Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2015, 06:52   #1771
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
I work at a mall in new Delhi...and I have to drive my car from -2 to ground floor, and some time there is traffic. Even I sometime.feel that the cat is rolling back even If the breakers are applied which should not happen as per me.
It shouldn't actually. Go to TASS and get the brakes checked.

On inclines do you use the handbrakes or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
2. The test drive which I drove was rolling back in steep inclines in spite of using the handbrakes as tight as possible.
Seeing the few above posts, it looks like improper handbrake adjustment or some such thing. If the lever is pulled as hard as it can get then the car must NOT be rolling backwards when parked on an incline.

Tata needs to look into this issue ASAP.

What did the sales team say for the rolling backwards issue during the TD?

Last edited by a4anurag : 9th February 2015 at 06:59.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 16:32   #1772
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Seeing the few above posts, it looks like improper handbrake adjustment or some such thing. If the lever is pulled as hard as it can get then the car must NOT be rolling backwards when parked on an incline.

Tata needs to look into this issue ASAP.

What did the sales team say for the rolling backwards issue during the TD?
Sales team did not had any answer to it. Writing to tatamotors customer care was also useless. Sales guy just told me that its too much of a gradient for car to stop. Gradient was around 30~35 degrees. I currently have Tata Storme and it holds the car easily with normal pressure on handbrake on the same gradient. Storme has disk breaks on the rear wheels. I feel Zest being drum brake, its not so efficient to bite the wheels against its weight. I was concerned that if car start rolling back with just two occupants, what would be the situation when it is fully loaded.

On the other hand as our other friends suggested, using left foot on break and accelerating would help at high gradients. But afraid that we would wrongly feed our muscle memory and get messed up when moved to a manual gearbox cars.
Old 9th February 2015, 17:12   #1773
BHPian

Zest looks promising from the looks and reviews given by various sources, only the concerns due to its Tata heritage are a matter of thought. As you know I had come out of a major accident of my UVA car (2009) on NH8 last month, car is in total smashed up condition undergoing insurance claim of total loss. It was God only that saved me (not a single scratch!) as the pictures may have shown you! also perhaps the heavy front of UVA took the impact. I was very happy satisfied with it and now have to look for an alternate. Took a TD other day of this Zest but actually cannot make out much in a 10 mt TD of a New car-which surely will appear better than your old car. What do the users advice about ZEST inner space Vs. UVA (no longer made now) that i found was a real WIDE car for family outings, How is the Zest luggage space, mountain & hill driving experience (last year I had gone up to Rohtang Pass (HP) with 4 passengers effortlessly with my UVA! I am slightly thinking of going for a new car ZEST (no booking yet!) or again buy a good condition 3-4 year old UVA. PL ADVISE!
Old 9th February 2015, 17:39   #1774
BHPian

Posting here without reading all of the posts. Owners of the initial Zests, please do a check with your TASS regards the plastic retrofit in the engine bay, that prevents mud and grime from settling over the insides.
Old 9th February 2015, 20:20   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Sales team did not had any answer to it. Writing to tatamotors customer care was also useless. Sales guy just told me that its too much of a gradient for car to stop. Gradient was around 30~35 degrees. I currently have Tata Storme and it holds the car easily with normal pressure on handbrake on the same gradient. Storme has disk breaks on the rear wheels. I feel Zest being drum brake, its not so efficient to bite the wheels against its weight. I was concerned that if car start rolling back with just two occupants, what would be the situation when it is fully loaded.

On the other hand as our other friends suggested, using left foot on break and accelerating would help at high gradients. But afraid that we would wrongly feed our muscle memory and get messed up when moved to a manual gearbox cars.
This is a bit hard to imagine. Be it an automatic, then too using left foot is bad driving methodology according to me. I think the right way of doing it is to release the hand brake and immediately accelerate. If the hand brake is not holding in properly then most probably it may have to be checked with Tass.

The Tyres could also be a suspect because the tyres tend to slip on some cemented surfaces. It is advisable to try this exercise on a tar road once. If the same thing happens then there is an issue with the brakes only and not the tyres.

In this case, I feel it is the back slipping/skidding issue and not the back rolling.

Last edited by rki2007 : 9th February 2015 at 20:22.
Old 10th February 2015, 02:28   #1776
BHPian

Even I have experienced the hand brake issue. I tried using the hand-brake on the steep incline while entering the Palladium parking lot. The car actually started rolling back. Finally had to brake using the foot pedal.

Another small issue is the steering wheel when turned half way towards right makes a sound precisely at a specific angle. It goes away if turned more. It sounds as if something is rubbing against the steering column. I'll get it checked during the first service.
Old 10th February 2015, 11:58   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh_66328 View Post
Even I have experienced the hand brake issue. I tried using the hand-brake on the steep incline while entering the Palladium parking lot. The car actually started rolling back. Finally had to brake using the foot pedal.

Another small issue is the steering wheel when turned half way towards right makes a sound precisely at a specific angle. It goes away if turned more. It sounds as if something is rubbing against the steering column. I'll get it checked during the first service.
My experience in my friend's XMS RT is that the handbrake lever movement is lonnng. This means that if you pull it to the point that seems to be the last, the handbrakes still are not engaged fully. After this point, if you still pull it, you can hear 3-4 clanks more, and that is a bit higher set than other cars.
Old 10th February 2015, 13:17   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
My experience in my friend's XMS RT is that the handbrake lever movement is lonnng. This means that if you pull it to the point that seems to be the last, the handbrakes still are not engaged fully. After this point, if you still pull it, you can hear 3-4 clanks more, and that is a bit higher set than other cars.
The same problem in the Manza as well
(the hand brake tuning/setting used to be such that we had to pull it really hard to make it really prevent the car from rolling back.)

Off late, during the last service(4th year of ownership) i have noticed that the service centre has did a permanent fix to it and now the hand brake works almost like any other car.
I am sure there is some hardware upgrade that has been done.
Old 10th February 2015, 13:54   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep-ivon View Post
What do the users advice about ZEST inner space Vs. UVA (no longer made now) that i found was a real WIDE car for family outings, How is the Zest luggage space, mountain & hill driving experience (last year I had gone up to Rohtang Pass (HP) with 4 passengers effortlessly with my UVA!
I have been driving Zest Revotron for last 5 months. Interior cabin space is very good and has decent leg space even in rear. 3 Medium sized adults can sit comfortably in the rear and front bucket seats are super comfortable. Luggage space is decent with 400 liters, though loading heavy suitcases is troublesome due to high bootlip.

I feel the pulling power of Zest RT is not very good in steep inclines. In Eco/City/Sport mode we get 0/110/140 NM of Torque as per the service engineer, but still had trouble climbing steep gradients of 40 degree in 1st gear in city mode, with engine needing high revs. For the rest of the drive engine is fine and I am getting around 17km/ltr on long drives.

Over all I am happy with the car, I would suggest you to try test drive Honda Amaze if you can live with the spartan dashboard and less than satisfactory build quality (for a Honda). It has awesome interior space and good engine (though diesel is noisy).

Last edited by isandy : 10th February 2015 at 13:56. Reason: Added details on luggage space
Old 10th February 2015, 14:02   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
I work at a mall in new Delhi...
I am facing the exact same issue, I think the Hand Brake is not powerful enough to hold on steep inclines, Needs to be adjusted in my car.

I was about to mention this. Others can confirm if they are facing the same as well.

Slick
Old 10th February 2015, 16:07   #1781
BANNED

Quote:
Sales team did not had any answer to it. Writing to tatamotors customer care was also useless. Sales guy just told me that its too much of a gradient for car to stop. Gradient was around 30~35 degrees.
How can they say that the gradient is at fault and not the adjustment of the handbrake. Not all times do we get to park at flat grounds for the problem to be ignored.

Moreover placing a stone underneath the tyres to prevent it from rolling backwards/forwards is cheap in the modern day.

Someone please mail Tata higher authorities so some kind of action is taken to avoid any issues in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh_66328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
The same problem in the Manza as well
(the hand brake tuning/setting used to be such that we had to pull it really hard to make it really prevent the car from rolling back.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I am facing the exact same issue, I think the Hand Brake is not powerful enough to hold on steep inclines, Needs to be adjusted in my car

SO many similar issues with the Zest and Tata seems to be ignorant and not worried at all.
Old 10th February 2015, 17:19   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
SO many similar issues with the Zest and Tata seems to be ignorant and not worried at all.
But mine got permanently sorted out recently.
I say permanently, as now the hand brakes are perfectly deployed even if i am not
completely pulling the hand brake lever. Definately some hardware has been replaced.(i feel so)
I hope same for other Zest owners too.

Last edited by madhu33 : 10th February 2015 at 17:21.
Old 11th February 2015, 07:36   #1783
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
But mine got permanently sorted out recently.

Definately some hardware has been replaced.
That's great news! Can you look up the bill and post here so as to benefit other members. Hope the work was done under warranty?! If nothing is mentioned on the bill, can you enquire with your SA to get the details?

At least one knows what has been changed in the handbrake system.
Old 11th February 2015, 08:48   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Team BHP making its presence felt.
See the encircled part.
06th Feb 2015, TOI Supplement, Our BTM (A locality in Bangalore)

Tata Zest : Official Review-20150211-08.43.22.jpg
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 14:15   #1785
BHPian

GPS Navigation via smart phone is now provided with new Zest as per the print ad's. Checked with Tata motors service representative if this software update is made available for older Zest. He told there is no plans to provide this update now.

As per update on FB Zest user's forum this would be made available as part of Feb software upgrade, but it seems it is not the case. I am not sure why TML cannot give this update, as it is only software update. Would have brought a good amount of good will from existing customers. I will follow up with TML on this. Hope good sense prevails and they provide it for all Zest.

Most Viewed