Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-22.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoNanu (Post 3134450)
The reviewer mentions that"
"the stiff suspension setup lends it a certain agility and it’s got a well-weighted steering which, aided to its good body control, makes it really entertaining to drive on the twisty stuff."

@Vid: Is it possible that the diesel and the Ecoboost you drove have different tuning/ calibration for the EPS? Does it make sense to do so? I will be on cloud nine if the steering is as described above instead of the Hyundai-esque nightmare!

This is where it gets interesting.

If you look at the weight of the base model diesel, it is 1248 kilos. The top end titanium diesel is 1290 kilos. The EcoBoost top end titanium is 1259 kilos i.e. 31 kilos lighter than the diesel.

30 kilos is hefty but I really doubt that Ford will change the suspension tuning just for that 30 kilos.

The difference from the base model to the top end is 42 kilos! Ofcourse this weight is distributed all over vs just the front.

Just spoke to some guys in Ford Corporate office; since our offices are on the same floor. The expected launch date is 11th June.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoNanu (Post 3134450)
The reviewer mentions that"
"the stiff suspension setup lends it a certain agility and it’s got a well-weighted steering which, aided to its good body control, makes it really entertaining to drive on the twisty stuff."

@Vid: Is it possible that the diesel and the Ecoboost you drove have different tuning/ calibration for the EPS? Does it make sense to do so? I will be on cloud nine if the steering is as described above instead of the Hyundai-esque nightmare!

AutoCar India and TopGear India reviews on EcoSport diesel's steering feedback are contrasting, don't know whom to believe.:Frustrati

Quoting from TopGear India EcoSport diesel review.

"The steering is light and lacks feel. More importantly, on longer drives you may find your muscles getting tensed up after some time, as you keep 'correcting' it. But despite that, the EcoSport stays a nimble mover. At least, it's better than in the EcoBoost variant, thanks to the excess weight up ahead"

Link for the complete review of EcoSport diesel from TG India website is:

"http://www.topgear.com/india/ford/review-ford-ecosport-diesel/itemid-51"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3134726)
The EcoBoost top end titanium is 1259 kilos i.e. 31 kilos lighter than the diesel.

This 31 kilos upfront might make the steering a tad heavier I feel in Diesel compared to EcoBoost version. But never the less it might not be anywhere close to fiesta's steering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mroptimist (Post 3134765)
This 31 kilos upfront might make the steering a tad heavier I feel in Diesel compared to EcoBoost version. But never the less it might not be anywhere close to fiesta's steering.

Yup, my point basically. The added weight due to a diesel mill will not bring it any closer to the actual calibration change in the EPS as in Fiesta. Also, I could not understand Ford's reply to Vid's query on why such a steering!

If they could have kept it light for urban city drive/ parking/ B2B traffic and weighed it up for highway drives, I think people would not complaint!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3134726)
This is where it gets interesting.

If you look at the weight of the base model diesel, it is 1248 kilos. The top end titanium diesel is 1290 kilos. The EcoBoost top end titanium is 1259 kilos i.e. 31 kilos lighter than the diesel.

30 kilos is hefty but I really doubt that Ford will change the suspension tuning just for that 30 kilos.

The difference from the base model to the top end is 42 kilos! Ofcourse this weight is distributed all over vs just the front.

Does the steering weighing up with higher speeds link to the way the power is delivered by the engine? Or is it just a function of the weight and suspension setup? :confused:

Also, i think such kinds of inputs are quite subjective to the drivers own experience. For someone who has been doing this for a while and across a large section of vehicles (read Ferrari to fiat, sedan, suv, hatch back, tanks, trucks etc) , the nuances are noticeable. For someone who has limited experience, such subtle differences may be hard to notice.

I wouldn't really bother much unless someone is ringing alarm bells. For most driving styles out there except the enthusiast, every one says the Ecosport handles itself pretty well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipcarlover (Post 3134472)
However, please also check the EcoBoost review from ACI, if the review mentions a similar thing, it may be that their standards are different from Vid's standards.

Good point you made there. ACI seem to downplay the lightness in eco boost version-

Quote:

The steering is just phenomenal and and comes with Ford’s ‘Pull Drift Compensation’, which corrects the steering when it detects a pull caused by crosswinds or a crowned road surface. It’s light, yet full of feel and delightfully quick, which makes you want to throw this car around every corner.
Link - http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...t-drive.aspx/4

I am little confused when they say it's light yet full of feel.

Come to think of it the Ecosport is the Swift of this decade. agree:

Just as Swift arrived into the scene and has been the best seller for nearly ten years now and even now it feels timeless and contemporary (even the 1 st gen Swifts), the Ecosport looks to rule the premium hatch, entry sedans and even mid size sedan space for many years to come.

Think of why it will do it-
  1. Futuristic design which seems very modern and age very slowly with stylish interiors and decent build quality both inside and outside
  2. This is an out an out urban vehicle with dimensions, setup and controls (light steering etc) built for the crowded cities
  3. More than adequate ground clearance of 200mm can easily tackle those badly planned road humps and even potholed roads of our cities
  4. Frugal power plants which includes the brilliant 1.0 litre Ecoboost with good fuel efficiency and sufficient power on tap enhancing driveability
  5. Compact packaging seating 4 grownups and a decent amount of luggage space (compared to hatches) which caters to a huge majority of urban dwellers with their nuclear family in tow
Just hoping that Ford realizes its true potential and does not screw up on its pricing and behave in a high handed fashion and makes most out of the huge pent up demand out there in the market.

Actually as we speak, many people whom we know around shopping for a car have parked their decision just to check out the Ecosport and it would not be hard to imagine if this vehicle will not sell at least in 5 digits for a few years to come. Bring it on Ford!

And yes a superb review there by vidds and GTO which is a benchmark and a great reference point for a lot of potential buyersclap:

I agree. In fact I have also said in the thread earlier that Ecosport can touch 10K figures if priced...Well, not greedily :D

This query is about colors. I can see in the official review that many pics are of a blue car. When I went to the Ford dealer in JP Nagar, Bangalore, he said he is sure blue will not be available for two more years (like Figo got yellow and blue only now). Does someone have pics of the blue Ecosport and also throw some light on whether that's an available color?

Eyeing for one seriously. Not much worried about the light steering as I am used to the steering of Verna 1.6 CRDI & cruise comfortably at 120-130 kmph. Not worried for little less space at the rear nor about the lesser boot space. What I am worried about is the stiff ride quality which the official review has pointed out. Just love the ride in a Duster which is the prime competitor at the moment for the Eco-Sport.I just get an uncomfortable feeling that Ford might have made it much more stiffer than actually required on the pretext of better highway manners, sportiness etc. etc. Will it be a deal breaker for me? Fingers crossed. Else it seems to have all I ever wanted, though I may miss the brute power of my current car, particularly power beyond 120 kmph. I am sure non of the engines of Ecosport can match 1.6 CRDI in terms of the time taken to reach say 150 kmph from 120 kmph. This may not be required everyday, but comes handy while making overtaking maneuvers & of course it is always better to have some power in reserve.

Cheers

Not sure of this has been discussed already, however there was a news yesterday on the Ford's F-150 Truck sporting the 1.5 Ecoboost engine having issues. Now it is to be seen how does the 1.0 Ecoboost fairs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...probe/2367197/

We keep hearing reports of dealers starting 'unofficial' bookings at 50k. We've also heard that Deloitte will be managing the bookings.

This makes me wonder - what happens if Ford mandates that all bookings occur only via Deloitte? In my speculated scenario, the dealership's role would then boil down to closing the sale and managing the logistics of delivery & handover... but accepting the bookings would rest with Deloitte.

In such a case, what would happen to these unofficial bookings, since Deloitte might not really care about or honour these?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT (Post 3135180)
Ford's F-150 Truck sporting the 1.5 Ecoboost engine having issues. Now it is to be seen how does the 1.0 Ecoboost fairs.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...probe/2367197/

Here is an interesting link about the wrong application of the Ecoboost engines and also has a mention of the Ford F-150.

http://rockyroadblog.com/stupid-tech...t-engines-2244

I tend to agree with the logic here. The Ecosport with the ecoboost engine will almost entirely rely on the turbo to power the car. Almost every review confirms that there is a significant turbo lag and things start looking up only from about 1800-2000 rpm.

What is the sense in powering a car that is almost 1300kg or more, if with additional passengers, with a tiny engine that must always be kept on the boil and would otherwise completely struggle to power the car, especially in pulling away smartly or trudging along in slow moving traffic. It is eventually going to consume more fuel in doing things its not capable of doing without that push from the turbo.

If anyone has noticed, hardly any review from the Goa press event have talked about mileage. Maybe it was not possible for them to extensively test the real world economy because the route etc was pre planned. But a couple of preliminary reviews have already gone to suggest that the onboard display did not show more than 7.9kmpl during the run.

This is worrying because Ford is clearly charging a premium for this engine and the extra bucks may not pose a favourable cost to benefit ratio if this is proved true. And if the real world economy is indeed 7-8kmpl, I would be much more comfortable with a simpler (and less complex) naturally aspirated 1.6 engine that doesn't miss a beat and would ultimately provide the same economy (or the lack of it). This would dent the ecoboost engine's credibility in the market in the long run. As the article says, maybe a better idea would be to plonk a slightly larger capacity engine (Say a 1.2 like the Polo GTI) with direct injection and a turbo. The car would still be able to claim the excise benefits in doing so.

The 1.5 Petrol variant is likely to be relatively expensive given that it wont qualify for the excise benefit. This leads me to the argue that the Ecoboost engine should have been offered across the range including the base model.

Therefore, it is evident to me that the bulk of the sales are going to come from the diesel version. I have not driven the Fiesta with the 1.5TDCi but from what I read, its an adequate engine and nothing more.

I just wish that atleast one of the engine options had a clear USP going for it. Each of the engine options seems to be lacking in atleast one crucial factor, with only the diesel appearing to be an all rounder from a price, performance and mileage standpoint. Needless to say, I hope am proved wrong.

The front fascia is overdesigned & very blinding. I tried a bit here to tone down the fanciness to bring it more towards Ford's class & less to mahindra's silliness (XUV). I don't see the point in calling the original design futuristic. It is crowded & confusing. I for one cant place my sight at any point as it starts to draw all kinds of shapes by itself.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-hideous.jpg
src:tbhp

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedragula (Post 3135331)
Here is an interesting link about the wrong application of the Ecoboost engines and also has a mention of the Ford F-150.

http://rockyroadblog.com/stupid-tech...t-engines-2244

I have a general query after reading this artical. This applies to all the cars having turbo(mostly diesels have it in india now).

As per the artical, Turbo spin also needs power which comes by burning more fuel. Point taken as it makes sense.

Now does this mean that cars that have low turbo lag(by giving the boost much earlier than 2K RPM) will suffer from lower fuel economy ?

Mahindra Quanto seem to be having twin turbo, but it also has heavy weight to chug. So let me compare similar options such as Amaze Diesel and Dzire diesel

Amaze has 1.5ltrs engine where as Dzire has 1.25 ltr engine. And we know that Dzire turbo comes bit late as compared to flat torque coming from Amaze(But Turbo charger also seems to be kicking in early isnt it ?) So does it mean that Dzire(or cars that have the turbo kicking post 2000 rpm will end up to be the better fuel saving option ?