Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 15:55   #2476
BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
I personally visited 3 different showrooms before finalizing on one, who gave me a good deal, were interested to sell, and answered all queries swiftly. I remember from the moment I bought the car, till after my first service, I got regular calls from the dealership checking on my ownership experience, any issues I might be facing, and reminder for the 1st service. I had small niggles in the car, which the service centre resolved very promptly. Overall, I am very happy with the after-sales experience.
Can I know from which dealer you eventually bought the car from? I am looking to buy a Bolt or a TIAGO for my 65year old father in Delhi and since been out of touch with that city for some time now I need your advice on this.
Old 18th May 2016, 19:50   #2477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Can I know from which dealer you eventually bought the car from? I am looking to buy a Bolt or a TIAGO for my 65year old father in Delhi and since been out of touch with that city for some time now I need your advice on this.
Hi, I bought mine from Autovikas, Moti Nagar.

Pls check your PM for details.
Old 19th May 2016, 16:19   #2478
BHPian

Tata Zest facelift is coming next year, claims Motoroctane.

"Tata will be launching the facelift of one of its best selling cars – the Zest, in 2017. The Zest was the car that brought about a change of perspective by customers for Tata Motors and it offered an economical and reliable option to customers. The Zest facelift will improvise on several fronts including styling and features, that will make the Zest look and feel more premium than the existing model."

Source: Motoroctane

Last edited by keeprevving : 19th May 2016 at 16:20.
keeprevving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 18:04   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
but I intend to push them for an air filter update if this has helped in your case.
Got the air filter replaced last week. The loss of power problem would frequently happen on select stretches of road, on the route to office. After 1 week of running with the new air filter, it hasn't happened again and I am hoping it stays that way. The only other change I made, which might have had a bearing on the occurrence of this problem, was to fill up Shell petrol this time (earlier I used to fill up from BPCL/Reliance)
Old 19th May 2016, 19:55   #2480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
[b]The Zest facelift will improvise on several fronts including styling and features, that will make the Zest look and feel more premium than the existing model."

More premium?
Is the new 1.5 110bhp engine going into the Zest?

Anyhow, if there is one thing that Tata should do is.
Just like the Tiago, swarm the Zest interiors with cubbyholes and cup holders.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 13:48   #2481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Thanks for your detailed reply which is much appreciated.
I think another BHPian simplyself has answered your query with regards to the 're-sale' value.
I really believe in this statement - "If you park your car and don't look back at it as you walk away - you bought the wrong car."

I would rather buy a Zest, enjoy it for 4-5 years without worrying about re-sale 'value' - because I would enjoy it everyday, the feel, the comfort, the driving pleasure. To me THAT is value. After all, what do we earn for? To enjoy and feel 'nice' in life. A car is not a business investment unlike maybe a property that you intend to rent.
If I was trying to buy a 'car' to be used as an Uber Taxi - sure - eyes closed I would have bought the Dzire. I don't have to drive it, nor sit in it, definitely maintenance maybe cheaper with a driver abusing it and resale may be better.
But that's not the case.

As for the parts - I am not sure what dealer you are going to - I have never had to wait more than 3 days for a part. I just call and if it's not in stock it's arranged for and then they pick up my car, do the needful and drop it back. Simple. Hasslefree. Again just my experience. If you are not enjoying your experience, I strongly recommend escalating the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
I did a lot of research on automatics this year. The caveat is that I ended up not buying one as I feel I should wait for one or two more iterations in the industry before autos can deliver the features and price points to my satisfaction.
I totally agree to this point. Thank you for echoing all my sentiments.
Yes, Renault & Mahindra are not on the table. Not at all. Sorry.
Ford Ecosport - brilliant. My friend owns one and drives for Uber. Infact he is a BHPian too. Loved his car. Ecosport Automatic. But yes, it goes a tad over-budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Baleno is not available in the top variant, it was first available only in top -2 Delta variant and recently the AT was launched in the top-1 variant zeta. The Alpha is the top variant.

If you are not in too much of a hurry worth waiting to see where the VW Ameo compact sedan is going to slot in. That is coming with a diesel dsg automatic.

Zest is probably the most VFM option though.
Thank you for the valuable info! Especially regards the Baleno.
I really am not interested in the Ameo. For starters, just did not like the look. I find it ugly, just my opinion maybe. And secondly, the Polo costs 10.5 OTR. I am sure the Ameo in it's top specced avatar will be beyond 11.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Nice to see Zest being defended even by those who do not own it.
ALL valid points. Perfectly agree. Thank you!.

Quote:
Having driven the Zest XTA for over 15k Kms in 6 months, I definitely vote in favor of it.

Hope this helps you in making your decision.
Thank you! Definitely helps. A genuine user's perspective, especially long term is of paramount importance. Thank you indeed.
Just a query - the minor AMT niggles you mentioned, weren't they solved by some software update ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
More premium?
Is the new 1.5 110bhp engine going into the Zest?
Unfortunately not. I believe it will have a ton of changes to the interior, to bring it to Tiago levels. Not really sure what they will change with the exteriors. It does look good as it is.
That engine might be launched with the Nexon. With the Zest not doing too well on sales, they have downgraded the XE & XM variants to 75 ps - probably aiming at the taxi market.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 09:54   #2482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post

Just a query - the minor AMT niggles you mentioned, weren't they solved by some software update ?
These niggles are inherent part of the AMT. There is no software update for these issues.
Old 28th May 2016, 12:01   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
These niggles are inherent part of the AMT. There is no software update for these issues.
Thank you for the reply. Appreciated.
Inherent to the AMT in Zest or AMT in general?
Old 28th May 2016, 12:39   #2484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Thank you for the reply. Appreciated.
Inherent to the AMT in Zest or AMT in general?
Inherent to AMT in general. Those are not even niggles. You would learn to live with them and they won't bother you really.
Old 28th May 2016, 23:48   #2485
BHPian

Have anybody heard of converting AMT to Manual gearbox. Is it feasible to do it in Tata Zest XMA. If yes how much time and money it would cost?
Old 29th May 2016, 11:23   #2486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
Have anybody heard of converting AMT to Manual gearbox. Is it feasible to do it in Tata Zest XMA. If yes how much time and money it would cost?
I don't have any answers for you but this sounds drastic- why would you want top do that?
C'estlavie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 12:17   #2487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think its quite easy to do this than to convert a conventional autobox to manual. You just have to source the gear shifter parts, gear cable, clutch pedal and master cylinder. I dont think the expense will cross 10k. Only side effect would be a transmission failure light that might need some tweaking to turn off. Some amount of research will definitely make the job easier.

That said, why??
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 06:53   #2488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'estlavie View Post
I don't have any answers for you but this sounds drastic- why would you want top do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think its quite easy to do this than to convert a conventional autobox to manual. You just have to source the gear shifter parts, gear cable, clutch pedal and master cylinder. I dont think the expense will cross 10k. Only side effect would be a transmission failure light that might need some tweaking to turn off. Some amount of research will definitely make the job easier.

That said, why??
Thanks for your feedback.

I have used my Zest AMT for 15months now. I feel the AMT most enjoyable to drive on semi traffic condition and out on the open stretches. In bumper to bumper traffic there are minor niggles that I often miss having a clutch setup which give good control to make small quick maneuvers easy. With AMT I need to be always cautious about applying accelerator very sensitively and keep good clearance between other vehicles. When the traffic is in upward gradient it makes it more trickier. Need to press accelerator bit harder but there is a chance that it will be more than required and car tends to jump a step scarily. Other way round, if lighter on the accelerator there is a chance of car going back as there is no hill stop or 2 sec hold feature. You have more work to do then a manual diesel in this case as we need to use the hand break in sync to assist the situation. Another thing is when in slower traffic speeds (around 10~15kmph) there is this typical situation where I keep crawling with computer keeping the car in half clutch mode and it decides that I would accelerate further and releases the clutch and in fact I would be breaking to stop it urgently due to vehicle ahead has stopped suddenly. In this situation the breaking distance changes the effect will be like pressing break and accelerator simultaneously as AMT has released the clutch releasing more torque. Also many times I wish car would stay in second gear in slower flat traffic roads but AMT is eager to shift it to first pretty soon which gives a jerky feeling.

Over all the I am really satisfied with Zest with its build and ride quality . This minor niggles keep haunting me to look for options. Changing the car to diesel XT or other alternate is loosing around 2~3Lacs which makes me to think if I can make this manual for under 20k.

I had sent my car to TM service station asking to check if there is any TCU update to fix these issues. I always feels the service advisers are not technically competent yet to advice and take care of AMT. I was told that “sir, our mechanic had connected laptop and checked everything and now the car is perfect” . I believed that software update version which shows in infotainment system is the actual TCU/ECU ROM update. But I doubt it now as there is no change on this number till now in any service (5k+15service done so far). The version it shows is V9.11 and last update Dec 12014. My car was purchased on Feb 2015. Co-incidentally after I got my car yesterday from service center the feel has changed a bit. Gear shifts feel smoother and less jerkier in slow speeds when it toggles in first and second gear. I need to run it for few days in real traffic situations to ascertain this though.
csd42419 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 17:01   #2489
BHPian

Quote:

sir, our mechanic had connected laptop and checked everything and now the car is perfect” .

I have heard exactly the same thousand times now by my service advisors from Concorde.

I'm working with them to rectify the shuddering and jerks problems on my Revotron.
Old 6th June 2016, 13:19   #2490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Tata Zest facelift is coming next year, claims Motoroctane.

"Tata will be launching the facelift of one of its best selling cars – the Zest, in 2017. The Zest was the car that brought about a change of perspective by customers for Tata Motors and it offered an economical and reliable option to customers. The Zest facelift will improvise on several fronts including styling and features, that will make the Zest look and feel more premium than the existing model."

Very interesting! Hope we get a few CNG variants too. Pity we cant 'build our own' like abroad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks