Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2015, 00:17   #1801
BHPian

Yes I have received the entire Kit! Mobile holder is from Bracketron be careful! The model I received did not hold a 5 inch smartphone. Further, it fits right in front of the gear lever. Making shifting difficult. I have complained regarding the same. I have already brought it to TML's notice, it would be interesting to see if the mobile holder has been changed. Just check it before accepting!
Old 17th February 2015, 10:19   #1802
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenSangi View Post
Done with my 1st Servicing a week back after 3600+ kms @ Concorde Motors, Sanath Nagar - Hyderabad

Has anyone received the entire kit?
I have received the entire kit. I got the mobile holder which I have placed at the front windshield. However, I do not use it much as it makes a rattling noise when a mobile is placed in it. During your first service, did they upgrade the software.
Old 17th February 2015, 11:39   #1803

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Yes I have received the entire Kit! Mobile holder is from Bracketron be careful! The model I received did not hold a 5 inch smartphone. Further, it fits right in front of the gear lever. Making shifting difficult. I have complained regarding the same. I have already brought it to TML's notice, it would be interesting to see if the mobile holder has been changed. Just check it before accepting!
Thanks Arindam. Sure will check before accepting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdeva View Post
I have received the entire kit. I got the mobile holder which I have placed at the front windshield. However, I do not use it much as it makes a rattling noise when a mobile is placed in it. During your first service, did they upgrade the software.
No Software upgrade Deva.I have XMS variant and didn't think the up-gradation of software is relevant for XMS Infotainment and is only for XT variants (correct me if I am wrong). So didn't even check

The rattling noise is due to the phone not correctly fitting in the holder or due to any other reason?
Old 18th February 2015, 13:36   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
During your first service, did they upgrade the software.
During the first service for my Revotron XT (last week), they had updated the software. Forgot to mention the handbrake issue. Will have to take it there sometime.
Old 18th February 2015, 20:27   #1805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaveenSangi View Post

Has anyone received the entire kit?

Yes, I received the kit in full. I too had opted for Utility kit.
However, the mobile holder looks very cheap. It is bright green in color with very cheap plastic quality, looking like a Rs.100 product!

Quote:
During your first service, did they upgrade the software.
I hope you are referring to the ECU update? I had one update couple of weeks back which I took to address some engine stalling issues in Eco mode.
Today, I got a call informing about another update. Will get that update this Saturday.

As for the Harman system, there is an update waiting for sure. The existing version in my car is August 14!
Old 19th February 2015, 11:53   #1806

Hi all,

I’ve now had a chance to drive the petrol Zest on a mix of city and highway roads.

Here are some impressions and questions -

The driveability is simply brilliant and it's easy to forget this engine displaces a 'mere' 1200 cc. The first time I let it open up on the highway, I was reminded of my old cast iron engine Enfield 350 with dollops of torque and a super smooth all day cruising ability at 80 kmph.

I still haven’t driven it enough and am still wondering how fuel efficiency and performance are related. In general, it’s clear that the combination of driving modes and turbo charger has complicated the question of how to attain best fuel efficiency.

Normally with naturally aspirated passenger cars the rule of thumb is to move in the 55 to 65 kmph range. In the Zest this happens at low rpms (~ 1400). On the other hand running a little above 2000 rpm is turning out to be MORE efficient (speeds around 95 kmph).

Here’s an interesting fact. On the first highway trip I assumed that Eco and City modes would return the best fuel efficiency figures. I got 17.4 kmpl on that trip (I mostly stayed in the region of 80 kmph and 1900 rpm). Recently, we decided to use Sport mode, and to our surprise we went up to 19.3 kmpl on that trip (cruising mostly at 2050 rpm).

Also, within the city I am now getting around 13kmpl (FE has fluctuated from 12 to 14 kmpl) in Eco mode which is simply brilliant. Earlier, it was around 11 to 12 kmpl. An illustration of highway cruising helping open up the engine?

The AC was used sparingly – around 15 percent of the distance covered.

The turbo has been tuned so lightly that it’s really difficult to tell when it is switched on. At what rpm does it start spinning? Is it better to shift up a little high up (~ 2000 rpm) so that the engine picks up around an rpm (1600 ?) where the turbo is on? Or under city driving conditions is it better to shift at 1500 rpm and stick to the 1000 - 1500 rpm band?

Moving on, I also want to note in passing that the fuel gauge had started acting up within 2 months (the 1st service was done a few days ago). Irrespective of the fuel in the tank it would start to blink and indicate the low fuel warning. The electrician turned out to be competent and replaced a part (he said some resistances were not responding correctly) in the fuel tank and now it works fine.

Here’s for those like me who find the seat belt warning irritating, especially when one has to get out of the car every now and then as happens in small towns. The mechanic’s workaround – just stick a buckle from an old belt and keep it inserted in the clip. That way one is free to use the belt as and when one wants.

I am also curious to know if there is any news on the NCAP rating of the car?

Overall the COTY award is well deserved. At another level the Zest package has left me wondering why people line up to buy cars like the Honda City, a car I would rate lower as far as real world driving is concerned.

Comments welcome!
AM_SOS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 13:59   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM_SOS View Post
Hi all,

I’ve now had a chance to drive the petrol Zest on a mix of city and highway roads.

Here are some impressions and questions -

Here’s for those like me who find the seat belt warning irritating, especially when one has to get out of the car every now and then as happens in small towns. The mechanic’s workaround – just stick a buckle from an old belt and keep it inserted in the clip. That way one is free to use the belt as and when one wants.

I am also curious to know if there is any news on the NCAP rating of the car?

Overall the COTY award is well deserved. At another level the Zest package has left me wondering why people line up to buy cars like the Honda City, a car I would rate lower as far as real world driving is concerned.

Comments welcome!
Based on my 1200 KMs trip with a mix of city+highway+bad roads, I agree with most of your observations. The ECO+City+Sport mode setup makes it complicated to calculate exact FE. May be you have to try and drive one full tank in each mode at least once to find out FE per mode.

I would say the seat-belt warning beep is a must-have feature. I feel whatever way the car makes you wear the seat belt, is most welcome. Its better to be safe than sorry. I dont find any situation irritating when it comes to wearing a seat belt. I would request you to not try that silly workaround suggested by your mechanic. Wear you seat belt always.

Regarding COTY, yes even I voted for Zest, as it was the best package of all cars, including the VFM factor. I cannot comment on your Honda City comment, i dont have much hands on City, barring a few TDs.
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 22:51   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Based on my 1200 KMs trip with a mix of city+highway+bad roads, I agree with most of your observations. The ECO+City+Sport mode setup makes it complicated to calculate exact FE. May be you have to try and drive one full tank in each mode at least once to find out FE per mode.
Even I used to stay below the 1800 rpm where I believe turbo spools up in order to extract best efficiency. I think I need to recalibrate my driving see how the 2000-2500 rpm band performs.

As for, seat-belt, I think it is great that the warning beeps are there. I have even started wearing seat-belt on my old Maruti 800 out of instinct. This, considering I live in a small town.

I have not driven City but ridden one and can confirm that there is glaring cost cutting by Honda. Even the ride isn't as supple as Zest and diesel NVH is simply bad. However, I drove CRV for more than 250 kms and the engine is worth its weight in gold. I guess City engine would be in the same league.
Old 20th February 2015, 09:58   #1809
BHPian

Tata Zest : Official Review

Hi all, need your valuable suggestion. I own a ford ecosport trend variant which has covered 25000 kms. Did a test drive of the zest recently and I am mighty impressed with the quality improvements and the value for money. Is it a good idea to trade in my ecosport and buy zest with air bags? My ecosport has ABS but no airbags and also I guess I can get a good price for ecosport now as prices have gone up. Also I end up owning a new car. Your thoughts please.
Old 20th February 2015, 10:23   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
Hi all, need your valuable suggestion. I own a ford ecosport trend variant which has covered 25000 kms. Did a test drive of the zest recently and I am mighty impressed with the quality improvements and the value for money. Is it a good idea to trade in my ecosport and buy zest with air bags? My ecosport has ABS but no airbags and also I guess I can get a good price for ecosport now as prices have gone up. Also I end up owning a new car. Your thoughts please.
Though Airbags are a must have feature, and if at all you go for a new car, I would strongly recommend the variant with ABS and 2 Airbags, I don't think just for getting airbags and the new car feel is worth when you are fully satisfied with your Ecosport otherwise. If it was a Wagon R or even a Swift, you would be upgrading to a Zest, I am not sure but Zest should be a downgrade from Ecosport. This is purely as per vehicle positioning and Zest is truly a proper, good in all trades, VFM car. I would suggest getting a TD, if you like the car, IMO, you should opt for the XT trim, though XMS is excelent proposition and features ABS and 2 Airbags, I think for an Ecosport owner, XT will have bells and whistles to make it even more likeable
Old 21st February 2015, 03:30   #1811

Did anybody get the silicon key cover for the flip key? I googled and think that the flip key is identical to vw/skoda flip key. Can anyone confirm that the flip key is same as vw/skoda so i can order the one available for them, as zest's wont be available anytime soon, as it is not an international product and silicon covers come from china.
Old 2nd March 2015, 09:58   #1812
BHPian

Mumbai has been hit with non-seasonal rains,

Any Idea whether a new car needs Antirust treatment?

Any new car owners who have got it done?

- Slick
Old 2nd March 2015, 10:23   #1813
BHPian

I took my Zest XMA(AMT) delivery on last Friday and did about 320kms with city/open stretches as part of engine run-in. I had taken 4 extensive test drives (from 2 separate showrooms) prior to getting mine. I noticed 3 pleasant difference so far .

1. Hand break seems to be tweaked to work better.
2. Noticed auto gear downshift upon sudden acceleration what many had pointed out that was a feature in Maruti Celerio. This makes it really handy to while overtaking even without “S” mode. In one situation I noticed that AMT shifted gear from 5th gear (was just around 40km/s speed) to 3rd gear to give me instead push for overtaking.
3. Gear shits are much smoother. If accelerator is modulated properly, passengers in the car will not notice any gear change.

I believe this are just ECU tuning and will be available as updates to 2014 Zest AMT’s as well during service intervals.

Also, I was told that Feb manufactured cars (except XT) will not have alloys. However, I was lucky that car came with stock alloys.
csd42419 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:10   #1814
BHPian

I have a Zest QJD XMS, bought in September, 2014. I did not opt for the extended warranty or gold amc then, thinking the silver amc offered free with it was good enough. But today my dealer gave me a call and told the gold amc costs Rs 17,800 now and if I opt for it this month they will provide it for the old rate as a goodwill gesture. Now, should I indeed get the gold amc or what? Please advice. I might run around 40-50k kilometres in 3 years.
Old 3rd March 2015, 11:13   #1815

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobydick1983 View Post
I have a Zest QJD XMS, bought in September, 2014. I did not opt for the extended warranty or gold amc then, thinking the silver amc offered free with it was good enough. But today my dealer gave me a call and told the gold amc costs Rs 17,800 now and if I opt for it this month they will provide it for the old rate as a goodwill gesture. Now, should I indeed get the gold amc or what? Please advice. I might run around 40-50k kilometres in 3 years.
You are right the Gold AMC costs Rs. 17800. I just paid for it along with my new car Zest Diesel AT. Since you bought your car last year the silver AMC was part of the 333 offer which ended last year and is not being offered with 2015 cars. So since you have the Silver AMC already on your car you only need to pay for the difference amount to upgrade to a Gold AMC. The silver AMC costs about 13k to 14k approx. and yes it makes sense to go for a Gold AMC for the kind of usage that you mentioned. It covers Bumper to Bumper service and repair costs except for Tyres, Battery, Bulbs and Fuses. Safe Driving
gautamboseroy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed