Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-16.html)

As always, awesome review Vid, GTO. Its good to see the current global model from Ford coming to our shores.

Looks like the media drive at Goa had few international journos. Heres a short review of Made in India Ecosport from down under.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/230873/f...osport-review/

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxyzen (Post 3133162)
Pardon me for saying this but I am terribly disappointed with the car.

First of all is the weight. It is about 100 kilos heavier than the bigger and larger Duster. But if you really compare it with sub 4 metres hatchbacks like others claim, it is 300 kg heavier than Swift, Brio and 350 kg heavier than Liva. That means it is 40% heavier than Liva. The weight is the one thing that kills everything. It kills handling. It kills performance, fuel efficiency, braking pretty much everything you can think of. I find is surprising that the Eco boost engine variant weighs 60kg more. That is more strange when they claim that the engine itself is 97kg. I think since ecoboost engine is available in the top end version is is loaded (literally) with unwanted features.

You missed one important bit thats 'Safety'. The heavier body of Ecosport can be a saviour in case of an accident. Comparing it with the likes of Brio/Liva is unfair IMO. I would rather have my family travelling in Ecosport than in Liva which looks like a tin can on wheels (NOM to the owners).

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxyzen (Post 3133251)
Stay in Gurgaon before you criticize Bangalore. It has got practically no drainage system. Thank god the rains are rare.

In that case, with such locations, I would anyday prefer higher GC to a sedan with higher speced engine. Of course that is my personal choice.

Quote:

It is refined but is nowhere as punchy as the 1.6L from Vento or Hyundai. I once drove the 1.5 TDCI and compared to the Vento is has more lag, a weaker midrange and does not like to be revved as much as the Vento. But yes it is smooth and a lot more refined.
And the brilliant chassis like Fiesta deserves a lot better engine. Trust me.
A 1.6 would have been preferred no doubt. To me the Ecosport comparison with a C-segment sedan may not a right one. Because if one is looking at the C-segment, then one is looking for space. So there is no point looking at Ecosport. Again I make this point without getting price into the question. I also mentioned earlier as you said; no amount of Gadgets can be a compromise for space if that is what one needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxyzen (Post 3133251)

It is not about being bad. It is about spoiling the Excise benefit of a Sub 4m Car.

It does not spoil the excise benefit as in case of Diesel engine the limit of engine capacity is 1.5ltr and not 1.2

Guys, it's a no-brainer. Duster is a better SUV. It has better space, better ride, better SUVish looks, loads of chrome, and mediocre interiors, all hallmarks of a sub 10L SUV. Anybody looking for a sub 10L SUV should not look beyond the Duster.

But, all I know is that Ecosport is the perfect CAR for me. It is as if Ford picked all the right ingredients from all the segments (hatch, sedan and SUV) to create something that is perfect for me.

I hope all the SUV wannabes would stay away when the Ecosport is launched. I am hoping for a smaller rush when the booking starts. Have been waiting for over a year for the car, and can't deal with another waiting period.

Amazing Review. Thank you GTO and Vid!

I saw the car in flesh and too a walk around and sat inside it. I love the SYNC feature - Wish more cars would provide it! please: I like the car - but i will not consider this as a compact SUV. At best this is a premium hatch with some gadgetry and a raised GC. Thats not a bad thing - many city dwellers might actually buy it - assuming Ford do the pricing like its a premium hatch.

I do not find much to compare between Duster and Ecosport. Duster looks like a compact SUV, has much better space and ride quality. Personally i like the looks of Duster better as well (subjective).

If i were in the market for a primarily city car, i might choose Ecosport (over Duster), assuming Ford keeps the price realistic and well below Duster. Lets see if they are going to make this a Fiesta dud of a Figo hit. For a car thats driven mostly on long trips, Duster 110ps would be my first choice.

A thought comes to my mind after reading 16 pages of reviews and comments , Is the Ford 1.5 so bad that it is outrightly dismissed by everybody in this forum? As far as I know that is the petrol engine going in all the future Ford cars . If that is the case would Ford really put a boulder on their own feet. Now I read through the Fiesta review and the 1.5L was compared to a 1.6L Ford engine. Yes I agree that is it little underpowered than 1.6L.

But the real question is how does it compare with its peers i.e VW , or Verna ?

Quote:

First of all is the weight. It is about 100 kilos heavier than the bigger and larger Duster. But if you really compare it with sub 4 metres hatchbacks like others claim, it is 300 kg heavier than Swift, Brio and 350 kg heavier than Liva. That means it is 40% heavier than Liva.

Heard of tank-like build? Something typical of the European cars and all the Japanese cars that you have compared are built feather lite. The Grande Punto was once weighing about 1190 before it went on a 60Kg diet!

Quote:

The weight is the one thing that kills everything. It kills handling. It kills performance, fuel efficiency, braking pretty much everything you can think of. I find is surprising that the Eco boost engine variant weighs 60kg more. That is more strange when they claim that the engine itself is 97kg.
Kills Handling? Not really, the heavy Grande Punto, the Global Fiesta or any of the European cars are best when it comes to handling. I agree the heavy kerb weight affects the FE to an extent, but everything else only gets better.

Quote:

I think since ecoboost engine is available in the top end version is is loaded (literally) with unwanted features.
Unwanted features? Curtain airbags & Side airbags, calling 108 when the occupants of the car are in an emergency is an unwanted feature that comes in a Nikon D7100 or an Alienware laptop?

Quote:

The next thing is ride and handling. Nobody buys a SUV for craving corners. So there is no point in making the ride stiff to control body roll with such a high CG. The Duster has a perfect ride/handling balance. The main reason for buying SUV is dismissing bad rods without slowing down. Exactly what the duster does. Of course I dont mean it to be like SUMO or Safari but you get the point!
Yes, Duster is still the benchmark. The Ford being a Ford works best at corners, more to do with the dna of these cars.

Quote:

I must also say that I do not even like the looks that much. In isolation it looks fine. However I remember a visual comparison here itself between Ecosport and Duster side by side. The Duster made the Eco-sport look like a hatch on stilts.
Well, thats personal!

Quote:

The 1.5 Diesel is probably the one that is going to provide max volumes and that one is not fascinating by any standards if the Fiesta is anything to go by. The 1.5L petrol is hopeless and the idea of putting it in the sub 4m car is laughable. SO it comes to the one and only 1L Eco boost engine. And what they have done is make it unavailable in the base versions.
Who said the 1.5L petrol is a slouch when compared to the other engines? Its not as exciting as the 1.6L Duratec, but it does a fairly decent job in the New Fiesta.

Quote:

It is like "you can have the Eco boost but then you shall also have to have the crap that we will sell along with it."
What crap!? :P

Quote:

Coming to the eco-boost engine extracting 125 BHP from a 1L turbocharged engine has a drawback. It is called Turbo lag. And it amplifies with tall gearing. And these are all very well cleared up in the review. So thanks Ford Anyway.
Spend a little time on understanding the tech behind the EcoBoost engine and also understand that in a TC'ed engine, the power is not always at your disposal, you have to be at the right gear at the right time. May be you should wait for your chance to TD one before you make perceptions as facts!

Quote:

The problem is Ecosport is not a complete package. It will suffer from the same problem that is there with the Beat. These cars do not target any particular customers. Obviously the Eco-sport is not for enthusiasts.
What problem with the Beat, its the best selling hatch for Chevy.

If the EcoSport was for enthusiasts, the media event would have been planned at the Buddh Circuit and not in the streets of Goa like Ford did for the New Fiesta at Buddh and for the 1.6S at the track in Chennai.

Quote:

The T-Jet, Polo GT, Vento TDi offer much better Engines and probably better handling.
Yes!

Quote:

It is also not for being chauffeur driven. Thanks to the stiff ride.
lol:

Quote:

For people looking for an AT, The Polo with the DSG is a superb choice.
True, they just have to stock a few DQ200 gearboxes and they are just fine :uncontrol

Quote:

Come on Ford nobody in India Syncs their phone before leaving for office. And nobody will use the stupid voice command once the initial euphoria dies down.
May not be the stupid voice command, but I am sure lot of folks connect their phones if there is a bluetooth connectivity. I do that, saves me the hassle of reaching the phone if I have to answer a call or bother to adjust the music volume in the car when I am on the phone.

The most awaited review is here. Thanks for the extremely detailed review GTO and Vid. Considering an upgrade from a hatchback, how would this perform offroad? Now for me offroad won't be that typical hardcore offroading, but going to places where they have non-existant roads.

No doubt the car looks AWESOME (to me), but say I buy the EcoSport, 1.5L Petrol/Diesel version. Whats the first thing my friends are going to think/ask? "Why not the 'Awesome' EcoBoost version?" Anything I reply will sound like an excuse (to many of the less informed at least), so I'd mostly have to simply say that I couldn't afford one. And that's NOT cool with me. I don't want to look/sound like a 'wannabe'.

It'll be like, the first impression over-orchestrates what's coming next. Debut would be good but then it'd only go downhill. That sort of kills it.

I'm my biggest critic and absolutely open to suggestions/ corrections. Replies welcome, awaited infact.

Quote:

First of all is the weight. It is about 100 kilos heavier than the bigger and larger Duster. But if you really compare it with sub 4 metres hatchbacks like others claim, it is 300 kg heavier than Swift, Brio and 350 kg heavier than Liva. That means it is 40% heavier than Liva. The weight is the one thing that kills everything. It kills handling. It kills performance, fuel efficiency, braking pretty much everything you can think of. I find is surprising that the Eco boost engine variant weighs 60kg more. That is more strange when they claim that the engine itself is 97kg. I think since ecoboost engine is available in the top end version is is loaded (literally) with unwanted features.

Understand that you are disappointed with the Ecosport, but I am quite confused with your reasons. Ecosport is 100 kg heavier than duster and it kills the handling, performance and everything? A Mini Countryman or the Yeti is heavier than the Duster as well. Not sure if that makes the Countryman a lesser one compared to the Duster. Weight reduction can be obtained either by using lightweight but rigid materials, or by just using thin metal.

Anyway, it’s good for the customers to have options. Both Duster and Ecosport are indeed playing in the same field, and I think the success of the latter will be purely based on the pricing. And because of its compact size, and availability of AT option, the Ecosport can actually get into the consideration of those who are looking at small hatchbacks in the vicinity of 9-10 lakhs.

And I am kind of interested to know what you classify as unwanted features /crap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eq24 (Post 3133053)
Well yeah, given the above conditions, why not. But usually these conditions are few and far between. More over CC makes you relax real good, imagine in a country like ours where any time anything can jump on the road, it is good to be attentive.
I have experienced in the UK when you are a bit tired and CC is engaged, the roads are straight and minimum input is required from the driver, it is not very difficult to doze off for a few seconds. Has happened to me once, thankfully I corrected it before anything could happen. I think that's why most good cars in the UK have attention assist. To prevent such cases from happening.

eq24 and slowrider: Thanks! Very good points by both of you. Dozing off on cruise control is a distinct possibility, as we tend to start our long journeys early morning. Having said that, in my experience, Bangalore to Goa, Chennai and Kerala (through Salem) presents us with stretches where CC is very useful. Especially to Goa. There are long and desolate stretches where you wish the car drives by itself. If its not much of a hardware cost, then better to be future proof than sorry, especially if the feature is present in their existing lineup (Fiesta). CC also increases fuel efficiency.

I think over the years biggest problem with Ford cars have been lack of rear seat space - be it Figo or Fiesta.

Figo being a small car, I guess lack of space is pardonable but in case of Fiesta which was marketed as a premium sedan, the product just failed to take off.

I am surprised Ford has not learnt its lessons and is offering a hatch which has a large SUVish body from the outside and a small Swift like rear space inside.

Even if we look at some pics or videos of the all new Fiesta sedan or hatch which is yet to be launched in India, the rear space again seems to be congested.

I was going through some tweets related to EcoSport and came across a reply from Renuka Kriplani where she says that rear space in terms of legroom and width of EcoSport could be similar to that of Swift.

What a shocker!

Quote:

First of all is the weight. It is about 100 kilos heavier than the bigger and larger Duster.

I must also say that I do not even like the looks that much. In isolation it looks fine. However I remember a visual comparison here itself between Ecosport and Duster side by side. The Duster made the Eco-sport look like a hatch on stilts.

The problem is Ecosport is not a complete package. It will suffer from the same problem that is there with the Beat. These cars do not target any particular customers. Obviously the Eco-sport is not for enthusiasts.

For people looking for an AT, The Polo with the DSG is a superb choice.

As an everyday commuter there are cheaper options like Amaze & Dzire (most probably). The only way for the Eco-sport to have some success if they can price it on par with them which looks like to be a distant dream considering the level of equipment. Come on Ford nobody in India Syncs their phone before leaving for office. And nobody will use the stupid voice command once the initial euphoria dies down.

Good contrarian view with interesting adjectives!

The very first page shows the EcoSport has a better power to weight ratio than Duster. Correct me if I am wrong...doesn't this indicate weight is not much of a concern?

Your comments on looks is purely personal.

Just checked VWs website. Polo is not offered with an AT. Can you please post a link about the car you are talking about?

Buying a cheap car may not be everybody's cup. I would like to pay for performance (within my defined boundaries). BTW, I have been paring my phone with an external bluetooth car unit for the past three years - daily. Nobody syncing is too big an umbrella :)

Awesome review of what i feel is ford's trump card in the "pseudo" SUV segment that has caught India's fancy at the moment. Great one Vidyut'ji and GTO'ji! I loved the way everything about the car has been covered. Yup, no international mags for us bhpians when we have such quality of content being put forth by our beloved mods. Keep em' coming!

That aside, with regards to space and equipment levels, i feel the ecosport will now be a definite choice and on the radar for many a prospective customer. I dare say ford has learnt a few things from the Indian market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsdbsd (Post 3133428)
Just checked VWs website. Polo is not offered with an AT. Can you please post a link about the car you are talking about?

The link is below
http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en/model...I/gallery.html