Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2016, 13:43   #2551
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Seems alloy wheels are standard only in top-spec variant:
Quote:
Although the advertisement suggests that the package includes alloy wheels, a dealer we spoke to said that alloy wheels are standard only on the top-spec variant. Tata initially offered alloy wheels as standard on all the trims.
http://overdrive.in/news/tata-zest-s...a-at-rs-20000/
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:02   #2552
BHPian

Seems like Tata Painted two stripes on the sides, and Drove the car fast while the paint was still wet

Beats the Maruti special editions hands down with wacky sticker job
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:36   #2553
BHPian

Funny initiative! Why do you call it a 'SPORTS' instead of special edition. Few stickers and accessories to convert a car as Sports edition? TATA please don't do this kind of silly things.

Last edited by basubhatta : 22nd August 2016 at 15:40.
Old 24th August 2016, 17:33   #2554
DSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Hi, How is the build quality of the car? I plan to sell my Swift and buy Zest XTA. Swift rattles like anything these days. The mileage you mentioned is in sedate driving? What's the average speed.
Thanks
Sorry for the delay in replying.....
The build quality of the car is excellent. Sturdy and stable at speeds upto 120kmph. The mileage in the city is at sedate driving but the highway mileage is at speeds ranging between 80 kmph to 120 kmph.
DSK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 16:31   #2555
Distinguished - BHPian

Is Zest RWD???
Two reasons for this question:
1. A relatively huge hump (transmission tunnel) that I observed as I had to take the middle seat on the rear berth yesterday in a friend's new Zest
2. This friend and his wife kept telling me it's RWD and in "Sports" mode the front wheels also start spinning

SOS...
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 21:39   #2556
AAD
BHPian

Zest is a front wheel drive. The hump in the floor pan near and below the rear seat is to impart stiffness to the overall monocoque chassis.

Most modern cars are now front wheel driven so one does get surprised at the presence of the hump which earlier used to house the propellor shaft.

The hump is probably also utilised to route fuel and brake lines so that it remains out of harms way I guess.

As regards the sport mode, it remaps the ecu which changes the character of the engine by altering various parameters to deliver greater performance and improve responsiveness. Of course the fuel efficiency will dive southwards when driven in this mode.

Trust this help clarify the points raised by you.

Cheers
AAD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 11:17   #2557
Distinguished - BHPian

I always thought so. The friend and his wife were telling me so confidently it looks impossible to convince them! I will have to live with this fiction that there is one 4x4 Tata Zest out there which goes faster in 4WD than in RWD
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 11:28   #2558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I always thought so. The friend and his wife were telling me so confidently it looks impossible to convince them! I will have to live with this fiction that there is one 4x4 Tata Zest out there which goes faster in 4WD than in RWD
Extremely sorry for going off-topic but I couldn't resist the temptation. Sometimes it's just better to keep mum and enjoy the discussion.

Last week, I had a conversation with a colleague who was describing his ex-Accent CRDi and his new Gi10 CRDi. He said the Accent was a V6 diesel and very powerful. It went like a bullet etc and but gave only 9-10 kmpl. The i10 is half the engine size so it gives 20kmpl. Him being a senior, I couldn't argue. At the beginning, I felt like but then I realized the futility of the situation and became

Sorry again for going OT.

Last edited by ashis89 : 13th September 2016 at 11:28. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 11:42   #2559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post

The hump is probably also utilised to route fuel and brake lines so that it remains out of harms way I guess.
Purpose of creating a centre tunnel in front wheel drive cars are primarily due to:
1. to ensure platform rigidity / torsional stiffness
2. to weld the floor structure/s (LH / RH floor comes separate)
3. mounting of gearshift lever dome assembly
4. routing of gearshift cables (in case of manual transmission)
5. Exhaust routing

Flat floors are possible. Strengthening is done in other areas to compensate for lower tunnel stiffness. If engine's are lower displacement, it typically requires a narrower exhaust / smaller centre muffler in size and diameter, hence a "near - flat" floors can be done. Eg: Wagon R, Kwid.
One of the best under-body packaging came with the old Honda Jazz (new Jazz i have not checked so cannot comment). The old Jazz had an almost flat floor and the exhaust was routed along the RHS rocker panel with a conventional tail pipe exit below the rear bumper.
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 18:48   #2560
BHPian

My Tata Zest had its 2 year service today under Gold AMC, clocked only 16K kms so far.

Problems reported:
  • A rat had chewed through a cable, so front right indicator was not working.
  • Rear fuel lid was not opening properly
  • City fuel average with AC of only 8-10 kmpl (Rises to 15/16 on highways)

Work done efficiently & returned in few hours. All 15K service points done. Total paid, Rs 134, towards wheel balancing consumables. They have asked me to monitor average again now & get back to them if it doesnt improve.

Very happy with the car otherwise - no major issues, still butter smooth & silent, great music system, comfy seats, lovely on highways & corners especially in Sports mode, though it costs about 2 kmpl efficiency.

Will be doing another 3-4K South India drive in October, my third in an year.

Last edited by gsurya : 17th October 2016 at 19:01.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 14:14   #2561
BHPian

Update -

My Zest (XT RT) clutch had started juddering, when I released the clutch the car would vibrate a bit and then move(a bit like on a slope). The mileage also would not increase no matter how carefully I drove.

Showed to the SA and he confirmed that the clutch had issues, Thankfully, he changed the whole assembly under AMC for free.

Now the car is much more responsive and mileage has reverted to 11+ from 10 or less in city.

The car has run 20K kms, so it is very early for the clutch to have gone bad.
I don't ride the clutch, I am sure of that. What else could have caused the clutch to have gone bad?
I do drive with a heavy foot, will changing gears at high RPMs cause this?

I also do drive a lot in traffic but prefer changing gears to riding the clutch.

Current mileage is 11+ in city with sedate driving.

- Slick

Last edited by Slick : 20th October 2016 at 14:16.
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:33   #2562
BHPian

Update
I own a Zest XMS Revotron. Bought in Feb-2016.
Did a Bangalore-Sankarankovil-Namakkal-Tiruchengodu-Bangalore round trip last weekend. Total distance covered: about 1200 kms across 3 days. Mostly on 4-lane smooth NH44 with few hundred kms on Tamil Nadu SH including bad broken roads near Srivilliputhur-Rajapalayam-Sankarankovil stretch.

No. of PAX: 4 adults + 1 child plus lots of luggage. AC on full-time.
Tyre pressure: 34 psi on all tyres.

Sedate driving mostly 80-100 kmph on NH and 50-70 kmph on SH.
Fuel efficiency: 19.5 according to MID; 17.3 according to tankful method.

Ride quality was brilliant - no fatigue to driver or passengers. No rattles so far in the car. So far I've covered about 7100kms in the last 8 months.
If this car were a cricket player then it would be Rahul Dravid - solid, dependable yet underrated.
srvm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 17:52   #2563
BHPian

Can someone let me know the headlamp rating for the zest? low beam and high beam both.

Also, any leads on upgrading the headlamps?
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:00   #2564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
Can someone let me know the headlamp rating for the zest? low beam and high beam both.

Also, any leads on upgrading the headlamps?
Here are the bulb ratings for Zest (taken from User Manual)
Sorry. I haven't thought of upgrading them since I'm happy with the stock ones so far.

Tata Zest : Official Review-bulb.png
Old 3rd November 2016, 18:02   #2565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Here are the bulb ratings for Zest (taken from User Manual)
Sorry. I haven't thought of upgrading them since I'm happy with the stock ones so far.

Attachment 1573180
Thanks!

@ all.

Any reviews for the night breaker for the low beam?

http://www.amazon.in/Osram-P64210-Ni..._OWZGxb5DN20WD

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks