serve the purpose of being a technology demonstration/testing platform for Ford.

Lastly, may I humbly submit that your choice of words, being the grammar Nazi and all, stumps me. Positive articulation?? I know what you're trying to say but that usage is awkward. And over-orchestrates I don't understand at all or the need for the hyphen -- what does it define, to deserve one? From one grammar Nazi to another, I'm sure you understand the virtue of using a simple word in place of a complex one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoNotHorn (Post 3133460)

Ecosport AT version has two, not six, airbags which the top variant has. Even the i20 AT does not have side airbags, which the top variant has.

Its a strange market. Its as if these companies are offsetting the higher cost of AT by removing some features to keep the market price down. Probably based on their market assessment and feedback. They should atleast offer extra airbags as after-market fitment option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guite (Post 3133569)
Ecosport AT version has two, not six, airbags which the top variant has. Even the i20 AT does not have side airbags, which the top variant has.

Its a strange market. Its as if these companies are offsetting the higher cost of AT by removing some features to keep the market price down. Probably based on their market assessment and feedback. They should atleast offer extra airbags as after-market fitment option.

Installing after-market airbags?? Dude, that can go scarily wrong! The huge implications it will have on the safety and legal sides are not worth the risk IMO!

Airbag is an extremely complex and highly safety critical feature and it is good that it does not come as after market fitment option. The calibration, the interface with other systems like fuel pump/ instrument cluster/ event data recorder/ body electronics is too cumbersome and no one except the OEM (and the Tier supplier) should have the authority to do any changes. Just my 2 cents!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3133467)

Vidyut,

You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you'd be testing the ecosport 1.5 tdci soon. Do you have any plans to test the automatic variant yet? When can we expect a review of this on team-bhp?

Thanks!