Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2021, 22:19   #421
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

I didn't feel anything in the pedal, but noticed a br-br-br-br-br noise as I pulled away from kerb. Couldn't think what it might be, but it made sense when I saw the brake warning light come on almost immediately. That's going to cost me an ABS sensor, I reckon. That'll be the second one.
Old 14th September 2021, 14:57   #422
BHPian

One of my friend is planning to sell his 1.6 TDI and I am considering to buy it from him. It is a 2014 model with 40000km odo.

I want your honest opinion on this ? Is it a good idea to buy 7yr/40k 1.6TDI? Do you think I will spend a lot on maintenance in the coming years?

I want to buy something that I can easily live with. I was considering Etios Liva in the used market. Going to a specific service center in Rajajinagar for maintenance is not something I would enjoy. Any comments much appreciated.
Romins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 11:37   #423
BHPian

[One of my friend is planning to sell his 1.6 TDI and I am considering to buy it from him. It is a 2014 model with 40000km odo.

I want your honest opinion on this ? Is it a good idea to buy 7yr/40k 1.6TDI? Do you think I will spend a lot on maintenance in the coming years?

I want to buy something that I can easily live with. I was considering Etios Liva in the used market. Going to a specific service center in Rajajinagar for maintenance is not something I would enjoy. Any comments much appreciated.]

Go for it, i bought a similar specs with much higher odo meter reading.
you wouldn't find this kind of engine on any other car in new age.
Also its a Fun to drive pocket rocket hot hatch.

Last edited by msvg : 15th September 2021 at 11:38.
msvg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 12:24   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
One of my friend is planning to sell his 1.6 TDI and I am considering to buy it from him. It is a 2014 model with 40000km odo.

I want to buy something that I can easily live with. I was considering Etios Liva in the used market. Going to a specific service center in Rajajinagar for maintenance is not something I would enjoy. Any comments much appreciated.
This is a great find. Go for it.

Just be aware that a low run 1.6 TDI might have injector issues. Account 30k for each injector.

If you aren't going for it, let me know
Kumaran93R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 12:46   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumaran93R View Post
This is a great find. Go for it.

Just be aware that a low run 1.6 TDI might have injector issues. Account 30k for each injector.

If you aren't going for it, let me know
This car is in Bangalore. If you are interested, please PM me, I will connect you to my friend.
Old 15th September 2021, 18:58   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The biggest issue with the 1.6 and 1.5 TDI engines are the injectors. Low run cars are especially susceptible to injector issues. Diesel is hygroscopic in nature. It sits in the tank for long, absorbs moisture and then wrecks the injectors. The Continental make used on this particular car are not very resilient to moisture and that's what eventually leads to injector issues. Factor in 20-25K per injector.

Though the suspension might seem to be in good nick, rubber components will typically age even if they sit for long at one place. So do factor in some parts that you might have to change. The same goes for the timing belt. If it hasn't been changed, change it ASAP. Don't delay any further.
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 20:22   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
The biggest issue with the 1.6 and 1.5 TDI engines are the injectors. Low run cars are especially susceptible to injector issues. Diesel is hygroscopic in nature. It sits in the tank for long, absorbs moisture and then wrecks the injectors. The Continental make used on this particular car are not very resilient to moisture and that's what eventually leads to injector issues. Factor in 20-25K per injector.

Though the suspension might seem to be in good nick, rubber components will typically age even if they sit for long at one place. So do factor in some parts that you might have to change. The same goes for the timing belt. If it hasn't been changed, change it ASAP. Don't delay any further.
Thanks Vishy and Kumaran.
Looks like a bill close to 100k is staring at me upfront and miltiple service centre visits. I am sure the car has not been moved around much during lockdowns. I am not a maintenance freak who enjoys workshop visits on the weekends. I will continue with Uber and Revv like before.
Old 15th September 2021, 23:19   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Go for it.

You wont get this car ever in India again. 1.6 TDi is total rocket of an engine and combined with Polo chassis, it be even more fun compared to Vento.

Expenses that you may incur are
1. Engine Timing Belt change at 8th year. If your friend may have changed it in 5th or 6th year, then you wont incur it. Do check that. VW kept fiddling with duration but correct one is 8th year or 1.2 Lakh kms.

2. You would see nominal annual expense of Rs.10,000 for servicing 1 year/15,000 Kms. I have always got my Vento 1.6 TDi serviced at VW Authorised Service Center for last 10 years.

3. Do check suspension. Front rubber mounting lasts 30,000 kms.

4. You wont face injector issue as stated by other members; is because injectors made post 15 Jun 2012 are updated. My Vento 2011 is driven 41,000 Kms and had all 4 injector changed in 3rd year. Not faced any issue since last 7 years.
Attached campaign details PDF below.

5. Lastly do check whether your friend got the ECU updated for DieselGate issue at VW Workshop. If yes, then you will need to remap it to bring back the 1.6 TDi explosive character.
VW Campaign Number: 23R7

I always refuse it since engine losses it feel and becomes lackluster.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1 6l CR Injectors_Electrical fault-2.pdf (218.7 KB, 195 views)
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 00:01   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2014 GT TDI needed a new injector this time last year. It has required a replacement ABS sensor, and the light is on for another one. I have a gut feeling that another injector may not be far off. Yes, mine is a low mileage car that only does city stuff mostly. I do seem to get through a tankful of diesel most months, though.

It has not occurred to me to do anything about the timing belt. I wouldn't have thought it should.

I've replaced the tyres, which were on the car from new.

Yes, it could be that this is a car which is now going to cost me a bit more each year than the price of some oil and stuff, but I wouldn't be so pessimistic as to think that there is a good chance that buying similar is going to land you with a 1 lakh bill in the near future.

Injectors are available at half the price, reconditioned. Totally no warranty, but hey, that's twice the number of injectors for the same amount of money.

My car has seldom seen the inside of a workshop other than annual service time. With a trusted independent check before buying, you should not be worrying about spending your weekends doing anything else but driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
4. You wont face injector issue as stated by other members; is because injectors made post 15 Jun 2012 are updated. My Vento 2011 is driven 41,000 Kms and had all 4 injector changed in 3rd year. Not faced any issue since last 7 years.
Not impossible. Note my experience. But maybe it is not impossible to face an injector problem on any diesel car. I'm interested to hear you say that, due to an update, the risk is less.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th September 2021 at 00:08. Reason: As requested
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 13:24   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It has required a replacement ABS sensor, and the light is on for another one.
Do have it replaced. One problem leads to more if not fixed in time.

Quote:
Yes, mine is a low mileage car that only does city stuff mostly. I do seem to get through a tankful of diesel most months, though.
Same here. 40k in 10 years. The only thing I do is feed car Reliance Diesel and take rpm to over 4000 once in a while to keep it in best condition.

Quote:
It has not occurred to me to do anything about the timing belt. I wouldn't have thought it should.
8 years / 1.2 Lakh Kms is the interval.

Do have it replaced as its rubber part next year since your car is 2014 make.

Quote:
Not impossible. Note my experience. But maybe it is not impossible to face an injector problem on any diesel car. I'm interested to hear you say that, due to an update, the risk is less.
True.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 14:32   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

5. Lastly do check whether your friend got the ECU updated for DieselGate issue at VW Workshop. If yes, then you will need to remap it to bring back the 1.6 TDi explosive character.
VW Campaign Number: 23R7

I always refuse it since engine losses it feel and becomes lackluster.
Quote:
My 2014 GT TDI needed a new injector this time last year. It has required a replacement ABS sensor, and the light is on for another one. I have a gut feeling that another injector may not be far off. Yes, mine is a low mileage car that only does city stuff mostly. I do seem to get through a tankful of diesel most months, though.

Injectors are available at half the price, reconditioned. Totally no warranty, but hey, that's twice the number of injectors for the same amount of money.

In my 9 years of ongoing ownership of a Rapid TDi 2012, I can confirm that injector failure is something which could happen to just any year CLNA series engines of VAG.

I have got 6 injectors replaced in my car. One at 33k kms mark if i remember correctly. Then another two failed at 68k kms. This time Skoda changed all 4 together with the new series one after i placed the advisory and pressed for replacement. The sixth failure happened at 96k kms in 2019 which was paid for by me.

So I really have no hope or take solace from the fact that my car runs on new series injectors. They can give up on you anytime, anywhere. And yes, my car has been exclusively used for highway runs and it has always been ensured that the fuel level never went below the quarter mark. I am yet to see the low fuel light in my car. So as much as Skoda wants to blame us for running on low fuel or bad quality fuel, it's their design failure! Full marks to Skoda though for not being fussy in the replacements during warranty period.

But, hold on, I am addicted to this car! The FTD factor that this mill brings still remains unmatched in the segment. The car never underwent the dieselgate aftermath surgery. I was supposed to part ways with this 1.6 when I went for the Tiguan in 2020. However, i couldn't bring myself to give her away. She continues to be pampered like no other car in my garage and is a hoot to drive in the city now with 100k mark coming up last week and service internal maintained at 10000/1 year and timing kit changed at 80k kms.

Now, I am starting with the ABS sensor failures. One replaced and the other has conked off now. The replacement is on the way. Until then, it's the ABS light adorning the cluster.
torque18 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 15:15   #432
BHPian

All these stories are similar to my KTM Duke ownership. Fun to ride Austrian designed motorcycle, but really a horror story when it comes to reliability, service and maintenance cost. I have spent INR 1.5/km for the maintenance and it has crossed 42000km. Indeed a delicate darling, though I really enjoy riding it despite all these issues.

I will stay away from Polo 1.6 GT TDI, I really don't have the time and patience to take care of two delicate darlings. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Last edited by Romins : 16th September 2021 at 15:16. Reason: typo
Old 17th September 2021, 16:46   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will stay away from Polo 1.6 GT TDI, I really don't have the time and patience to take care of two delicate darlings. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
I think it is a shame that some people have convinced you that this car is a delicate darling. It is not. But what matters is that you have confidence in making the buy.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 19:32   #434
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine loves performance cars and bikes, but only to an extent of experiencing that rush. But I always remind him that he is just a fanboy and not a true petrol head.

Ironically, he owns an Alto

His reasoning is that he considers it a waste of time to check the engine oil, wiper washer fluid or bother about knowing what was done during service. His belief is that one buys performance car/bike to show off. I have had to argue with him many a time that car/bike for a true enthusiast and petrol head is an extension of himself/herself.

Having owned the 1.6 GT TDI for nearly 5 years and 85k Kms, I can vouch for the fact that this German beauty is definitely Not for delicate darlings!
Some bit of dedication and periodic checks that are done diligently is all it needs and is applicable to any machine. Although the Polo 1.6 GT TDI is special, it is no Porsche or Ferrari

Last edited by Vik0728 : 19th September 2021 at 19:39.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 19:08   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think it is a shame that some people have convinced you that this car is a delicate darling. It is not. But what matters is that you have confidence in making the buy.
I said that in September. A month can be a long time in car ownership!

My car is at VW service, delayed by Puja holidays, but they have advised replacement of a number of mounts and suspension parts and other components...

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20211013-7.00.28-pm.jpeg

This is in top of the ABS sensor replacement, which is going ahead.

This is advisory, so I do not think they are saying it is absolutely necessary at this time, they are saying, these parts are on the way out. At 7.5 years, should they be?

I have told them, not now. I will take the car to my independent garage for a second opinion and advice.

The car feels great to me, but if all these parts are indeed ageing noticeably, then I'm sure it would, like the tyre change, feel even better if it is done. I don't mind that!

I'd like to phase the work. But with stuff like engine+transmission+etc mountings, it is probably more economical to do that all at once.

Hey, I have the cash. It is affordable...

edit: PS. I enquired about timing belt, and was told that the criterion is 8 years or 1.2 lakh km. Parts cost around 25k. I will have to do this by next year.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th October 2021 at 19:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks