Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-24.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n (Post 3135710)
Yes, even I'm waiting for that. Just read the diesel version review on the HT website, but doesn't answer my questions. I am more interested in the 1.5L petrol performance. The EcoBoost engine maybe revolutionary but a comparison with a regular, tried and tested 1.5L Ford engine would put a lot of other items in perspective- especially the driveability. Again, pricing is the key. If the 1.5L is equal to or less than the EcoBoost variant in terms of cost, then I wonder if the EcoBoost would be able to set the sales charts on fire?

I am also looking for a review for the 1.5 AT. Then, I checked out the reviews (Team-bhp) and various others on Youtube, etc. :)

Referring to the Ford Fiesta Powershift. Don't know how much is the weight difference between the two, but I guess not so much. Most reviewers came up with a very favourable overall driving impression. Only differences in the At box, Fiesta box did not have tiptronic, and had a "L" mode instead of "S", which is offer on ecosport.

I had done a test-drive Fiesta AT, though fairly long back. From what I remember, low end torque was not that great, it was just about slightly better than my 1.3L Getz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3135878)
No not at all. The suspension is set based on the springs and dampers used. Both of these cannot be tuned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sridhar-v (Post 3136061)
One could go in for Koni dampers & adjust to one's liking. But will be at an additional cost & possibly cast a shadow on the warranty.

My long wait for the Ecosport has probably come to nought at this point. Will wait for a test drive anyway. If only they come up with different setups in different variants, like commuter and sports variants.

Cars these days are so complicated and tightly integrated that there is no flexibility. Gone are the days of road side mechanics tuning carburettor, adding or removing leafs from leaf spring, shock absorbers were made stiff or soft with just a few turns with a metal rod.

Wonderful review. Hope that Ford gets it right this time, and they don't repeat the fusion story.

Anyways, had a look at one example here in Gurgaon the other night. The headlights have a surprisingly good illumination. And in the night time, it does look bigger than 4000 mm.

Excellent and Comprehensive review. A couple of weeks ago i saw a Ecosport in BTM Layout Bangalore. The car looked fresh on the road and it was parked on the sidewalk. It was raining and I could not stop to click any photos. The only feature which could have been better is the A Pillar. It can be a tad difficult to take right turns especially in some of the smaller interior roads. May be by adjusting the seating and with time it will become easier to manage. Looking forward to the test drive.

Unlike many others, I saw the Ecosport for the first time on Ahmedabad roads yesterday. It was the often spotted TN registered vehicle.

While the overall design looks fresh and dynamic, the proportions are no more than a tall hatchback. Except for the huge spare wheel on the back, I don't know how people call it a Mini-SUV. It feels more like a Mirco-SUV to me! As of today, the Duster alone holds the position for a proper Mini-SUV.

To whoever is planning on pre-booking the Ecosport, I would suggest see it in person at least once. You may or may not change your mind, but it's really not my idea of a substitute for a macho-looking brute!

I got to drive the Ecosport diesel yesterday (don't ask me how !) and I must say I'm quite impressed with this mini SUV. Ford are aptly marketing it as an urban SUV.

I won't go into too much detail as the official review covers all aspects of the car in more detail than I can imagine !

To comment on the diesel engine, after the 1.4 TDCi I'd say from the NVH point of view this engine is in a different planet. It could be the damping of the Ecosport, but the engine feels nice and refined with hardly any engine noise seeping into the cabin. The engine is very linear and there is sufficient power for the city. On the highway, it will satisfy 90% of people's requirement, but enthusiasts would have liked a little more.

On the other points mentioned in the review, I can add a few points;

EcoSport Diesel Review added to the opening page. Direct link to post.

Since some BHPians asked for pictures of the car in a different colour, we've included some exterior angles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3136491)
EcoSport Diesel Review added to the opening page. Direct link to post.

Since some BHPians asked for pictures of the car in a different colour, we've included some exterior angles.

I was waiting for this.
Just one query on messy engine bays. Not that i am going to keep it open and show off with friends, but just curious why Engine cover is missing on both EcoBoost and this diesel engine ? Even Chevy Enjoy did not have it.

I want to understand the techincal reasons behind leaving the engine like that. Could this be due to heating or any such issue ? or plain cost cutting measure

Raj, cost cutting only. Also why EcoSport has single blade wipers where the Fiesta gets dual.

Lets hope these measures result in a pricing strategy better than the Fiestas!

Kudos++ to T-Bhp for this excellent review, This is how a review should be. Covers everything in a user perspective.

coming to the Ecosport, I was extremly dissapointed while reading 'Steering is Hyundai-ish', 'Not like Ford' etc. One of the USP for Ford. I was seriously considering it as my next upgrade, but this is a big let down atleast for me.

Ford says this is what market wants? They may be right, I even heard one of the lady reviewer on some News channel's auto review saying Steering is the big let down in Figo due to its heaviness. :deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiat_tarun (Post 3136490)
The steering is definitely light and very unlike a Ford. I have not driven the new Fiesta, so I can't compare the two. Having said that I would not say it is as bad as a Hyundai.

You must try driving it at high speed. The steering requires constant corrections to move in a straight line. Only other car I've seen this in is the Hyundai Verna.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3136572)
You must try driving it at high speed. The steering requires constant corrections to move in a straight line. Only other car I've seen this in is the Hyundai Verna.

Oh GTO, there goes all my hopes of an Ecosport!
After reading Vid mention it as Hyundai-esque, I had a broken heart and now you post this!
Ford, why did you have to do this? The problem is not that I don't enjoy behind such a steering, which is true, but more than that, I feel scary to be honest with such steering. :Shockked:

Must say an excellent review. I had always neglected Ford as a brand and mini SUVs as a concept. But Ecosport has to a great extent changed my beliefs in both aspects. I am eagerly waiting for the prices to be announced. Believe that the base version should be slightly below 8 L on road in Mumbai.

Ford and Hyundai should actually exchange their engines (diesel in particular) !

Autocar numbers suggest Ecosport TDCi mightnot have performance any better than Swift diesel which is little disappointing. Yes the refinement and driveability might be good but some more power might have made this car the best by in its price range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3136491)
EcoSport Diesel Review added to the opening page. Direct link to post. s.

Excellent review of the diesel motor.

GTO - One question though, "Kitna Deti Hai"? :D Were you able to calculate the FE of the diesel Ecosport? If it is better than that of the Duster then a lot of buyers might turn towards the Ecosport.