Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:36   #1201
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Guys,
Even though the dealers say 6 months waiting period for any model, did anyone get it earlier than 6 months in Bangalore?
I am planning to book one this week.
I visited Tafe access (Hosur road) on 20th Sept. They are quoting waiting period of 3 -4 months for 1.8tsi Elegance white color. Apparently white color can be procured in less than 6 months as per the Sales consultant there.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:26   #1202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
What is the gyan about the Shell Super Petrol. Obviously, the Shell guys think it the fuel from the Gods...what about us ordinary mortals?Is there a true value proposition in paying the premium that this fuel is priced at?
Super petrol from Shell or any other OMC is normal petrol mixed with some detergents that supposedly keep the injectors clean and prevent carbon build up in the engine. Each OMC has their own formula for this.

Filling up Super once in a while for a highway run may be a good idea. But on a regular basis, just pure unadulterated unleaded petrol is the most ideal. I have done enough highway journeys in my Laura TSI with Shell Super/ Shell normal unleaded and petrol from Govt. OMCs with good local reputation. I've never noticed any difference be it in mileage or smoothness or pickup. If you are in Bangalore , Shell normal unleaded is the best bet.

The very fact that they market Super so aggressively should give you a clue. Their margins on selling super is probably double (if not more) than the margins on normal petrol.

If Super had a higher Octane rating, then probably it'd be worth it.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 23rd September 2014 at 11:40.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:55   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It is of the Laura but all the VAG cars have the same mirror opening mechanisms.
The Octavia III's mechanism seems a little different. Here's Superskoda.com's instructions on how to take apart the Octavia's side view mirror:

There's still no sign of the motor though.
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:05   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
The Octavia III's mechanism seems a little different. Here's Superskoda.com's instructions on how to take apart the Octavia's side view mirror:

There's still no sign of the motor though.
Looks like it is a model without the auto folding mirrors. Could not find the motor in the pivoting position.
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:14   #1205
BHPian

I opened up mine and couldn't find the motor either. It looks exactly like in the video. Looks like the motor is safely hidden inside.
joethomasv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:41   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I opened up mine and couldn't find the motor either. It looks exactly like in the video. Looks like the motor is safely hidden inside.

Which part are we supposed to lubricate then? I have temporarily made peace with the mirrors, assuming they are not electrically folding and stay open all the time 😜
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:53   #1207
BHPian

I tried lubricating the pivoting point but didn't make much of a difference.
The auto folding option is the easiest way to make sure the car is locked.
Old 23rd September 2014, 23:03   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried lubricating the pivoting point but didn't make much of a difference.
The auto folding option is the easiest way to make sure the car is locked.
In that case I just lock it twice! And once again after I have walked off about 30-40 meters putting the key to my head, the remote still works
Old 24th September 2014, 19:41   #1209
BHPian

Well the workshop I go to seems to have it pat down on how to solve the problem of the side view mirrors. The problem hasn't cropped up again and the side view open and close smoothly... Just got back from the first inspection too. Kms done 7400. Bill was a moderate 1065/- for 1 litre of oil windshield washer fluid and some distilled water.
Old 25th September 2014, 11:28   #1210
Mtv
BHPian

Picked up my preowned 1.8 TSI Ambition a couple of weeks ago and had it detailed yesterday. The car had only 3.4k km on the ODO and it was hard to not let it go. It's an absolute blast to drive, well worth the money I paid. My only grouse is the horrendous mileage, averaging 6 in the city with the AC on.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-rsz_octy1.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-rsz_octy2.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-rsz_img_2752.jpg  

Mtv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 12:31   #1211
BHPian

Absolute beauty!

BTW i thought 1.8 TSI only came in Elegance trim!? Also, do you mind sharing the price bits..
Monaro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 14:56   #1212
Mtv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
Absolute beauty!

BTW i thought 1.8 TSI only came in Elegance trim!? Also, do you mind sharing the price bits..
The 1.8 Ambition was a limited run production that lasted only a few months. Very few were made because of the skewed demand for the diesel over the petrol. You'd be hard pressed to find even a new 1.8 TSI Elegance with a dealer now.
Old 27th September 2014, 12:26   #1213

Hello guys,
This is my first post,but have been reading up on this forum since last eight months!
Had booked the 1.8TSI Elegance in April from Senator and delivery is expected in the second week of October. That is, exactly six months!
Color is Metal Grey.Will share details as the arrival progresses.

Cheers!
Old 30th September 2014, 19:15   #1214
BHPian

Did first service (15k kms) of my Octy in Tafe access, Hosur road. My first experience with Tafe during the 7.5K kms free inspection was not good, but this time it was all together different experience, all thanks goes to CRM Mr Naveen and service adviser Bharath.

Booked for service and got a reminder call from the service adviser on the day before, this was a surprise as usually from the booking office they give reminder call. Next day reached service station and checked what is the oil used and came to know that they use Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 were as Skoda recommends Castrol Edge 5w-30 for Octy. I was not ready to go with it and after discussing with Naveen he agreed that if I can source the oil from outside they can do it. That day service was done except oil and oil filter change, total cost came to 3.7K. Replaced fuel filter, air filter and pollen filter, all brake pads have some more life and was not replaced.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-service.jpg

Later sourced Castrol Edge 5w-40 from JC road(4370Rs for 5L), could not find Edge 5w-30, anyways many people recommend 5w-40 for Indian driving conditions. Next day went to Tafe and got the oil and filter changed, cost of filter was 400rs and they did not charge any labor cost, again thanks to Naveen.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-oilchange.jpg

Total cost came to 3.7K + 4.3K + 400 = ~8470Rs, definitely not on the higher side for a 20L car, hope it continues like this.
B747 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 21:05   #1215
BHPian

I had booked a 2.0TDI Elegance (Rio Red) in March and cancelled it in July since Vinayak Skoda could not give me any clarity on when I will get the car.

I hoped that the deliveries will get more streamlined in a few months. I called them up last week. It seems the waiting time is 6 months now! During this time, I have changed allegiance to the 1.8TSI (mostly because of the better rear suspension).

The part I am not able to digest is to pay Rs.1 Lakh and wait for 6 months. Not only are they holding the money interest free, they want to deduct 5K in case I want to cancel. Does anybody else find this rather ridiculous? I might have to go for another car just because of this single reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
I visited Tafe access (Hosur road) on 20th Sept. They are quoting waiting period of 3 -4 months for 1.8tsi Elegance white color. Apparently white color can be procured in less than 6 months as per the Sales consultant there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks