Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2018, 16:37   #3136
sud
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
I faced a weird issue today. I was driving at around 20 to 25 kmph and the gear selection was in D2. Then there was a shudder and I could sense that the gear is disengaged and there is no response from throttle. Since I was in slow speed and less traffic situation I could move to left side to stop. Then I moved the lever to neutral and put back to drive then it was again back to normal.

This behaviour seems very dangerous. Is it an indication of the DSG failure.

I will take it to service center once I am back in Bangalore.
So Tafe Access confirmed that it is a mechatronics failure. They have applied for extended warranty claim. My service advisor is saying it might take another day or two for the approval to come. I don't understand why it takes so much time for their approval

Also only tomorrow I can get an update on part availability as well.

For the replacement of mechatronics,
1. Anything specifically should I tell SA to take care or check?
2. Anything specifically to check while taking the delivery?
Old 20th September 2018, 16:42   #3137
BHPian

Quote:
So Tafe Access confirmed that it is a mechatronics failure..
Since yours is Octavia, I guess its a 6 speed wet clutch DSG or do you have Octavia TSI with 7 speed DSG.

Does the 6 speed wet clutch DSG also has a failure rate similar to that of dry clutch 7 speed DSG of Vento/Rapid/Octavia TSI.

I was of the opinion that only the 7 speed dry clutch DSG gearbox has issues.

Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 20th September 2018 at 16:44.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 16:44   #3138
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Since yours is Octavia, I guess its a 6 speed wet clutch DSG.

Does the 6 speed wet clutch DSG also has a failure rate similar to that of dry clutch 7 speed DSG of Vento/Rapid/Octavia TSI.

Thanks.
It is Octavia 1.8 TSI and it comes with 7 speed dry clutch DSG.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 16:48   #3139
BHPian

Quote:
So Tafe Access confirmed that it is a mechatronics failure. They have applied for extended warranty claim. My service advisor is saying it might take another day or two for the approval to come. I don't understand why it takes so much time for their approval

Also only tomorrow I can get an update on part availability as well.

For the replacement of mechatronics,
1. Anything specifically should I tell SA to take care or check?
2. Anything specifically to check while taking the delivery?
That's Surprising. As per what i read in the earlier thread, you did a 1000km trip after the gear disengaging. If it was a mechatronics failure, how did you manage such a long trip without any hiccup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Since yours is Octavia, I guess its a 6 speed wet clutch DSG or do you have Octavia TSI with 7 speed DSG.

Thanks.
Sud's Octavia is the 1.8 TSi which has the 7 speed dry clutch DSG - DQ200 gearbox
Old 20th September 2018, 17:57   #3140
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
That's Surprising. As per what i read in the earlier thread, you did a 1000km trip after the gear disengaging. If it was a mechatronics failure, how did you manage such a long trip without any hiccup?
In fact after the issue, I totally drove around 1300 kms. It ran flawless. I will check with service advisor tomorrow exactly what happened to mechatronics unit. He also confirmed that clutch pack is fine and the issue is only with mechatronics. Any other part diagnostics should I ask them to do?
Old 21st September 2018, 21:53   #3141
sud
BHPian

Quote:
In fact after the issue, I totally drove around 1300 kms. It ran flawless. I will check with service advisor tomorrow exactly what happened to mechatronics unit. He also confirmed that clutch pack is fine and the issue is only with mechatronics. Any other part diagnostics should I ask them to do?
When I checked with the service advisor, he said that the fault has been registered in the ECU and during the scan it showed up.

Parts and Labour is approved under extended warranty. Parts are ordered but have to wait for a week. This waiting is the part I don't like at all.

Also since it is in extended warranty Skoda has approved only the part, labour. But I have to pay for the nuts, bolts & oil. Why this cheap tactics Skoda
Old 26th September 2018, 18:40   #3142
sud
BHPian

Quote:
When I checked with the service advisor, he said that the fault has been registered in the ECU and during the scan it showed up.

Parts and Labour is approved under extended warranty. Parts are ordered but have to wait for a week. This waiting is the part I don't like at all.

Also since it is in extended warranty Skoda has approved only the part, labour. But I have to pay for the nuts, bolts & oil. Why this cheap tactics Skoda
So finally the parts have arrived. They are now working on fixing it. Any suggestions on what to keep in mind while taking delivery apart from doing a long test drive.
Old 29th September 2018, 18:13   #3143
sud
BHPian

Quote:
So finally the parts have arrived. They are now working on fixing it. Any suggestions on what to keep in mind while taking delivery apart from doing a long test drive.
Got my ride back today. Following items replaced under warranty:
- Mechatronics
- O2 sensor

For mechatronics, "Transmission Fluid Pressure Too Low" is fault code registered when the issue happened. Seems like it points to mechatronics failure (not sure what other diagnostics they did) and hence replaced.

For O2 sensor, the warning light came up few months back. At that time, they have just reset the error thinking it might be temporary. But again the warning light did a peek-a-boo recently. So asked them to check that as well. After diagnosis, they have replaced the faulty sensor.

Drove about 50 kms and all seemed fine.
sud is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 06:58   #3144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got my ride back today. Following items replaced under warranty:
- Mechatronics
- O2 sensor
Good to hear it's back!

How much did you shell out for the incidentals? How much is the part cost of the Mechatronics on your bill even if replaced under warranty?
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 08:03   #3145
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Good to hear it's back!

How much did you shell out for the incidentals? How much is the part cost of the Mechatronics on your bill even if replaced under warranty?
Total of Rs.1600 for screws, bolts and transmission oil. The cost of the warranty parts and labour are not mentioned. It just says 'warranty' in the price column. But as per service advisor the part cost is around 1.5 lacs.

Along with this got my wiper blade (Rs. 2631 + Rs. 174 - labour) and turn signal indicator (Rs. 1268 + 216 - labour) replaced.

The last wiper blade I replaced exactly 4 months back and it went off pretty soon. I really need to try some other alternative for the wiper blade.

Last edited by sud : 30th September 2018 at 08:04.
sud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2018, 10:44   #3146
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Total of Rs.1600 for screws, bolts and transmission oil. The cost of the warranty parts and labour are not mentioned. It just says 'warranty' in the price column. But as per service advisor the part cost is around 1.5 lacs.

Along with this got my wiper blade (Rs. 2631 + Rs. 174 - labour) and turn signal indicator (Rs. 1268 + 216 - labour) replaced.

The last wiper blade I replaced exactly 4 months back and it went off pretty soon. I really need to try some other alternative for the wiper blade.
After these replacements, I was noticing a better response from engine. On further reading, realised that O2 sensor adjusts fuel mapping and hence will have an impact on the performance. I didn't really feel the drop in performance earlier may be because it was gradual. Now I clearly see a better response. I should have read about it earlier

Another minor irritating point on the gear lever which I face: I frequently use the manual shift mode using the gear lever (somehow I am more comfortable with it than the paddle shifters). In this mode I keep doing up and down as required. Now I sometimes repeat the same when the lever is in D mode and this makes it to go to N. It would have been better if there was a some kind of lock or different position to move to N.
Old 6th October 2018, 01:58   #3147
BHPian

Guys , small query with regard to the Octavia.
We are planning an upgrade to the 1.8 TSI Octavia ( Still on the cards)
I was just wondering if the car is prone to electro-mechanical failures as such?
Most of the posts that I have read here are primarily about the DSG gearbox and the problems that they cause.
However as most of the people that post here are owners of the Octavia , I'm hoping I can get a definitive answer if the car is worth investing in ?
Old 7th October 2018, 10:48   #3148
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshar890 View Post
Guys , small query with regard to the Octavia.
We are planning an upgrade to the 1.8 TSI Octavia ( Still on the cards)
I was just wondering if the car is prone to electro-mechanical failures as such?
Most of the posts that I have read here are primarily about the DSG gearbox and the problems that they cause.
However as most of the people that post here are owners of the Octavia , I'm hoping I can get a definitive answer if the car is worth investing in ?
When I was making the buying decision, I was well aware of
1. Skoda's famous (rather in famous) after sales support
2. DQ200 gear box issues

But I was left with no other choice in the price bracket which will give a real driving pleasure. Even thou' all my fears came true (DSG gone kaput, water pump failure), I am still absolutely happy my decision. It is a brilliant machine and will always put a smile on your face.

Lately after sales support is also getting better and they take feedbacks seriously.

So if you are looking for a real drivers car I am not sure if there are much alternatives you are left with in this price bracket. If vRS is still available for booking that would have solved your DSG concern as well because it comes DQ250 which is more reliable.
sud is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 01:42   #3149
BHPian

Quote:

But I was left with no other choice in the price bracket which will give a real driving pleasure. Even thou' all my fears came true (DSG gone kaput, water pump failure), I am still absolutely happy my decision. It is a brilliant machine and will always put a smile on your face.

Lately after sales support is also getting better and they take feedbacks seriously.

Thanks for the update.
I totally agree with you , with regard to the Octavia being the only car in the segment with true driving pleasure.
Having said that , I was just wondering if you could give me a brief idea as to how much the servicing cost for the Octavia was during your time of ownership ( including breakdowns ) if you don't mind.
This is so that I have a clear idea of what I'm in for before I actually jump into it?
Old 8th October 2018, 22:47   #3150
sud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshar890 View Post
Thanks for the update.
I totally agree with you , with regard to the Octavia being the only car in the segment with true driving pleasure.
Having said that , I was just wondering if you could give me a brief idea as to how much the servicing cost for the Octavia was during your time of ownership ( including breakdowns ) if you don't mind.
This is so that I have a clear idea of what I'm in for before I actually jump into it?
Here is the rough cost I have spent on regular servicing and failed parts:
- 15K service - Rs. 11500
- 30K service - Rs. 12000
- Battery replacement under warranty - Rs. 0
- Fog lamp replacement and coolant topup - Rs. 1000
- wiper blade replacement - Rs. 2900
- 45K service - Rs. 20000 (brake pads replaced. It could have gone for another 5K to 10K. But I asked them to replace)
- LHS Headlamp unit replacement under warranty - Rs. 0 (this was replaced as DRL conked off)
- Water-pump replacement under warranty - Rs. 0
- RHS Headlamp unit replacement (partial claim in extended warranty) - Rs. 6500
- Wiper blade replacement - Rs. 2400
- 60K service - Rs. 14500
- Mechatronics replacement under extended warranty - Rs. 1500 (they charged for bolts and nuts in extended warranty - I don't understand this logic of Skoda)
- Wiper blade replacement - Rs. 2900

If you decide to book one, definitely go for the extended warranty. It gives peace of mind.
sud is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks